Bangkok Hotels — General Advice and Discussion [consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Bangkok Hotels — General Advice and Discussion [consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9, 2015, 1:39 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K HYglob Marr LT Titanium
In defense of the ROS the lounge has been remodeled ~2yrs ago and maintains a more modern setting,food and service in the evening is still a strong point.
Complaints of platinum guests stems from change of policy in regards to taking breakfast downstairs,no longer an option,lounge only.
Another policy change that soured many was complimentary laundry (6 pieces a day) for frequent guestis of 10 stays or more is no longer
offered
I have to admit it was a bit too generous.

The hotel still does a very good job in upgrading platinum guests to exec suites.
For money paid and what you get the ROS still offers good value
With careful planning one has a good chance of BRG
Old Jun 11, 2015, 5:31 am

Originally Posted by Kalboz
My last stay at the ROS was back in 2010 and I personally like the riverside location of the ROS and the Millennium Hilton. Never stayed at the Hilton, but have had many memorable meals at 360 and Prime and next door at "Be My Guest". Reports about both riverside properties here and elsewhere are not encouraging though as service and amenities have deteriorated considerably in recent years. Now, the ROS caters mainly to tour groups and they treat guests like cattle (mass production) - SPG Platinums complain often about this property. I very much like and highly recommend the Marriott Sukhumvit 57 for the great service, awesome Platinum recognition & treatment, and the authentic/convenient location.

[snipped for thread flow and readability]
WOW! Can't thank you enough for all the detailed info between the two. Appreciate your time to comment and your expertise !!

Originally Posted by lovtofly3
In defense of the ROS the lounge has been remodeled ~2yrs ago and maintains a more modern setting,food and service in the evening is still a strong point.
Thank you as well for your insight and opinions!

Last edited by aBroadAbroad; Jun 23, 2015 at 3:47 am Reason: Snipped quoted pics, merged consecutive posts
Old Jun 12, 2015, 7:24 pm

I haven't seen much discussion in this thread about the Plaza Athenee (though I've read through the master thread). I have two nights booked in January (seems like a good value with SPG points). It'll be my first time in Bangkok and have a friend or two with me. For anyone that's stayed at them, how does this property compare to SGS or the GH? Fwiw, I aim to do some sightseeing and likely want to check out bars.
Old Jun 15, 2015, 9:32 pm

Programs: SPG Plat Lifetime, CX Diamond, LH SEN, TK Elite / *A Gold
Originally Posted by lovtofly3
Complaints of platinum guests stems from change of policy in regards to taking breakfast downstairs,no longer an option,lounge only.
Another policy change that soured many was complimentary laundry (6 pieces a day) for frequent guestis of 10 stays or more is no longer
offered
I have to admit it was a bit too generous.

The hotel still does a very good job in upgrading platinum guests to exec suites.
For money paid and what you get the ROS still offers good value
With careful planning one has a good chance of BRG
The St.Regis just recently changed their laundry policy to 4/5 pcs. per day. Mentionable move I might say.

The ROS is a crappy hotel (in the 5* SPG bracket) which needed the laundry direly to attract my business. I had a significant number of stays there over the last 12 years... but not the last two years anymore. It is just too bad compared to the superior packages of the other SPG offers in BKK. Recently I booked a night to try it again and can only confirm the sub-par delivery in service and hard product. The only reason for this hotel is the price, which is low but low for not only one reason. If you are on a budget and a plt, go for it... but also consider the additional costs for getting there and getting around (taxi).

I do only recommend the ROS for families and BKK newbies for the first days arriving in Thailand to adjust to weather and time zone at the pool in the garden of the Portuguese embassy. That is a selling point inside Bangkok city. Many people here have very different agendas coming to BKK and would be ill-advised with a stay in the ROS... although the bar downstairs is festered with hookers.
Old Aug 18, 2015, 9:23 am

I am looking for an advice for a hotel in november.

I do not want to spend more than 80 to 100 USD/night including taxes. Howsoever breakfast is not necessary in BKK but neither my favorite hotel (The Landmark) nor the second option (Sofital) will qualify this time.

I prefer the Sukhumvit area and want to stay at a hotel closed to BTS "Nana" or "Asok" as trips to Phra Khanong, Phaya Thai and Saphan Khwai are planned.

I appricate any opinion on:
- Furama Xclusive Asoke (I am sceptical due to the wading pools as I prefer a real one but it is looking new)
- Aloft - Soi 11
- Park Plaza - Sukhumvit Soi 18
- any hotel I have not considered yet but you can recommend to me

Thanks a lot
Old Aug 18, 2015, 1:32 pm

Originally Posted by BorussiaMG
I prefer the Sukhumvit area and want to stay at a hotel closed to BTS "Nana" or "Asok" as trips to Phra Khanong, Phaya Thai and Saphan Khwai are planned.
Here's who agoda.com offers mid Nov in Sukhumvit area: http://www.agoda.com/pages/agoda/def...k=635755481680

Drill down for Nana/Asoke area using their map function, then cross check with trip advisor. Quite a few good options.

Terminal 21 Centrepoint is at Asoke BTS for more than your price range. But with the recent bombing, maybe you'll get lucky -- real nice facility.

Last edited by dtsm; Aug 18, 2015 at 1:39 pm
Old Aug 18, 2015, 2:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Majestic Grande (although it's nearer BTS Ploenchit than Nana) would be my usual recommendation in that price range, but for some reason it is WAY more expensive now than usual; at ~5000 baht/night for the random Nov days I checked, you can do much better.

edited: I was misreading the total prices for a multi-night stay as price per night. At the 2500-2800 baht a night (and they do show prices nett, not pre-tax, which is good!) I'm seeing for my dates in October and a totally random pair of dates I picked in November, it's a very good deal and I recommend it.

S15 is directly on Sukhumvit, fairly short walk to Asoke BTS and MRT and slightly longer to Nana, and a pleasant place. I don't think it has a pool, though.

Aloft is a nice property, but quite a long walk up Soi 11.

Last edited by nkedel; Aug 18, 2015 at 11:29 pm
Old Aug 18, 2015, 8:35 pm

I've stayed at all 4 and there's better options. Grande Miilenium should be in your price range. Maduzi, Fraser Suites, Adelphi Suites, Dynasty Grande. the Column, the Continent, Park Plaza (not 18) etc. My favorite would be Adelphi Grande on 41. It's right across from Emporium/Phrom Phong BTS. Nice big rooms, good gym and pool, and a Tops supermarket on the corner. It's a better 'hood' than Nana or Asoke. I've stayed at all of them except Maduzi, but the write ups for the place look great.

Last edited by whackyjacky; Aug 18, 2015 at 9:23 pm
Old Aug 19, 2015, 1:24 am

Thanks for your feedback. It helps a lot and I will have a closer look at the hotels mentioned.
Old Aug 19, 2015, 4:47 am

Programs: NZ*S
Hi all, after a few suggestions for budget accommodation in Bangkok for a first time visitor.

Looking at 2-3 weeks in late October to early November.

Travelling alone, and really just need somewhere with a clean comfy bed to get a decent nights sleep (ie, AC is required) and safely store my gear, preferably with reasonable transport connections. Good wifi would be a bonus, but not essential as I'll grab a local SIM to upload my photos to the cloud.

Nightlife and shopping aren't a priority, will mostly be roaming round with my camera working on my street photography skills or daytripping to do landscapes and some of the touristy stuff between visits to one of the dental clinics.

Suggestions?
Old Aug 19, 2015, 9:15 am

Originally Posted by SpannerSpinner
Hi all, after a few suggestions for budget accommodation in Bangkok for a first time visitor.
You mention budget accommodations, but would probably be better to give an amount. Is budget up to 1000 baht/night? 3000? etc. The ones listed in the above posts are good choices for the up to 3000 baht/night range.
Old Aug 19, 2015, 9:44 am

Looking at 2-3 weeks in late October to early November.
Suggestions?
See my recent post, agoda.com filters with location/price, use map function to drill to specific locations and cross check with trip advisor.

If you have a specific hotel in mind, let us know. Bkk has excellent budget hotels, many include free wifi and breakfast, room safe. I would stick with locations near the BTS/MRT stops.

And with the recent bombing, hotel rates will drop....good deals available.
Old Aug 19, 2015, 9:58 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeWyndham Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz PC, Hilton DMD, IHG Spire Amb, Bonvoy Titanium Elite & WoH Globalist
Originally Posted by whackyjacky
Grande Miilenium should be in your price range.
WJ, Grande Millenium rebranded, no?
Old Aug 19, 2015, 10:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
[..]
Suggestions?
For 3 weeks and possibly two, you probably do best with a serviced apartment, which can save you a lot compared to a nicer place and be nicer than backpacker-grade hotels.

The cheapest decent hotel I'm familiar with is Majestic Suites, Sukhumvit by Soi 4. 1305 baht (net of taxes) per night for their least expensive room type, and surprisingly they do have 3 weeks open straight of that room class in late Oct/early Nov.

They also might offer a long-stay discount -- you'd need to contact them directly.

I'm sure there are less expensive secure places, both around the lower Sukhumvit tourist/expat ghetto, and around Khao San (which fails the test of easy transit connections though), and I'm sure plentiful places that don't tend to be where foreigners hang out.

Unless you found someplace that offered a long stay discount (which seems fairly likely), three weeks is that's long enough I'd want to switch hotels/neighborhoods at least once or twice; maybe even for two.
Old Aug 19, 2015, 1:24 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
Hmm.. i was looking up my itinerary and it states I'm going to be charged deposit of 2000 baht per night? dammmmmmmm I hope they refunded that quickly =/

it's at Avani Atrium Bangkok

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.