Bangkok Hotels — General Advice and Discussion [consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8, 2012, 1:14 pm

Programs: AI Gold, TK Gold, QR Silver, 9W BluePlus
General Bangkok/Thailand Hotel chatter, Open discussion...

Looking to travel to Bangkok in October end this year stay there for 4 nights before heading to samui with friends and then back to bkk for 2 nights. Want to save a little bit so was thinking of either getting Somerset lake point or grand president for the first leg both below 2k bt per night. Your suggestions? Want to be near soi8 as my 2 year old daughter loved the diss king food last time we were there
On our way back looking to stay near central mbk etc for about 100 usd a night. Any suggestions for the same. Thanks.
Old Jun 8, 2012, 1:44 pm

Haven't stayed at the Somerset Lake in 5 years or so. I liked it a lot though. Breakfast room was a madhouse however. I've seen it for around 1500 at times. Haven't stayed at the GP. Near 8, the Grande Sukhumvit has been going for around 1800 (ai) lately and it's a great hotel at that price. The Accor Summer Sale should be coming up soon too. You might get it even cheaper. I liked the new Ramada on 12, it had a great pool area. On 8 is a nice hotel if you don't need a pool and Citadines are all a good value if you do. Down by MBK, I don't have a lot of experience, but I had a nice stay at the Evergreen Laurel using up Eva miles. I didn't pay, but it seemed like a bargain for the 2000 I see it advertized for. wj
Old Jul 3, 2012, 8:23 pm

Hello Chaps,

This is Andrew Millichamp. I will be visiting Bangkok for 3-4 days and have previously stayed at the JW Marriott in Sukhumvit Soi 3.

While that is a good hotel, I am looking for some other recommendations.

I have the highest loyalty status with Marriott, Starwood and Hilton.

Any of these chains have newer properties? I am looking for 4* and above.

Which property out of these brands would you recommend? I am going for rest and relaxation.

Thanks lads,
Andrew
Old Jul 3, 2012, 8:32 pm

Sheraton grande sukhumvit, free breakfast and upgrade with your platinum status
Old Jul 3, 2012, 8:46 pm

Thank you. Do you know how the Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit compares to the JW Marriott?

Thanks,
Andrew
Old Jul 3, 2012, 9:30 pm

R U Plat ? Who do you have the most status with ? Nothing wrong w/the Marriott. Everything being even - I'd rather be at the Conrad, SGS, or St Regis though. If you're a bigger deal to Marriott - I' rather be there in a suite. Hard to make a bad decision in this group. wj
Old Jul 3, 2012, 9:41 pm

Hi whackyjacky,

Thanks for your reply. I am Platinum with Marriott and SPG and Diamond with Hilton.

Which are the newest properties of these chains?

Thanks,
Andrew
Old Jul 3, 2012, 10:29 pm

Originally Posted by andymillichamp
Hi whackyjacky,

Thanks for your reply. I am Platinum with Marriott and SPG and Diamond with Hilton.

Which are the newest properties of these chains?

Thanks,
Andrew
If that's your criteria, you'll want the St Regis. SGS is the oldest. Conrad next and Marriott 2nd newest. I'm not plat with anybody, so talk to those that are. My experience in a reg room will probably have nothing in common with yours ! wj
Old Jul 4, 2012, 10:13 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Moved to Thailand Forum for better exposure and response.

JDiver, Senior Moderator
Old Jul 6, 2012, 3:09 pm

I don't think you can go materially wrong with the St. Regis, SGS, Conrad, or JW Marriott. You might want to check the SPG, Hilton, and Marriott forums to find out which hotel offers the best perks to guests with elite status.

I know SPG Platinum guests often get suite upgrades at St. Regis and SGS.
Old Jul 7, 2012, 7:10 pm

Hi friends,

Thank you for your replies. I decided to stay at the JW Marriott as I have stayed there before, and given the short trip I opted for familiarity as opposed to trying out a new area.

I was very keen on the St. Regis, but just did not make it happen.

Thank you!
Andrew
Old Sep 4, 2013, 7:51 pm

Best chain hotel in Bangkok?

Traveling for lesure and considering staying at a chained hotel (SPG, Accor, Marriott, Hyatt). Which one would you recommend based on location and your experience?
Thank you
Old Sep 5, 2013, 8:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Huh? Price? Location? Facilities? Transportation options? What's important to you?
Old Sep 5, 2013, 9:16 pm

Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
Huh? Price? Location? Facilities? Transportation options? What's important to you?
I am going to use points (Marriott, SPG, Hyatt, IC) and pay about $100 for Accor. Loyalty recognition is important (included breakfast especially). Local feel is important to me as well (JW looks fine, but I don`t see anything special with a local touch).
Old Sep 8, 2013, 12:25 am

I like the Grand Sheraton on Sumkhavit. Nice pool area, breakfast buffet and convenient to mass transit. Dixie.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.