Bangkok Hotels — General Advice and Discussion [consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Bangkok Hotels — General Advice and Discussion [consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2011, 3:17 am

Originally Posted by forumpersona999
There's a Holiday Inn opening between Suhumvit 20 and 22. Construction is in full swing.
Wonder what they will do with the Holiday Inn near the Intercon by the Erawan shrine?
Old Jan 22, 2011, 4:25 am
formerly known as 2lovelife
Original Poster

Location: ORF : UA_Premier_Gold4Life, Bonvoy_titanium, Accor_Plat
Also a Holiday Inn Express in Patong, Phuket which should bring great prices along with it.

Also a head's up to a great Sheraton Sukhumvit rate currently being discussed at the bottom of this page here
Old Jan 24, 2011, 12:07 pm
Marriott Contributor BadgeWyndham Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz PC, Hilton DMD, IHG Spire Amb, Bonvoy Titanium Elite & WoH Globalist
Watch out!

The Chinese are coming!

http://www.bangkokpost.com/travel/ne...inese-tourists

Over 57 million Chinese tourists will travel abroad this year and Thailand expects to lure 1.3 million visitors from the mainland in 2011. According to the China Tourism Academy, China remained Asia's largest source of outbound tourists and their spending abroad this year is expected to climb to a staggering US$55 billion (1.6 trillion baht).
Old Jan 24, 2011, 12:25 pm
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Originally Posted by eastnortheast
Wonder what they will do with the Holiday Inn near the Intercon by the Erawan shrine?
I'm guessing they will rent out rooms to people. There is room for plenty of hotels.
Old Jan 24, 2011, 8:46 pm

Originally Posted by yosithezet
I'm guessing they will rent out rooms to people. There is room for plenty of hotels.
Touche!
Old Jan 25, 2011, 8:14 am
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

Originally Posted by eastnortheast
That hotel (along with the IC) won't be going anywhere - it's not owned by the hotel chain.
Old Jan 25, 2011, 11:37 am

Programs: Air: Air Canada Altitude Super Elite 100K Million Mile, Hotel: Starwood Platinum Lifetime
Le Meridien Bangkok

One of my favorites is the Le Meridien Bangkok. Hotel is gorgeous, attentive staff and great food in the restaurants. The hotel is in the Patpong area. While the night market is a fun place to shop and bargain the "alternative entertainment" nearby may not be for everyone.
Old Jan 25, 2011, 12:15 pm

Programs: Hertz PC, Hilton DMD, IHG Spire Amb, Bonvoy Titanium Elite & WoH Globalist
Originally Posted by yosithezet
Starwood's St. Regis Bangkok is openning April of this year at Ratchaprasong and the W Bangkok at Sathorn planned openning of May 2012 ... plenty of choices for those of you who prefer *wood.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kalboz/5268536340/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/kalboz/5267919221/

Also, with the anticipated opennings of the Regent Hotel & Residences and the Sofitel Sukhumvit Hotel this will really clean up the area around Sukhumvit Soi 13 ... any firm dates when those two properties will finally open?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kalboz/5243525324/
http://www.watg.com/?pageid=52B3FD91...A20AB9B6304008
Old Jan 25, 2011, 7:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by sd5187
One of my favorites is the Le Meridien Bangkok. Hotel is gorgeous, attentive staff and great food in the restaurants. The hotel is in the Patpong area. While the night market is a fun place to shop and bargain the "alternative entertainment" nearby may not be for everyone.
Sd5187, I see that you're relatively new here, perhaps not in time, but certainly in number of posts. Great to have you here, and your input is welcome!!! For whatever reason, regular Starwood Bangkok guests are fanatics about their particular favorite properties, -- far more so than any religious fanatic I've come across. You'll find plenty of lively debate in the Starwood forum about the relative merits of each property, with each poster vehemently defending his/her favorite. (It won't take you too much reading to figure out that I'm an SGS man.)

So, for my USD$.02, apart from not particularly caring for LM's location, I stayed there last January (2009) and felt not even close to being cool enough to be staying there, what with the beautiful and trendily dressed staff. That said, I'll go over there this afternoon to buy some of those excellent chocolate/espresso bars.
Old Jan 25, 2011, 10:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
I agree that the LM BKK is a great hotel. I just stayed there again a few days ago. But the others have their charms.
Old Jan 26, 2011, 11:27 pm

Asia Pacific is Starwood's Leading Growth Market

Growth for Starwood's high-caliber brands is also picking up in Thailand, where it will add four Starwood hotels to its portfolio this year, including two Four Points by Sheraton hotels, an Aloft hotel and The St. Regis Bangkok. Starwood is also growing its footprint in Malaysia, with two ...
Bolding is mine ... we know where one 4P is, the second one is in Bangkok also?

Last edited by Kalboz; Jan 27, 2011 at 3:23 am
Old Jan 27, 2011, 3:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kalboz
Bolding is mine ... when know where one 4P is, the second one is in Bangkok also?
Yes on South Sathorn Road.
http://www.starwoodhotels.com/prefer...ropertyID=3436

And also Phuket:
http://www.starwoodhotels.com/prefer...ropertyID=3383
Old Feb 2, 2011, 6:00 pm

TCC Group plans four new hotels in Kingdom next year

The Plaza Athenee owner is in the planning phase for 4 new hotels in Thailad.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/2011...-30147696.html

The group plans to open three hotels in Bangkok and one on Koh Samui in Surat Thani province.

It will start with the Okura Prestige Hotel in Bangkok in March 2012, which will be managed by Japanese hotel chain Okura Group.

The group later will open Hilton Bangkok on Sukhumvit Soi 26. The hotel will feature 280 rooms and will target luxury markets, both business and leisure travellers.

Another hotel is Double Three by Hilton, representing a new brand of fourstar hotels in Thailand, on Sukhumvit Soi 24. Leisure travellers are the main targets for the hotel.

The last property will be Sheraton Samui, consisting of 88 pool villa units, to open its doors late next year. Its main market is international tourists.

Baurin said Charoen owned 40 hotels with a total of more than 9,000 rooms in Thailand and overseas, in Japan, Singapore, Australia, Vietnam, Malaysia, Cambodia and the United States.

Twenty of the hotels are in Thailand and the rest outside, and most of the hotels are managed by international chains.
I better start getting my HHonors situation up and going with points and status ... any recent AMEX offers for elite HH membership tier?
Old Feb 3, 2011, 12:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by Kalboz
I better start getting my HHonors situation up and going with points and status ... any recent AMEX offers for elite HH membership tier?
Yes, with two stays you get Diamond level if you have an US Amex Centurion. I think all other Centurion members get Diamond automatically.
Old Feb 3, 2011, 3:43 am

$2,500/year membership fee for the US-issued AMEX Centurion Card otherwise known as the Black Card ... I have SPG and Costco AMEX cards and used to have a Blue AMEX Optima but I don't think any of those would work ... any other ideas?

Thank you stimpy!

The card, available for personal and business use, offers services such as a dedicated concierge and travel agent, complimentary companion airline tickets on international flights on selected airlines with the purchase of a full fare ticket, personal shoppers at retailers such as Escada, Gucci, and Neiman Marcus, access to airport clubs, first class flight upgrades, membership in Sony's Cierge personal shopping program, and dozens of other elite club memberships. Hotel benefits include one free night when at least one paid night is booked during the same stay in every Mandarin Oriental hotel worldwide once a year (except for the New York City property), and privileges at hotel chains like Ritz-Carlton, Leading Hotels of the World, and Amanresorts. All of the benefits mentioned above are for United States-issued cards. American Express Centurion cards issued in other countries may include different benefits. The card has recently added new amenities, including access into the Virgin Atlantic Flying Club Gold, as well as US Airways Platinum Preferred status as of June 1, 2007 in addition to Continental Gold* and Delta Gold. As of August 14, 2007, American Airlines Admirals Club access was added to the list of amenities. As of August 1, 2010, the card will provide unlimited access to all US Airways Clubs regardless which carrier the cardmember is traveling on (unlike Delta, Continental & American). The card also features complimentary enrollment in Hertz Rent A Car #1 Club Gold and the Avis Rent A Car Presidents club.

According to a letter sent to Centurion cardholders, Continental benefits will cease in October 2011.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.