Bangkok Hotels — General Advice and Discussion [consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Bangkok Hotels — General Advice and Discussion [consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2011, 9:37 pm

Originally Posted by yosithezet
I think some of our budget travelers, not just you, don't realize that the Thais who drive Mercedes, shop at Paragon or enjoy Sunday brunch at the Four Seasons are just as "real" and authentic as the farmers working for a pittance.
Disagree. But I'm from Nebraska, so I side with the farmers.
Old Jan 14, 2011, 12:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
I like to lay my head down in 5 star comfort, but spend the day or evening out on the street. One thing I rarely ever do is go to a restaurant in Thailand. The food is so great out on the street.

I'm typing this at the Oriental, and about to head up to the LM Chiang Mai. Both of which I got great deals on. It's not about throwing money away on luxury, but rather getting the most for your hard earned money. Bang for the buck, as the Americans say.
Old Jan 14, 2011, 12:50 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Originally Posted by CrazyInteg
Disagree. But I'm from Nebraska, so I side with the farmers.
I'm from Pittsburgh, I side with hard-working people. Hi-so culture is no less "real" than Lo-so. The Thais that show up for Sunday brunch with their kids a the 5 stars are no less authentic than th folks I sit next to having chicken noodle soup outside 7-11 across the street.
Old Jan 14, 2011, 3:00 am

Programs: UA 1k 1MM, AA Exec Plat, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, Accor ?????
Originally Posted by yosithezet
I'm from Pittsburgh, I side with hard-working people. Hi-so culture is no less "real" than Lo-so. The Thais that show up for Sunday brunch with their kids a the 5 stars are no less authentic than th folks I sit next to having chicken noodle soup outside 7-11 across the street.
I won't argue about whether the lo-so types are more "authentic" - a term that is tricky to define anyway - but we can probably agree that they are more "representative". I would also guess that the hi-so types are a bit more westernized.

In any case, for me it's a non-issue. The hotel is just a comfortable base for when I'm not out exploring. It doesn't itself have to represent Thailand. I don't need to sleep on the floor in a small shack with no AC just because that's how the average Thai does it.
Old Jan 14, 2011, 3:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BigE
II would also guess that the hi-so types are a bit more westernized.
That is definitely not the case amongst the nationalistic wealthy Thai crowd. Of which most I've been exposed to are.

I don't need to sleep on the floor in a small shack with no AC just because that's how the average Thai does it.
I agree completely!
Old Jan 14, 2011, 7:48 am

Originally Posted by BigE
I don't need to sleep on the floor in a small shack with no AC just because that's how the average Thai does it.
No kidding!

So here's a question. Obviously we, as travelers, do not own a car/motorcycle in Thailand, so we must use public transportation.

How heavily does location and access to transport effect your lodging destination? For me it's a very large factor, in fact I would say it is the most important to me. I see some of those luxury hotels have direct (!) connections to the BTS and some luxury properties near the river do not have such easy access to a variety of transport options. Also it's not so much that the hotel is close to the BTS/MRT but also that it's not in an area known for bad traffic delays.

How do you all pick your hotels? Based on promos/rewards? Location? Price? Recommendation? Amenities?
Old Jan 14, 2011, 7:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

How do you all pick your hotels? Based on promos/rewards? Location? Price? Recommendation? Amenities?
1. Location
2. Service/Amenities
3. Price (not such a driver in Bangkok as almost all the hotels are very reasonably priced)
Old Jan 14, 2011, 8:46 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Titanium, CX DM, SQ Gold
I go by where I have status and the best service and the least amount of fuss. SPG always have insane promos so I try to maintain SPG Platinum each year. Hence I choose a hotel for any given destination like this:

1) Starwood Starwood Starwood!
in absence of any prior experience with the city I then choose in this order subject to whats available:

- W
- St Regis
- Le Meridien
- Westin

2) Hyatt

3) MO / 4 Seasons / Shangrila where I have no status but stayed at a few of them at odd times and found them to hit the spot.

I rather pay 200 USD and have a perfect day (perceived value) than pay 100 USD and feel like I have better facilities at my own condo (perceived rip-off).
Old Jan 14, 2011, 8:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by forumpersona999
3) MO / 4 Seasons / Shangrila where I have no status but stayed at a few of them at odd times and found them to hit the spot.
Virtuoso benefits are often better than status at MO/4 Seasons.

Sign up for Golden Circle- it is a pretty good recognition program at Shangrila (used to be better but still is not bad).
Old Jan 14, 2011, 8:52 am

Originally Posted by TRAVELSIG
Virtuoso benefits are often better than status at MO/4 Seasons.

Sign up for Golden Circle- it is a pretty good recognition program at Shangrila (used to be better but still is not bad).
I used to have GC and they would give me internet and a choice of amenities but I do around 80 nights per year so after throwing 50 nights @ SPG for my Plat I don't have any juice left to get anything meaningful anywhere else.
Old Jan 14, 2011, 8:57 am

BKK-wise and being a Starwood fanboi I found SGS and WGS to have the best location and SGS having the better service of the two. But that's just me. I know others have found the opposite. Will be even nicer when SGS finish their refurb (has that even started yet?).

I am also excited to see the St. Regis and a W in the works. St. Regis is something best enjoyed in moderation though. I like it for being over the top but it's too snobbish and dry for me to be a permanent choice. I am too young for St. Regis. W is the thing. How awesome will the W BKK be ? Imagine the parties

Does anyone have real pics (not marketing stuff) for the rooms in the 4 points BKK ?
Old Jan 14, 2011, 9:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

and some luxury properties near the river do not have such easy access to a variety of transport options
Yes they do! They have nice easy private boats that go to the train which terminates right at the river.
Old Jan 14, 2011, 9:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by stimpy
Yes they do! They have nice easy private boats that go to the train which terminates right at the river.
Train goes across the river now- so it doesn't terminate there anymore
Old Jan 14, 2011, 9:10 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeWyndham Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz PC, Hilton DMD, IHG Spire Amb, Bonvoy Titanium Elite & WoH Globalist
Originally Posted by forumpersona999
Does anyone have real pics (not marketing stuff) for the rooms in the 4 points BKK ?
Take your pick!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kalboz/...7625112521413/
Old Jan 14, 2011, 9:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TRAVELSIG
Train goes across the river now- so it doesn't terminate there anymore
Really? I didn't go this time, but I clearly saw the boat at the MO BKK which headed to the train. So it must be there, right?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.