1) Disabling infinite scroll:
  • Go to My FlyerTalk Control Panel
    • Edit options
      • Disable Infinite Scroll

2) Restore previous post editing options:
  • Go to My FlyerTalk Control Panel
    • Settings and Options
      • Miscellaneous Options
        • Message Editor Interface and select “Standard Editor -- extra formatting controls” (you may see odd behavior in this unsupported editor)

NOTE: For ease of both members posting and Technical Support, this thread has been split into two threads for 2018; one exclusively for MOBILE devices, the other for DESKTOP devices. You can find them here:

2018 FT Nov 2017 Upgrade for DESKTOP Devices BUG REPORTS (link), and

2018 FT Nov 2017 Upgrade for MOBILE Devices BUG REPORTS
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: FT 15 Nov 2017 Upgrade Tech Thread - 2017 BUG REPORTS

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17, 2017, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by jc94
No idea if this is new layout related but I don't see a big bug report thread (quite possible I missed it) but I was getting this recently:

ParseError: syntax error, unexpected ';' in ..../includes/functions.php(6467) : eval()'d code on line 7

It's gone now, clearly, given I can post.
I got it yesterday, and then again a few minutes ago.
Old Nov 17, 2017, 12:20 pm

Programs: Cessna TTx Self-Fly
I'm seeing 39 pages in the thread. Selecting page 39 in the bar at the bottom (infinite scroll off) takes me back to page 38. This happened after a post was removed from page 38 (not my post).
Old Nov 17, 2017, 12:38 pm
Administrator

Programs: Internet Brands
Originally Posted by Sopwith
This site is barely functional on my laptop and still totally unusable on my mobile devices. Yet we seem to be tinkering around with font sizes and other trivia. Come on, people, for God's sake WAKE UP!!!
Please post a screenshot of what is interfering with your FT experience. Please include the entire browser window.
Old Nov 17, 2017, 12:39 pm
Administrator

Originally Posted by jc94
No idea if this is new layout related but I don't see a big bug report thread (quite possible I missed it) but I was getting this recently:

ParseError: syntax error, unexpected ';' in ..../includes/functions.php(6467) : eval()'d code on line 7

It's gone now, clearly, given I can post.
That happens when tech makes a small change. Just a short outage.
Old Nov 17, 2017, 12:40 pm
Administrator

Originally Posted by OttawaMark
I'm seeing 39 pages in the thread. Selecting page 39 in the bar at the bottom (infinite scroll off) takes me back to page 38. This happened after a post was removed from page 38 (not my post).
Is this still occurring? My guess is that it was a page indexing issue that can happen when posts are deleted.
Old Nov 17, 2017, 12:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by IBtyen
I'll add that to our list of requests.
Just add everything to the list that was deleted, changed or moved.

Does IB top management consider the changes a success?
Has posts/views over the last few days increased or decreased?
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Nov 17, 2017, 12:46 pm

Programs: Cessna TTx Self-Fly
Originally Posted by IBJoel
Is this still occurring? My guess is that it was a page indexing issue that can happen when posts are deleted.
Seems okay now
Old Nov 17, 2017, 12:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
We are currently working on the font size.
Are you using the Standard Editor or Enhanced? You can check in "Edit Options": https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/prof...do=editoptions
I am using standard and it is small. I use enhanced and it is slightly less small. How about setting either of them to whatever it was before Black Wednesday?
Old Nov 17, 2017, 1:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
Just add everything to the list that was deleted, changed or moved.

Does IB top management consider the changes a success?
Has posts/views over the last few days increased or decreased?
My unscientific survey says it has decreased, and has certainly slowed down as judged by my normal notifications of subscribed threads.
Old Nov 17, 2017, 1:12 pm

Programs: DL GM
Originally Posted by lin821
I personally think it's the most wonderful change, not having to see the space-hogging trending topics first whenever I visit FT. I say that's about the only thing I like about this down/up-grade, kicking it out of Forum Home.

Not sure if that's a bug since we are having conflicting views between bugs and preferences.

However, if it were a bug, please do not fix this particular bug. I don't mind if one of the dropdown menu provides a direct link to it though.
Every single page on the forum contains a link to the main forum page already, that's the purpose of the navigation bar. If you were accessing from the FT main website and then clicking forum, I could understand but even then, the Trending Threads page contains the entire menu you'd find on the main forum page.

The menu actually requires less scrolling on the trending page than it does on the main forum page as the main forum page because the information in the Last Post section and the forum descriptions add multiple lines of text per forum. It is FAR easier to navigate the site from the simplified trending topics page.

Either way, if clicking Forum is going to take you to the main page, the first drop down selection should be Trending Threads or vice versa. As of now, no direct link to the trending threads page exists.

Originally Posted by EsherFlyer
Sitting down at one of my machine to try and review why it works well but my other Windows device doesn't has led to the realisation that it has IE11 Tracking Protection enabled. I'd always thought it gave a smoother experience because it was a more powerful machine. So it seems to be ads rather than core content.

I think I said it upthread but there has been no comment by @IBobi or others who might know... One of the design goals of the new skins appears to be to add more ads to the page. I suspect that where (say) 3 used to make for "lumpy" browsing there are now 5 and that pushes things over the edge. This may be due to the way different browsers allow scripts to run, browser specific code that hogs resources, etc. hence the difference with Chrome.

I'm also wondering if there is some new real estate fight going on along the lines of:
  • Page loaded
  • Page chunk A thinks "better redraw myself"
  • Page chunk B thinks "better redraw myself"
  • Page chunk A thinks "Hmm, chunk B might be in a better place then me now - I'd better redraw just in case"
  • Page chunk B thinks "Hmm, chunk A might be in a better place then me now - I'd better redraw just in case"
  • Page chunk C thinks "I'd better..."
  • Page chunk B thinks "I'd better..."
  • etc
THIS.

This describes the lag and hangups that I've been seeing far better than I've been able to as I've encountered it on Firefox. The page loads, but then elements on the page seem to reload themselves almost in layers. On this Reply to Thread page for example, the page loads, but then the text box loads, then the icons load, then the attachments box loads, etc. It still shows the X in the navigation bar at the top, meaning something is running on this page and it is not able to be stopped by clicking the X, forcing a manual reload.

The page is still fully functional, but there is something happening on these pages that is never actually finishing, which in turn uses up resources. Again, without any Ad or Script blocks on, I see zero ads on this page which is why I think this is ad related and in turn is making the entire thing clunky.

Would really love it if they just rolled back to a stable version and worked out the kinks here. I'd still love to see a Forum where this design has actually been implemented to see how it looks and how stable it might be over there.
Old Nov 17, 2017, 1:14 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
I have a 24" screen and find it just about usable at 110%.
Old Nov 17, 2017, 1:22 pm

Seriously though -- why is so much horizontal space empty? These three right hand columns (as well as the first two on the left) absolutely do not need to be so wide. This makes no sense.
Attached Images  
Old Nov 17, 2017, 1:32 pm
Defunct Account

This one is being addressed by our product team.

Originally Posted by ursine1
Seriously though -- why is so much horizontal space empty? These three right hand columns (as well as the first two on the left) absolutely do not need to be so wide. This makes no sense.
ursine1 likes this.
Old Nov 17, 2017, 2:05 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
This has been reported by at least one other person, so I'm trying to get some progress on it. What browser are you using? We are unable to reproduce on Chrome/FF
I experience this on Chrome.
Old Nov 17, 2017, 2:06 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Kiwi, which browser are you on? It's showing up as the whole width of the page for me. Also, sorry for quoting you a bunch. I'm responding as I go down the list.
Chrome.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.