1) Disabling infinite scroll:
  • Go to My FlyerTalk Control Panel
    • Edit options
      • Disable Infinite Scroll

2) Restore previous post editing options:
  • Go to My FlyerTalk Control Panel
    • Settings and Options
      • Miscellaneous Options
        • Message Editor Interface and select “Standard Editor -- extra formatting controls” (you may see odd behavior in this unsupported editor)

NOTE: For ease of both members posting and Technical Support, this thread has been split into two threads for 2018; one exclusively for MOBILE devices, the other for DESKTOP devices. You can find them here:

2018 FT Nov 2017 Upgrade for DESKTOP Devices BUG REPORTS (link), and

2018 FT Nov 2017 Upgrade for MOBILE Devices BUG REPORTS
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: FT 15 Nov 2017 Upgrade Tech Thread - 2017 BUG REPORTS

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18, 2017, 6:04 pm

Programs: UA 1MM 0P, AA, DL, *wood, Lifetime FPC Plat., IHG, HHD
Originally Posted by javabytes
Massive memory and CPU consumption now using Google Chrome. Scrolling to the point that I've got about ~30 posts loaded results in memory consumption in the 700MB-1GB range. Do the same thing in a second window, and that's another 700MB-1GB.
yeah, this is the worst part about this update for this forum software. It doesn't get better.. maxing CPU and RAM is par for the course.
It's good to see people comment on the issues, but with other forums they never really make any changes or fixes. I don't see any reasons to expect different here.
Old Nov 18, 2017, 6:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Canarsie
Even if TalkBoard existed today, the latest upgrade of FlyerTalk would not be under the purview of its members.
Which is unfortunate because ultimately its the users who can make or break this site. If they took more interest in that, there might not be a need for "Did you know?" and "Can you help us?" messages.
Old Nov 18, 2017, 6:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by nmenaker
yeah, this is the worst part about this update for this forum software. It doesn't get better.. maxing CPU and RAM is par for the course.
It's good to see people comment on the issues, but with other forums they never really make any changes or fixes. I don't see any reasons to expect different here.
I shut off infinite scroll in the options and at least it's usable now. My laptop doesn't sound like it's ready to take off anymore.
Old Nov 18, 2017, 7:23 pm

Programs: DL GM
Originally Posted by javabytes
Massive memory and CPU consumption now using Google Chrome. Scrolling to the point that I've got about ~30 posts loaded results in memory consumption in the 700MB-1GB range. Do the same thing in a second window, and that's another 700MB-1GB.
Yep and as someone who typically opens all the threads I'm interested in reading in new tabs so I can read them 1 by 1, there is a HUGE resource drain.

Any "upgrade" that causes a user to fundamentally change the way they access and use a website is not well thought out and certainly not done with users in mind.
Old Nov 18, 2017, 7:30 pm

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt LT DM, Wyndham DM, Hertz PC, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
I don't even have a 'reply' button at the bottom after scrolling for 10min in some long threads to figure out where the heck I was in the thread... Had to scroll back up to the top.

Some way, sorry if already mentioned, to turn off this 'infinite scroll' and go back to 10-15 posts per page?

Never understand why major forums do major revisions like this. It's a message board. It's old tech already. Trying to modernize them usually just breaks the functionality.
Old Nov 18, 2017, 7:42 pm

Programs: DL GM
Originally Posted by dinanm3atl
I don't even have a 'reply' button at the bottom after scrolling for 10min in some long threads to figure out where the heck I was in the thread... Had to scroll back up to the top.

Some way, sorry if already mentioned, to turn off this 'infinite scroll' and go back to 10-15 posts per page?

Never understand why major forums do major revisions like this. It's a message board. It's old tech already. Trying to modernize them usually just breaks the functionality.
Click on My FlyerTalk at the top, click Edit Options, scroll down to infinite scroll and disable (it is the 3rd section down, bottom option). Should help.

Infinite scroll is one of the dumbest "innovations" I've ever seen on a forum.
Old Nov 18, 2017, 8:23 pm

Originally Posted by IBobi
Instead of going back, we will fix the bugs.

If switching to FT Desktop NG is not sticking for you, please tell us what browser, device and version you are using, and we can see how to fix it.
Mac mini, high sierra, running google chrome.

Old Nov 18, 2017, 8:35 pm

Edit options has preference set to Desktop NG, Never go to mobile skin, and yet every page shows "Mobile One" on the bottom.

The difference now is, I'm not sure there's any difference on the desktop version of it. Previously, there was a huge difference, so I suppose it could be a different bug now? I think it is showing the desktop version here on my mac mini. (See below for more on this.)

I'm not going to bother to post the screenshots unless you need the proof.

ETA, on my iPhone, in safari, it's no longer reverting to the mobile skin and it does say Desktop NG in the selector at the bottom of the page. That's good. We'll have to see what happens when somebody sends me a link to a thread, because IIRC, that's where we had problems with the previous version, and I don't think they were ever fixed.

Another edit: Just copied the link to this thread from safari to chrome on my iPhone (iOS 11.x), and even though I was logged in it reverted to the mobile skin again. I had to select "View full site" at the bottom of the page, and then the selector box at the bottom was correct, it had selected "Desktop NG". My default browser is set to Chrome on the phone.

So I think on my desktop, it's just incorrectly displaying "Mobile One" in the box, but it's actually using the desktop skin. But it's still weird that a copied link opens in mobile mode on iOS chrome for me, even when logged in.

-David

Last edited by LIH Prem; Nov 18, 2017 at 8:47 pm
Old Nov 18, 2017, 8:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Don't know if it's related to the update and didn't read all these posts to see if it's been mentioned, but in the Mobile One format, the New Posts button is missing from the drop down side bar menu, whether on the portal page or on the Forum main page. To get to New Posts, I either go to the full site (when using this method, the New Posts section comes up in Mobile One format, thankfully) or choose a short thread and use the New Posts button at the bottom of the page.
Nice to get that drop down menu button back. I believe it went missing around the 15th.
Thanks.
Old Nov 18, 2017, 8:50 pm

Programs: DL 4MM; DM
So the 'red names' haven't responded in over 24 hours. What's up?
Old Nov 18, 2017, 8:54 pm

Just dropping by to say that the new page scrolling mechanism completely sucks and offers absolutely nothing in the way of user friendly browsing; in fact, it needlessly complicates browsing. I don't know who decided this was necessary or an improvement.
Old Nov 19, 2017, 12:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by OliverB
Just dropping by to say that the new page scrolling mechanism completely sucks and offers absolutely nothing in the way of user friendly browsing; in fact, it needlessly complicates browsing. I don't know who decided this was necessary or an improvement.
Go to "quick links - edit options" and disable infinite scrolling. It has been set as default
Enable Infinite Scroll
Disable Infinite Scroll
Automatically load the next page in a thread by continuing to scroll down when viewing the desktop style
[Editing posts is also *** up ]
OliverB likes this.
Old Nov 19, 2017, 12:21 am

Originally Posted by C W
Maybe it's time for another poll.
They'll just delete it like they have done with the others, probably like this post will be, soon. They've got the same attitude as the Fark.com admins during one of their infamous format changes. "We'll get over it."

Being hostile to your membership is not conducive to people willing to contribute content. Unfortunately, like Fark, the membership here is big enough that inertia will carry them past this hiccup.

And I say this as someone who runs a long-standing message board, myself.
Old Nov 19, 2017, 1:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
The problem is that the people that implemented this are not users of the forum. They may look at it occasionally but that's their only investment.
Old Nov 19, 2017, 2:44 am

Programs: BAEC Silver; Hilton Diamond;a miscellany of other hotel non-statuses
Originally Posted by BamaGirl
So the 'red names' haven't responded in over 24 hours. What's up?
It's the weekend . From the Disruptive Ads Wikipost:

Internet Brands operates during customary and usual work hours on the U. S. West Coast; holidays, weekends, etc. are observed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.