Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > TalkBoard Topics
Reload this Page >

New post-count titles for FlyerTalk? Nominate your favorites!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New post-count titles for FlyerTalk? Nominate your favorites!

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2014, 2:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
I realize it's different for others, especially on a BB where points/miles/elite levels are important.
Having only passed the 40 mark days ago it's still a novelty but don't see too much wrong with mile markers of one sort or another whether it's post count or enrollment date. While FT doesn't other sites I visit note the anniversary of your enrollment which to me is little different than post count as it marks time instead of posts rather than content contributions.

On a dif note - I'm really surprised by how low the #s are for both Evangelist & Legend titles. Given how much angst there's been over people alledgedly post-padding, going for titles, etc, one would think there'd be a lot more E&Ls.
Indeed and I had a similar reaction to the numbers. The angst from a relative few hasn't convinced me that wholesale title changes are really necessary. Perhaps we could add the title definitions to FAQ or Glossary so members, especially newer ones, who aren't sure can check but IMHO this isn't a problem that requires a solution.
Old Mar 7, 2014, 3:29 pm

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by tcook052
Having only passed the 40 mark days ago it's still a novelty but don't see too much wrong with mile markers of one sort or another whether it's post count or enrollment date. While FT doesn't other sites I visit note the anniversary of your enrollment which to me is little different than post count as it marks time instead of posts rather than content contributions.

Indeed and I had a similar reaction to the numbers. The angst from a relative few hasn't convinced me that wholesale title changes are really necessary. Perhaps we could add the title definitions to FAQ or Glossary so members, especially newer ones, who aren't sure can check but IMHO this isn't a problem that requires a solution.
FT does list join date.
Old Mar 7, 2014, 4:44 pm

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by kipper
FT does list join date.
Yes, but you aren't given status based upon your length as a member as on other sites.
Old Mar 7, 2014, 10:34 pm

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
From our tech guy, IBxAnders:

More than 10k posts = 300 users.
More than 40k posts = 13 users
Thank you SanDiego1K and (IBxAnders) for posting/compiling this information.
Good stuff.^
Old Mar 10, 2014, 7:06 pm

Programs: MUCCI, BA Blue
Interesting discussion to stumble across.

Personally I like member titles as a forum feature, my personally favourite being 'forumname ornament'. I appreciate that not everyone feels the same love. So far as the current titles are concerned, I think FT posting legend is descriptive and sensible. I don't like Evangelist as a title and would like to see it replaced. I would like to see some new levels added (say at 179, 5k and 20/25k) but would not welcome names like gold/silver/bronze as this would cause too much confusion.

I also think it would be nice to make use of the ability to give members custom titles to recognise their outstanding contributions. Perhaps the programme forums could hold secret ballots to determine their most helpful member(s)?
Old Mar 11, 2014, 10:00 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Hhonors Gold, National Executive, Identity Gold, MLife Gold
Originally Posted by exilencfc
but would not welcome names like gold/silver/bronze as this would cause too much confusion.
Interesting that you like some of the current names, yet think that these would cause confusion. Can you clarify the concern on this one? It's the equivalent to hotel/FF status. You don't have to contribute in any useful way, you just have to use the service. I would think this sort of leveling would be the easiest for the community to immediately grasp.

Perhaps the programme forums could hold secret ballots to determine their most helpful member(s)?
Nope. Encourages the cliques. I like the concept of rewarding people that make valid contributions, but the nightmare & drama associated with the voting/nomination isn't needed here.
Old Mar 11, 2014, 11:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by OverThereTooMuch
Nope. Encourages the cliques. I like the concept of rewarding people that make valid contributions, but the nightmare & drama associated with the voting/nomination isn't needed here.
Agreed. I wouldn't want this for the same reason I wouldn't want a reputation system... popular people don't always make valid contributions, and valid contributions aren't always popular. The voting would only add drama to a site that, I dare say, has plenty.
Old Mar 12, 2014, 5:42 am

Programs: MUCCI, BA Blue
Originally Posted by OverThereTooMuch
Interesting that you like some of the current names, yet think that these would cause confusion. Can you clarify the concern on this one? It's the equivalent to hotel/FF status. You don't have to contribute in any useful way, you just have to use the service. I would think this sort of leveling would be the easiest for the community to immediately grasp.
I think FT Posting Legend is a sensible and descriptive title - it just implies that somebody has posted a lot without implying anything about the quality of the posts.

I don't like FT Evangelist as a title. I'm uncomfy with the religious connotations anyway but it also implies a preaching of the true faith which isn't appropriate if people are posting absolute crap.

My concern with gold/silver/bronze or similar is that a lot of people who come onto FT don't know anything about status and aren't mileage addicts - that tends to be an effect of FT membership rather than the cause. For somebody who is trying to get to grips with FT and with various airline programmes yet another set of gold/silver/bronze etc levels is going to be a confusion.

Conversely those members who do understand and revere status might judge a poster by their FT status rather than the content of their posts - a more serious version of the current issue with posts by prolific members not necessarily being more reliable than those by newbies.

Might it be worth considering a sort of parody version, as others have already touched on - say FT soil, FT coal, FT kryptonite? Or is that too obtuse. To me what's needed are titles that recognise dedication to posting without implying expertise or board leadership.
Old Mar 12, 2014, 11:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
I don't know if this applies universally, but the title for this user was grandfathered.
Sorry if I missed something, but how does szg have a join date in 2006? Wasn't FT started in 98 and all those who joined then have a title of original member?
Old Mar 12, 2014, 9:03 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
We could use planets as names. We all learned the planets in order in school, which would avoid the isn't ruby worth more than sapphire conundrum.
Old Mar 12, 2014, 9:14 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
We could use planets as names. We all learned the planets in order in school, which would avoid the isn't ruby worth more than sapphire conundrum.
Then instead of Suspended we can use Oort Cloud, indicating that the member is invisible and return is a long time away. @:-)
Old Mar 12, 2014, 9:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by nsx
Then instead of Suspended we can use Oort Cloud, indicating that the member is invisible and return is a long time away. @:-)
Oort Clouds? What do you think you are, a rocket scientist?
Old Mar 13, 2014, 2:43 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Now we'll need a whole new discussion as to whether we should or should not use Pluto.
Old Mar 13, 2014, 7:12 am

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by UA Fan
Sorry if I missed something, but how does szg have a join date in 2006? Wasn't FT started in 98 and all those who joined then have a title of original member?
Going from memory here/what I've read somewhere, but those with "Original Member" titles were given to those that joined in the beginning ('98) & not in latter years.

Cheers.
Old Mar 13, 2014, 9:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Going from memory here/what I've read somewhere, but those with "Original Member" titles were given to those that joined in the beginning ('98) & not in latter years.

Cheers.
I am so embarrassed I asked that question. When I saw 2006 for some reason my mind read it as 1996.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.