Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > TalkBoard Topics
Reload this Page >

New post-count titles for FlyerTalk? Nominate your favorites!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New post-count titles for FlyerTalk? Nominate your favorites!

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2014, 10:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by Mary2e
There are a half a million registered users. That includes people from day 1 who don't come here any longer as well as spammers who register and are immediately suspended.

My guess is that there are about 10-20k people who come here regularly - if that many.
I'm guessing it's not even close to that number -- of course I'm only counting those who actually post.
Old Feb 26, 2014, 10:07 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
There is some consensus. Almost everyone agrees the title Evangelist is "silly, dumb, sounds like something out of the 90s, no longer applies especially related to its true meaning" & should be replaced. In reading through the entire thread, there are more yes votes/input for new post-count titles than there is for keeping titles as is or dropping them entirely (the latter two being tied).
Consensus that one thing isn't working perhaps but no real consensus on what would work instead and until there is a fully formed plan I wouldn't like to see motions made simply to generate movement.
Old Feb 26, 2014, 4:54 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
As is usual on FT, posts that are dilatory to the topic / off topic will be summarily deleted.

/Moderator
Old Feb 26, 2014, 8:38 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
I'm fine keeping things as they are in this area.

The current system of titling doesn't seem broken to me, so I'm not sure what needs to be fixed.
Old Feb 26, 2014, 8:43 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by GUWonder
I'm fine keeping things as they are in this area.

The current system of titling doesn't seem broken to me, so I'm not sure what needs to be fixed.
Good to know there's at least three of us thinking that way.

Oh and for what it's worth, here's another thread which I found via searching with Evangelist info. I just searched "Flyertalk Evangelist". I haven't even gone past the second page yet:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/2852238-post60.html
Old Feb 27, 2014, 1:49 pm

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by Mary2e
Might I suggest an entirely new thread with a title clearly stating to state a preference for the 3 options suggested?

This one is kinda long, on the older side, and really doesn't let people know what we're discussing.
Agree. I'll start one in the next day or so.

Cheers.
Old Feb 27, 2014, 2:07 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Agree. I'll start one in the next day or so.

Cheers.
Before posting a poll, let's think about what the alternatives should be.

My suggestion would be something like the following:

No visible titles

No change

Rename Evangelist and Legend (ONLY, no other changes)

Add titles, perhaps at 5,000 and 20,000 or 25,000 posts?

Any others?
Old Feb 27, 2014, 2:07 pm

Originally Posted by tcook052
Consensus that one thing isn't working perhaps but no real consensus on what would work instead and until there is a fully formed plan I wouldn't like to see motions made simply to generate movement.
No one has made a motion or indicated yet there would be a motion.

The thread was bumped because a long-time FTer (and then newbies) who wasn't aware until recently that FTE & FTL titles were based on post count only vs. actually contributing accurate & helpful info.

If others have that thought - and CMK10's limited search results, one of which is in a forum someone wouldn't go to unless they were part of that airline's program & were specific to an individual who hit 10K posts - shows that the information isn't that readily available,then this is something that needs to be addressed. One way is through a motion tied into titles overall w/ new levels added, another is to add posts such as were done to the Info Desk forum/thread, a combo thereof, etc.

The thread was originally created a couple of years because there was a thought that interim titles would be beneficial/perk to those who do post & provide helpful info, but aren't interested in going on a posting spree to get to 10K.

As noted I personally don't think titles are necessary at all, but as a TB member who needs to look at the bigger picture, I realize other FTers find them more important/convey perceived status/have been earned/are a perk, so part of the job is how do we figure out a way to facilitate that. And part of that may be starting a new thread doing a summary of the issue, delineate new levels/titles & asking for input by FTers as to the break points & the titles.

I do believe that if we're going to keep titles that only having 2 & having such a large gap doesn't make sense. FWIW - even if we kept only the 2 I bet we'd get a consensus on changing the Evangelist one to something else

Cheers.
Old Feb 27, 2014, 3:10 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I would suggest also adding some statement about what titles mean to the TOS (maybe a link, since this might not be considered to be really part of our TOS) or FT rules. This is where I would instinctively look first for this type of stuff.
Old Feb 27, 2014, 6:08 pm

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
If others have that thought - and CMK10's limited search results, one of which is in a forum someone wouldn't go to unless they were part of that airline's program & were specific to an individual who hit 10K posts - shows that the information isn't that readily available,then this is something that needs to be addressed. One way is through a motion tied into titles overall w/ new levels added, another is to add posts such as were done to the Info Desk forum/thread, a combo thereof, etc.

Cheers.
My search results are limited because after I found two examples (one by searching Flyertalk Evangelist in titles only, one by searching Flyertalk Evangelist and then not going past the second page of my search) i stopped looking. You were the one who said to post it when I found it. The information is clearly readily available if a search using simple parameters turns up the information as easily as it did when I looked for it. I know such an answer doesn't support your point but changing the facts doesn't make it any less true that the information is there and can easily be found.

Just for the fun of it, here's result number 3:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/commu...d-threads.html

Not enough for you? Here's number 4:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/16888968-post26.html

Though I admit I did have to go to page FOUR of my searches for that one.

It's fine that you don't like the titles, but I really don't think the evidence supports your theory that the information isn't there to those who are curious.
Old Feb 27, 2014, 9:41 pm

No one has made a motion or indicated yet there would be a motion.

The thread was bumped because a long-time FTer (and then newbies) who wasn't aware until recently that FTE & FTL titles were based on post count only vs. actually contributing accurate & helpful info.

The thread was originally created a couple of years because there was a thought that interim titles would be beneficial/perk to those who do post & provide helpful info, but aren't interested in going on a posting spree to get to 10K.

As noted I personally don't think titles are necessary at all, but as a TB member who needs to look at the bigger picture, I realize other FTers find them more important/convey perceived status/have been earned/are a perk, so part of the job is how do we figure out a way to facilitate that. And part of that may be starting a new thread doing a summary of the issue, delineate new levels/titles & asking for input by FTers as to the break points & the titles.

I do believe that if we're going to keep titles that only having 2 & having such a large gap doesn't make sense. FWIW - even if we kept only the 2 I bet we'd get a consensus on changing the Evangelist one to something else

Cheers.
Thanks as I had been following along and knew where it was coming from but was just stating MHO when others were hoping aloud to see a TB motion on the matter.

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I would suggest also adding some statement about what titles mean to the TOS (maybe a link, since this might not be considered to be really part of our TOS) or FT rules. This is where I would instinctively look first for this type of stuff.
Agree though maybe the FAQ section would work better.
Old Feb 28, 2014, 12:13 am

Programs: AA, Delta, UA & thanks to FTers for my PC Gold!
Why Not Glossary?

Originally Posted by tcook052
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Agree though maybe the FAQ section would work better.
Since FT titles are something specifically for FTers on FT, wouldn't it make more sense to see them listed in FT Glossary?

Maybe it's just me, but when I see a term/jargon that I don't get, I usually try to look it up in either the dictionary or glossary in the Help Section.
Old Feb 28, 2014, 12:52 am

Originally Posted by lin821
Since FT titles are something specifically for FTers on FT, wouldn't it make more sense to see them listed in FT Glossary?

Maybe it's just me, but when I see a term/jargon that I don't get, I usually try to look it up in either the dictionary or glossary in the Help Section.
Not me as I tend to go for FAQ before a glossary but YMMV.

My thought was titles could be briefly explained there much like moderators are at present. Just a thought.
Old Feb 28, 2014, 7:58 am

Whether we add additional titles at different post counts or keep them at the current 2, I think most of us are in agreement they should be explained somewhere that would be easily found, which isn't the case right now if CMK10 had to go to page 4 in a search to find some examples.

Cheers.
Old Feb 28, 2014, 1:28 pm

Whether we add additional titles at different post counts or keep them at the current 2, I think most of us are in agreement they should be explained somewhere that would be easily found, which isn't the case right now if CMK10 had to go to page 4 in a search to find some examples.

Cheers.
You really aren't listening to what I say are you? I found the first one on my first search but you said British Airways was not a thread anyone I'd look in. Then I found example two on page 2. Then you said my searches were "limited" so then I found examples 3 and 4.

I don't think most of anyone is in agreement with anyone. There are six or seven people saying the same thing over and over again in this thread. A couple say don't change anything. A couple say change everything. The rest haven't come back. You throw around words like "most" and "nearly everyone" but there's no evidence of that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.