Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > TalkBoard Topics
Reload this Page >

New post-count titles for FlyerTalk? Nominate your favorites!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New post-count titles for FlyerTalk? Nominate your favorites!

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28, 2014, 3:52 pm

What are the numbers of FT members with the posting titles (Evangelist and Legend)? Is this information available?
Old Feb 28, 2014, 5:28 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
While we encourage even a vigorous exchange of ideas, please remember FlyerTalk requires mutual respect. In part:

Personal Attacks - link to this guideline
We encourage a healthy exchange of opinions. If you disagree with another member, challenge the opinion or idea - not the person. Personal attacks, insults and "flaming" will not be tolerated and will be removed, and the violator will be subject to disciplinary action. You may challenge others' points of view and opinions, but do so respectfully and thoughtfully...

This is not a Forum where we want to be deleting posts and members' contributions toward improvements and TalkBoard input. Thank you for your participation and for keeping FT friendly and mutually respectful.

/Moderator
Old Feb 28, 2014, 7:02 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL: 3.8 MM, Marriott: Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by CokeandTaco
What are the numbers of FT members with the posting titles (Evangelist and Legend)? Is this information available?
I'm 99% sure that the answer to this is no.

Not that anybody is trying to hide anything but I don't think the software catches these stats.
Old Mar 1, 2014, 6:34 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by CMK10
You really aren't listening to what I say are you? I found the first one on my first search but you said British Airways was not a thread anyone I'd look in. Then I found example two on page 2. Then you said my searches were "limited" so then I found examples 3 and 4.

I don't think most of anyone is in agreement with anyone. There are six or seven people saying the same thing over and over again in this thread. A couple say don't change anything. A couple say change everything. The rest haven't come back. You throw around words like "most" and "nearly everyone" but there's no evidence of that.
I think you're confusing 2 separate issues.

One is whether there should be additional titles at different post points. That is certainly open for debate - and has been if you read the entire thread by multiple people & will be in a new thread that will be created.

The second is how to make it easier for newbies & even some long-term FTers to know that titles represent post count only and doesn't denote some higher level of wisdom or necessarily accurate information.

The fact that there are only 3-4 examples where it's mentioned in over a decade (one of which was created in response to this thread) says that FT hasn't done a good job of that. I'm a bit perplexed that you would think having it scattered is the best way to handle it & do a search is the best response. So yes I do think that most would say let's figure out a way to make it more visible/clear to minimize any confusion and/or misconception by FTers.

Cheers.
Old Mar 1, 2014, 12:10 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
I think you're confusing 2 separate issues.

One is whether there should be additional titles at different post points. That is certainly open for debate - and has been if you read the entire thread by multiple people & will be in a new thread that will be created.

The second is how to make it easier for newbies & even some long-term FTers to know that titles represent post count only and doesn't denote some higher level of wisdom or necessarily accurate information...

Cheers.
Succinct and clearly elucidates my two concerns as a long-term member.
Old Mar 1, 2014, 8:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by JDiver
Succinct and clearly elucidates my two concerns as a long-term member.
Add dilatory.

Hey, would you please stop using such BIG words! I'm tired of looking them up.
Old Mar 2, 2014, 12:54 pm

Originally Posted by Mary2e
When things are up for discussion, there usually is a link on every forum page for comments - at least it's been that way for the last year or so. People who wish to comment should be able to do so.

Right now, from the best I can tell, it's not even a motion. I wish it were so there is a better chance of comment by those members who don't come here.
I'm in agreement.

I don't come to this part of FT that often anymore, but I have very strong feelings on the subject. I think that there is general consensus that quantity doesn't always equate to quality, even if there isn't agreement on titles/no titles/types of titles. (I even pointed out the other day that while I generally trust a certain 'posting legend' who appears to be a subject matter expert, I still do my own research using official sources just to be certain)

However, not everyone may realise that equation of quantity vs quality, and may not know to do the research, or who to trust or not to trust when it comes to objective topics.

There are many active FTers who probably don't realise that this discussion has resurfaced, but who may have opinions on the subject.

(I am by the way in favour of only having titles for official company representatives, community director/moderators, and perhaps ambassadors)
Old Mar 2, 2014, 1:03 pm

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
If you guys go this totally ridiculous route then have an option for a member to opt out if they so choose.

If its some title that just sounds bad, funny, or completely idiotic.. then that poster should be able to opt out of any and all titles.

All you guys are doing are encouraging posting runs more so than is already being done

it must have been a slow day at the office when this topic was thought up and it must be another slow period if this is at the top of this forum. Hence why I made my omni comment about TB.
Old Mar 2, 2014, 2:24 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by philemer
Hey, would you please stop using such BIG words! I'm tired of looking them up.
Yeah. Transmogrify them, already!
Old Mar 2, 2014, 6:18 pm

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
If you guys go this totally ridiculous route then have an option for a member to opt out if they so choose.

If its some title that just sounds bad, funny, or completely idiotic.. then that poster should be able to opt out of any and all titles.

All you guys are doing are encouraging posting runs more so than is already being done

it must have been a slow day at the office when this topic was thought up and it must be another slow period if this is at the top of this forum. Hence why I made my omni comment about TB.
Hey, there are some people here who are advocating for keeping things at the status quo. But apparently it's too hard for people to figure out what the titles mean so here we are.
Old Mar 2, 2014, 8:00 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Cholula

Not that anybody is trying to hide anything but I don't think the software catches these stats.
It might be interesting to have a list of Legends and Evangelists just like one can find the list of all moderators.
Old Mar 3, 2014, 10:34 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA, Hilton Gold
While I have a feeling it's beyond what is easily possible for the site, it would be interesting to have the titles reflect where the user is most active. Something like 5,000 posts and the majority are in CC forums have a "Miles and Points Junkie" title. If they are in the Hotels category have "Mattress Connoisseur" if they are in Airlines maybe "Upgrade Champion." Just a thought, but I can already see the arguments against this.
Old Mar 6, 2014, 7:46 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting

I'm pretty sure that IB still has the possibility to query a database and find out how many (and which) FTers have 10k or more posts under their ID and how many have 40k posts or more under their ID. It would be somewhat manual to arrive at the final answer and it might not be entirely accurate for one or more reasons -- including because some titles could be manually suppressed or otherwise assigned.
Old Mar 6, 2014, 10:48 am

Programs: DL: 3.8 MM, Marriott: Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by GUWonder
I'm pretty sure that IB still has the possibility to query a database and find out how many (and which) FTers have 10k or more posts under their ID and how many have 40k posts or more under their ID.
That makes sense and is certainly within the realm of possibility.
Old Mar 6, 2014, 11:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium
That makes sense and is certainly within the realm of possibility.
It's certainly possible. I help administer another vBulletin board and our board is set up so any member could do this math by bringing up the community list (Community --> Members List) and then ranking the members by number of posts and then counting up the number of people exceeding any threshold.

(BTW, on that board the most prolific poster is just over 24K posts and I'm 8th with just over 12K).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.