Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > TalkBoard Topics
Reload this Page >

New post-count titles for FlyerTalk? Nominate your favorites!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New post-count titles for FlyerTalk? Nominate your favorites!

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4, 2014, 6:02 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by CMK10
However, nothing has yet come up amongst us, or from the TalkBoard Topics that an informal straw count showed there would be a majority aye vote on (though we are going to vote on a USA forum shortly).
Originally Posted by ozstamps
Talkboard must have changed a lot in recent times then it seems.

It used to be that specific suggestions from members were acted upon, and voted upon, and in MANY cases not ratified.

In MANY cases. But there were votes.
I strongly believe that this is a positive change. When TalkBoard members become accustomed to working together and compromising BEFORE voting, FT gets higher quality motions AND the TalkBoard becomes a more effective cooperative team for future work. Calling for votes on unpopular or unvetted proposals damages this cooperative spirit and accomplishes nothing except impressing FT members who enjoy watching conflict.

Just ask kokonutz, who once felt as you do. He has been incomparably more effective on TalkBoard under the "measure twice, cut once" approach employed in recent years. Not to deny that we didn't meet this standard every time. TalkBoard members make mistakes like everyone else.

Included in measuring twice is a full airing of the pro's and con's in this forum. FT members need to share the workload by posting their concerns early, well before a proposal has been written and a vote started.

If our moderator wants to move this procedural discussion to a new thread, that's fine with me. OTOH it's not as if hundreds of members are reading this stuff!
Old Jun 4, 2014, 10:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
Throwback Thursday?

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Sigh - thanks for all the hyperbole ozstamps We always appreciate it when a Fter bas been basically MIA for a very, very long time in the forum and then stops by to tell us what we're doing wrong

Let me state this plainly for you. TB has no problem with discussing items brought up by FTers and even bringing up items on our own. Since I've been on TB we've passed 44 motions, some of which were initiated by FTers and some of which were initiated by TB.

Sorry we're not meeting your pre-conceived notion of having to pass a gaziillon this year. But here's the thing. We're also secure enough that we don't think we have to do motions for the sake of doing motions just because a fter has suddenly decided to come back and pontificate and tell us about the good old days, as though ft is stuck in the past.

're: the actual thread topic. THanks again for telling us we should do a motion and ignoring the fact that FTers themselves are split on the topic equally. They were two years ago and they still are since the thread got bumped. Given that fact it's not totally surprising a motion hasn't been done to date.

And since the thread is unwieldy, yes it does make sense to create a new one. And sorry to disappoint you one more time but when it is created it will include 2 options -whether additional titles should even be created (yes/no) and if yes, then the post count points and actual titles. Based on the responses we'll then decide whether it makes sense we to do a motion.

Btw - since you 're on a roll and think we did be considering multiple things to make FT a better place we encourage you, as we do with other FTers, to start a new thread 're those items.

PS - enough with the eBay references. It's a total apple/oranges comparison. EBay has their system set in place because $$ are involved, something that doesn't' t occur on FT.
As a 14 year member here, and past member of the original Talk Board, and an Evangelist, I say silly names aren't important. It's all about the content. If many members aren't posting, they won't care about titles. @:-)
To the core group that cares about titles, it still doesn't matter. Look at the game threads and Hi Hello, How are you threads withing each of the many forums. That's where people 'game' the system to get these silly titles.

It always bothered me that new members think that just because someone like me or ozstamps in an Evangelist, we must be all knowing.

No offense to any of the posters reading this forum, but the trolling of this thread is whats kept me from reading this forum for the past 6 months.

dh
Old Jun 5, 2014, 4:34 am

Programs: MUCCI, BA Blue
Wwll I've never been on talkboard so I should be reasonably neutral... I can't see any point in trying to write a motion, let alone vote on it, when this thread has shown there's no consensus on the issue. It isn't like it's a simple case of doing A or B either, there are multiple options on the table.
Old Jun 5, 2014, 4:12 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
I've been tied up at a conference for the past week so have missed a bit here.

At this point I do think we should come up with a proposal and put it up for a vote.

Time to .... or get off the pot once and for all on this matter.

And fwiw, I do like the concept of more and funny titles.
Old Jun 5, 2014, 4:38 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by dhammer53
As a 14 year member here, and past member of the original Talk Board, and an Evangelist, I say silly names aren't important. It's all about the content. If many members aren't posting, they won't care about titles. @:-)
To the core group that cares about titles, it still doesn't matter. Look at the game threads and Hi Hello, How are you threads withing each of the many forums. That's where people 'game' the system to get these silly titles.

It always bothered me that new members think that just because someone like me or ozstamps in an Evangelist, we must be all knowing.

No offense to any of the posters reading this forum, but the trolling of this thread is whats kept me from reading this forum for the past 6 months.

dh
You are spot on with your post ^ with the exception that you are all knowing about a certain borough .
Old Jun 5, 2014, 5:36 pm

Originally Posted by dhammer53

dh
Of course it's all about content.

To me, the problem is that right now the title 'evangelist' makes a weird implication. I may be a lot of things, but I am NOT an evangelist. It's an utterly stupid title.

If we trade that in for a few clever/amusing titles then

1) people will not take them seriously or infer anything from them other than that they are for fun.

2) they would be fun.

I like fun!
Old Jun 5, 2014, 6:10 pm

These titles would be fun:

1 to 50 posts: FlyerTalk Newbie
50 to 1,000 posts: FlyerTalk Striver
1,000 to 5,000 posts: FlyerTalk Postulant
5,000 to 20,000 posts: FlyerTalk Fanatic
20,000 to 50,000 posts: FlyerTalk Postzilla
50,000 to infinity posts: FlyerTalk Addict

Anyone got funner ones?
Old Jun 5, 2014, 6:28 pm
nsx
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by kokonutz
At this point I do think we should come up with a proposal and put it up for a vote.

And fwiw, I do like the concept of more and funny titles.
I support you on all counts.

To me, the problem is that right now the title 'evangelist' makes a weird implication. I may be a lot of things, but I am NOT an evangelist.
You really teed that up, but I must resist...

If we trade that in for a few clever/amusing titles then

1) people will not take them seriously or infer anything from them other than that they are for fun.

2) they would be fun.

I like fun!
I totally agree.

These titles would be fun:

1 to 50 posts: FlyerTalk Newbie
50 to 1,000 posts: FlyerTalk Striver
5,000 to 20,000 posts: FlyerTalk Fanatic
20,000 to 50,000 posts: FlyerTalk Postzilla
50,000 to infinity posts: FlyerTalk Addict

Anyone got funner ones?
Three years ago I posted this:
Originally Posted by nsx
Yes. You came to the right place to discuss this.

Maybe we just need DIFFERENT titles. Here's something I posted a few years ago. Reality-based monikers would have a progression like this:

FT Newbie
FT Lurker
FT Tortoise
FT Searcher
FT Explorer
FT Contributor
FT Loudmouth
FT Slut
FT Addict
FT Obsessive

BTW, everyone posting here qualifies at least for the Addict level.
The response was that some of these go beyond normal self-deprecation. The FT Slut title is a non-starter for reasons which should have been obvious to me. Some of my others were not funny.

koko, I think you have put your finger on the crucial requirement: Every one of the titles needs to be unambiguously non-serious. Why did it take us 3 years to figure that out? I know TalkBoard is inherently slow, but this is ridiculous!
Old Jun 5, 2014, 6:35 pm

Originally Posted by nsx
koko, I think you have put your finger on the crucial requirement: Every one of the titles needs to be unambiguously non-serious. Why did it take us 3 years to figure that out? I know TalkBoard is inherently slow, but this is ridiculous!
Exactly. Because then we all have fun and no one is tempted to go on a posting run just to achieve the next silly status.
Old Jun 5, 2014, 7:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver

Amen! Lights, koko, action.
Old Jun 5, 2014, 8:33 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Is there another meaning to this one? I found:

A postulant (from Latin: postulare, to ask) was originally one who makes a request or demand; hence, a candidate. The use of the term is now generally restricted to those asking for admission into a monastery or a religious institute, both before actual admission and for the period of time preceding their admission into the novitiate.[1] Currently, however, common usage terms the person who has not yet been accepted by the institution as an "inquirer" or "observer".
Old Jun 5, 2014, 8:45 pm

Originally Posted by CMK10
Is there another meaning to this one? I found:
Right...it's a term for a candidate for a religious order. I thought it was

1) punny: POSTulant for a poster who is into it but not quite a fanatic yet

and

2) a wink and nod to the stupid 'evangelist' title.

FUN!
Old Jun 5, 2014, 10:19 pm
nsx
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

3) pestilent
4) pustulent
5) petulant

Ha!
Old Jun 6, 2014, 7:00 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by nsx
3) pestilent
4) pustulent
5) petulant

Ha!

So with 50% FTers (that have posted in the public thread) for new titles & 50% against new titles, we're supposed to do a motion on moving forward with new titles? It's not really a clear mandate for new titles.

As mentioned in the public & private thread I was going to start a new thread with 2 options: If one is created it should have (per one of my earlier posts in the long thread) 2 options: 1) leave as is or 2) create new titles - and a suggestion of what we think the titles/break points are. JDiver, back in mid-April, had some suggestions that could be tweaked (and which I was working on). I also had posted that I would start the thread next week.

Cheers.
Old Jun 6, 2014, 7:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock

So with 50% FTers (that have posted in the public thread) for new titles & 50% against new titles, we're supposed to do a motion on moving forward with new titles? It's not really a clear mandate for new titles.

As mentioned in the public & private thread I was going to start a new thread with 2 options: If one is created it should have (per one of my earlier posts in the long thread) 2 options: 1) leave as is or 2) create new titles - and a suggestion of what we think the titles/break points are. JDiver, back in mid-April, had some suggestions that could be tweaked (and which I was working on). I also had posted that I would start the thread next week.

Cheers.
This just proves that titles are silly; and a big waste of time for Talk Board, especially when members are complaining that TB is inactive.

dhammer53

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.