Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > TalkBoard Topics
Reload this Page >

New post-count titles for FlyerTalk? Nominate your favorites!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New post-count titles for FlyerTalk? Nominate your favorites!

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2014, 4:31 pm

Originally Posted by UA Fan
Gives the impression someone is good member when s/he could just be a lurker, coming primarily to get info, rather than contribute.
I must disagree. There seems to be several people pointing out that quantity over quality is one of the issues faced here ie those on a posting run, or on a frantic quest to achieve the next title, all the while contributing very little to the community other than static.

I am one who tends to value quality posts, and post count does not mean that much to me, so long as the post itself is of value to the community.

But it does seem that the vast majority of posters concerned with the subject are high volume posters, so I realise that I am in the majority on this thread.
Old Apr 23, 2014, 4:44 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by exbayern
I must disagree. There seems to be several people pointing out that quantity over quality is one of the issues faced here ie those on a posting run, or on a frantic quest to achieve the next title, all the while contributing very little to the community other than static.

I am one who tends to value quality posts, and post count does not mean that much to me, so long as the post itself is of value to the community.

But it does seem that the vast majority of posters concerned with the subject are high volume posters, so I realise that I am in the majority on this thread.
What you bring up is indeed an issue. Unfortunately, I do not believe we remotely have any tools that could sort this for us. (I did mention those who are frantically posting to attempt a higher post count for various reasons can have their post count reset, and posts can be deleted, and I can promise you FT members are not at all reticent to alert the moderator crew post padding is going on by using the function.)

Attributions of personal ratings are, unfortunately, subject to abuse and can become indicators of popularity rather than quality; they may also be used to indicate agreement with an opinion or perspective rather than to endorse a particularly valuable contribution or review.

(BTW, my own post count is less than eight posts per day.)
Old Apr 23, 2014, 4:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by JDiver
Not really, as that is post padding and many of those posts will be deleted (as when that happens to "speed up" one's post count to access various FT features). (As well, post counts can be reset by Admin.)
Assuming that someone waits until after they've hit 180 posts, is there a push to review posts after that?
Old Apr 23, 2014, 5:12 pm

Originally Posted by kipper
Assuming that someone waits until after they've hit 180 posts, is there a push to review posts after that?
I personally can't imagine too many actually embarking on post runs after that. If someone were to do that, some FT members will be sure to push the radio button (for empty posts or a number of other issues).
Old Apr 24, 2014, 6:04 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
I think the post count generated title may be the easiest option for vB software. We know it's capable of it, though I don't know how much work it would take to modify what it does now.

My feeling about lower posts counts is the desire to acknowledge and encourage those who may have lower posts counts to further participate in discussions and contribute experiences, etc.

Trip Advisor does this at a much lower level, seeking to encourage and incentivise members to submit reports (since it's their bread and butter, so to speak). (A mere 21 reviews earns one the sobriquet of "Senior Contributor", and 50 for "Top Contributor" . I do not feel like a "Senior Contributor"! Hmm, at seventy next month, I MUST be.)

"Reviewer" was not something I suggested because we have no way of automatically quantifying reviews vs. posts. For TA, someone posted there:
Why would FTers on average want to seek to encourage/motivate a lot more members to post for the sake of a post count title than may be the case currently?

I think the current system of post count titles works fine enough and actually is useful with the rather high thresholds for post count titles. The current system is structured with high enough thresholds that it discourages posting for the sake of post counts/post count titles ... at least beyond the 90/180 post count-related benefits.

People who care to contribute to FT need to be motivated by post count-based titles in order to contribute to FT? I have my doubts about that given how I get my information here. I also have my doubts that this place has anything to gain by encouraging more FTers posting for post-count-based titles, even if moderators have the time and willingness to chase posting habits as part of a post-count-monitoring initiative.

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it!".

I find that the current system of post counts/post count titles isn't broken to such a degree that any change needs to be made in that regard.
Old Apr 24, 2014, 8:39 am

I would post a thumbs up, but don't want to waste my relatively low post count on just an emoticon.

Old Apr 24, 2014, 9:51 am

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Why would FTers on average want to seek to encourage/motivate a lot more members to post for the sake of a post count title than may be the case currently?

I think the current system of post count titles works fine enough and actually is useful with the rather high thresholds for post count titles. The current system is structured with high enough thresholds that it discourages posting for the sake of post counts/post count titles ... at least beyond the 90/180 post count-related benefits.

People who care to contribute to FT need to be motivated by post count-based titles in order to contribute to FT? I have my doubts about that given how I get my information here. I also have my doubts that this place has anything to gain by encouraging more FTers posting for post-count-based titles, even if moderators have the time and willingness to chase posting habits as part of a post-count-monitoring initiative.

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it!".

I find that the current system of post counts/post count titles isn't broken to such a degree that any change needs to be made in that regard.
For one thing, IB and FlyerTalk support. TANSTAAFL applies here; crassly put, a more engaged membership not only results in a broader dialogue, it also brings in more income and assures a vibrant and free FlyerTalk. (I belong to several online communities that charge membership fees or force members to endure periodic pop-up "begathons"; I'm happy FlyerTalk is sufficiently self-sustaining that we can gain so much and enjoy our camaraderie for free.)

It's a pretty minor form of recognition, all being said, and I doubt it will inspire any, er, here it might be! "Posting Maestro" just because of a title under their name.

Posting Maestro. Maybe GUWonder's next title? 50,000 or over? Postmaster? Oh, that USPS already has preempted us.

It ain't broke for you at 70,000+ posts, but why not "share the love" (or at least some "like") with newer members?

(The post monitoring is nothing new for moderators; we already have that on our plate. It takes a lot less time than a number of our other duties, some of which require significant research and documentation. I do thank you and appreciate your concern.)

In the end, no impact on me or my posting behaviour at all. TalkBoard will consider and decide, recommended to CD, Admin and IB, and I trust they will take the broad view and make the best decision - whatever it will be.

Last edited by JDiver; Apr 24, 2014 at 10:06 am
Old Apr 24, 2014, 10:21 am

Off topic, but before I run off and celebrate my largely 'netless at sea 70th birthday and 48th anniversary of an amazing, if not legendary , marriage with the one I've spent hours underwater exploring wrecks and wondrous marine life (especially many sharks), and above water sharing a truly blessed and wonderful life (albeit never without its challenges), I'll add my last ones for the record:

Posting entirely personally, I'd like to see titles that acknowledge people earlier and encourage them. 1,000, 2.5k, 5k, 10k, 25k or so. Names, well, maybe start with
  • Active Member (1,000)
  • Contributing Member (2,500)
  • Involved Member (5,000)
  • Committed Member (10,000)
  • Distinguished Member (25,000)
  • Posting Maestro (50,000) or:
  • Posting Legend or ? Prodigy? Phenom? (the most posts)
etc. or the like. It's up to you and TalkBoard.

The member with the top numbers could get something like "Posting Prodigy" or "Posting Phenom". "Posting Legend" is already there, just as good, IMO.

You may have better titles - be my guest. No ego here, just a way of trying to acknowledge involvement earlier than we do now and avoid "Evangelist" - though "Posting Legend" is OK title IMO, though Leading Member, etc. might be OK as well...

Last edited by JDiver; Apr 24, 2014 at 10:26 am
Old Apr 24, 2014, 10:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Off topic, but before I run off and celebrate my largely 'netless at sea 70th birthday and 48th anniversary of an amazing, if not legendary , marriage with the one I've spent hours underwater exploring wrecks and wondrous marine life (especially many sharks), and above water sharing a truly blessed and wonderful life (albeit never without its challenges), I'll add my last ones for the record:
^^ Congratulations to you and the lovely missus; enjoy your trip, and thanks for all your contributions, both in this thread and all over FlyerTalk!
Old Apr 24, 2014, 10:04 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Happy birthday and congratulations, JDiver.

For one thing, IB and FlyerTalk support. TANSTAAFL applies here; crassly put, a more engaged membership not only results in a broader dialogue, it also brings in more income and assures a vibrant and free FlyerTalk. (I belong to several online communities that charge membership fees or force members to endure periodic pop-up "begathons"; I'm happy FlyerTalk is sufficiently self-sustaining that we can gain so much and enjoy our camaraderie for free.)
FT seems to have grown its membership base substantially despite post-count titles. As it seems to me, the proportion of titled members has dropped substantially over the years and that has not interrupted the overall longer-term trend of the growing membership base.

If IB is finding FT to be substantially financially underperforming now compared to last year and now consider FT a really bad investment for it, that would be news to me. That said, encouraging more posts for the sake of post titles may help IB financially in the short term at the expense of the FT members in the main. If IB is really desperate for increased revenue in the short term, they could do lots of other things for short term gains: ban thread mergers, ban wikis, open OMNI forums for all, perhaps even allow posting by non-registered "guests", and even more. As I said before, FT got this far because it wasn't broken enough for it to be a fatal financial albatross around the neck in the larger sense -- if that has changed for IB, it would be news to me.
Old Apr 27, 2014, 2:48 pm

Programs: QFF Gold, Flying Blue, Enrich
Originally Posted by exbayern
I would post a thumbs up, but don't want to waste my relatively low post count on just an emoticon.

^
Old May 7, 2014, 3:45 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Leave things as-is. Not that there is anything magical about the current system. But I don't feel that spending time making some sort of change is going to have any worthwhile value.
Old May 15, 2014, 10:35 am

Programs: Skyteam
25000 post count should be a legend.
Old May 20, 2014, 4:35 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by skchin
25000 post count should be a legend.
I hereby now dub myself "The Tootsie-Pop Posting King"
Old May 20, 2014, 4:49 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by goalie
I hereby now dub myself "The Tootsie-Pop Posting King"
Don't you mean "The Tootsie-Pop Posting Legend"?

BTW, congrats on 25K.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.