Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > TalkBoard Topics
Reload this Page >

New post-count titles for FlyerTalk? Nominate your favorites!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New post-count titles for FlyerTalk? Nominate your favorites!

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25, 2014, 12:42 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by CMK10
Personally, I think a lot of the "people who are knew don't know what our titles mean and they believe the wrong information" is an ineffective straw man argument. Also, this is Flyertalk, land of the "do a search". Want to know what an Evangelist is? Do a search.
How about a new title for 20,000 posts: "Do a Search!"

Old Feb 25, 2014, 12:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by nsx
How about a new title for 20,000 posts: "Do a Search!"

I'd prefer LMGTFY.
Old Feb 25, 2014, 1:52 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA Gold
Originally Posted by reft
I would then suggest we fork this thread off into:
  1. What should the numerical break points be. Once established...
  2. What should the titles be for those break points. Once done...
  3. Talkboard thread for final discussion to accept or reject the break points and titles.
  4. Final vote.

Useful information that TB could request from Internet Brands for decisions on breakpoints, is a snap shot in time of how many members are currently in each posting bucket, say 1000-9999 by thousands, and over 10,000 by 10,000's. As I mentioned up thread, setting the 'top' title with regard to posting numbers, to reflect the current ~100 posters would make it scarce enough to be meaningful, but allow for growth going forward as FT continues to expand, without the top title becoming diluted.
0-1: Lurker
1-Infinity: Contributor

All titles do is encourage post padding, which is explicitly against the TOS. Having "meaningful" post levels is the same thing as adding a star in your profile every time you are banned.
Old Feb 25, 2014, 2:14 pm

Army adage is KISS So keep the titles simple.
0-1000 Kettles
1001-10000 Elite (pick your color)
10001+ DYKNWIA
Old Feb 25, 2014, 2:49 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Personally, I think a lot of the "people who are knew don't know what our titles mean and they believe the wrong information" is an ineffective straw man argument. Also, this is Flyertalk, land of the "do a search". Want to know what an Evangelist is? Do a search.
Please point out exactly where on FT it tells you what an Evangelist & Legend is & how one gets those titles. I'll be interested to see what results you find when you 'do your search'.

Also, since this thread contains posts from both newbies & some more seasoned FTers that they thought Evangelist meant you had contributed to FT/knew what you were talking about when posting & didn't realize it was based solely on post count, I disagree that it's a strawman argument.

Cheers.
Old Feb 25, 2014, 2:53 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
How about using colors of the rainbow to keep it easy to remember, or would red and yellow be too politically incorrect? It would be convenient to have title where everyone across various cultures would instantly understand the ordering but as value free as possible, so USA Presidents, animals, periods in world history, age terms (baby, infant,..., elder), most geography stuff (but maybe not the tallest mountain peaks), etc. would be out IMO.

Or maybe just Member/Contributor Tier I, Tier II, etc.

I agree that we should avoid the possibility of confusion with airline/hotel elite levels.
Old Feb 25, 2014, 11:25 pm

Programs: HH Silver
I still say titles should stay exactly as is.
I'd agree and this thread is proof there is no consensus on the subject.
Old Feb 26, 2014, 7:08 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Please point out exactly where on FT it tells you what an Evangelist & Legend is & how one gets those titles. I'll be interested to see what results you find when you 'do your search'.

Cheers.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/22370003-post22.html

That was hard. You might even recognize who wrote it
Old Feb 26, 2014, 7:27 am

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/22370003-post22.html

That was hard. You might even recognize who wrote it
Sorry - no pass for you. I recently wrote that because of this thread. Back to doing a search & letting us know where else it appears on FT. Since you've been a member for almost 12 years & are quite familiar with search & seem to think that an explanation of what Evangelist & Legend already exists, it shouldn't be a problem for you to come up w/ where the explanation is located & post that link. Get back to us when you have that

Cheers.
Old Feb 26, 2014, 7:32 am

Originally Posted by tcook052
I'd agree and this thread is proof there is no consensus on the subject.
There is some consensus. Almost everyone agrees the title Evangelist is "silly, dumb, sounds like something out of the 90s, no longer applies especially related to its true meaning" & should be replaced. In reading through the entire thread, there are more yes votes/input for new post-count titles than there is for keeping titles as is or dropping them entirely (the latter two being tied).

Cheers.
Old Feb 26, 2014, 7:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
Might I suggest an entirely new thread with a title clearly stating to state a preference for the 3 options suggested?

This one is kinda long, on the older side, and really doesn't let people know what we're discussing.
Old Feb 26, 2014, 7:36 am

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Sorry - no pass for you. I recently wrote that because of this thread. Back to doing a search & letting us know where else it appears on FT. Since you've been a member for almost 12 years & are quite familiar with search & seem to think that an explanation of what Evangelist & Legend already exists, it shouldn't be a problem for you to come up w/ where the explanation is located & post that link. Get back to us when you have that

Cheers.
Plenty of discussion here. Even says why some people have 10,000 posts and aren't Evangelists:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...vangelist.html

There is some consensus. Almost everyone agrees the title Evangelist is "silly, dumb, sounds like something out of the 90s, no longer applies especially related to its true meaning" & should be replaced. In reading through the entire thread, there are more yes votes/input for new post-count titles than there is for keeping titles as is or dropping them entirely (the latter two being tied).

Cheers.
There are half a million Flyertalk members. This thread has 180 posts. Even if every person who posted said exactly what you just said (which they haven't because at least this guy doesn't agree), I don't think that qualifies as "almost everyone agrees". Do you really think 400,000 or so FT members agree? Hell, I doubt you could even support "almost everyone has an opinion one way or the other".
Old Feb 26, 2014, 7:40 am

There are a half a million registered users. That includes people from day 1 who don't come here any longer as well as spammers who register and are immediately suspended.

My guess is that there are about 10-20k people who come here regularly - if that many.
Old Feb 26, 2014, 7:46 am

Originally Posted by Mary2e
There are a half a million registered users. That includes people from day 1 who don't come here any longer as well as spammers who register and are immediately suspended.

My guess is that there are about 10-20k people who come here regularly - if that many.
Fine. Do most of those think they're silly and dumb? I still think that a small thread in a relatively ignored forum with under 200 posts, not all of which are on the subject, constitutes the sample pool some people claim it does.
Old Feb 26, 2014, 7:48 am

When things are up for discussion, there usually is a link on every forum page for comments - at least it's been that way for the last year or so. People who wish to comment should be able to do so.

Right now, from the best I can tell, it's not even a motion. I wish it were so there is a better chance of comment by those members who don't come here.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.