Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Best Hotels to use the SPG50 (50% OFF Rack Rate Certificate)...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 28, 2015, 8:11 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: lcpteck
Terms and Conditions
  • 50% Off Award is subject to availability; advance reservations required. Callers must advise they are using a 50% Off Award and request Rate Plan ID: SPG50 when making reservations. The number and type of rooms offered may be limited and black-out dates may apply. 50% Off Award may not apply to suites at all hotels.
  • 50% Off Award is valid for a maximum of up to five consecutive nights at SPG50 participating hotels worldwide. Using the 50% Off Award for less than five nights, forfeits any unused nights, and the 50% Off Award is no longer valid for use in connection with any other stay.
  • Most, but not all, Starwood Preferred Guest participating hotels participate in the 50% Off Award. 50% Off Awards are NOT valid in Hawaii or at the Bahrain Sheraton Hotel.
  • At Sheraton Vacation Resorts and Westin Vacation Resorts, the 50% Off Award length of stay requirements may vary. Please call for specific requirements. However, only one certificate is required regardless of how many nights a guest is eligible to stay at Vacation Resorts.
  • 50% Off Award is valid on regular (RACK) room rates based upon availability of the SPG50 Rate Plan.
  • 50% Off Award may not be applied toward service charges, room tax, food and beverages, parking, gratuities, gift shop purchases, or other incidental charges and taxes.
  • Starwood Preferred Guest Members are eligible to receive Starpoints for the paid portion of the stay only. Starpoints cannot be earned on any paid portion of the SPG50 Rate Plan at Sheraton Vacation Resorts or Westin Vacation Resorts.
  • 50% Off Award reservations are commissionable to Travel Agents.
  • Standard Guarantee and Deposit Policy applies and varies by hotel.
  • 50% Off Award is not combinable with other room or rate promotional discounts or special programs, including Upgrade Certificates.
  • 50% off Award is good for only one room during the stay.
  • 50% Off Award has no cash value.
Print Wikipost

Best Hotels to use the SPG50 (50% OFF Rack Rate Certificate)...

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27, 2008, 10:10 am

Programs: DL PlatMM, BA and Alaska Emerald, HHonors DIA, Accor, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat Amb, UA Silver, AA
Originally Posted by DownUnderFlyer
So again the SPG50 is not worth anything.
It's not worth anything IF you are looking in the US, or at standard rooms in low season, especially at hotels which often discount on weekends, etc.

But for suites or villas at resorts, it's difficult to beat. Saves $25/night for Villas, and if staying 5 nights, that is worth it to me. On standard rooms, it saves less, only about $10/night.
So in countries where Rack Rates are lower, like in SE Asia, it still has some kick. But in the US it's less likely to be useful.
Old Apr 27, 2008, 9:53 pm

Programs: UA 1P MM, SPG Lifetime Gold
Do you get points and stay credit when using an SPG50?
Old Apr 27, 2008, 9:55 pm

Programs: DL PlatMM, BA and Alaska Emerald, HHonors DIA, Accor, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat Amb, UA Silver, AA
Originally Posted by PCTraveler
Yes.
Old Apr 27, 2008, 9:57 pm

Programs: AC, AA, SPG
Originally Posted by PCTraveler
The answer is in the "SPG FAQ" sticky at the top of the forum. Here is the link:

http://flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=667952

It's also on SPG's website here:

http://www.starwoodhotels.com/promot...ode=50offTERMS
Old Apr 27, 2008, 11:14 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold
I'm using two certificates at 5 nights each for a stay at the Hotel Pulitzer in Amsterdam this summer. The lowest refundable rate at the time I booked was 294 euros a night and the SPG50 rate is 260, which is definitely worthwhile, especially for a long stay.

Last edited by stheller; Apr 27, 2008 at 11:21 pm
Old Apr 30, 2008, 6:58 am
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by kyushuman
It's not worth anything IF you are looking in the US, or at standard rooms in low season, especially at hotels which often discount on weekends, etc.

But for suites or villas at resorts, it's difficult to beat. Saves $25/night for Villas, and if staying 5 nights, that is worth it to me. On standard rooms, it saves less, only about $10/night.
So in countries where Rack Rates are lower, like in SE Asia, it still has some kick. But in the US it's less likely to be useful.
I will keep on trying. I always looked at hotels in Asia and Europe, not the US and so far didn't find anything.
And I also looked at resorts, but of course the wrong ones: French Polynesia. SPG50 doesn't work there.
Old Apr 30, 2008, 7:06 am
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by stheller
I'm using two certificates at 5 nights each for a stay at the Hotel Pulitzer in Amsterdam this summer. The lowest refundable rate at the time I booked was 294 euros a night and the SPG50 rate is 260, which is definitely worthwhile, especially for a long stay.
Well, if you can still cancel then do it because currently the cheapest room for 5 nights in July is EUR242. Better deal than the SPG50. And you can still use the SPG50 some other time. ^

sfozrhfco, this is a great rate you have there.
Old May 6, 2008, 12:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: A festering pit; a pustule of a fistula set athwart the miasmic swamps of the armpit of the Gulf of Mexico - a Godforsaken wart upon a dark crevasse of the World. (IAH)
Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, BA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold
Resort at Singer Island (Palm Beach, FL) for Two Nights in June:

SPG50 Rate for Standard Pool-View Suite = $200/night
Best Internet Special Rate = $271/night

I snagged an Oceanview Suite for $225/night (still approximately $50/night savings over the cheapest internet special). Figured I'd go for the Oceanview, as this hotel is not required to upgrade Plats due to being an all-suite hotel
Old May 24, 2008, 3:20 pm

Programs: United Premier 1K
I saved 60Euro / night (x1 night) for a booking at the Westin Madrid and 70Euro / night (x4 nights) for a booking at Le Meridian Barcelona this September.

Definitely a great value for 2000 SPG points (works out to about 25 US cents per point!)
Old May 24, 2008, 4:36 pm
formerly known as 2lovelife

Location: ORF : UA_Premier_Gold4Life, Bonvoy_titanium, Accor_Plat
I just used an SPG50 at the ST Regis Singapore for SG$400 which is much cheaper than I've seen for this hotel.
Old May 25, 2008, 3:33 am
Aman Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by seanthepilot
I just used an SPG50 at the ST Regis Singapore for SG$400 which is much cheaper than I've seen for this hotel.
I just played with a few dates this year and saw S$396 per night coming up quite often. Without corporate rate or anything pre-paid.

Last edited by DownUnderFlyer; May 25, 2008 at 7:45 am Reason: Clarified currency
Old May 25, 2008, 5:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
Originally Posted by kyushuman
It's not worth anything IF you are looking in the US....
That is just bull. I have used SPG50 certs several times on stays in the US to get a rate lower than the lowest otherwise available rate (incl. rates for which I was eligible, such as AAA). Although the savings weren't spectacular, they were worthwhile.

It seems that people seize on an anecdote or a few, then overgeneralize from that. SPG50 is potentially useful anywhere, though of course you have to phone to find out whether it actually will be useful at any particular hotel on a particular set of dates.
Old Jun 30, 2008, 3:33 pm
Community Director Emerita

Le Meridien Piccadilly, London
January 2009

Best online rate: 269pds + tax
SPG50 rate: 179pds + tax
Old Jun 30, 2008, 8:39 pm

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by KathyWdrf
That is just bull. I have used SPG50 certs several times on stays in the US to get a rate lower than the lowest otherwise available rate (incl. rates for which I was eligible, such as AAA). Although the savings weren't spectacular, they were worthwhile.
I would agree. I've used SPG50 several times in the US and saved some good money. The most recent is for July 4th in St. Louis. I can't remember exact but I believe the cheapest for a suite was about $300 a night and I was able to get $234.
Old Jul 1, 2008, 12:11 am
Aman Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
Le Meridien Piccadilly, London
January 2009

Best online rate: 269pds + tax
SPG50 rate: 179pds + tax
I just checked several dates and I get GBP 179 fully flexible on many days in January.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.