Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Best Hotels to use the SPG50 (50% OFF Rack Rate Certificate)...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 28, 2015, 8:11 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: lcpteck
Terms and Conditions
  • 50% Off Award is subject to availability; advance reservations required. Callers must advise they are using a 50% Off Award and request Rate Plan ID: SPG50 when making reservations. The number and type of rooms offered may be limited and black-out dates may apply. 50% Off Award may not apply to suites at all hotels.
  • 50% Off Award is valid for a maximum of up to five consecutive nights at SPG50 participating hotels worldwide. Using the 50% Off Award for less than five nights, forfeits any unused nights, and the 50% Off Award is no longer valid for use in connection with any other stay.
  • Most, but not all, Starwood Preferred Guest participating hotels participate in the 50% Off Award. 50% Off Awards are NOT valid in Hawaii or at the Bahrain Sheraton Hotel.
  • At Sheraton Vacation Resorts and Westin Vacation Resorts, the 50% Off Award length of stay requirements may vary. Please call for specific requirements. However, only one certificate is required regardless of how many nights a guest is eligible to stay at Vacation Resorts.
  • 50% Off Award is valid on regular (RACK) room rates based upon availability of the SPG50 Rate Plan.
  • 50% Off Award may not be applied toward service charges, room tax, food and beverages, parking, gratuities, gift shop purchases, or other incidental charges and taxes.
  • Starwood Preferred Guest Members are eligible to receive Starpoints for the paid portion of the stay only. Starpoints cannot be earned on any paid portion of the SPG50 Rate Plan at Sheraton Vacation Resorts or Westin Vacation Resorts.
  • 50% Off Award reservations are commissionable to Travel Agents.
  • Standard Guarantee and Deposit Policy applies and varies by hotel.
  • 50% Off Award is not combinable with other room or rate promotional discounts or special programs, including Upgrade Certificates.
  • 50% off Award is good for only one room during the stay.
  • 50% Off Award has no cash value.
Print Wikipost

Best Hotels to use the SPG50 (50% OFF Rack Rate Certificate)...

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12, 2009, 10:32 pm
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by Starwood Lurker
You know, of course, this is utter blasphemy here at Flyertalk. Get with the program man...those certificates are worthless.
Of course those certificates can be used in certain situations. London properties are a good example.
And jvmurph has maybe saved $25 now compared to the best available rate at time of booking.

But the problem with those certificates remain. Firstly, many of us have access to corporate rates so we would have gotten 10-20% off the BAR rate anyway. Secondly, even if this was really the best rate at time of booking we have seen many examples here were the hotel became available for a cheaper rate at a later stage. I always re-check my bookings and frequently cancel stays just to rebook the same room at a cheaper price. And lastly, there is still a big gap between the expectation created by *W ("50% OFF!") and what you then get in reality. And we haven't even talked about the cumbersome booking process which is costing *W unnecessary amounts of money.
Old Feb 17, 2010, 4:49 am

Just clicking around on spg.com tonight, searched about 20 properties (Asia-Pacific, primarily), and noticed that for the vast majority of them Rack rates that do no show during a regular search will display when using the 'Promotions and Packages' option... might be helpful for some in planning.

Last edited by makin'miles; Feb 17, 2010 at 5:00 am
Old Feb 17, 2010, 7:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DownUnderFlyer
But the problem with those certificates remain. Firstly, many of us have access to corporate rates so we would have gotten 10-20% off the BAR rate anyway. Secondly, even if this was really the best rate at time of booking we have seen many examples here were the hotel became available for a cheaper rate at a later stage. I always re-check my bookings and frequently cancel stays just to rebook the same room at a cheaper price. And lastly, there is still a big gap between the expectation created by *W ("50% OFF!") and what you then get in reality. And we haven't even talked about the cumbersome booking process which is costing *W unnecessary amounts of money.
Yeah, the frequent stay program that built its reputation on "fair-dealing" and simplicity insists on issuing largely useless and largely misleading certificates.

It's obviously a boneheaded business decision and, for the life of me, I can't understand why SPG insists on continuing this "legacy" certificate.

While I would prefer a USEFUL certificate (how about a BOGO weekend coupon?), a low value certificate like BOGO breakfast would be an excellent replacement. Lurker, why does the company insist on maintaining this customer displeasing certificate, and why not use some of your company's trademark innovation to come up with something better?
Old Feb 17, 2010, 9:47 am
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
Originally Posted by iahphx
Yeah, the frequent stay program that built its reputation on "fair-dealing" and simplicity insists on issuing largely useless and largely misleading certificates.

It's obviously a boneheaded business decision and, for the life of me, I can't understand why SPG insists on continuing this "legacy" certificate.

While I would prefer a USEFUL certificate (how about a BOGO weekend coupon?), a low value certificate like BOGO breakfast would be an excellent replacement.
While I can appreciate that you have an opinion regarding the SPG50% off redemption opportunity, my best guess is that there are probably a significant number of members who do not hold the same opinion. Otherwise, SPG would have done away with it long ago. And, no disrespect intended, but I find it a bit cavalier to cast aspersions on the program regarding something for which you have no actual data to base it upon other than your own personal experience.

Lurker, why does the company insist on maintaining this customer displeasing certificate, and why not use some of your company's trademark innovation to come up with something better?
And, while we are clearing the air, I don't appreciate your having made this a personal issue for me. It is a bit like asking me, "So Lurker, when did you quit beating your wife?" I have absolutely no say in what is or is not offered by the program as a redemption opportunity, so I find it a bit over the top to be put into a position to answer for it. Rather, members of the program have the ability to affect what is or is not being offered. If no one - or even a limited number - were using SPG50, it would go away like others have.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders
Online Guest Feedback Coordinator
Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide

[email protected]
Old Feb 17, 2010, 10:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My biggest frustration with the SPG50 certs is that you can't check rates/availability online. Sure, the certs could have a better value/be more useful than they are, but they do provide good value at a number of hotels, maybe not every night, but not never either.
Old Feb 17, 2010, 5:49 pm
Suspended

I find it a bit cavalier to cast aspersions on the program regarding something for which you have no actual data to base it upon other than your own personal experience.
This hits the nail on the head, no?
Old Feb 17, 2010, 6:00 pm
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
Originally Posted by JFKSFOLAX_friend
This hits the nail on the head, no?
Well, to be fair, it does nothing to diminish a negative opinion that one member may have built up due to their own personal experience, which is most regrettable. But, it does fall short of being the gospel as it applies to the other 10+million members of the program.

Seriously...if this was not a valid redemption option based on the number of redemptions/reservations made at the SPG50 rate, it would have disappeared ages ago. We've all seen some come and go due to non-viability. Even this one will disappear if the numbers suggest that it should. Until then, it is what it is.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders

[email protected]
Old Feb 17, 2010, 6:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well, to be fair, it does nothing to diminish a negative opinion that one member may have built up due to their own personal experience, which is most regrettable. But, it does fall short of being the gospel as it applies to the other 10+million members of the program.

Seriously...if this was not a valid redemption option based on the number of redemptions/reservations made at the SPG50 rate, it would have disappeared ages ago. We've all seen some come and go due to non-viability. Even this one will disappear if the numbers suggest that it should. Until then, it is what it is.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders

[email protected]
FWIW, I didn't intend to make it PERSONAL. As our official SPG "spokes-lurker," I merely sought to encourage you to lobby the powers-that-be to revisit this promo, whose utility died about a decade ago.

But as far as this being "just one man's opinion" -- c'mon, that's just ridiculous. I'm sure you know that most SPG flyertalkers consider the SPG50 certificate to be, essentially, useless. And this is by no means an ill-informed opinion. Flyertalkers have been saying this for, what, a decade now?

True, it's possible that unsophisticated SPG members could save a few bucks with an SPG50 once-in-awhile, but for everyone else, you're going to be hard pressed to find much value there. Which is not to say it's impossible -- you know what they say about a stopped watch being right twice a day. But as a practical matter, these certs add nothing to the otherwise excellent SPG AMEX program. Especially since, as noted, there's no way to check the savings on line. Do you really expect/want us to call rez and ask about the SPG50 rate when the odds that it would lower the price is, what, 1 percent?

Why not provide cardholders a USEFUL cert -- even a low value certificate that anybody could use? Isn't simplicity the cornerstone of the SPG program? The continued existence of the SPG50 just makes no sense.
Old Feb 17, 2010, 6:33 pm

Programs: Aeroplan E25, Amtrak Guest Rewards, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold, Delta Skymiles Silver, HHonors Gold, Nexus
The fact remains, that the SPG50 IS useful to some, while not useful to others. Nearly every promotion they offer will be viewed in that way. For example, someone earlier mentioned free breakfast? For my grandmother, free breakfast is a big selling point for a hotel. For me? If I'm at a hotel, it's for leisure, and 4 out of 5 times I'm just getting up within the last moments of breakfast, so the promotion would do me no good. For business travelers, it may be different, true.

Last year I got a room at the Westin Nova Scotian for $169CAD per night, on the busiest week of the year for the city (the Buskers Festival. Ask Flews, a few months ago, I found out he was at the hotel for a few days when I was there), when the rooms were going for $199 easy, and nearly every promotion was showing no availability.

Seeing as I was staying a total of nine days, I ended up using the birth year rate for the first three, the SPG50 for the next five, and a free weekend night award for the last. I didn't even have 1,000 points left in my account at the time, as I've been transferring them all to AGR. So, I paid the $35 for 1,000 points, and saved $150 + the 15.28% tax, so I had a total savings of $137.92. I find that to be a good savings for myself.

Granted, I know it rarely works out that well all the time, there are certainly situations where it does work. As a SPG rep put it to me on Monday, the discount is great in peak season days, where a hotel is near selling out, and have jacked the rate up closer to the RACK rate. (Think NYC during the summer, assuming there's availability.)

In short, I wouldn't be devastated to see the discount go, but I wouldn't push for it either.
Old Feb 17, 2010, 7:13 pm
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Of course it is a valid redemption option and countless reservations are made using it. And it is a very nice marketing instrument as it leaves a trail of happy people behind who all think that they have made a good deal. So the customers are happy because the have a good feeling and Starwood is happy because people often pay more than they would need to and still feel good about it.
So from this perspective it is and will always be a good redemption option. And I guess this is the shortfall of all the proposals which are made here in this thread in regards to alternative certificates: All of them would cost Starwood money (rather than making it) and most probably wouldn't create more loyalty than the current 50% off certificates.
Old Feb 17, 2010, 7:45 pm
Suspended

Especially since, as noted, there's no way to check the savings on line. Do you really expect/want us to call rez and ask about the SPG50 rate when the odds that it would lower the price is, what, 1 percent?
I do have to agree with this sentiment (though, again, (I assume) the poster is using his personal experience to come up with the 1% figure).

Having said that, in this day and age we should be able to check for SPG50 rates online. I mean, c'mon...it is 2010, after all.
Old Feb 18, 2010, 11:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JFKSFOLAX_friend
I do have to agree with this sentiment (though, again, (I assume) the poster is using his personal experience to come up with the 1% figure).

Having said that, in this day and age we should be able to check for SPG50 rates online. I mean, c'mon...it is 2010, after all.
One percent is a wild-... guess since I haven't actually been able to use the 50% off certificate since the days of ITT Sheraton. After you've asked the rez agents 20 times whether you could save money with the SPG and they always say "no," you stop bothering to ask -- especially now that you can do most bookings online. I now only ask a few times a year when I remember, so perhaps my information is old (but I doubt it).

BTW, it's still completely optional whether a hotel will do SPG50, right? Because I recall several conversations where the agent said the property wasn't even participating. Given the general loopiness of "rack rate" these days (aka, the rate NOBODY is paying), I don't think it matters much, but I recall it often not being a booking option to start with.
Old Mar 4, 2010, 7:24 pm

i've had some good ones

meh... i guess. i have access to corp rates that are decent but i got a $179 rate with spg50 at the sheraton in vail.

also, where i have had great luck with it is the sheraton grand in bangkok and sheraton pattaya. there i use it for the higher level rooms and get rates pretty close to the lowest rate available for a much better room - also most times the best rate is not cancelable (when the corp rate does not work) so SPG is an alternative that still gives stay credit and can cancel easily... I think it has value over... even for the savvy SPG guy (i'm very savvy - my mom said so )
Old Mar 5, 2010, 2:33 pm

Originally Posted by MilesToGoBeforeISleep
meh... i guess. i have access to corp rates that are decent but i got a $179 rate with spg50 at the sheraton in vail.
The corporate rates I have checked in the past always seemed to be better than the spg50 rate, especially when you factor in the bonus starpoints we get for booking through our travel portal. This being the case, I've never redeemed a spg50 coupon. Can you sell the spg50 coupons anywhere?
Old Mar 5, 2010, 7:26 pm
formerly known as 2lovelife

Location: ORF : UA_Premier_Gold4Life, Bonvoy_titanium, Accor_Plat
One percent is a wild-... guess since I haven't actually been able to use the 50% off certificate since the days of ITT Sheraton.
... I now only ask a few times a year when I remember, so perhaps my information is old (but I doubt it).
Funny. I love the SPG50.

I sure hope you're not lobbying for this part of the SPG Program, that I frequently benefit from, to be shelved?

If you don't like it fine. But there's no need to mess it up for the rest of us!

Oh yeah, instead of just more off topic ramblings, here's a contribution.

I saved $40/night using this rate at the Newark Sheraton not long ago.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.