Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Best Hotels to use the SPG50 (50% OFF Rack Rate Certificate)...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 28, 2015, 8:11 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: lcpteck
Terms and Conditions
  • 50% Off Award is subject to availability; advance reservations required. Callers must advise they are using a 50% Off Award and request Rate Plan ID: SPG50 when making reservations. The number and type of rooms offered may be limited and black-out dates may apply. 50% Off Award may not apply to suites at all hotels.
  • 50% Off Award is valid for a maximum of up to five consecutive nights at SPG50 participating hotels worldwide. Using the 50% Off Award for less than five nights, forfeits any unused nights, and the 50% Off Award is no longer valid for use in connection with any other stay.
  • Most, but not all, Starwood Preferred Guest participating hotels participate in the 50% Off Award. 50% Off Awards are NOT valid in Hawaii or at the Bahrain Sheraton Hotel.
  • At Sheraton Vacation Resorts and Westin Vacation Resorts, the 50% Off Award length of stay requirements may vary. Please call for specific requirements. However, only one certificate is required regardless of how many nights a guest is eligible to stay at Vacation Resorts.
  • 50% Off Award is valid on regular (RACK) room rates based upon availability of the SPG50 Rate Plan.
  • 50% Off Award may not be applied toward service charges, room tax, food and beverages, parking, gratuities, gift shop purchases, or other incidental charges and taxes.
  • Starwood Preferred Guest Members are eligible to receive Starpoints for the paid portion of the stay only. Starpoints cannot be earned on any paid portion of the SPG50 Rate Plan at Sheraton Vacation Resorts or Westin Vacation Resorts.
  • 50% Off Award reservations are commissionable to Travel Agents.
  • Standard Guarantee and Deposit Policy applies and varies by hotel.
  • 50% Off Award is not combinable with other room or rate promotional discounts or special programs, including Upgrade Certificates.
  • 50% off Award is good for only one room during the stay.
  • 50% Off Award has no cash value.
Print Wikipost

Best Hotels to use the SPG50 (50% OFF Rack Rate Certificate)...

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2009, 4:54 pm

Once again benefits elude me

Read this thread, contacted Starwood to ask where my SPG 50 was (in a nice way), was shunted to SPG AMEX person who has no clue what I'm talking about.

So, for anyone else who stumbles across this as I did, can someone clarify whether they have a special TYPE or LEVEL or SPG Amex that is entitling them to this benefit?

Thanks.
Old May 30, 2009, 1:54 pm
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by uprightposition
Read this thread, contacted Starwood to ask where my SPG 50 was (in a nice way), was shunted to SPG AMEX person who has no clue what I'm talking about.

So, for anyone else who stumbles across this as I did, can someone clarify whether they have a special TYPE or LEVEL or SPG Amex that is entitling them to this benefit?
Anyone who has an SPG AMEX card should get an SPG50 in your sign up pack and your renewal envelope. AMEX is responsible for delivering it.
Old May 30, 2009, 11:50 pm

I think I received a SPG50 cert one time and never used it, but have had the card for years. Should I have received a new cert every year, or do they not send it if you never used the first one?
Old May 31, 2009, 12:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by uprightposition
You have two options:
-contact Amex, and tell them you didn't get your SPG50
-contact SPG, tell them Amex didn't send you your SPG50 and you want the rep to order an AX50 off of your account. If they don't know how to do that, ask for a supervisor.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/11196791-post2.html

Originally Posted by Pointeater
I think I received a SPG50 cert one time and never used it, but have had the card for years. Should I have received a new cert every year, or do they not send it if you never used the first one?
You should get one every year (around renewal).
Old May 31, 2009, 1:43 am

Thanks, I'll try

In the interim, the *wood person told me it was after my first year was completed,not when I sign up.

I will, however,do as you've said and try through a supe during the work week.

Thanks.
Old Jun 16, 2009, 7:21 pm

Programs: AA 2.2MM LT Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott/SPG Platinum
I've been looking for a hotel in NYC (2 beds, in the city - not NJ) for a reasonable price, and was hoping that an SPG50 might help. No dice. The SPG50 price for the 4P Chelsea is almost $300/night, while you can book it for $148/night on the site.

So far, I'm leaning towards the Hilton Garden Inn Chelsea for $139/night, with free breakfast (as an HH Gold). It's a shame that SPG can't compete at this level.

I keep checking every time I look at hotels, but have still never found a case where it would be cheaper for me to use an SPG50 certificate.
Old Jul 17, 2009, 2:38 pm

Programs: SPG Lifetime Plat, AA Gold, UA Gold, DL Silver, HH Gold, Vail Epic
Is there a thread dedicated to reporting the prices for SPG50 rates?

This is from a current marketing site promoting SPG50 at St Regis properties:

Starwood Preferred Guests Rewards at The St. Regis

PREFERRED RATES, EXCEPTIONAL REWARDS
Embark on a voyage to the world's best addresses at the St. Regis with the benefits of your Starpoints®. Rewarded to Starwood Preferred Guests only, redeem 1,000 Starpoints and reserve your stay at half-off our published full retail price. Stay through December 31, 2009.

The St. Regis Aspen Resort from USD $235.
The St. Regis Atlanta from USD $300.
The St. Regis Bali Resort from USD $375.
The St. Regis Beijing from CNY 2,050.
The St. Regis Grand Hotel, Rome from €445.
The St. Regis Houston from USD $288.
The St. Regis Monarch Beach Resort from USD $315.
The St. Regis New York from USD $548.
The St. Regis Punta Mita Resort from USD $488.
The St. Regis San Francisco from USD $325.
The St. Regis Shanghai from CNY 1,645.
The St. Regis Singapore from SGD 400.
The St. Regis Washington, D.C. from USD $423.

As usual, these can only be booked by phone.
Old Aug 1, 2009, 2:49 pm

Programs: SPG & CO Plat.
Originally Posted by sc flier
Is there a thread dedicated to reporting the prices for SPG50 rates?

This is from a current marketing site promoting SPG50 at St Regis properties:

Starwood Preferred Guests Rewards at The St. Regis

PREFERRED RATES, EXCEPTIONAL REWARDS
Embark on a voyage to the world's best addresses at the St. Regis with the benefits of your Starpoints®. Rewarded to Starwood Preferred Guests only, redeem 1,000 Starpoints and reserve your stay at half-off our published full retail price. Stay through December 31, 2009.

The St. Regis Beijing from CNY 2,050.

As usual, these can only be booked by phone.
Hmmm, I can spend 1000 points to get a CNY 2,050 rate, or I can just book off the web at CNY 1,280.

What shall I do?
Old Oct 31, 2009, 8:12 pm
Suspended

Programs: SPG Plat, HH Gold, United MP Premier, Alaska Air, BA, Qantas, ANZ
Originally Posted by FatManInNYC
Hmmm, I can spend 1000 points to get a CNY 2,050 rate, or I can just book off the web at CNY 1,280.

What shall I do?

I can never understand this.
Old Oct 31, 2009, 8:27 pm
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by FatManInNYC

What shall I do?
Thats the point. The SPG 50 certificates from your Amex/ customer service/points redemption are worthless in most cases. You need to go through this thread and occasionally you will find someone who saved $50.
Old Oct 31, 2009, 9:58 pm
Suspended

Programs: SPG Plat, HH Gold, United MP Premier, Alaska Air, BA, Qantas, ANZ
Originally Posted by DownUnderFlyer
Thats the point. The SPG 50 certificates from your Amex/ customer service/points redemption are worthless in most cases. You need to go through this thread and occasionally you will find someone who saved $50.
I'll have 4 expire over the next couple of months or so--and I am staying at *woods--just finding better rates without the SPG50.
Old Nov 1, 2009, 12:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
these are worthlless when you book ordinary rooms. They are good value when you want to book a specific suite. I had that recently with a Hotel in Europe. BAR was about 3400 USD. My ambassador proposed an award of 40k per night (20k standard plus 20k suite) plus a payment of about 2000 USD per night to secure the place I wanted to have. As this would have been an award stay it would have scored no points. I aked her to check the route via SPG50. It came out at 2100 USD plus 1000 points and scores full points. Guess what route I took?
Old Nov 1, 2009, 4:21 am
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by Flying Lawyer
these are worthlless when you book ordinary rooms. They are good value when you want to book a specific suite. I had that recently with a Hotel in Europe. BAR was about 3400 USD. My ambassador proposed an award of 40k per night (20k standard plus 20k suite) plus a payment of about 2000 USD per night to secure the place I wanted to have. As this would have been an award stay it would have scored no points. I aked her to check the route via SPG50. It came out at 2100 USD plus 1000 points and scores full points. Guess what route I took?
True they can have some value for certain categories. But even in your case the value is not that great. And very disappointing when you were presented with a "50% off" voucher from Customer Service for a problem during a stay and you then find out that this has almost no value.
Old Nov 1, 2009, 5:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
it always works for me in london....i'm getting the le méridien piccadilly for £175 a night next month with the spg50....otherwise the best rate at the moment is £259....
Old Nov 1, 2009, 6:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
True they can have some value for certain categories. But even in your case the value is not that great. And very disappointing when you were presented with a "50% off" voucher from Customer Service for a problem during a stay and you then find out that this has almost no value.

well, the value is about 50k points per night for the "payment plus SPG50" compared to the route via an award plus payment....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.