Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Best Hotels to use the SPG50 (50% OFF Rack Rate Certificate)...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 28, 2015, 8:11 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: lcpteck
Terms and Conditions
  • 50% Off Award is subject to availability; advance reservations required. Callers must advise they are using a 50% Off Award and request Rate Plan ID: SPG50 when making reservations. The number and type of rooms offered may be limited and black-out dates may apply. 50% Off Award may not apply to suites at all hotels.
  • 50% Off Award is valid for a maximum of up to five consecutive nights at SPG50 participating hotels worldwide. Using the 50% Off Award for less than five nights, forfeits any unused nights, and the 50% Off Award is no longer valid for use in connection with any other stay.
  • Most, but not all, Starwood Preferred Guest participating hotels participate in the 50% Off Award. 50% Off Awards are NOT valid in Hawaii or at the Bahrain Sheraton Hotel.
  • At Sheraton Vacation Resorts and Westin Vacation Resorts, the 50% Off Award length of stay requirements may vary. Please call for specific requirements. However, only one certificate is required regardless of how many nights a guest is eligible to stay at Vacation Resorts.
  • 50% Off Award is valid on regular (RACK) room rates based upon availability of the SPG50 Rate Plan.
  • 50% Off Award may not be applied toward service charges, room tax, food and beverages, parking, gratuities, gift shop purchases, or other incidental charges and taxes.
  • Starwood Preferred Guest Members are eligible to receive Starpoints for the paid portion of the stay only. Starpoints cannot be earned on any paid portion of the SPG50 Rate Plan at Sheraton Vacation Resorts or Westin Vacation Resorts.
  • 50% Off Award reservations are commissionable to Travel Agents.
  • Standard Guarantee and Deposit Policy applies and varies by hotel.
  • 50% Off Award is not combinable with other room or rate promotional discounts or special programs, including Upgrade Certificates.
  • 50% off Award is good for only one room during the stay.
  • 50% Off Award has no cash value.
Print Wikipost

Best Hotels to use the SPG50 (50% OFF Rack Rate Certificate)...

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23, 2007, 8:19 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, QFF, UA, Hyatt, SPG
I recently used it at the Westin in Sydney, savings averaged out to around $50 per night.
Old Apr 24, 2007, 11:16 am

I used it for an upcoming stay at the Royal Orchid Sheraton. Cheapest rate for a 3 night stay was $130 / night, and that was pre-paid. With SPG50 the rate was $105 / night and could be cancelled.
Old Apr 24, 2007, 12:06 pm

Got the Le Meridien Lav (Split, Croatia) for 155 Euros/night instead of 230 during peak summer season. Seaview with private balcony was about 200 Euros/night I believe.
Old Apr 24, 2007, 12:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: A festering pit; a pustule of a fistula set athwart the miasmic swamps of the armpit of the Gulf of Mexico - a Godforsaken wart upon a dark crevasse of the World. (IAH)
Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, BA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold
If the rate is available, you can snag a Suite at the Sheraton Old San Juan for $220/night. Often, standard rooms on spg.com go for $240-$255/night.

Additionally, the Presidential Suite at the Sheraton Old San Juan may be had on the SPG 50 rate. They quoted me approximately $440/night. Apparently it has a large, bay-facing balcony and a hot-tub, amongst other accoutrements.
Old Apr 26, 2007, 1:01 pm

Programs: AS MVP, HH Silver VIP, IHG Platinum, SPG Gold
Got mine and am using it at the Westin Pasadena next month, saving about $85 off best spg.com rate.
Old Jun 17, 2007, 7:43 am

Programs: Lifetime AA Gold-1MM
I'm using an SPG50 certificate on an upcoming stay at the Westin in Portland, OR. The best online rate (not pre-paid) is $219/night, my rate for 3 nights with the certificate is $164/night. (The best pre-paid rate is $202/night for the same dates.)

By the way, I don't think posting SPG50 rates here is at all the same as posting mistake rates/fares or unusually low air fares. I seriously doubt a hotel is going to adjust their rack rates based on what we post here. It does help to have a list of hotels, at least as a start, where SPG50 rates are better than online rates.
Old Jul 14, 2007, 5:33 am

Programs: DL PlatMM, BA and Alaska Emerald, HHonors DIA, Accor, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat Amb, UA Silver, AA
SE Asia SPG Hotels

I've used the SPG50 at some hotels in SE Asia, including:
LM Singapore: A suite for S$215/night, about the same as a regular room BAR and also cheaper than many other hotels for the same dates. Includes breakfast and drinks/snacks in lounge.

Westin Kuala Lumpur: Suite for RM500 per night (about $150). A basic room was going for RM435, room only. The suite includes 50% off internet, free breakfast, unlimited drinks and snacks in the evenings.

In addition, it's important to note that often, in terms of Rack Rates, the difference between a Standard Room and a Suite isn't that much--especially when they're 50% off. ALWAYS ASK WHAT THE SPG50 PRICE ON SUITES IS!
Suites almost always include breakfast, drinks, snacks, and Club Room access/check-in, so they're even more valuable. Plus, even though I'm Plat, it's nice to know ahead of time you don't have to sweat out an upgrade!
Old Jul 14, 2007, 8:18 am

Originally Posted by dc3
Has anyone been able to use an SPG50 award at the Starwood LeMeridien properties?
Yep, as I mentioned earlier in the thread, we used ours at Le Meridien Fisherman's Cove for a BIG savings with no problem.
Old Jul 15, 2007, 6:05 am

Programs: AmEx Centurion, SPG Platinum; LH Senator; Sixt Platinum; HHonors Gold
Last time I was able to save about 200 USD per night in Seattle. All hotels were booked out in the area, but I was able to get a nice room in Bellevue for 219. Lowest rate in the same hotel was 440.
Old Jul 15, 2007, 1:50 pm

Westin St. Maarten is $130 with SPG50. CHeapest rate is $199 and that is not alwys availale. $230 was avail, meaning $100 night savings for me.
Old Aug 5, 2007, 1:08 pm

The Sheraton Pretoria in Johannesburg -- got it for $86 with SPG50 instead of a best rate of $128 at the time. And currently when I search this hotel on spg.com I see nothing BUT rack rates.
Old Aug 5, 2007, 1:38 pm

Programs: SPG Plat; Hilton Silv; AA Plat; QF Gold;
Heading over to Auckland shortly to surprise my best mate who's been sent over there for work. Was able to snag the Pres. Suite @ Westin on an SPG50. Saving is around NZD$400 per night.

Not bad for a 1000 points!! Like a previous poster mentioned, always ask if suites are available on an SPG50.
Old Aug 7, 2007, 9:57 am

Programs: BA Gold, BD Gold, PC Ambassador, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by wallaby
I recently used it at the Westin in Sydney, savings averaged out to around $50 per night.
I've just been told by the Irish call centre that the Westin Sydney "doesn't accept the SPG50 rate plan"! They gave an alternative of the Sheraton at AUD275 which is admittedly cheaper than the AUD350 ish on the website at the moment. Anyone else had problems with hotels "not accepting" the SPG50 rate?
Old Aug 7, 2007, 10:25 am
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
Originally Posted by PhilH
I've just been told by the Irish call centre that the Westin Sydney "doesn't accept the SPG50 rate plan"! They gave an alternative of the Sheraton at AUD275 which is admittedly cheaper than the AUD350 ish on the website at the moment. Anyone else had problems with hotels "not accepting" the SPG50 rate?
Regrettably, you were either misinformed or misunderstood the message. The Westin Sydney does have the SPG50 rate plan in place. They probably just don't have it activated for the dates you want to stay.

But, there are hotels that participate in SPG that don't have the SPG50 rate plan and they are allowed not to as long as they don't sell any other 50% off rates.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders
Online Guest Feedback Coordinator
Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide

[email protected]
Old Aug 7, 2007, 11:12 am

Programs: BA Gold, BD Gold, PC Ambassador, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Starwood Lurker
Regrettably, you were either misinformed or misunderstood the message. The Westin Sydney does have the SPG50 rate plan in place. They probably just don't have it activated for the dates you want to stay.
Thanks William. Does that mean that they might activate it at a later date? I'm thinking about staying in March 2008, or are there effective "blackout" dates when the SPG50 is not valid?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.