Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Best Hotels to use the SPG50 (50% OFF Rack Rate Certificate)...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 28, 2015, 8:11 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: lcpteck
Terms and Conditions
  • 50% Off Award is subject to availability; advance reservations required. Callers must advise they are using a 50% Off Award and request Rate Plan ID: SPG50 when making reservations. The number and type of rooms offered may be limited and black-out dates may apply. 50% Off Award may not apply to suites at all hotels.
  • 50% Off Award is valid for a maximum of up to five consecutive nights at SPG50 participating hotels worldwide. Using the 50% Off Award for less than five nights, forfeits any unused nights, and the 50% Off Award is no longer valid for use in connection with any other stay.
  • Most, but not all, Starwood Preferred Guest participating hotels participate in the 50% Off Award. 50% Off Awards are NOT valid in Hawaii or at the Bahrain Sheraton Hotel.
  • At Sheraton Vacation Resorts and Westin Vacation Resorts, the 50% Off Award length of stay requirements may vary. Please call for specific requirements. However, only one certificate is required regardless of how many nights a guest is eligible to stay at Vacation Resorts.
  • 50% Off Award is valid on regular (RACK) room rates based upon availability of the SPG50 Rate Plan.
  • 50% Off Award may not be applied toward service charges, room tax, food and beverages, parking, gratuities, gift shop purchases, or other incidental charges and taxes.
  • Starwood Preferred Guest Members are eligible to receive Starpoints for the paid portion of the stay only. Starpoints cannot be earned on any paid portion of the SPG50 Rate Plan at Sheraton Vacation Resorts or Westin Vacation Resorts.
  • 50% Off Award reservations are commissionable to Travel Agents.
  • Standard Guarantee and Deposit Policy applies and varies by hotel.
  • 50% Off Award is not combinable with other room or rate promotional discounts or special programs, including Upgrade Certificates.
  • 50% off Award is good for only one room during the stay.
  • 50% Off Award has no cash value.
Print Wikipost

Best Hotels to use the SPG50 (50% OFF Rack Rate Certificate)...

Search this Thread

Old May 14, 2004, 1:16 pm

Programs: MP
Tips on using SPG50

I have one SPG50 certificate that I would like to use this summer. But first I would like to ask people who successfully used SPG50 in the past for tips/experiences.

I had one SPG50 certificate last year and initially I had problems making a reservation at promised 50% discount. I wanted to spend it on a Westin-Tremblant, but CSR told me that that particular property does not have any available nights in SPG50 programs. (I don't know what that means.) I tried to argue with her that on the back of the certificate it says "No blackout dates" but it did not work. Eventually I was able to use the certificate at a property in Nigara Falls, but that was not my first preference.

My question is, is there a list of properties that are excluded from SPG50 program? Also, about "No blackout" statement: can CSR refuse to make a reservation on a specific date even though there rooms available through the website? If yes, why? What are the ways to increase chances of sucessfully using SPG50 (preferably popular destination, on weekend)?

Last question, would SPG50 stays count toward *wood points accumulation?
Old May 14, 2004, 1:31 pm

Programs: SPG,HH,DL,CO,AMEX
v1rok - I've used the 50% off reward at Tremblant without any issues on several occassions. Did you make the reservation through Starwood's central reservations? If so, I would call the hotel directly and ask to speak with AnnMarie, the reservations manager. Here is the number 1-819-681-2000.

I have encountered a few issues with trying to book my Tremblant stays via Starwoods central reservations line and website. Often there seems to be some disconnect between this property and starwoods database (i.e. the hotel appears to be booked when its really not, booking award stays, etc...)

One word of advice.. look at the posted rates on the website for the days that you are staying. Sometimes the 50% off certificate is not that great of a deal because it is 50% off the rack rate and not the lowest published rate. BTW look at AAA rates at this property they seem to be the lowest.

Answer to last question. Yes, 50% off stays count.
Old May 15, 2004, 6:03 am

Originally Posted by v1rok

Last question, would SPG50 stays count toward *wood points accumulation?
Even though they definitely DO count don't be surprised if/when they don't post automatically. There have been several posts in recent months - including one started by me - where people have had to go thru the headache of calling in to *wood CSR's and battle for their deserved points. In my case the phone CSR told me point blank that SPG50's DID NOT earn points, only the intervention of one of the fill-in Lurkers enabled me to get my points.
Old Aug 18, 2004, 10:50 pm

Where to go to use SPG50?

I live in DTW, would like to do weekend getaway with wife using SPG50. Any suggestions within a four hour drive? Cinci? Chicago?
Old Aug 19, 2004, 3:54 pm
rkp

I have to agree with VolleyballFerd - SPG50's are pretty much useless in the states. You can almost always count on weekend escape rates or promotional rates to be better. Remember, the SPG50 rates only work on the RACK RATE, which I can't imagine anyone ever paying.

Some people swear great results with SPG50's in Asia but after traveling for 3 months across Asia, I am yet to find 1 starwood property that it ends up being cheaper at!
Old Aug 19, 2004, 4:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
Originally Posted by rkp
I have to agree with VolleyballFerd - SPG50's are pretty much useless in the states. You can almost always count on weekend escape rates or promotional rates to be better. Remember, the SPG50 rates only work on the RACK RATE, which I can't imagine anyone ever paying.

Some people swear great results with SPG50's in Asia but after traveling for 3 months across Asia, I am yet to find 1 starwood property that it ends up being cheaper at!
Be careful about overgeneralizing, though.

1. The one and only time I have used an SPG50 was in a US hotel. It was by far the best rate I could get, beating the cheapest rate otherwise available.

2. Sometimes the rack rate is the only rate left. And people will pay it if they have to (special event, or business travelers on expense account, etc.).

And to the OP: There are one or two threads on the SPG50 linked in the FAQ at the top of the SPG forum; also, a search using SPG50 as the search term will turn up more threads. Maybe there is some info there that would help.
Old Sep 12, 2004, 6:46 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Best *Wood in NYC to use SPG50 award to give me a rate of around $200-$250 a night?

Is it possible? I would prefer the West Side but if there is a great hotel on the East side I would take it....
Old Sep 12, 2004, 9:34 am
Original Member

Location: Highland PArk,IL,USA -- AA Lifetime Platinum, IHG Plat, UA Silver, Hilton Gold, Radisson Gold, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by david4455
Is it possible? I would prefer the West Side but if there is a great hotel on the East side I would take it....
I tried to use an SPG50 for Sheraton's NY towers and Manhattan without luck. I was able to get a room in the Westin Essex in the Park for $259. This was for 10/21-24. There were very limited rooms for sale on the 21st.
Old Sep 12, 2004, 11:03 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
It's definitely possible -- it just depends on the dates you want. I have had good luck using them. Try The Court or The Tuscany if you want a little more relaxed, neighborhood feel, or the W or Westin Times Square if you want. . . well, the Times Square environment. I've used SPG50's a few times in NY and saved myself in the range of $100 per night over the best available rate. They tend not to be as valuable on weekends. But on weekdays, when the rates is available, it's possible to save quite a bit.
Old Sep 12, 2004, 12:48 pm
SPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Lifetime Titanium, Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond , Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by AZ Travels the World
It's definitely possible -- it just depends on the dates you want. I have had good luck using them. Try The Court or The Tuscany if you want a little more relaxed, neighborhood feel, or the W or Westin Times Square if you want. . . well, the Times Square environment. I've used SPG50's a few times in NY and saved myself in the range of $100 per night over the best available rate. They tend not to be as valuable on weekends. But on weekdays, when the rates is available, it's possible to save quite a bit.
I agree AZ-- perhaps it's luck, or mojo, or? but I have frequently found value in the SPG50s. Yes, there are definitely times when a lower rate is available, but I've found many deals, including the W Union Square. Right now I have upcoming stays at the W Seattle & W San Diego using one.
Old Sep 12, 2004, 1:36 pm
Suspended

there are scads of threads on this topic already, but.....

i have only once successfully used an SPG50 certificate in the U.S. (at the W New Orleans, i believe).

but, i have had luck using them in europe. there are also reports that they are helpful in asia.

good luck.
Old Mar 19, 2005, 12:11 pm

Originally Posted by uvajonw
Anybody know any specific Hotels/Resorts where the 50% Off Rack Rate is better than the best available rates on spg.com???
I just got my amex card and the 50% off certificate. Found that most best rates are better than the 50% off rate with one exception.

I am a forever lover at caesar's cove haven. Midweek in early june we can get 30% off the best rate. However, we do not get it on weekends. I was able to use my 50% of certificate on a Saturday and get 50% their rack rate which saved my $125 off the best rate they would have given me.
Old Apr 14, 2005, 6:18 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, SPG LTP
I used an SPG 50 at Hacienda del Mar in Cabo about three years ago and got a great rate (ocean view for $145) that beat any other rate I could find. Haven't tried to use one since because of previously discussed issues RE: being able to find better rates without SPG50.

Just tried booking El Careyes using SPG50 (would beat best rate considerably) for July and was told there was no availability with the coupon. Anyone had success using SPG50 at El Careyes in the past?
Old Apr 15, 2005, 1:06 pm

Programs: SPG LT Plat, Hilton G,Priorty Club G, AC E
Gritti Palace...venice

...used cert to get a rate of 240E/night, cheapest I could find on all other rates was 395E, got a very nice U/G to a jr. suite on the canal..europe seems to be were this promo shines.
Old May 3, 2005, 3:50 pm

The cert. is capacity controlled at best, and not all properties allow it to be used at all. I almost used it once for a club level room at a the Diplomat in Hollywood Florida, but cancelled the res. and ended up at a different property. I've found it rare indeed that using this cert. works out to be the best rate, even when it is available, because the discount is based on rack rates.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.