Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Best Hotels to use the SPG50 (50% OFF Rack Rate Certificate)...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 28, 2015, 8:11 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: lcpteck
Terms and Conditions
  • 50% Off Award is subject to availability; advance reservations required. Callers must advise they are using a 50% Off Award and request Rate Plan ID: SPG50 when making reservations. The number and type of rooms offered may be limited and black-out dates may apply. 50% Off Award may not apply to suites at all hotels.
  • 50% Off Award is valid for a maximum of up to five consecutive nights at SPG50 participating hotels worldwide. Using the 50% Off Award for less than five nights, forfeits any unused nights, and the 50% Off Award is no longer valid for use in connection with any other stay.
  • Most, but not all, Starwood Preferred Guest participating hotels participate in the 50% Off Award. 50% Off Awards are NOT valid in Hawaii or at the Bahrain Sheraton Hotel.
  • At Sheraton Vacation Resorts and Westin Vacation Resorts, the 50% Off Award length of stay requirements may vary. Please call for specific requirements. However, only one certificate is required regardless of how many nights a guest is eligible to stay at Vacation Resorts.
  • 50% Off Award is valid on regular (RACK) room rates based upon availability of the SPG50 Rate Plan.
  • 50% Off Award may not be applied toward service charges, room tax, food and beverages, parking, gratuities, gift shop purchases, or other incidental charges and taxes.
  • Starwood Preferred Guest Members are eligible to receive Starpoints for the paid portion of the stay only. Starpoints cannot be earned on any paid portion of the SPG50 Rate Plan at Sheraton Vacation Resorts or Westin Vacation Resorts.
  • 50% Off Award reservations are commissionable to Travel Agents.
  • Standard Guarantee and Deposit Policy applies and varies by hotel.
  • 50% Off Award is not combinable with other room or rate promotional discounts or special programs, including Upgrade Certificates.
  • 50% off Award is good for only one room during the stay.
  • 50% Off Award has no cash value.
Print Wikipost

Best Hotels to use the SPG50 (50% OFF Rack Rate Certificate)...

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5, 2010, 7:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by seanthepilot
Funny. I love the SPG50.

I sure hope you're not lobbying for this part of the SPG Program, that I frequently benefit from, to be shelved?

If you don't like it fine. But there's no need to mess it up for the rest of us!

Oh yeah, instead of just more off topic ramblings, here's a contribution.

I saved $40/night using this rate at the Newark Sheraton not long ago.
If you don't mind me asking, what did you pay for that night?
Old Mar 5, 2010, 8:03 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
The one thing that makes the SPG50 useless to me is the fact that you can't search for rates online. It seems to be it would be trivial to support it, but for some reason, Starwood wants to make it as hard as possible for people to find out the rates and use the certificates.
Old Mar 8, 2010, 12:46 am

Originally Posted by chicagodubs
Can you sell the spg50 coupons anywhere?
I wouldn't advise it.
Old Mar 8, 2010, 6:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gregorygrady
I wouldn't advise it.
If you have enough posts (how many is it?), you can try to trade it in the coupon connection forum.

Is there any trading market for these? Hard to believe there's much demand, but like anything else, if it fits your travel pattern maybe you'd want to trade for one.
Old Mar 8, 2010, 8:20 am
Community Director Emerita

I see a lot of folks gift them in Coupon Connection.
Old Mar 8, 2010, 9:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
I see a lot of folks gift them in Coupon Connection.
Right, which suggests what they're worth.
Old Mar 8, 2010, 1:58 pm

Programs: AA 2.2MM LT Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott/SPG Platinum
Plus you can get one for 1000 Starpoints direct from SPG.
Old Mar 8, 2010, 6:13 pm
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starw...ann-arbor.html
Old Mar 9, 2010, 12:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by DownUnderFlyer
wow....

i recently booked a villa for my sister & her friends using spg50 at the sheraton grande laguna phuket....i saved about $135 per night....
Old Mar 10, 2010, 10:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
spg 50 is saving me $50 for an upcoming stay at the westin macau....i've booked the stay but am now considering if its worth 1k points....its only a 1 night stay....
Old Mar 13, 2010, 8:23 am

Originally Posted by saad
spg 50 is saving me $50 for an upcoming stay at the westin macau....i've booked the stay but am now considering if its worth 1k points....its only a 1 night stay....
If you don't think 1k SPG pts is worth $50, why don't you just buy 1k pts directly from SPG for $35? You'll be ahead by $15 in the end. It seems like a no-brainer to me............
Old Mar 13, 2010, 10:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If you don't think 1k SPG pts is worth $50, why don't you just buy 1k pts directly from SPG for $35? You'll be ahead by $15 in the end. It seems like a no-brainer to me............
i don't think you understood my post....i have enough points so i don't need to buy any more....i normally use the spg50 for a 2-3 night stay when it ends up saving me about $50 a night....over here its only a 1 night stay where i am saving a little under $50 for the stay....so wasn't sure if it was a good use of points....
Old Mar 13, 2010, 10:11 am

And my point is that of course it's a good use of 1k pts if you can buy the pts at retail price for $35 and save $50 off the stay. The length of stay is irrelevant. If you can get more than ~$25 value from the SPG50, IMHO it's worth blowing 1k SPG pts for. ^
Old Mar 13, 2010, 11:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

And my point is that of course it's a good use of 1k pts if you can buy the pts at retail price for $35 and save $50 off the stay. The length of stay is irrelevant. If you can get more than ~$25 value from the SPG50, IMHO it's worth blowing 1k SPG pts for. ^
Exactly.
If you can get more than $35 of value it is a good deal regardless of the number of points in your account/the need for points (exception: you have reached the yearly SPG point purchase limit).
Old Mar 13, 2010, 1:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by soitgoes
Exactly.
If you can get more than $35 of value it is a good deal regardless of the number of points in your account/the need for points (exception: you have reached the yearly SPG point purchase limit).
maybe you guys are right....i'm going to let the reservation stay for now & see if the room rate comes down closer to my stay....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.