Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Hotel Pulitzer, Amsterdam 1999 - 2007 [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hotel Pulitzer, Amsterdam 1999 - 2007 [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2004, 1:21 am

Programs: HYATT-Nothingness; Starwood-Nothingness; AA-Nothingness
Does anyone know if this hotel has a healthclub or sauna, etc? Or, one nearby? I am staying at the airport one too and I know they have one.
Old Feb 26, 2004, 9:15 am

No health club, no sauna.
Old Feb 29, 2004, 10:08 pm

Programs: UA MM, AA PP
Just back from a MR to AMS. What a fun weekend trip!

Stayed 1st night at the Pulitzer. 195 E (pre pay internet). I am *wood zilch (waiting for Hyatt Diamond Status match) so didn't expect much. Well, technically I reserved a room over the phone w/4 pm same day cancel for 205E. I showed up at 10:30 and asked to see a room. I was shown two 'deluxe" rooms #237 & another. Fairly big for Europe but w/courtyard views. Got enough of that view in my apt., so I checked my bags and said I'd come back when something else opened up. Padded around town, came back at 2:30, was shown two other rooms, a deluxe (#180) canal view & an exec (for an extra 25E inc break). I opted for #180 but nipped into the business center to craftily make my "pre pay internet" rez for 10E less. Hence I then had two rez but could cancel the more expensive one. The front desk guy Duncan laughed but was OK with it.

#180 was smaller than the first two rooms. Nicely done & very clean bathroom (important to me!). Furnishings OK. Could feel the springs in the mattress (needs featherbed big time). Asked for a blanket which never came. Room on ground floor so kind of noisy at night when people walked by outside talking -- woke up at 1 and couldn't fall asleep (you all know how that is). Should have brought earplugs. Nice to see it snowing in the morning over the canal. If there were 2 people, I'd have opted for the Exec room for 25 E more including breakfast. The deluxe rooms (lowest room category) on the Prinze canal side are bigger. Every room is different so ask to see a selection when you check in.

The front desk staff was very nice. Especially Duncan who is the best person I've had in ages at any hotel/city/chain. He let me slide on the 4 pm late checkout.

And, as mentioned earlier in another related thread, take the 33E canal boat tour on the hotel's boat. The captain gives a great 1 1/2 hour tour. Amsterdam made sense after the ride. Do it the first night (5 pm). The concierge staff (headed by Robin) are very amiable. Buy your Van Gogh tix here and avoid the lines. Restaurant bar extra smoky. Had to take shower after eating quick meal. Would go back to the Pulitzer for sure, but hopefully at a more "special rate".

BTW, the bellman said they hadn't had a lot of Americans staying there for a while. He thinks the Euro/Dollar x-rate is the main problem.

That said, to offset my pricey Fri night stay, I checked into the airport Sheraton for Sat night. 125E pre pay. 15 min train ride and a world away from the Pulitzer. In a word: "Serviceable". And believe it or not, same 10,000 * wood points/free night for both properties!? Do NOT waste your money on the Club floor. Major weirdness in the health facility: in the workout area, a huge lifesize photo of a naked woman, from the thighs up. Side view up until the chest where she is turned so you can see her breasts while you work out. Just what a girl needs in the morning (not me anyways!) So I skipped the gym. The pool is small and not heated - just lukewarm/cold. (Maybe that is heated in Europe). On a happier note, there is a Ben & Jerry's outlet in the lobby. Had a roll from the train station grocery store for breakfast so there are lots of non-hotel breakfast options nearby.

If I had $$ I would have stayed 2 nights at Pulitzer. So that, coupled with a stupid quest for Plat w/multi stays (in case the status match falls through), made me stay at the airport. Would not stay at the airport more than one night (or 12 hours). Decor is weird and manly. Red felt wall anyone? Plaid curtain? Black and/or brown furniture.

I have to put in one complaint about both hotels. PET PEEVE: crappy hairdryers. Small ones bolted to the desk drawer (Pulitzer) or bathroom wall (airport) where you have to hold the button on the whole time. Not everyone has short hair that dries in 1 minute! I'll be schlepping my own hairdryer next time. That & my laptop. 8E for 15 min @ both hotels is pure internet highway robbery.

Well, that's two lengthy posts for the night! Hope this helps someone looking at *woods in AMS. I dickered around researching properties from all the chains. Came across most of them while I was wandering around town. I have to say that I did not find any hotel I'd rather have stayed at besides the Pulitzer (though I did not see Blakes or the Intercontinental) so very happy submit this positive report.
Old Feb 29, 2004, 10:28 pm

Programs: HYATT-Nothingness; Starwood-Nothingness; AA-Nothingness
Hi Suzy - Thanks for the detailed report -- I am staying there next week and got a good rate thanks to the BRG. I am also staying at the airport location for 1 nite because of an early morning flight back to the US. How did you get that discounted rate? The best that I could find is close to $300US and that was from SPG.com. I am thinking of just cancelling that and trying to make it from the Pulitzer into Schipol earlier (or, just spend a whole night out clubbing!)
Old Mar 1, 2004, 5:51 am

Programs: AA Platinum, SPG Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Platinum HH Gold
I am staying there at the end of the month and looking forward to it. Have always wanted to stay here.

I got the e195 rate as well. But as a gold, am hoping for a high floor canal view :-) If anyone knows special tricks to get good rooms as a gold, they would be appreciated :-)

Thanks all for posting this info and tidbits . . and going to go for the e33 tour this time as well :-)

------------------
CO Gold, US Gold, SPG Gold, MR Silver
Old Mar 1, 2004, 6:17 am
Suspended

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by suzy1K:
I opted for #180 but nipped into the business center to craftily make my "pre pay internet" rez for 10E less.</font>
how much did you pay to use the business center?
Old Mar 1, 2004, 7:36 am

Stayed at the Pulitzer a week ago. Found it to be a very nice hotel--friendly staff, quirky rooms, seemingly good area of town.

The room was quite nice (221) though the bathroom was a little small. It overlooked an interior courtyard which was pretty. It was quiet (due to NOT being on the canal).

It was a little pricey, though, and was charged 20E for using the business center. Would stay there again, but only if I got a much better rate.
Old Mar 1, 2004, 4:59 pm

stayed there two weeks ago, got upgraded to the fabled room 105 on a points stay, was an excellent hotel and i have no complaints.
Old Mar 1, 2004, 5:36 pm
Suspended

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by lostInspace:
stayed there two weeks ago, got upgraded to the fabled room 105 on a points stay, was an excellent hotel and i have no complaints.</font>
what makes it "fabled?"
Old Mar 1, 2004, 6:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">what makes it "fabled?"</font>
Perhaps my post in this old thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/pasttalk/ft...ML/006808.html

...along with other 105 posts by others?
Old Mar 1, 2004, 6:42 pm

Programs: United MM- Marriott Titanium - Air France/KLM Flying Blue Platinum
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by fly co to see the yanks:
what makes it "fabled?"</font>
Fly co the see the yanks ; USE THE SEARCH BUTTOM !!
Old Mar 1, 2004, 8:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Currently in Bloomington, IN, but Normally NYC, CDG, and even POZ or wherever FT takes me.
Programs: Northwest Airlines. MTA pay-per-ride Metrocard; zero-balance Oyster card.
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by couscous:
Fly co the see the yanks ; USE THE SEARCH BUTTOM !! </font>
Oh-oh: BUTTOM? Fly Co won't let that one slide...
Old Mar 1, 2004, 10:13 pm

had a great stay here last summer. here's a link to my comments on the hotel. it also has a couple of photos of a room there.

http://www.hotelscoop.com/hotelDetai...p?Hotelid=6101
Old Mar 2, 2004, 7:24 am
Suspended

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by couscous:
Fly co the see the yanks ; USE THE SEARCH BUTTOM !! </font>
i have no idea what a search buttom is. when you explain, i will consider it.
Old Mar 2, 2004, 7:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
I stayed at the Pulitzer last year and was 'upgraded' to a canal room. It was the smallest room I have ever been in since leaving Uni 10 years ago - so small it didn't even have a bath. See my review at tripadvisor.com

Here's what I am planning for my next weekend in A/dam. The Intercon Amstel is a very, very high quality boutique hotel - nothing like your normal Intercon. My plan is to join the Intercon Ambassador programme ($150) for the free weekend night certificate. The Amstel is Euro 450 for a large river view room per night, but your voucher gets you the second night for free, which brings the average rate down to a manageable level. I would far prefer to do this than risk the Pulitzer again.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.