Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Hotel Pulitzer, Amsterdam 1999 - 2007 [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hotel Pulitzer, Amsterdam 1999 - 2007 [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7, 2002, 6:56 pm

Programs: LH SEN, IHG Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Gold
I stayed at the Pulitzer at the end of July on an Amex 2-for-1 with my family. We had a great time and the staff were great. We had a problem with the air-con and it was dealt with promptly.

Due to the way it is built I can imagine that it is not everyone's cup of tea. But, as far as the staff were concerned, from the front desk to the housekeeping staff...no complaints at all.
Old Sep 9, 2002, 11:51 am

I stay at the Pulitzer fairly frequently (4+ times a year.) I think a big issue for most American travellers anyway is the Dutch idea of service. Not to bash the Dutch -- I love them and their country, but you're never going to get the check in the hotel restaurant unless you ask and you're never going to get anything more than the basic amenities unless you are assertive. Every time I go there, I readjust my expectations.
Old Sep 9, 2002, 12:34 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, HHonors Gold, Skymiles Gold, Staralliance Gold
I was at the Pulitzer this June (in a free weekend), and I liked very much both the hotel and the staff. We had no problem at all (except with the key that didn't work..maybe they have some problem with the magnetic keys). Bathroom was small (although much larger than at the W The Court!), but room was nice and comfortable, and staff was ok for me.
Old Sep 9, 2002, 1:57 pm

Programs: Starwood Platinum, AA 2 mm EXP, Citibank Platinum...
dthernandez

I totally agree with your notion of "Dutch service" to the point where it's an oxymoron - one of those things like "jumbo shrimp" or "military intelligence" that, on it's face, just cannot be.

And, up to a point, I can agree. A Dutch woman we dined with one night told me of her horror, in the States, of getting the check with her dessert. We turn over the tables too quickly in the US; the notion is unheard-of in Holland. I did observe, more than once (and whilst dining at Dantzig, the restaraunt at the Opera House,)that it would be impossible to go to dinner and a show on the same night.

But 15 minutes, day after day, to get a second pot of coffee at breakfast is ridiculous, particularly when it's otherwise a buffet with NOTHING else for the staff to put on the table besides fresh silver and napkins. Any deluxe hotel geared to an international clientele has to offer service it's guests expect: not what may, or may not, match quaint Dutch custom. If we'd wanted a uniquely Dutch experience, for good or ill, we would not have stayed at a Starwood (or Hilton, or Radisson or Marriott) property. One stays at an international chain in the expectation of a uniform (and in the case of a sub-brand that bills itself as "The Luxury Collection," a superior) experience.

It was, for us, a question of "hardware" - a great big beautiful suite in a great location - being undone by the software: systems and people not designed, trained, supervised or empowered to deliver the expected results. It wasn't the end of the world - the sun shined, we found our way around, the cheese tasted good, my pictures came out well - but it was less than it could have been and was annoying and from the comments here, it'd seem that ours was not an isolated experience at this property.

I hope by virtue of some of these comments it will improve.

Old Sep 9, 2002, 7:11 pm

Programs: LH SEN, IHG Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Bostom:
dthernandez

Any deluxe hotel geared to an international clientele has to offer service it's guests expect: not what may, or may not, match quaint Dutch custom. If we'd wanted a uniquely Dutch experience, for good or ill, we would not have stayed at a Starwood (or Hilton, or Radisson or Marriott) property. One stays at an international chain in the expectation of a uniform (and in the case of a sub-brand that bills itself as "The Luxury Collection," a superior) experience.
</font>
I am of a quite different opinion and that is that I look forward to the differences in culture when staying in a hotel, even in a deluxe class hotel. It's what makes travelling interesting. I dread the idea of uniformity and common standards throughout the world. Even more so if you expect those standards to be North American ones, because IMHO North America has one of the largest deficits when it comes to service in the travel industry.

As for getting the check with the coffee, that's tacky. When I am ready to leave I will ask for it. I do not need to be hurried.
Old Sep 9, 2002, 7:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
What is wrong with not getting the check until you ask? That seems to be the custom in most countries, and frankly, its nice. The only time I can recall being "hurried" out of a restaurant in Europe was last January, because the restaurant was closing, and our lunch was 3 hours over a bottle of wine. And they were apologetic at that. Local custom vs. "bad" service are 2 different things. Back to the hotel in question, I found it to be a decent, albeit not exceptional property.

And really, in the big picture, you weren't forced to spend $600 a day on food for 2. Remember, we now have a new standard over here at SPG for what really sucks!
Old Dec 7, 2002, 11:52 am

Programs: LH Sen // HH Dia; Bonvoy LTTE
Some pictures from a stay in Amsterdam. The Pulitzer treated me very well: I loved the stay and the atmosphere very much. I got a (smallish) canal-view room in the Pulitzer. Breakfast is quite expensive (as usual in Europe) - I liked the food very much. The Platinum amenity consisted of fruits and a bottle of Chilean wine. There was also a room amenity (water, waffles).

Sheraton Hotel Pulitzer
Old Dec 7, 2002, 4:22 pm
prh

Programs: AA Platinum Plus; One World Emerald
I stayed at the Pulitzer for five nights in May and had a wonderful time. I will say that rooms seem to vary considerably. I arrived at 8 a.m. and was ushered to a very dark room with something of a garden room. I asked if anything else was available and was told if I was willing to wait, I could have a room with a canal view (although I was warned it could be noisy). I took a long walk, had lunch and was then ushered to a very nice room that really wasn't very noisy.
Old Dec 24, 2002, 8:01 am

Programs: UA-Platimum 2 MM, HH-Gold, MR-Lifetime Gold, Hyatt-Discoverist
Free Breakfast at Pulitzer in AMS?

(Excuse me if this has been answered, but I just did a seach and couldn't find anything.)
I've got an upcoming stay at the LC Pulitzer in AMS (this Sat). My rate choice was 180 internet or 195 incl breakfast. My question is as a Platinum, will I be offered complimentary breakfast or should I go for the higher rate just to be sure? Not a big deal either way, but wasn't sure if the LC collection offered the breakfast.
Old Dec 24, 2002, 9:46 am

Programs: Now UA free!, AA Ex Plat, AS MVP, Marriott Titanium for life
This is a great hotel... just booked another stay there for March.

You have a great rate... I would go for the breakfast... none was included for me, but had a wonderful large buffet, cost 25 Euro.

As a plat, I had a nice welcome basket with wine in a Very large room, with a great bathroom with heated floors. Bedroom had hardwood and a king bed.
Old Dec 24, 2002, 9:48 am

Programs: UA Global Services, AA Lifetime ExecPlat, LH HON Circle, SQ PPS Solitaire, Hyatt Courtesy Card
We did not get free breakfast as platinum, about 1 year ago.
Old Dec 24, 2002, 2:36 pm
prh

Programs: AA Platinum Plus; One World Emerald
I can't speak to the chances of getting a complementary breakfast -- I didn't, but I'm only Gold. The hotel, however, is lovely and the breakfast worth the extra Euros you mentioned. Btw, be picky about the rooms. Some are nicer than others and some of the nicer rooms imho are the smaller ones. You should be thinking about whether you value quiet or whether you want to be able to look out on a canal.
Old Dec 29, 2002, 3:21 pm

Programs: UA-Platimum 2 MM, HH-Gold, MR-Lifetime Gold, Hyatt-Discoverist
Just returned from my stay at the Pulitzer and while no, I didn't get a free breakfast (and I had no intention of paying 23e for it)-- I did receive a wonderful 'executive room' on the top floor which was actually a duplex suite! I also received a basket of fruit, bottle of wine, dutch waffles and a letter from management explaining that they couldn't give me a suite because they only had 2, (but my room did contain a separate bedroom, living room, hall and an upstairs study overlooking the living area). They also offered me a complimentary 'beverage' in their bar, and the WSJ. As I had come down with a cold, I couldn't partake of the beverages, but it was very nice treatment. Especially since I didn't ask for any upgrade at check in, just hoped for the best.

PS- if I can figure out how to attach photos here, I'll send some pics!
Old Jan 4, 2003, 4:48 pm

Apologies for bringing up an old thread, but I'm hoping someone can offer tips on securing a nice canal-view room at the Pulitzer. I have a stay coming up on 1/18 using Points Redemption, but unfortunately I have no upper-echelon status with Starwood. My reservation details currently shows me in a "Deluxe Non-Smoking Room," but I was wondering if any other rooms give me a better chance of a desirable room (any room configuration is ok with me). I notice there are "Executive Deluxe" rooms as well, but I'm not sure if I can book these with a Points Redemption. Any advice out there?

thanks!
Old Jan 4, 2003, 6:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Earned status with AA, DL, SPG, HH, Hyatt, Marriott, Seabourn, NCL, National, Hertz...I miss my bed!
I'm curious about this property as well.

I'm actually also arriving in AMS on 1/18 but I'm currently booked at the Inter-Continental instead of the Sheraton.

For anyone who is familiar with both properties - is this a wise choice? I've got a SCC voucher for one of my I-C nights so it ends up being about the same (or maybe less) than the Pulitzer.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.