Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Hotel Pulitzer, Amsterdam 1999 - 2007 [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hotel Pulitzer, Amsterdam 1999 - 2007 [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old May 3, 2001, 11:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Perhaps people who don't travel much prefer the secure nature of a chain hotel. But again, us frequent flyers stay at chains for the perks. I know all about the non-chain hotels in most cities around the world. They can be very charming, but I'm rewarded better for sticking with chains. And some of the chain hotels can be very, very nice.
Old May 4, 2001, 10:50 am
Original Member

I have stayed at the Pulitzer a number of times, most recently last month, so I can add a few comments. The standards of the hotel, in terms of lobby and rooms, are significantly below all Luxury Collection properties that I am familiar with (I just returned from the Sheraton Imperial in Kuala Lumpur - beautiful!). But on my last two stays, I was nicely treated (as a Platinum) on each occasion with a full bottle of wine, a gift box of the stroopwaffels, and a gift of Delft-like replicas of wooden shoes filled with candies. It is possible that nicer suites are available than what appeared to be the standard ("Executive") room that I received, but the standard room was quite ordinary. Perhaps the main attribute of the hotel is the unique way that it has been assembled.
Old May 7, 2001, 12:38 pm
Original Member

I'm at the Pulitzer right now and am seething mad -- I've just been knocked for about fl 50,- worth of local phone charges. But the fl 2,10 or so per local phone call price is not posted anywhere (!!) -- not next to the phone, not in the guidebook, not on the television info-system, even though international rates (e.g. fl 8,50 for dialing an 800-number) are found many times.

The guy at the front desk's response was something to the effect of "ha! you [dumb] american.. you thought local calls were free? you're in europe now!" To which I should reply that the previous day in a B&B my _actual_ cost for local phone calls was fl 2. How naive of me to assume a hotel which drones on and on about its luxury and opulence and charges fl 800 for a standard room might absorb those charges..

I've also been socked with a fl 100 charge for an extra bed, not because I wanted one but apparently because any time there are three people in room they charge you extra.. the person who checked me only added the charge after she noticed a third person standing around (?!)

Of course I will not stay at the Pulitzer again, and I think I am going to start avoiding Luxury Collection properties -- they seem to have more attitude than luxury. I called Starwood Corporate Services but don't expect much in the way of a response (last time nothing happened.. but the manager of the Westin Long Beach was sympathetic, and that was what I was looking for, in any case.)
Old Oct 9, 2001, 9:35 am

Programs: KLM Platinum, BA Gold, ex-HHonors Diamond, Starwood SPG Gold (ex-Platinum), StarChoice
Sheraton Hotel Pulitzer, Amsterdam

I'll be off to try the Sheraton Hotel Pulitzer in a few weeks. It seems FT experiences has varied wildly even just the last year or two:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum74/HTML/001569.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum74/HTML/001085.html

Does anyone have any recent experiences or advice to share? Thanks!

PS! I'm Starwood Platinum & have spesifically requested a canal view upgrade after tips in above threads
Old Oct 9, 2001, 1:23 pm
Suspended

Programs: British Airways Gold (oneWorld Emerald), Starwood Preferred Guest Platinum
I'd also be very interested in this! I might be going there as early as next week!
Old Oct 9, 2001, 2:36 pm

I stayed at the Pulitzer last weekend on a free weekend.

We had an "ok" stay (the Westin Dublin where I had my other free weekend was 100% better). OK for free but, having visited Amsterdam lots of times, there are better 3* hotels in my opinion than the Pulitzer.

The room is not that large. The staff are surly. We had no "Do not disturb" in the room and very keen cleaners who will want to clean as early as they can. We tried leaving a note the second day but it was ignored.

As Starwood Gold I got 4pm late checkout but they deactivated my room card so that we couldn't get in after 12 noon!!

The staff were uninterested in any comment - the staff in Dublin had positively encouraged our comments.

This is a hotel that rests on its laurels (and Conference Bookings) and doesn't really give a (Amster)dam!

Stephen

Old Oct 10, 2001, 4:08 am

Programs: KLM Platinum, BA Gold, ex-HHonors Diamond, Starwood SPG Gold (ex-Platinum), StarChoice
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by sjharte:
having visited Amsterdam lots of times, there are better 3* hotels in my opinion than the Pulitzer.</font>
... this is not good news for a Luxury Collection property...

I'll report my experiences when I'm back!
Old Oct 10, 2001, 5:06 am

I don't know what you have to fear. The Michelin Red Book rates it as top class comfort which is the highest four star rating in a five star rating system. The restaurant is also rated top class comfort.

In my experience, the Red Book is infallible and when they say top class comfort it's a very nice hotel.
Old Oct 10, 2001, 7:49 am

Location: DL: PM/2M; UA: 1K; AA: Plat/2MM; SQ: PPS; US: Plat; Starwood: Plat; Hilton: Diam Hyatt: Diam; Loews Plat; Avis: Chair.
I was upgraded to a bi-level suite along the canal. The service was good, the staff attentive and cognizant of my status upon check-in. Food was good too.

Not a typical Luxury Collection property though. It could have used a little sprucing up. But not nearly bad enough to not recommend it.
Old Oct 10, 2001, 8:47 am
SMF

Programs: DL MM/PM, SPG Lifetime Gold, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond
I thoroughly enjoyed my stay at the Pulitzer in June. The staff was great and when I didn't like my first room they moved me to a nice canal room (which was actually the same room I had stayed in 5 years earlier on my last visit there).

The Pulitzer is definitely a different type of hotel - every room is unique since it is made up of converted canal houses. Be pleasant and ready to ask for a different room that's more to your liking.
Old Oct 22, 2001, 9:02 am

Just back from a free weekend at the Pulitzer.

Smooth check-in, got nice executive room with canal view but not a suite or the two-floor room mentioned in another FT thread that I had secretly hoped for.

However, room was very nicely decorated - very cool mix of old and new style items throughout the hotel.

Attentive & friendly staff, I was proactively referred to the concierge when I mentioned the Van Gogh museum as part of the weekend's plans (the concierge sells tickets -- allows you to bypass the line outside the museum).

On request, I was granted late checkout to 4pm on Sunday, but I requested 5pm and was asked for a NLG 50 fee. I declined and checked out around 2pm and stored my luggage at the hotel instead.

Overall good value for the free weekend Will probably return for subsequent reward stays.

Info for the really interested:

Amenity: bottle of wine, bottle of Evian, fruit basket and box of chocolates plus a certificate for a free drink in the bar.

Bathroom items: Hermes and generic Luxury collection stuff.
Old Nov 26, 2001, 8:47 am

Just back from a another weekend at the Pulitzer, using Choicepoints this time.

Smooth check-in, got a suite with canal view. Very nice, including living room and even a little kitchenette.

On request, I was again granted late checkout to 4pm on Sunday.

Amenity: bottle of red wine, bottle of Evian (replenished daily), fruit basket and a certificate for a free drink in the bar.

Bathroom items: No Hermes stuff this time, but all the generic Luxury collection bottles.
Old Mar 18, 2002, 6:44 pm

Programs: NW Gold/SPG Plat/Hilton Gold
Sheraton Hotel Pullitzer-Amsterdam, NL

Could anyone please relate any recent experiences...upgrades, receognition of status etc.

What is the breakfast buffet like?

How deos it compare to the Crowne Plaza Downtown? Other Luxury Collection properties

Also, are the standard rooms large enough to hold a rollaway bed?

Thanks for your replies.
Old Mar 18, 2002, 7:29 pm

In my last three stays I have received very generous Platinum amenities (such as on my last visit: a full bottle of wine, a box of delicious Dutch wafer cookies, miniature Delft shoes, and a box of apricots) but no suite upgrades. On one of these three stays I was given complimentary breakfast (a very nice buffet). Perhaps this had to do with the room rate that I booked. The comparison with other Luxury Collection properties is problematic. It is less luxurious than most, but has a singular character different from any other hotel. I would certainly return.
Old Mar 18, 2002, 7:32 pm

I forgot to address two other questions that you raised. Since the rooms are each different, and not cut out of the same mold as at most other properties, you may need to request a room that will hold a roll-away. Upon reflection, I would think that 2 of the 3 rooms that I had would allow for a roll-away. I stayed at the Crowne Plaza many years ago, but would definitely rank the Pulitzer higher. The location of the Pulitzer is also much better, as the Crowne Plaza is close to the train station and in a marginally sleazy area.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.