Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Hotel Pulitzer, Amsterdam 1999 - 2007 [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hotel Pulitzer, Amsterdam 1999 - 2007 [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22, 2002, 1:31 am

Programs: AA ExPlat, 1MM; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold
I'll admit, I'm a little nuts! But taking what I can get at a *Wood property is better than settling for a Marriott any day! Plus, to be honest...the thought of saving 400+ Euros by taking advantage of the Amex 2-4-1 is worth it to me, at least on this trip.

I'll just look at it as an adventure! But who knows, I might get lucky...I'll keep checking online to see if an Executive King opens up under the Amex bonus.
Old Jun 22, 2002, 6:59 am

I don't think that you realize just how small some of those rooms can be.
Old Jun 22, 2002, 12:29 pm

Okay, IM4Travel...you convinced me

I shelled out the extra 170 Euros a night for an Executive suite, still with the Amex 2-4-1. I shouldn't have any worries about space now.

It just means now that my AMS "coffeeshop" budget is a little less!
Old Jun 22, 2002, 1:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by WNLuvr:

I'll just look at it as an adventure! But who knows, I might get lucky....
</font>

I won't even TOUCH that one - "I might get lucky" - 3 in a King bed in a small room. Seriously, those rooms are very small.
Old Jun 22, 2002, 2:03 pm

Oh my, Eastbay! I know Amsterdam is known for being a little wild, but that interpretation hadn't even crossed my mind!

Anyone know of any good restaurants near the Pulitzer? I checked over on the FlyerTalk Dining board, but that place seems like a ghost town.
Old Jun 22, 2002, 2:03 pm

Stayed there a week ago for one night. This place is nothing to write home about. Calling it a member of the Luxury Collection is a strech by anyone's standards. The hotel is like a maze which is a pain in the a_ss. If you're looking for a luxury hotel, try the Amstel or the Okura. At some point the SPG points are just not worth it...
Old Jun 29, 2002, 7:45 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, HHonors Gold, Skymiles Gold, Staralliance Gold
Amsterdam Pulitzer - How to get there ?

Hi all. I'm having one of my free weekends at the AMS Pulitzer next week, and I'd like to know what would be the best way to get there from the airport. Has the hotel any kind of pick-up service? at what cost?
How much could be a taxi from the airport?
How comfortable would be taking the train and a taxi afterwards?

I'm Gold. Do you think I can expect a nice room for a free weekend there? Is there anything in particular I should ask for?
Old Jun 29, 2002, 8:05 pm

Just returned from a three-day stay at the Amsterdam Pulitzer.

We took the Thalys train in from Paris, which also makes a stop at AMS Schipol airport. About a 10-15 min. ride from AMS to Centraal Station. From there it's a quick 5-10 minute taxi (9 Euros) to the hotel. Can't comment on shuttle service from AMS directly to the Pulitzer.

Unfortunately I wouldn't hold your breath for a Gold upgrade. An upgrade to a nicer standard room isn't saying much here. Rooms are tiny!! Because we had 3 travellers, I shelled out $$ for a junior suite, which still only slept 2. Luckily they didn't charge for the rollaway (even though service guide stated a 45 Euro charge). It did feature a neat, yet non-functional, loft with a small writing desk.

Don't expect luxury by any means at the Pulitzer. What you will get is a memorable and unique hotel stay like none other. Sometimes it's nice to get away from the rectangular business rooms for something different.

BTW, we took the dinner canal cruise on the Holland International boat and I would highly recommend it. Costs 70 Euros each, and can be booked by the Pulitzer concierge. However, one of the in-room guidebooks has an offer for 50% off second person if you call them directly.

Enjoy AMS! Rent a bike and travel the city like the Dutch do. It's fun!

WNLuvr

Old Jun 29, 2002, 9:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
The train from the airport to the Central station is the way to go. If you only have shoulder bags, I would walk to the Pulitzer and see the sights. Otherwise there are plenty of taxis outside the station. Or you could take the tram. Ask at the station for the right tram or call the hotel concierge.
Old Jun 30, 2002, 7:48 am
Suspended

train and then taxi or walk.
Old Jun 30, 2002, 8:45 am

Programs: UA-Platimum 2 MM, HH-Gold, MR-Lifetime Gold, Hyatt-Discoverist
There is a Airport shuttle bus that leaves you off at Westkirk (sp) which is then only a 2 block walk along the canal to the hotel.
Or do as others suggest and take the train to Centraal Station and grab a taxi or walk if you don't have much luggage.
As others have stated it is a nice, different hotel--but do not expect 'luxury'. It is made from a number of row/town homes joined together so most rooms are unique. Ask for a canal view room, but make sure it is on a top floor--as the noise from outside can be quite loud through the evening.
Old Jun 30, 2002, 11:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
I second (or 3d or 4th) the train to Centraal Station and then a cab or walk, depending on weather and amount of luggage (if its not on wheels or something you carry on your back, the walk is too far for luggage). If you are completely unfamiliar with Amsterdam, a cab may be your best bet upon arrival. Although I was "treated well" as an SPG plat (nice amenities, upgraded room to something I could fit my luggage in), I wouldn't stay there again unless the night was free or substantially discounted, given the location, typical rates, and room size.
Old Jun 30, 2002, 4:27 pm

Location: DL: PM/2M; UA: 1K; AA: Plat/2MM; SQ: PPS; US: Plat; Starwood: Plat; Hilton: Diam Hyatt: Diam; Loews Plat; Avis: Chair.
When I stayed there they gave me a two level suite. Kind of old but it was nice to be appreciated.

To stay on topic, I took a cab.
Old Jun 30, 2002, 9:37 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LifetimeTitanium, UA Plat 2MM, LHW LeadersClub, IHGPlat, HiltonDiamnd, ASMVPG100K, WyndDiamnd
I took the train to Centraal Station and then the tram. The hotel is a half block from the tram stop. I think it is the same stop as the Anne Frank Museum. The hotel is at Prinsengracht 315-331. (Get off the tram and turn immediately left (do not go over the canal, cross the street. The hotel is a half block on the left.) It is perhaps five or ten minutes from the station.

I do not remember the Tram numbers. I believe they are 13, 17, or 20 . It is necessary to buy a ticket first. One can do that at the metro station downstairs in front of Centraal Station. It is a good idea to get an unlimited tram ticket if you want to use it a lot or get a strip of tickets and remember to validate when you board a bus, tram or the metro. You can get a Transport guide at the Metro.

[This message has been edited by Nevsky (edited 06-30-2002).]
Old Jul 1, 2002, 3:24 am

Programs: KLM Platinum, BA Gold, ex-HHonors Diamond, Starwood SPG Gold (ex-Platinum), StarChoice
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by WNLuvr:
Don't expect luxury by any means at the Pulitzer.</font>
I disagree - ask nicely for for example one of the executive rooms and you shall not be disappointed - I had a spacious one once (Plat upgrade), with a beautiful view over the Prinsengracht, large, modern, luxurious bathroom and more...

What you will get is a memorable and unique hotel stay like none other.
Sometimes it's nice to get away from the rectangular business rooms for something different.
</font>
Agree 100%

As for directions, all the above should be sufficient. Train to Central station and then tram is the cheapest and still practical. Taxi from Central station is vastly more comfortable at a decent price, and finally, taxi from Schiphol is great but at a cost...

Have a good stay!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.