Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Hotel Pulitzer, Amsterdam 1999 - 2007 [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hotel Pulitzer, Amsterdam 1999 - 2007 [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2003, 11:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by grumbler:
For high end, try Blakes or the L'Europe.</font>
I've not stayed at Blakes but have heard and read good things, especially about the decor. However, I would caution very strongly aginst L'Europe: the perfect waterfront location and very nice decor is ruined by the extremely rude, haughty staff. I was actually laughed at by the front clerk, within clear hearing of a manager, when I objected to the tobacco factory posing as a hotel room that I had been assigned. Her voice dripping with condesention, she informed me, "sir, this is a SMALL HOTEL - those Leading Hotels of the World confirmations are meaningless to us".....

Old Aug 2, 2003, 6:37 pm

Be warned, If it is hot. There are only two rooms with air conditioning.
Old Aug 2, 2003, 8:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
I was recently there again - the GM had placed a letter in the room apologizing in advance for the lack of upgrade and that there were (I recall) 3 suites - there was a respectable welcome amenity (a bottle of wine from Chile, fruit, and a couple of stroopwaffles (sp?). I really hate to see the standard rooms there, because the 'executive" rooms are pretty small. All in all a decent place that is way too much money for what it is - but no more than a comparable hotel in Europe.
Old Aug 3, 2003, 6:38 am

Consider staying at the Grand Amsterdam, Sofitel Demeure.

www.thegrand.nl
Old Aug 3, 2003, 6:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
I couldn't think of a less romantic place to spend part of one's honeymoon than the Sheraton AMS. Go into the city and enjoy the ambiance. I agree the Hilton is very nice, but distant from the centre of the city where you want to be. The John and Yoko room is an experience, done in a minimalist Japanese decor with etchings from John's drawings, and a few framed platinum record albums on the walls.

I had a very good experience with l'Europa but that was decades ago. Enjoy the charm of wherever you stay in the inner ring of canals. Smallness is part of the charm of living Dutch for a night or two. It will add to your intimacy...

Yes, auh2o, I think Starwood was trying to send you a message...

As for SAfrica, check out my recent post on the HI/CP/IC Forum in response to your question over there, for some tips on making your stay a fuller experience down there.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum58/HTML/000639.html

[This message has been edited by Shareholder (edited 08-03-2003).]
Old Aug 4, 2003, 8:17 am

Programs: Marriott Gold, IHG Elite KLM Flying Blue,
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by lmk:
We are hoping to start our honeymoon with a short stay at the Hotel Pulitzer in Amsterdam before flying on to South Africa. </font>
The deluxe room is quite spacious in this hotel IMO. the hotel has a romantic location and the view of the canal is beautiful. Since 25 historic canalhouses are put toghether to form this hotel, it is very special to stay here, not only for the historic part. The garden is very nice and cool on a sunny day. the food is great here.
Another very good hotel you could consider is the Krasnapolsky hotel, in the middle of Amsterdam, however I do think the rooms will be smaller here!

I bet you will have a very nice stay in the Pullitzer, and I agree: why not contact the hotel for expressing your wishes and concern?

Old Aug 8, 2003, 8:34 am

Programs: United MileagePlus Premier 1K, Delta SkyMiles Diamond Medallion
Never get upgraded at Sheraton Pulitzer, Amsterdam

I always get a standard room (which aren't too bad, but would love an upgrade at this great hotel)...has any one ever been upgraded here?
Old Aug 8, 2003, 9:43 am

They only have two suites at the hotel so the chances of getting one on an upgrade is slim. I have stayed there twice as a platinum and I did get a suite once. It was the same as a deluxe room but it had an A frame bedroom upstairs with two twin beds in it. The second time I got a deluxe room but it wasn't that deluxe so I don't know what amenities it had over a standard room.
Old Aug 8, 2003, 9:56 am
Suspended

sounds like the W Seattle.
Old Aug 8, 2003, 10:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There are very many nice Executive Rooms there that are upgradeable into, a few of which are almost like Suites. See this thead:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum74/HTML/006808.html
Old Aug 8, 2003, 10:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
I once got one of the W Seattle's great suites on the top floor. Too bad I was only in town for one night, and had nobody to impress with it. As noted, the Pullitzer is a small property with limited upgrading potential and likely a high patronage by regulars and Plats. European hotels tend to favour their regular customers even if they are not elites in affiliate programs like SPG.
Old Aug 8, 2003, 10:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">European hotels tend to favour their regular customers even if they are not elites in affiliate programs like SPG.</font>
Agree with this. This can even occur on occasion at locations here in North American and all over the world.
Old Aug 8, 2003, 11:23 am
Suspended

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Shareholder:
European hotels tend to favour their regular customers even if they are not elites in affiliate programs like SPG.</font>
if they were regular customers of the Pulitzer (or another SPG hotel), wouldn't they be elite (unless they chose airline miles or no miles/points)? i think people working at the front desk give preference to people that speak their own language/dialect over elites from a hotel program.
Old Aug 8, 2003, 2:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think you'd be surprised how many regular business and leisure travelers are out there that are frequent guests at a property or chain and that never even bother to join the frequent guest scheme (I used to be one of them). Not just in Europe either. Any special recognition they get comes from the hotel's own guest tracking software, or just name or sight recognition.

And not just high end schemes are ignored by some either. The other afternoon I was at a Subway Sandwich shop where they give out a stamp for every sandwich you buy. 8 gets you a freebie. This businessman was picking up a huge order (probably for an office luncheon or something) and the clerk tried to hand him this big roll of stamps, probably enough for 4 or 5 free sandwiches, at least! The businessman asked what they were for, the clerk told him, and he just handed them back saying, "No thanks. I don't have time to mess with this kinda thing." The lady standing next to him in line (probably a FlyerTalker ) quickly chirped up and said, "Take them and give them to me!" He did. Dang! She beat me to it!

[This message has been edited by PremEx (edited 08-08-2003).]
Old Aug 8, 2003, 2:37 pm

Programs: UA *G
Like Radisson..and my mom.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.