Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Hotel Pulitzer, Amsterdam 1999 - 2007 [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hotel Pulitzer, Amsterdam 1999 - 2007 [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2003, 12:32 am

Appreciated the pics as well, rocky. Nice to see a preview of the Westin Grand in Madrid, where I'll be staying at for 3 nights in March.

Regarding the Grand Sofitel Demeure, I considered this one for a while since it seems to be available on Priceline for roughly US $200. But I'd like to start burning through some of my Starpoints, hence my reservation at the Pulitzer. It seems like most everyone has gotten upgraded there, but, then again, most of you seem to have some status with them. I guess I'll just have to cross my fingers and hope I get a canal-view room. I'd be pretty disappointed if I didn't though, considering that it's not exactly tourist season. Any other advice to improve my chances -- arrive early? arrive late?

Correction: just checked on Expedia and a room at the Grand Sofitel is going for 130 Euro.

[This message has been edited by drjhwang (edited 01-09-2003).]
Old Mar 18, 2003, 6:28 pm

Programs: United MM- Marriott Titanium - Air France/KLM Flying Blue Platinum
Hotel Pulitzer Amsterdam - Review

Had a chance to stay there this last week-end. Booked a last minute price deal on Starwood's site for $ 195/night. I arrived at the hotel very early, around 9 am (by the way, I recommend taking the train from the airport to the Central station, from the train station the hotel is a short 20 minutes walk, a nice walk). I had requested an early check in but was to guaranteed it.
Check in was very fast, efficient and friendly. Early check in was not a problem. My platinum status was mentioned and I was upgraded to a Executive room. Glad I used the help to get to my room, would have never find it otherwise !!!! This place is a real labyrinth... Up and down the stairs, turn right turn left... Room was really cute. I read before that rooms are on the small side, mine was just right. Very nice view of the canal. Bathroom definitively small, my only complaint about this hotel... (also toilet paper was really rough !!! thought you might appreciate this important detail...).
Service was very good the entire time, concierge got me great tickets to an Ajax's soccer game... Overall a very nice stay. Weather was unbelievable last week-end, not a cloud in the sky and nice springy temperatures...
Old Mar 18, 2003, 6:43 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Delta Plat, SPG Plat, Hilton Silver, Hertz PC
When I was a Gold member, I was upgraded to an Executive room there. I was very pleased with the hotel and the entire experience.

As mentioned above, the executive room was a nice size and the bathroom was a little small (although very nicely and recently redone).

For the Popular Mechanics crowd, I was extremely impressed with the heating element behind the mirror--no matter how much steam gets kicked out during your shower, the mirror has a perfect, rectangular viewing area preserved for your shaving pleasure. I had never seen--and have never again seen--anything like it.
Old Mar 19, 2003, 12:31 am
Suspended

nice review but...please attach to other reviews of this property. that way, two months from now when someone is searching for reviews of this property they only have to look in one thread. i print them out and read them on flights and its a pain to print multiple reviews when they should just be added to one master review thread for a particular property.
Old May 2, 2003, 5:04 am

Programs: LH Sen // HH Dia; Bonvoy LTTE
Last year I redeemed a free Saturday at the Pulitzer in Amsterdam. The stay was very enjoyable and Amsterdam offers a lot ot do & see. It was pretty clear that I'd return.

I chose the 30th of April to go again to the Pulitzer. Amsterdam celebrates Queen's birthday that day. The centre of Amsterdam was closed for transport (no taxi/car, no trams) when I arrived. The only way was to walk through the crowd from Amsterdam Centraal station .

The entrance of the Pulitzer was decorated with orange ballons. Music was playing and people were dancing. Heineken was there, too. Finally I found my way through the party and enjoyed this stay at the Pulitzer .

Sheraton Hotel Pulitzer
+ executive deluxe room towards Keizersgracht
+ room amenity are some waffles ("Stroopwafels")
+ personal welcome letter (excuse for no suite upgrade, drink voucher for the bar [without any further restriction, e.g. "you have to eat something" or "you have to spend at least 10EUR"], and a voucher for WSJ), a big bottle of Chilean wine, and a fruit plate were already in the room

----------
Pictures from hotel stays

[This message has been edited by LH738 (edited 05-02-2003).]
Old May 2, 2003, 7:11 am

Programs: Qatar Platinum, Etihad Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Stayed there last year for a free night. Was upgraded to a canal-view room but no amenities were provided (maybe 'cause I was Gold then).

The hotel is very romantic though rooms are not up to the standard of the Luxury Collection. The AC at our room broken down and couldn't get any immediate response/help to this problem and we had to open the window. I was expecting some sort of apology or a reply to my comments on the card I filled upon checking out, but nothing came. I guess customer service was on a holiday at then!!
Old Jul 31, 2003, 1:50 pm
lmk

Location: RSW & HDS (Naples, Florida & Hoedspruit, South Africa); frequently flying via JNB, EWR, IAD, ORD
Programs: UA Platinum, Star Alliance Gold, Hilton Silver, AA
Tips for discounts, upgrades, etc. for honeymoon stay @ Hotel Pulitzer in Amsterdam?

We are hoping to start our honeymoon with a short stay at the Hotel Pulitzer in Amsterdam before flying on to South Africa. Does anyone know of a way (web booking codes, etc.) to access any special discounts, etc.? Alternatively, does anyone have any coupons or upgrades that could help? If so, pls e-mail me at [email protected] w/ your flyertalk handle. I can offer some coupons for car rental discounts, upgrades, etc. Thanks.
Old Jul 31, 2003, 5:02 pm
In Memoriam, Original Member

Hotel Pulitzer tip for those party types...

We just returned from a stay there. We had room 105. It was a loft style room with the living room and bathroom on the bottom floor and the bed room upstairs over looking the front of the hotel and the canal. The stairs are very, very steep (kind of almost like a ladder) and very narrow. So imagine..it's dark, it's 3:30AM, you are really drunk and you really have to pee and you have to navigate the staris. Seriously though, it was a great room and a great hotel but I had a sneaking suspicion that Starwood was trying to kill me.
Old Jul 31, 2003, 5:33 pm

The Hotel Pulitzer only has two suites so the chances of an upgrade are slim.
Old Jul 31, 2003, 6:17 pm
In memoriam

Programs: Kimpton IC, Hyatt Diamond, Gold Marriott, Lifetime Platinum Starwood
You may also want to post this on Coupon Connection.
Old Jul 31, 2003, 7:41 pm

Programs: UA 1K/2MM, SPG/Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Lifetime HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, AA Exec Plat
My comments about the Hotel Pulitzer:
PROS:
1) very charming, historic hotel
2) fabulous courtyard, great for a romantic evening after a stroll up and down the canals
3) good location, in the middle of the action (I did not say great because it's kind of hard to get to

CONS (you're not gonna like it):
1) VERY noisy - especially if you get a room facing the canals. I was awaken at 5:00AM once with garbage trucks hauling away the rubish
2) quirky rooms, since it's a bunch of boathouses hooked together. Therefore, you can get a great room or a so so one
3) rooms are generally (but not always) small and therefore quite cramped
4) high prices for paid stay, and practically to get an upgrade because of limited suite availability

So my recommendations for a honeymoon in Amsterdam?
1) if you insist on being in a Starwood property, then go for the Sheraton Amsterdam Schiphol Airport. It INSIDE the airport so you can walk from the bag claim to the hotel lobby. It's modern, superb hotel, and the Club Rooms are very nice (never got a suite there, so don't know). And don't be turned off by the airport location, because the train station is right downstairs and the ride to downtown Amsterdam and the canals are a bare 20 mins away (fare is about 2 euros I think, not sure anymore)

2) If you can do Hilton, then go for the Hilton Amsterdam on Appololaan. Superb hotel, and it's also the one that John Lennon and Yko Ono staged their peace protest (the event is duly noted in the hotel). It also has a great restaurant across the street (in the Bilderberg Hotel) called the Mangerie de Keseiltun (not sure about the exact spelling). Absolutely a honeymoon to remember!
Old Aug 1, 2003, 7:03 am

Programs: UA-Platimum 2 MM, HH-Gold, MR-Lifetime Gold, Hyatt-Discoverist
Imk, I would call the hotel or Starwood and explain the 'honeymoon' situation and see what they can do. While yes, the airport Sheraton is nice & modern, the Pulitzer is very charming. I was given a suite with the same very narrow stairs-- but my 'loft' contained a sitting room with desk. I beleive they do have more than 2 suites, but in any event try to get a canal view room on an upper floor. Yes, the noise can be bothersome in the am, but the views in the evening (IMO) make up for it. You can stroll along the canal, stop in at various shoppes and restaurants, and have a wonderful Amsterdam experience to start your trip.
Old Aug 1, 2003, 11:06 am

Programs: AC SE MM, too many others
Forget the chain hotels, Starwood or otherwise, in Amsterdam. For high end, try Blakes or the L'Europe.
Old Aug 1, 2003, 11:37 am
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM), France and TravelBuzz!

Location: Paris, France, AF F+ Rouge pour toujours, Flying Blue whatever, LH FTL, HHonors Gold, formerly proud SCC Executive, now IC Ambassador, BA down to nobody, Grand Voyageur Le Club
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by grumbler:
Forget the chain hotels, Starwood or otherwise, in Amsterdam. For high end, try Blakes or the L'Europe.</font>
The Amstel is not so bad.
Old Aug 1, 2003, 11:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Room 105 has always been my favorite room here, as well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.