Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Hotel Pulitzer, Amsterdam 1999 - 2007 [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hotel Pulitzer, Amsterdam 1999 - 2007 [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2, 2007, 4:01 pm
SPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Lifetime Titanium, Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond , Hyatt Globalist
Thumbs up

Just returned from a wonderful 6 night stay at the Pulitzer--

I'll be posting our trip report and photos as soon as I have a second to decompress.

If the moderators will allow me, I think it's time for a new thread on the Pulitzer. We've had excellent experiences at Starwood hotels in Europe and this was one of our best!
Old Apr 3, 2007, 1:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Well I just returned from my umpteenth stay over the last couple of years and there is nothing new to report. The parts that are good about this hotel are still good (great bar and location) and the parts that are bad are still bad (overall poor service for a "luxury" hotel, not enough decent rooms).

This time I got an upgrade to an "executive" room that was the tiniest room I have ever had there. The bed was tiny and there was almost no room to walk around. It had an upstairs that contained one chair, one tiny table and a giant mill-wheel. Huh? I'm only 6'1" and yet I had to stoop over to fit in the midget shower. Give the "charm" to the tourists. I'm there on business and I need a little space please.
Old Apr 12, 2007, 5:29 pm
SPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Lifetime Titanium, Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond , Hyatt Globalist
Thumbs up Trip Report Pulitzer Amsterdam March 2007 with Pictures

OK— I think it’s time for a new Pulitzer thread. Mostly because I don’t feel right posting this trip report in a thread with a big “Thumbs down” icon (and a sarcastic subject heading)

Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ourshot...7600053628865/

This is a trip report on our recent 6 night stay at the Hotel Pulitzer in Amsterdam. After reading so many mixed reports here on Flyer Talk I have to admit that we were pretty nervous. Six nights is a long time to get stuck in a sub-par hotel room. So we crossed our fingers and hoped for the best.
To our relief and delight the Hotel Pulitzer turned out to be one of our best Starwood experiences.

Check-in/Arrival:
We arrived around 3 in the afternoon, exhausted after our long plane ride. Check in was smooth and easy and we were pleasantly surprised when the agent told us that breakfast was included in our (award) rate. She acknowledged our plat status and gave us a choice of amenities. We chose the 500 points. After giving us our keys she explained that a bellman would direct us to our room, because the hotel layout can be confusing. Although our room number was 475, she explained that our room was on the 6th floor.
After reading stories about maze-like passageways, we were surprised that the route was straightforward. We walked through the lobby to a hallway that took us past the bar to Lift B. (The rooms on the other side of the hotel may be harder to get to)

Room:
When we booked back in May 2006 we used extra points for a suite. We had heard that the rooms can vary dramatically at the Pulitzer and we wanted to make sure we’d have a nice one. We were expecting a room similar in size to suites we’ve stayed in at the Danieli, the Prince de Galles, Imperial etc. but to our surprise our room was huge—more like an apartment than a typical hotel room.

When we entered there was a long hallway leading to a large living room. Off the hallway was a door leading to the master bedroom, and an area with a bureau of drawers, 2 side consoles and a stairway leading up to a second bedroom.

The living room was fantastic- it had huge windows overlooking the Keizersgracht (the Emperor’s Canal) and was divided into several comfortable sections. There was a sitting area with a loveseat facing the TV, a desk area, a reading corner with a reading chair and ottoman, a dining table with 4 chairs in front of a little kitchen nook with a fridge and stove burners.
The downstairs bedroom had a real king size bed (not 2 twins pushed together) a swivel cheval mirror, and a sitting chair.

The upstairs bedroom, which we didn’t need (except for hair drying) was up a narrow set of stairs which I wouldn’t want to navigate in the middle of the night half asleep or after a drink or two (but I am admittedly klutzy). Otherwise, it was a charming room with exposed wooden beam ceilings.
For some strange reason, the hair dryer was not in the bathroom, but was attached to the inside of the desk in the upstairs bedroom. It was very odd to hike up the stairs after my shower each morning to sit at the desk to dry my hair. This would be so easy to fix—I hope they consider it.

In fact, the bathroom in our room was the only downside—it was small and narrow—but the shower had decent pressure and aside from its small size, it was comparable to other bathrooms in older hotels in Europe.

Though not luxurious, our room turned out to be one of the most comfortable rooms we’ve stayed at in Europe. We’ve always considered renting a flat instead of a hotel on one of our visits and that’s exactly what it felt like. The living room was especially cozy—I could have spent hours looking out the windows at the stunning views of the Keizersgracht—fascinating during the day and magical at night, when the city and bridges are illuminated.

Dining:
We had already made reservations at restaurants we wanted to try in Amsterdam, so we never ate dinner at the Pulitzer, but each morning we had a wonderful breakfast in the downstairs dining room. It’s a lovely space, with art work on the walls and tables by windows that overlook quiet sidestreets. It was a very relaxing atmosphere with a first class buffet. There was fresh squeezed orange juice, cereals, breads, yogurt, fresh fruit plus smoked salmon, cold meats and cheeses. There were also hot choices—pannekoeken, scrambled eggs, bacon and sausage. An efficient waiter brought a pot of coffee, which he always left on the table (something I’ve always appreciated). On weekdays the restaurant serves breakfast until 11 am and on weekends until 2 pm—a nice convenience.

Common Areas:
Again these were a pleasant surprise. A previous poster had described dark, winding hallways. I wondered if we even stayed at the same hotel. Our walk from the lobby to our room took us through a sunny, glass walkway that overlooks charming courtyard gardens, filled with sculptures and flowerbeds. On the walls in the hallways were contemporary Dutch art and at intervals there were comfortable sitting areas.
There was also an area with a computer for guests’ use.

Staff:
We were extremely pleased with the service at the Pulitzer. On our first night, as at many Starwoods in Europe, management delivered a bottle of wine and a welcome note to our room. It was a delicious malbec and we appreciated it. The next day there was a knock on the door and 2 housekeepers were standing there with 3 beautiful vases of flowers. It was a nice touch and something that made us feel at home.
Each night turn-down came with chocolate and stroopwafels. There were also 2 complimentary bottles of water each day.

As an added bonus, the Pulitzer has its own boat—a gorgeous restored 100 year old teak beauty with brass fittings and Tiffany lamps. Taking a tour with the knowledgeable and entertaining Captain Jan was a nice intro to the city (although they should not try to squeeze so many people on the boat at the same time—there were 10 of us and it was way too cramped. 6 would have been perfect)

We had a good feeling about the location even before our arrival. A local Amsterdammer sent us an email before our visit and this is what he said: “The Pulitzer is an excellent choice by the way, located in the nicest part of Amsterdam” He was right! During our visit we probably walked over 6 miles a day—exploring every part of the city and the Jordaan was by far our favorite spot—beautiful narrow tree-lined streets and canals, interesting shops and galleries, fascinating architecture, inviting cafes and pubs. We fell in love with it. It’s a perfect place to spend a relaxing day wandering into shops and stopping for breaks at bruin cafés.
Amsterdam is a walking city. The hotel is just a few blocks from the Anne Frank house and very close to Dam Square, but it was a pleasant walk to the Van Gogh and Rijksmuseum and restaurants we enjoyed, like the Indonesian restaurant Tempo Doloe.
(Tip—since you’re so close it’s best to visit the Anne Frank house after 6 PM when the crowds are gone—during the day they’re lined around the block)
The Jordaan is a very safe area--- even at midnight we felt comfortable walking around and there’s always lots of people on the street (policemen too, though they’re tough to spot on their bicycles). The city is amazing at night-- there are strings of lights on all the bridges and the quiet houseboats come to life.

Here are a few other places in the Jordaan that we recommend:

Though there were others we wanted to try we only dined 3 times in the Jordaan district.

Our favorite was restaurant de Luwte, on Leliegracht 28 (just a few blocks from the Pulitzer) The food was excellent and very reasonable. I thought my sole was superior to the fish dinner I had at Visaandeschelde on the Scheldeplein, which many consider the best seafood restaurant in Amsterdam. My husband had a great duck confit.

We also had a nice lunch sitting by the canal at Cafe 't Smalle. Egelantiersgracht 12 (on the corner of the Prinsengracht) which is really a pub, but had good sandwiches and beer.

A little further north was a fun place to sit and have a beer—Papeneiland, a wonderful brown café in a great location overlooking the Prinsengracht. Captain Jan explained that they used to have a tunnel that led to a secret Catholic Church across the canal (the name translates to “Pope’s Island”)
We found the most delicious chocolate covered nuts at Simon Levelt at Prinsengracht 180 and a great deli with fabulous Dutch cheeses called Loekie at Utrechtsestraat and Prinsengracht 705.

And if you want to buy a good bottle of wine or if you want to bring home some local Jenever—there’s a great wine shop at Nieuwe Leliestraat 4 called Wijnwinkel Quinta. The proprietor is super nice and helpful.

And one of the prettiest courtyards in the Jordaan (in a building with gorgeous architecture) is just a quick walk away at Herengracht 168 at the Museum Theater where you can sit in the café garden sipping wine under a towering magnolia tree looking out over the spire of the Westerkerk.

Bottom Line:
We loved the Pulitzer and would not hesitate to recommend it. ^ ^ ^
Old Apr 13, 2007, 10:02 am

Programs: UAL 1k, *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
I agree. This is a solid hotel. It is easy to get lost in maze of the hallways, but my room was great with a wonderful view.
Old Apr 18, 2007, 4:10 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Southwest A List, United Silver, Jumeirah One Silver, Marriott Silver
I also had a good experience

Stayed at the Pulitzer last week for a 1 night award stay (booked while it was still cat 4). Took Connexxion shuttle to hotel from AMS, took about 45 minutes as we made 3 stops before arriving at Pulitzer. Cost was 19.50 Euro per person for return fare.

At check-in was greeted by friendly staff. Was given Rm 502, which can be accessed by elevator "A" which was directly behind the check in counter. Was told breakfast was excluded, but didnt really bother me as I had a flight out of AMS early next morning and would just grab some nibbles at the KLM lounge. Room was very easy to find, and required only going down 2 sets of narrow stairs, each only 3-4 steps long. Room was decent sized for a European hotel. Had 2 bottles of water and 2 stroopwaffel cookies waiting for us. Bathroom was very nice, again a decent size for a European hotel. After returning from sightseeing, another 2 bottles of water, more stroopwaffel, and those infamous phallic chocolates were waiting for us. Overall, I liked the hotel quite a bit, as I did find it a charming property. It was definitely not overly luxurious, but the fixtures and furnishings were well updated.

Hotel is in excellent location. You can walk to Museumplein, Dam Square, red light district, Anne Frank House, and Jordann without much difficulty. We Went to the Anne Frank House at 2 pm and line was indeed around the corner, however it moved pretty quickly, and we were inside in less than 30 minutes.

drnp
Old Apr 18, 2007, 10:50 pm
SPG 5+ Badge

It's always interesting to me how hotel experiences stay with you. It's over 2weeks since our return and we only have fond memories.

We've told some of our friend about our stay and now they're making plans to visit there.

And we're looking forward to returning again ourselves.
Old Apr 21, 2007, 8:10 am

Programs: AA Gold, HH Gold
Thanks for the report and the photos. We had considered staying here once and ended up at the Amsterdam Hilton. I would give it a try now based on your report.
Old Apr 25, 2007, 4:56 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond, SPG Gold
Thanks for the report...I just booked this hotel with points for a stay in june....Amazingly, it was only 12k points/night....I'm doing a few weeks traveling around europe and all the other cat 5 hotels in western europe were 16k/pts a night because summer, obviously is the peak season for europe. but amazingly, this hotel is only 12k/night in june, which makes it a pretty good deal.
Old Jul 14, 2007, 9:33 am

Programs: SPG, HH, UAMP, AEPL, DC
Pulizter One-Night Stay July 07

I spent one night at the Pulitzer ten days ago, using points (12,000 -- I guess July isn't considered high season in Amsterdam). After reading so many mixed reports here and on TripAdvisor, I nearly canceled my reservation and re-booked at the Hilton, which also had award rooms available for the night of my stay. But since I needed to be in Central Amsterdam for both business and personal reasons, and was spending less than 24 hours in the city, I decided to keep my reservation at the Pulitzer and contact them in advance about my room.

Award room types are not guaranteed and are assigned at check-in, and Gold members like myself receive less consideration than the Plats for upgrades (oh to regain that Plat status with Starwood...) so I emailed the concierge and explained my circumstances (late afternoon check-in, early check-out, but had a romantic evening planned and hoped they could find a way to accommodate me). I offered to pay for an upgrade with either Euros or additional points (something the website does not offer when making award reservations). Within 48 hours I received a very thoughtful reply, describing the Executive room they had reserved for me if I was willing to pay 75 Euros, which is the standard differential between regular and Executive rooms (don't be fooled that they call their regular rooms "deluxe" -- those are the standard rooms). This seemed very reasonable to me and I emailed back and thanked them.

At check-in I had the good fortune to be checked in by the front desk manager who had approved my request, and who recognized my name before I mentioned my upgraded room assignment. She was exceptionally friendly and polite and the room she had reserved for me was beautiful, with a large bathtub and a view of the canal. The furnishings were solid and well-maintained, lots of dark wood and hardwood floors. It felt prosperous but not over-the-top -- like the Netherlands generally, in my experience. I had no complaints at all about how my reservation was handled or the size and amenities in my Executive room, although the hotel did admit that some of its standard rooms very quite "cosy".

The one complaint on this thread that I can echo (literally) is that the acoustics were AWFUL. I could easily hear conversations in the hallway, in spite of being at the end of the hallway, and because of the lack of carpeting and the age of the buildings I was awakened at 3am by the person above me moving about the room -- probably just to go to the bathroom, but it sounded like someone was dragging farm equipment across the floor. I suppose in such an old property concerned to maintain its "authenticity" -- ie, no pile carpeting -- this is inevitable but if I had been staying more than one night it would have become seriously irritating.

The Executive rooms include breakfast, which is a 25 Euro value. To those on this thread who have complained about such a charge for a buffet breakfast -- welcome to European hotels! Ordered breakfast in New York lately? While I would never have forked over (as it were) $35 for such a breakfast, it was a full hot and cold buffet, served in a lovely dining room, with impeccable service. I paid attention to how others were being treated since I had read so many negative reviews of the service here and elsewhere. The couple next to me asked for take-away cups for their coffee and got them within about 90 seconds. Another couple had been staying for a few days and the waiter knew them by name and chatted with them while seating them. I didn't receive a bill b/c the free breakfast was noted on the master list of rooms at the maitre d's station, but others around me had theirs and paid and were on their way quickly. So while I can't dispute what others have experienced, my experience was very good.

I'm not sure I would pay 550 Euros to stay here, however (the rack rate for my room). 75 Euros + 12000 points for such a nice room and "free" breakfast seemed very reasonable, and the hotel is certainly unique -- the interior gardens are beautiful, as is the small, dark bar, and many of the ground floor hallways are hung with interesting and original works of art -- but at the end of the day I found it too quirky to be an acceptable business hotel and suffering from too many chronic irritations (the acoustics) to be good for a quiet and/or romantic getaway. Compare for example with the Prince de Galles in Paris (also a LC property) which has plenty of "character" and is far from "cookie-cutter generic American" but is also really substantial and consistent.

I'm glad I stayed here for the one night, and I applaud the hotel for the quality and personalization of service it offered me. But the other posters are correct -- it just doesn't feel "5 star". And that's not coming from an expectation that all 5 star hotels should come off some corporate assembly line; just that there is a fine line between character and intrusive inconvenience.
Old Sep 24, 2007, 2:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K Million Miler, Marriott Ambassador (lifetime Platinum), Avis Presidents Club
My wife & I stayed in the Pulitzer this past weekend (21 Sep to 23 Sep).

I think I'd sum up my trip report with: This is an interesting hotel.

Here's the details. Used my Company's SET code to get a €205 rate per night. Not fantastic, but not horrible compared to some of the posted rates depending on the weekend. Upon arrival, we were very quickly offered with an executive room "upgrade" provided we understood that breakfast was not included in our room rate. As others have alluded to, no two rooms in this hotel are alike, so its hard to compare whether we got a good or bad room. Anyhow, we were on the top floor, in the "gables" with windows facing the canal on the road starting with a "K" . . . our other window was on the canal that the Anne Frank house is on, but set back a little. The room felt like an attic, but was reasonably decent sized. Queen size bed, living area (if you can call it that), carpeting throughout (some rooms aren't carpeted). Hotel staff was very friendly and helpful. I asked for a late check-out which was instantly approved without question. I think one of the things that sold me the most on the hotel was after a late night of drinking, my wife and I passed by the front desk and knowing we drank our free allotted water, we asked for more--they obliged without question. Simple little thing but it goes over well.

All told this was just an odd hotel. I was annoyed with the price of breakfast (€27 per person). I know its Europe and all but we got a similar breakfast right next to the Anne Frank house for less than €10/person. Go figure. The location is good for certain things, but a little out of the way for others. The one thing that I would echo other posters on is that this is NOT a 5 star hotel (well at least it doesn't have that feel to it).
Old Sep 24, 2007, 2:38 pm

Originally Posted by EWR ATC Hold
My wife & I stayed in the Pulitzer this past weekend (21 Sep to 23 Sep).
As did my boyfriend and I!

Sounds like we had an attic room on the other side of the building (over looking the Prinsengracht rather than the Keizersgracht). I used an SPG 50 - got the rate down from €245 (my SET rate) to €233.

We had a lovely stay - sure, the hotel isn't conventional 5 star, but it is a great experience, and one of the most comfortable bed and duvets I've experienced in a long time!

Again, fantastic staff - all requests met promptly and courteously, and a great location ^
Old Nov 29, 2007, 12:31 am

Programs: LH Sen, IC Spire Ambassador, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Award stay at Pulitzer Amsterdam

Good morning,

I booked an Award Stay in Amsterdam fomr 7th-9th of Dec. Because I read some contrary reviews of the hotel here at Flyertalk (thanks to all posters), I would like to know what I can expect as a Platinum member on Award stay.

I hope I haven't missed that info in another thread, but couldn't find anything.

Thanks in advance!

Cheers
Marc
Old Nov 29, 2007, 12:59 am

Marc,

The staff is very friendly and recognize SPG status.

The hotel is very good with upgrades, especially during off-season which is when you will be there. I find the rooms on the small side though. My room had a welcome note from the GM with a package of some wafers with caramel and a box of chocolates. It was a very nice little touch.

Give us a trip report
Old Dec 10, 2007, 7:20 am
MKB

I stayed at the Pulitzer this past Saturday using a free weekend night from the summer promotion.

This is my second stay here. Last time I was lucky enough to get one of the duplex canal-side rooms, so I requested one this time. They apologised at check-in that the duplex rooms were already taken this time, but that they had pre-assigned room 418, which, I think, I prefer.

It's the only room on Prinsengracht that has a balcony, and its huge windows give the rooms lots of natural light. You reach the room after going up and down several mini flights of stairs. Although not overly large, the room feels more like an apartment, with an entrance hall that leads to the bedroom/sitting area on the front of the house and to the bathroom with it's own window on the back of the house.

One very useful "feature" was that there is a rear door from the bedroom that leads straight down three flights of stairs to the road outside, which made for a very convenient exit. This appears to be via the hotel's staff entrance. There are A4 posters along the stair walls warning staff to be quiet because of complaints about "noice" disturbing guests in 418. While my key card opened the rear door to the room, it did not operate the door into the building, so this was only useful for leaving rather than coming back to my room.

Aside from the front desk waking me up to ask why I hadn't checked-out -- it might have something to do with having confirmed a 4pm check-out! -- this was a very pleasant stay with very friendly and helpful staff.

It's probably worth commenting that Platinum upgrades to executive rooms do not include the breakfast that comes included on paid rates. They even write "Excl. breakfast" on your keycard so there is no doubt.

Martin.
Old Dec 27, 2007, 8:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
I have stayed here many times and have posted here earlier about the declining level of upgrades since the new owners took over. After my most recent stay I replied to the usual survey email I get and gave the Pulitzer a poor score.

Today I got a response back saying that upgrades are based on availability (like I don't know that) and that they will be soon renovating rooms gradually to keep up to standards. They said they would make a note in my profile so they can "put some extra attention to" my next stay. Maybe I'll get an extra Stroopwafel.

Those surveys cannot compare with the rich amount of feedback in this thread and I think they would be much better served by reading Flyertalk.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.