Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Hotel Pulitzer, Amsterdam 1999 - 2007 [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hotel Pulitzer, Amsterdam 1999 - 2007 [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30, 2003, 2:42 pm

Tram from Centraal is going to be much cheaper than a cab. It's a good 20+ minute walk, so if you have luggage I wouldn't recommend it. Here's the directions the Pulitzer sent me prior to my visit, which worked out very well...

>>>
In the front of the (centraal) train station you will see a lot of busses on your left hand and at your right hand there are trams to the centre. You have to take tram number 6, 13 or 17. you have to get out of the tram at the stop that is called the WESTERMARKT. After that you to have to walk to the traffic-lights at your left hand. You have to cross the road and walk straight ahead. You will see the hotel after 50 meters at your left hand.
>>>

The Westermarkt stop will have a church on the right. Just keep walking in the same direction the tram is heading, turn left just before crossing the canal, and you'll see it up ahead. I used this tram stop constantly to catch the #6 to Leidensplein and other fun areas of town.
Old Oct 30, 2003, 3:09 pm

There is also the Connexxion hotel bus. I'm not sure if it's currently serving the Pulitzer directly, but several years ago I took it when staying at the Pulitzer and it dropped me off just down the block. It costs 10 Euros and I believe you find the bus outside Schiphol Plaza when you arrive. I took it from another AMS hotel to Schiphol in August and it was about a 30 minute ride.
Old Oct 30, 2003, 8:44 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

The bus will let you right off on the block
the Pulitzer is on.
You can't mess it up
And although I prefer a taxi myself from the airport I have been taken on a scenic tour that was never requested both to and from the airports on recent visits.
Driving up the fare an extra 10 or 15 Euros each way.
It is a shame for the honest friendly drivers(which there are many) because I tend to take the train now to Central Station and walk to my very nearby hotel of choice.
I find most of the taxi drivers very good in that city but there are always the handful that think they can beat the system and the
unsuspecting traveler.
If you do take the train to Central station do not walk to the Pulitzer unless you have very little in the way of luggage it is a very good distance.
Have a great trip.
Happy Travels.

------------------
AA & Starwood,Marriott Platinum
Hyatt, Hilton Diamond
Swissotel Club Gold
U/A 1k

[This message has been edited by 777 global mile hound (edited 10-31-2003).]
Old Oct 31, 2003, 3:52 am

777's comment about taxis is true, I guess, in any city. My worst taxi experiences are in Athens and Rome. London's illegal touts at the Gatwick Express are notorious predators so do not even think of using them.

On my last visit to the Pulitzer, we had a somewhat elderly taxi driver who didn't put on the meter at the airport. When I noticed this, I suspected some scam was up but at least I knew what the proper fare was and I was gearing up for an argument out in front of the hotel where I could depend on a little support... but when we arrived at the hotel and the driver realised his mistake, he apologised and refused to accept any money for the ride. I had to practically force the proper fare onto him! I was so impressed not to have to deal with the typical scenario, and this man who I recognised had obviously made an honest mistake did a great service to Dutch tourism in his approach!
Old Oct 31, 2003, 10:28 am

They really have to fix the taxi situation, but if you do decide to take one, the doorman at the hotel told us that the fare should be about Euro 35. A little more or a little less is fine, but certainly not 45 or 50 Euros.
Old Nov 1, 2003, 9:57 am
prh

Programs: AA Platinum Plus; One World Emerald
Part of your decisionmaking should take into account when you're arriving. If you're getting in from the US first thing in the morning, I'd take the train and a taxi to the hotel. That's going to be faster than a taxi in rush hour traffice. Otherwise, I'd opt for the taxi, particularly if you have bags and more than one traveler. On the way back, I'd probably opt for the taxi unless you were leaving in the evening.
Old Nov 3, 2003, 8:27 am

Thanks to all for the advice.
Old Dec 27, 2003, 10:08 pm

Programs: HYATT-Nothingness; Starwood-Nothingness; AA-Nothingness
Any recent reviews of this? Might stay on a quick getaway in FEB?

- Chris
Old Feb 13, 2004, 6:57 pm

Pulitzer Hotel Amsterdam

Does anyone have first hand knowledge of the Pulitzer in Amsterdam?

Would appreciate any info/opinion.

Thanks

------------------
UA 2P, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Silver Elite
Old Feb 13, 2004, 7:17 pm

Have you done a search?
Old Feb 13, 2004, 10:24 pm
Commander Catcop

Some recent views, some with pictures:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum74/HTML/004394.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum74/HTML/007889.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum74/HTML/008362.html

This is one of the best Starwood properties in Europe. It's worth the points. It's a good use of Free weekends (when you can get them. )

Also: Don't forget to ask the concierge about the boat tour around the canals of AMS. It's even better than one of those standard, touristy boats. It's a bit pricer but worth every penny. Won't say much more; something you need to experience yourself.
Old Feb 14, 2004, 11:29 am
Suspended

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by UpgradeMe:
Have you done a search?</font>
nail, head.
Old Feb 17, 2004, 9:54 pm

Programs: BA LTG, SQ TPPS, CX DMP, AA EXP, Bonvoy LTT, ALL PLT, Hilton DM
What's a reasonable fare from CS to the hotel? Will they even take the long way for that trip?
Old Feb 17, 2004, 10:47 pm

Programs: United MM- Marriott Titanium - Air France/KLM Flying Blue Platinum
taxi to airport is 40 euros with tips.
Old Feb 22, 2004, 12:52 am

We stayed here in December and posted a report
on Flyertalk Europe BRU-AMS-Pulitzer with some info that might help you.
Can't seem to get the link to post, sorry.

http://www.flyertalk.com/milesfr.shtml

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.