Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Hotel Pulitzer, Amsterdam 1999 - 2007 [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hotel Pulitzer, Amsterdam 1999 - 2007 [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6, 2004, 6:09 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Starwood Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Delta Platinum
Originally Posted by suitcasejockey
FYI the hotel is many blocks away from Dam Square. And it's quite expensive. And I just checked my Starwood account and they burned me on the starpoints - I am going to have to send in the letter when I get home. Nonetheless, if it weren't for a nighttime hotel employee, I would have checked out two days ago. He alone was the one that upgraded me - and the room I am in is spectacular - it's on the level of the Venetian.

I will write a full review of my experiences.
I would suggest that you talk to the general manager while you are at the hotel instead of just sending a letter in to Starwood after everything is done. Or, if you don't feel comfortable standing up to the GM face to face, call Starwood while you're there at the hotel.
Old Sep 6, 2004, 6:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Currently in Bloomington, IN, but Normally NYC, CDG, and even POZ or wherever FT takes me.
Programs: Northwest Airlines. MTA pay-per-ride Metrocard; zero-balance Oyster card.
suitcasejockey, I am also at the Pulitzer ight now. PM me if you'd like to have a drink.

As far as the points you mad, I am sure that they are valid for some, and to a point. The internet is slow and expensive, but this is Europe, not the Valley, so count your lucky stars that you can even connect.

As far as the distance from Dam Square goes - I hate that area, avoid it like the plague. The beauty of Amsterdam is not where the kids are, believe me.

Housekeeping must be backed-up today, as my room is also not made up. The turn-down service should fix that.

Nonetheless, if it weren't for a nighttime hotel employee, I would have checked out two days ago. He alone was the one that upgraded me - and the room I am in is spectacular - it's on the level of the Venetian.

That's life for you. I pay a high rate for an executive room, get two singles joined as K in one of the smaller buildings, on my third stay here this year. You b*tch and moan and besmirch, and get a suite.
Old Sep 6, 2004, 1:02 pm

Programs: CO Plat - AW Plat - AA Gold - SPG Plat - HH Gold - HY Gold - WBR - Alpha Phi Omega - GO CANES!
The funniest is that there is someone else from FT that is going to be on my flight home... What are the chances?
Old Sep 6, 2004, 1:42 pm
Company Representative - Starwood Area Manager the Netherlands

AMS-Pulitzer as Platinum or Hilton Downtown as Diamond?

Dear Chapel Hill Guy,

Kindly let me know the dates of your planned stay at the Hotel Pulitzer. I shall then personally make sure that you get the full Platinum treatment!

Looking forward to welcoming you to Amsterdam

Kurt Renold

Area Manager Starwood Hotels The Netherlands
Old Sep 6, 2004, 1:53 pm

Programs: CO Plat - AW Plat - AA Gold - SPG Plat - HH Gold - HY Gold - WBR - Alpha Phi Omega - GO CANES!
Originally Posted by bigjim
I would suggest that you talk to the general manager while you are at the hotel instead of just sending a letter in to Starwood after everything is done. Or, if you don't feel comfortable standing up to the GM face to face, call Starwood while you're there at the hotel.
I think my comments may have just been noticed.
Old Sep 6, 2004, 2:16 pm

Location: Chapel Hill, NC - UA Nobody (sigh)/0.925MM, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by GMAmsterdam
Dear Chapel Hill Guy,

Kindly let me know the dates of your planned stay at the Hotel Pulitzer. I shall then personally make sure that you get the full Platinum treatment!

Kurt Renold

Very kind. Thank you. I've sent you a private message.
Old Sep 6, 2004, 4:26 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Starwood Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Delta Platinum
Originally Posted by GMAmsterdam
Dear Chapel Hill Guy,

Kurt Renold

Good job. ^ ^
Old Sep 6, 2004, 7:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Currently in Bloomington, IN, but Normally NYC, CDG, and even POZ or wherever FT takes me.
Programs: Northwest Airlines. MTA pay-per-ride Metrocard; zero-balance Oyster card.
Kurt, Sir, you have a nice hotel. I hope that when I come back next year as Plat, you will still be so accomodating...
Old Oct 4, 2004, 6:29 am

Inexpensive Breakfast near Pulitzer AMS?

Just read about 15 past threads on Pulitzer and saw a mention of a great pastry shop that's very near, but couldn't find a name. I'm staying on a corporate rate so can't upgrade to exec room to get breakfast buffet and would rather save my expense account dollars for dinner. Any suggestions on some places close and inexpensive for breakfast? Pancake Bakery doesn't seem to open until noon. Thanks
Old Oct 4, 2004, 6:55 am

not sure about a pastry shop - however I found a great breakfast place about a two blocks away. Coming out of the hotel make a left - walk two blocks on the canal and make another left - it should be on your right. Overall - lots of good places around and the hotel is very helpful.

As for dinner - late night dining is a no no and you'll be hard pressed to find any place serving after 9:00 PM

Originally Posted by Chapel Hill Guy
Just read about 15 past threads on Pulitzer and saw a mention of a great pastry shop that's very near, but couldn't find a name. I'm staying on a corporate rate so can't upgrade to exec room to get breakfast buffet and would rather save my expense account dollars for dinner. Any suggestions on some places close and inexpensive for breakfast? Pancake Bakery doesn't seem to open until noon. Thanks
Old Oct 4, 2004, 7:49 am

Originally Posted by xmradioguy
not sure about a pastry shop - however I found a great breakfast place about a two blocks away. Coming out of the hotel make a left - walk two blocks on the canal and make another left - it should be on your right. Overall - lots of good places around and the hotel is very helpful.

As for dinner - late night dining is a no no and you'll be hard pressed to find any place serving after 9:00 PM
Thanks for the info. Interesting about dinner time, as in most European cities the locals eat late so if you show up early it's just you and all the other tourists. Must be that Dutch no-nonsense sensibility.
Old Oct 4, 2004, 7:50 am

Programs: Affiliated with all, participate in some
Albert Heijn market around the corner on the tram line street across from Westerkerk. Open everyday except Sunday.
Old Oct 4, 2004, 8:09 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

The breakfast buffet at the Pulitzer is nothing great. We ate the buffet one day and found it to be mediocre at best. I am not sure what place xmradioguy is talking about but if you turn left out of the hotel and walk down about a block or two there was a great little shop that served breakfast. Wish I could remember the name. I had omelette with tomatoes and it cheap and yummy!
Old Oct 4, 2004, 5:17 pm

I have determined:

The best shawarma in town: Benjamin. Go out, make a right, make a right at the first corner, go a couple blocks. It's before Dam Square. Open really late.

Best Falafel: Maoz. Just outside Amsterdam Centraal Station. The falafel is TDF - best falafels I have ever had.

When in Amsterdam, 50% of my meals are either shawarma or falafel. Sad, yes, but the fastest food in town!
Old Oct 4, 2004, 6:01 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
One of the good pastry shops is on the street right next to the hotel. Turn left walking out the front door. Take the first left and it will be on your right. There is another one another a block or two down the road -- again turn left walking out the front door of the hotel, but walk straight down, along the canal, one or two blocks, if memory serves, and it is on the corner.

Walk around for a few minutes -- you'll have plenty of options.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.