Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Hotel Pulitzer, Amsterdam 1999 - 2007 [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hotel Pulitzer, Amsterdam 1999 - 2007 [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8, 2003, 2:42 pm

Programs: STARS/LUMINOUS, PRIVE, FSPP, STARS, MO FAN Club, PEN Club, Bellini Club
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by PremEx:
And not just high end schemes are ignored by some either. The other afternoon I was at a Subway Sandwich shop where they give out a stamp for every sandwich you buy. 8 gets you a freebie. This businessman was picking up a huge order (probably for an office luncheon or something) and the clerk tried to hand him this big roll of stamps, probably enough for 4 or 5 free sandwiches, at least! The businessman asked what they were for, the clerk told him, and he just handed them back saying, "No thanks. I don't have time to mess with this kinda thing." The lady standing next to him in line (probably a FlyerTalker ) quickly chirped up and said, "Take them and give them to me!" He did. Dang! She beat me to it!
</font>
Funny PremEx, I was on the phone with girlfriend just a minute ago discussing the subway thing. She saw a Subway card laying on my desk with only one stamp and was telling me how she got me 2 additional stamps while I was away. I just arrived home earlier today and like a good FTer had noticed the additional stamps and was all bewildered where they came from. Anyway, she went on to say that Subways in CA are stingy with the stamps and they were simply offered when she lived in MN.
Old Aug 8, 2003, 2:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Anyway, she went on to say that Subways in CA are stingy with the stamps and they were simply offered when she lived in MN.</font>
I can't tell you how many I've dined at in California (and all over the U.S.), but I've yet to find one that didn't give them to you if asked whenever you purchase at least a 6 inch sub. Some location's "cards" require more stamps than others for the freebie. In Texas for example, the Subways I've visited there have cards that require 10 stamps for a freebie (instead of 8). I think it's up to the individual Franchisee how many are required, but I never met a Subway Shop anywhere that didn't offer them. I'm not saying there aren't any, but I've never found one.

All this talk is making me hungry, so back to topic, whatever that was!
Old Aug 8, 2003, 7:16 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Shareholder:
European hotels tend to favour their regular customers even if they are not elites in affiliate programs like SPG.</font>

While probably true, I have to say that I have always gotten upgrades at the Pulitzer - from my first stay there.

I really do think they focus on "best room available" here... I've never found them to be "stingy" w/SPG benefits.

Maybe its a timing issue... or the hotel is really packed?
Old Aug 8, 2003, 10:20 pm
Commander Catcop

Ah... The Pultizer

The first time I stayed there I got a pretty nice room I think in the back of the hotel. It was a good stay and I especially enjoyed "the Tourist" boat cruise.

The second time was the charm. If you can try to get one of those upstairs attic rooms (staying alone or with someone.) PremEx's room 105 was great, but I have a special love for my room 520. Spacious, The high ceilings, furnishings, sunk in tub, the nice view of the canal, the birds nest in the roof!

So I guess I'm 2 for 2 on upgrades. Next time I go will ask for the attic room again and hopefully get it.

It's a charming hotel. There's a nice bar with a very personable bartender and a cozy corner window where you can smoke your fine Habanos in peace.

Hope upgrades here come to you all soon.
Old Aug 8, 2003, 10:44 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, too many others
Re: repeat customers vs. status holders - if the hotel is a luxury Starwood, though guests may not stay frequently enough to get Plat, their spend per stay combined with repeat customer status with that hotel may be significant enough to justify preferential treatment. Tough to argue that they should be treated worse than someone who hits status by staying at a bunch of other properties.
Old Oct 2, 2003, 10:01 am
CKL

Amsterdam Sheraton Pulitzer, another Platinum Review... sort of

I booked a room for my sister and her man with the 25% point redemtion. The stay was for last Saturday night (September 27th, 2003).

I had to book on-line for the 25% discount. I contacted the Platinum Concierge to have my sisters name added to the reservation. In order to do this(and not screw up the discounted ressie), she faxed the info to the hotel directly. I armed my sis with all phone numbers/membership numbers etc just in case of difficulty checking in.

Here is their review - please note that I am plat, she is not.. but they treated her as if I that was staying there...

"I went to the Pulitzer link you gave me, but was unsuccessful in finding out what "room type" we had. I know we stayed in room 501 on the fifth floor. ( The top floor of the building.) The furniture and ammenities were the same as in the pictures with a few exceptions. Our fruit and wine tray was much bigger the room itself looked nothing like a typical hotel room as the picture had depicted. The room had vaulted ceilings, all wood, and gave you a feeling that you were staying in the attic - but not in a negative way. I believe we had wood floors, and the view was overlooking the canal, but was limited. We had a king size bed, room safe, robes, an over abundance of towels, and bottled water. Minus the luggage misshap, the service was flawless and accomodating. The hotel bar was intimate, and the porter service was up to par ! - minus the luggage of course."

I had given her this below link to compare her room to - this is NOT the room that they stayed in, they describe a larger room. I *think* that they had an executive room.
http://www.e-traveller.net/lh738/tri...tay030430.html

Please note that their was a luggage issue. Apparently, they had stored their luggage... one of their bags was delivered to the wrong room - but it was recovered.

All in all, they had a great stay. They had stayed at the Rotterdam Westin the night before (same 25% discount situation) and were ugraded to a jr. suite. They loved the Westin, said that the location was great, the room was incredible.

Old Oct 2, 2003, 10:15 am

Programs: LH Sen // HH Dia; Bonvoy LTTE
I'm glad your sister liked the Pulitzer. IMO, this hotel is something special.

------------------
Pictures from hotel stays
Basic Hotel stays/nights/points calculator
Short overview: KLM FD, LH M&M
Old Oct 2, 2003, 10:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Have her take a look at this one to see if it looks familar:

http://members.aol.com/premexfiles/sherAMSvault.jpg

Old Oct 3, 2003, 10:49 am
CKL

She looked and says that is it - exactly!! Imagine that! Thanks PremEx!!

Old Oct 29, 2003, 3:49 pm

Sheraton Pulitzer - AMS

I am staying at this hotel next weekend. How would you suggest that I get from the airport to this hotel? Is a taxi very expensive, is there a train etc..?

Thank you.
Old Oct 29, 2003, 4:13 pm
Suspended

train is very easy.
Old Oct 29, 2003, 4:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
I would suggest a train to Centraal Station. From there, it is an easy but confusing walk if you aren't exactly sure where you are going. If the weather is very bad, I'd take a taxi from there (or if you are just overtired and disoriented). If its not, I'd walk, making sure you are walking down the right canal. A taxi from AMS will be very expensive. The train is just as fast and cheap. Once you get to the hotel and get your bearings, the Centrum of Amsterdam will be very easy to understand.
Old Oct 29, 2003, 5:54 pm
formerly known as CARTflagman

After you get off the plane, go towards the train station, just past all the shops outside the gates. The train station is in the airport so you don't have to go outside.

You will see the ticket counters for train tickets. Get a roundtrip if you plan on going back to the airport on the train, otherwise they will sell you a oneway ticket.

Get off at Centrum (Central Station) and get a cab. Believe me, it will be easier the first time you go to the Pulitzer. It is far from the most of the sites, about a 20-25 minute walk to the museums, but it is right next to the Ann Frank House.

Have fun, and if you don't want just a vague memory of your time in Amsterdam, do the coffee shops LAST!

CF
Old Oct 29, 2003, 6:47 pm

Remember this

If you can't have fun in Amsterdam, the problem is not Amsterdam
Old Oct 30, 2003, 12:03 pm

I would second (or third) or third what everyone else is saying -- train to CS and then walk or cab especially if you're on your own, it's the cheapest way.

Just so that you know, I've had an unusually high number of cheating taxi cab drivers in AMS. Make sure the tarif setting is on "1" when you're in the cab. They changed the way taxis work in Amsterdam a couple years back and ever since then it's gotten very very bad indeed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.