Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Official Peanut Gallery Thread

Search this Thread

Old May 8, 2011, 1:40 pm

Programs: AA Gold
New companies often do something brash and iconoclastic to set them apart from the established competition whether it's WN, Volkswagen, MTV, Motel 6, Dell or McDonald's. Then they reach middle-age, become more conservative, less willing to take chances, and begin to look more like the companies from which they once tried to differentiate themselves. Spirit and their ilk are the new WN.
Old May 8, 2011, 3:59 pm
Original Poster

nsx, I am really sorry that you felt it necessary to merge (which I translate into delete) my latest thread. It will certainly get lost with all the other things going on.

And the latest thread is really about this question: How successfully is WN merging the small quirky ethos that it grew up on with the large domestic trunk carrier it has become? Where are they meeting the challenges of who they are now and where are they falling short?

And isn't this the kind of discussion that FT'ers revel in and that WN would like to listen in on?
Old May 8, 2011, 4:11 pm

Programs: CO-PLT,Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Silver, AA ex Platinum, Avis 1st
Originally Posted by 707Flyer
yes, on the last DC-Chicago flight, we just broke out and sang the theme to "Hee Haw"

perhaps if we were more sophisticated, we'd pay a large premium to fly around the country on ancient 757s and RJs, but I think it would make us wise like you if we were able to watch a Jeff Smisek safety video before every takeoff
You already have paid a large premium to fly SW.
Old May 8, 2011, 4:15 pm

Programs: CO-PLT,Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Silver, AA ex Platinum, Avis 1st
Originally Posted by homeboy4
1) Your definition of "over the top" and FA's definition don't match. What you call "repeated attempts at" FAs might call "successful." (You continue to take the position that your view of the matter is the correct one.)
Orwaid's view is the correct one...
Old May 8, 2011, 4:17 pm

Originally Posted by ursine1
No. I was referring to the disastrous launch of the new RR 2.0 program, coupled with multiple customer-unfriendly policy changes. Followed by still-unresolved customer service and website technical issues, leading to an overburdened and often testy staff. Which is resulting in the subsequent significant loss of goodwill by once-loyal customers, who are expressing their displeasure to a now seemingly uncaring Southwest Airlines and looking elsewhere for their flight needs.
And...... Yet ONE more satisfied SW customer
Old May 8, 2011, 4:18 pm

Originally Posted by ACEDAD
If you don't like or fly SW, why do you bother posting in this forum?
Is this only a "Pro" SW forum? I think the majority on this thread despise SW as much as I do. You too will come around in time
Old May 8, 2011, 4:19 pm
Original Poster

rrz518 - the word "hijacked" referred to the exchanges between DontCallMeShirley and spineangel when the thread turned into appropriate places to put a carryon bag.

I actually think it was about then that all the threads got merged, throwing out the baby with the bathwater.
Old May 8, 2011, 4:24 pm

Originally Posted by jamesteroh
WN needs someone like Herbback. I useful like southwest when they were cheap, had a great re program and where on time. N now I only fly them on re tickets
Lots of SW lovers.....
Old May 8, 2011, 4:28 pm

Originally Posted by FlyerX
This interests me. I'm curious why a customer service rep would tell a customer something that isn't true, simply to appease him/her. Isn't this dangerous, to have us be told something that's not actually in practice? It would be especially risky in the arena of FT, where most fliers are extremely frequent fliers - not someone who flies a couple of times a year during the holidays when everything goes to hell anyway.

I'm not trying to add fuel to the fire - I'm genuinely curious why in-flight employees (whose daily tasks include face to face customer relations while on the clock) would not have the support of the company's public relations if what they're putting into practice is protocol. I don't understand all this stuff about overhead bins and whatnot, but on a large scale, this could be a very big deal.

As far as SW CS telling a caller whatever they want to hear, in my experience that's not been true. Unfortunately for me, I've been told other than what I thought was correct on a few occasions.
Great point! What I think we have all learned here is Dontcallmeshirley and EEmeraldskies follow their own set of rules. I wonder if Gary Kelly would appreciate all their good will they are spreading to one of the most read forum's by the business traveler.
Old May 8, 2011, 4:37 pm

Originally Posted by Orwaid
rrz518 - the word "hijacked" referred to the exchanges between DontCallMeShirley and spineangel when the thread turned into appropriate places to put a carryon bag.

I actually think it was about then that all the threads got merged, throwing out the baby with the bathwater.
The only reason the carry on topic came up here is EEmeraldskies brought it up by slamming me for taking a picture of, or one of her crew putting a "for flight attendant use only" sign up. Then stating how proud she was that she knew "I was the one on her flight". Had she never brought that up, I was over that issue, as it was over a year ago when that incident took place.
Old May 8, 2011, 5:44 pm

Southwest is known for the Kettles.. But ironic since they're usually not the least expensive airlines anymore.
Old May 8, 2011, 7:43 pm

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
(It's like a car wreck. I can't look away.)

It's almost like the fun we have over at TS/S.
Old May 8, 2011, 7:55 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
nsx, I am really sorry that you felt it necessary to merge (which I translate into delete) my latest thread. It will certainly get lost with all the other things going on.

And the latest thread is really about this question: How successfully is WN merging the small quirky ethos that it grew up on with the large domestic trunk carrier it has become? Where are they meeting the challenges of who they are now and where are they falling short?

And isn't this the kind of discussion that FT'ers revel in and that WN would like to listen in on?
1. Discussion of specific moderator actions violates FT rules. Consider yourself unofficially warned. I will allow a little slack because this is the Food Fight thread, but my patience is not unlimited, and I'm not being paid for my time handling this.

2. Yes, this is a good topic and I left it separate to see if it would avoid the Food Fight zone. It did not. You might want to try again in a few weeks after things have settled down, but if you toss chum into shark-infested waters, you can expect sharks to show up for dinner. I suggest instead that you try a narrowly focused discussion of one specific change. It's up to you to create and maintain a constructive conversation. It's not up to the moderators to control the sharks you enjoy observing. Put yourself in our shoes and you might see my point.

See point 1 above.

Originally Posted by DontCallMeShirley
just to be clear, this is not what happened.
See point 1 above.

Members should not expect to agree with every moderation decision. However these decisions are not on topic for public debate. That sort of post is forum pollution and that's why IMHO it's against the rules.

PM me if you have a constructive question about a moderation decision. I will read and respond, and I have been known to change my mind.

This thread is still an experiment, a place for people who love to hate Southwest to have a little more freedom to make disruptive posts. If reading these posts disturbs you, I strongly suggest that you avoid this thread, and that you especially avoid posting in this thread. The moderators will keep the rest of the forum fun to read.

Disruptive posts made outside this thread remain subject to traditional FT rules. They will drawing warnings and eventually suspensions as would other rule violations. During this phase of the experiment, disruptive posts in this thread will be either tolerated by the moderators or deleted. The tolerance threshold is likely to tighten over time, because people have been pretty nasty here. Those people should count themselves lucky that the moderators have not had the time to act systematically on their violations of the rules.
Old May 8, 2011, 8:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by jasp25
Southwest is known for the Kettles.. But ironic since they're usually not the least expensive airlines anymore.
The kettle still love WN though. They are brainwashed by the WN ads of no checked bag fees, and don't realize they may be able to fly a legacy and pay the baggage fee and still fly cheaper in some cases.

They were out in full force on my DEN/LAX flight thursday morning. Whole bunch of them flying to see Mickey
Old May 8, 2011, 8:52 pm

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by jasp25
I prefer the term "travel naive."

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.