Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Official Peanut Gallery Thread

Search this Thread

Old May 14, 2011, 6:53 pm

Programs: CO-PLT,Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Silver, AA ex Platinum, Avis 1st
Originally Posted by UnitedEF
That's interesting because according to this site
WN's planes are OLDER than UA's "anceint" 75's by 5 years. UA was in the process of reupholstering a bunch of their 75's with leather seats and after they were done they looked and felt great. I think they are finished now because I haven't had a cloth F seat on a 752 in a very long time. Even if they weren't finished, I am usually distracted by the movie that's playing. Between that and a few complimentary cocktails and meal service one doesn't really notice On some of the routes that I fly that have RJ service it's served with Ex + so 6 F seats and Economy plus. I haven't missed an upgrade on those ever. No IFE but neither does WN and the F seats are just as comfortable as those on the mainline aircraft. Anybody want anything while I am up?
WOW!, what a great site, out of all of these regional, domestic, international airlines, SW comes out on top again, ranked #3 as the airline with the OLDEST fleet. (out of 72 airlines) WAY to go SW!!! ^

Now what excuse do the SW luvers have for this ranking?? It has compared your touted "regional short haul airlines", your "domestic " airlines, even international airlines..... Granted it wasn't in "consumer Reports"

LOL

Average Fleet Age for Selected Airlines
The following links will go to detailed airline fleet age information compiled by AirFleets.net. The AirFleets.net data also breaks down aircraft age by aircraft model within that airline's fleet.

United States and Canada
AirTran
Alaska Airlines
American Airlines
American Eagle
Southeast Airlines
Air Canada
Comair (Delta Connection)
Air Wisconsin
Colgan Air
Continental Airlines
Delta Airlines-------- 14.7 years
Expressjet
Frontier Airlines
Horizon Air
Jazz Air -------------16 years
JetBlue Airways
Mesaba
Mesa Airlines
Pinnacle Airlines
PSA (US Airways Express)
Skywest
Southwest Airlines ------ 14.3 years
United Airlines
US Airways

Europe
Aeroflot
Air France
Alitalia
British Airways
Finnair
Iberia
KLM
Lufthansa
Ryanair
SAS
THY Turkish Airlines

Latin America
Aeromexico
Avianca
COPA Airlines
GOL Transportes Aereos
TAM

Asia and Pacific
AirAsia
Air China
Air India
Air New Zealand
All Nippon Airways
Asiana Airlines
Cathay Pacific
China Airlines
China Eastern Airlines
China Southern Airlines
EVA Airways
Garuda
Hainan Airlines
Japan Airlines
Jetstar
Korean Air
Malaysia Airlines
Pakistan International Airlines--------------- 14.7 years
Qantas
Shanghai Airlines
Shenzhen Airlines
Thai Airways
Vietnam Airlines
Xiamen Airlines

Africa and Middle East
EgyptAir
El Al
Emirates
Etihad
Ethiopian Airlines
Qatar Airways
Royal Air Maroc
Saudi Arabian Airlines
South African Airways

Last edited by spineangel; May 14, 2011 at 7:03 pm
Old May 14, 2011, 7:03 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by spineangel
Your talkin bout SW, right?????
Yes.
Old May 14, 2011, 11:23 pm

Exactly...Exactly.... Exactly
The only thing SW has is the no-change fee and companian pass. Both of which Gary Kelly will be changing.. Wait and see.........
They also fly a lot of routes -- especially short routes -- not covered by other airlines. You talk all the time about competitors like AA or CO. But quite often, there simply is no alternative to WN if you want to fly nonstop to your destination.
Old May 15, 2011, 4:40 am

Programs: CO-PLT,Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Silver, AA ex Platinum, Avis 1st
Originally Posted by suranyi
They also fly a lot of routes -- especially short routes -- not covered by other airlines. You talk all the time about competitors like AA or CO. But quite often, there simply is no alternative to WN if you want to fly nonstop to your destination.
I connect, even with extended layover to avoid the SW circus. Or rent a car...
Old May 15, 2011, 12:36 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Delta Kryptonium Medallion, National Executive
+1
I think that is a lot of the basis for many WN loyalists. In many cases, no legacy carriers provide a NS option; thus making the tolerance for WNs eccentric quirks tolerable.
Old May 15, 2011, 12:44 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by plagwate
But with the merger, WN will soon be flying into Branson, MO. Now THAT'S hillbilly country.
Agreed. That's banjo country to the max...
Old May 15, 2011, 12:48 pm

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
WN's planes are OLDER than UA's "anceint" 75's by 5 years. UA was in the process of reupholstering a bunch of their 75's with leather seats and after they were done they looked and felt great. I think they are finished now because I haven't had a cloth F seat on a 752 in a very long time. Even if they weren't finished, I am usually distracted by the movie that's playing. Between that and a few complimentary cocktails and meal service one doesn't really notice On some of the routes that I fly that have RJ service it's served with Ex + so 6 F seats and Economy plus. I haven't missed an upgrade on those ever. No IFE but neither does WN and the F seats are just as comfortable as those on the mainline aircraft. Anybody want anything while I am up?
I've always liked the 752's. The larger F cabin makes for attractive upgrade probabilities even when you drop down to mid-tier. That said, I typically only see those on longer routes where I wouldn't be likely to fly WN to begin with...at that point, my choice becomes UA or AA. So far, UA is still winning that decision more often than not. UA 752 > AA Mad Dog, in either cabin, any day of the week.
Old May 16, 2011, 1:05 am

Programs: AA Plat 2MM+, HHonors, Amtrak GuestRewards
+1. They've successfully dominated intra-California flying, so earlier options--like AS Bay Area-SoCal--no longer exist. Hello, WN!

OTOH, WN's model limits where it can go, so frequently they simply don't fly to a destination. I can't get to EUG or Medford on WN, multiple stops or no. As with many things, an airline's utility can be specific to a particular traveler's needs.
Old May 16, 2011, 5:36 pm

I connect, even with extended layover to avoid the SW circus. Or rent a car...
Well, I guess those are your priorities. Mine is to get where I'm going.
Old May 17, 2011, 8:49 am

I rent cars to avoid DL. (Example: MCI-MSP.)

If there's any of UA, AA, or WN, I'd rather fly. (Example: MCI-CHI or -DAL/DFW.)
Old May 17, 2011, 9:06 am

Programs: SWA RR, CO One Pass, TAM Fidelidade, HA Miles, DL Skymiles, KLM Flying Blue
Oh i get it now.

The "Business Traveler" are leaving SW is because their planes are old.

I understand now.
Old May 17, 2011, 9:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
WN's planes are OLDER than UA's "anceint" 75's by 5 years.
That site shows the UA 757 fleet with an average age of 17.4 years. Care to try again? Planespotters.net shows age by hull. The great mass of UA 757s was delivered between 1989 and 1993. Every WN 757-500 (let alone 737-700) was delivered after 1989. Only about 30 WN 737-300s were delivered before 1989. Any argument that suggests the UA-origin 757 fleet on average isn't old will fail.

http://www.planespotters.net/Product...57-200&sort=dd

Last edited by 3Cforme; May 17, 2011 at 9:09 am Reason: added planespotters.net UA 757 link
Old May 17, 2011, 10:27 am

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Agreed!

Despite an opposing view above a WN NS beats a connect anywhere, all else being even.

Even a WN one stop direct beats a connect anywhere.

Heck, a WN direct with TWO stops beats a connect in DFW, CLT, ORD, DTW, IAH, EWR, CVG, MSP and others.

And almost every WN connection in the smaller airports beats any connection in the cities above.
Old May 17, 2011, 10:30 am

99+ percent of travelers can't tell you how old the plane they're on is.

Nobody outside of a select few travel geeks cares.

I mean, until you start talking about those old Northwest DC-9's. Has Delta retired those things yet? I was on one a year or two ago that was built in Kitty Hawk in about 1910. Duct tape was holding it together... Seriously, donate them to museums already.
Old May 17, 2011, 2:01 pm

The bus

This is why you shouldn't use the BUS when flying...

Only reason for me to use the bus when traveling is to be able to step off where ever I want to and Southwest doesn't allow that...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.