Official Peanut Gallery Thread

Old May 6, 2011, 3:18 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Delta Kryptonium Medallion, National Executive
**grabs a drink and pops some popcorn**
Gurl, this is gettin good!
Old May 6, 2011, 3:43 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
There's obviously some event that took place here between Emeraldskies and spineangel that seems deeply personal and should probably not be hashed out on this board.

However, if you choose to do so, I hope plagwate has enough popcorn to share.
Old May 6, 2011, 4:04 pm

Programs: CO-PLT,Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Silver, AA ex Platinum, Avis 1st
Originally Posted by pinniped
There's obviously some event that took place here between Emeraldskies and spineangel that seems deeply personal and should probably not be hashed out on this board.

Maybe "Kettle" corn is in order^
Old May 6, 2011, 4:16 pm

Programs: Frequent Flyer
Originally Posted by spineangel
And.... your senior management informed me YOU were completely out of line AND going against company policy by putting a ridiculous home-made sign up on the prime forward-cabin overheads that said "for flight attendant use only".
Obviously you didn't talk to inflight management (again). You continue to talk to customer service who is misguided on inflight rules for FA luggage and it's stowage. IF you had talked to inflight management you would have been advised that those signs are company issued (not homemade) and are on EVERY aircraft. No need for private messaging, I'm done with Spineangel and his petty war, threats and misinformation when it comes to FA's and their proper, company approved luggage stowage on the aircraft.

Ask an FA to show you the company made signs next time you fly SW. Oh wait, you don't do that anymore.
Old May 6, 2011, 7:46 pm

Maybe "Kettle" corn is in order^
^^^
If you can't say anything nice, sit by me. Spineangel, I saved you a seat.
Old May 6, 2011, 7:50 pm

This is one show where I will tolerate the middle seat. Please join us, Pinniped.
Old May 6, 2011, 8:05 pm

Programs: DL PM, SW, Hilton, , UAL PM, AA Gold-skeptic
Originally Posted by Orwaid
DontCallMeShirley - So if I understand you correctly all of the topics being discussed on Flyertalk should not be brought up, because after all, in the grand scheme of things, they are not important?

I was taught by my mother and father, and I taught my kids, to not try to force one's views onto another. But at the same time, do not let other people force their agenda onto oneself either.

So, to answer your question, if my child was the FA I had, I would be upset and would tell them. And if my child was the FA that told off-color jokes (as was mentioned by another poster), I would be mortified.

I don't make moans or sighs or any other gutteral noises if there are irrops. I recognize that such things do occur and are a regular part or traveling.

And I have repeatedly said that a joke or two is fine. But when it goes on and on and on, at the crack of dawn and no one is responding, they are pleasing themselves at the passenger's expense.

And I am an optimist. A pessimist would would just take it because they think there is no alternative. An optimist knows that things can and will get better, and will do what it takes to make things better.

homeboy4 -- I am not skirting the issue at all. I and many others on this thread feel that sometimes the joketelling by FAs becomes excessive. Why can't WN just tell FA's to limit the non-safety remarks to one or two jokes? In my case, I expected one or two. But when it became 4,5,6 ... it was almost like the FA wanted the safety briefing to last as long as it took to get to the active runway.

But to take your postulated numbers, if WN senior mangagement knew that 1/3of passengers thought there was excessive joketelling on their flights and that it was negatively impacting their choosing WN for air travel, they would do something about it.

And yes FluffyBunnyFuFu, I seemed to have opened Pandora's box here. But over 4K views in one week should tell people that this is a serious topic with serious ramifications, even if one does not agree with how I handled it.
To summarize:

I, I, I, I, I, I, I, I, I, ad infinitum.

You are truly a magnificent hero. Thanks for sharing.

Sheesh.
Old May 6, 2011, 11:36 pm
Original Poster

DontCallMeSHirley ("DCMS") and rrz518 -

You can go on and on trying to make this issue a personal one about me, but the fact remains that there are a lot of people that feel the way I do, and more and more of them are posting here.

Your best arguments against what I am suggesting WN consider are to:

1) Suggest I am stupid

2) Suggest I am not teaching my kids well

3) Suggest I am about me only ("I,I,I..."). When you repeatedly try to slander me and not even try to rationally debate the topic, of course I have to respond in the first person.

DCMS and rrz518 -- if your previous posts are your best attempts at debating an issue, who is Ron White REALLY talking about?

Indyscott -- Repeating my earlier posts, it seems reasonable to tell a couple of jokes during the safety briefing and maybe another one after landing. And OK, if a FA is really jonesing to tell another one inflight, fine. I still think that allows for the humor that you consider part of the brand without subjecting the passengers to endless drivel.
Old May 6, 2011, 11:55 pm

Programs: AA Plat 2MM+, HHonors, Amtrak GuestRewards
Is this thread even about Southwest? Seems like it's really about getting together in an aluminum tube with 100+ possible mouthbreathers, and perhaps those occasions when we see someone headed down the aisle and say to ourselves "please, not this seat."

Most of us have been on That Flight with the person who will not stop talking, even when we pretend sudden loss of consciousness/possible medical emergency/scary antisocial tendencies, or the group that seems to have taken a wrong turn on the way to the restroom from their thrilling drunken frat party, and hey, now we can all enjoy! What is Natty Light, anyway? How did that crowd make it past the GA?

Not being a morning person, I sympathize with people annoyed by perky jokes at 6 am. And as someone who gets some of my best work done late at night, I sometimes wish for some of that humor when the cabin crew is instead cranking up the heat and people are sleeping, or on those afternoon return flights from Vegas when much of the cabin is groaning with hangovers. "Hey, where's the singing," I think. "And can we raise those window shades? It's so dark!"

I'll be off the plane soon enough, and free of my fellow passengers and crew, not counting any airborne communicable diseases I've picked up, a sort of parting gift. I won't have to wonder why the FA served me hot tea in a leaky styrofoam cup (conveniently, yet tragically without comment placed in a non-thermal plastic cup certain unsuspecting passengers may have assumed was for the tea bag). The burns will soon be better, and if I want jokes, I can turn to late-night TV.
Old May 7, 2011, 12:21 am
Original Poster

Hayden -- this thread is about Southwest and a FA that thinks it is OK to tell 5 or 6 jokes in a 5 minute (or less) span from when the door closes at 6:00AM to just before the plane takes the active runway.

Other airlines go through the safety briefing, then turn down the lights until after takeoff. Oh that I could have been so lucky.

And you describe plenty of horror situations. Let me add a SYD-LAX nonstop with everyone drinking the whole way. Plenty of fun there too.

But what do you do when it is the FA that is so into his shtick that it overrides common sense (as described quite well by luvfa in earlier posts)?
Old May 7, 2011, 8:19 am

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Orwaid
But what do you do when it is the FA that is so into his shtick that it overrides common sense (as described quite well by luvfa in earlier posts)?
Orwaid lecturing about common sense...that's rich.
Old May 7, 2011, 9:17 am

Programs: DL PM, SW, Hilton, , UAL PM, AA Gold-skeptic
orwaid lecturing about common sense...that's rich.
i, i, i, i, i, i, i, i, ......
Old May 7, 2011, 9:20 am

Programs: CO-PLT,Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Silver, AA ex Platinum, Avis 1st
Originally Posted by Eemraldskies
Obviously you didn't talk to inflight management (again). You continue to talk to customer service who is misguided on inflight rules for FA luggage and it's stowage. IF you had talked to inflight management you would have been advised that those signs are company issued (not homemade) and are on EVERY aircraft. No need for private messaging, I'm done with Spineangel and his petty war, threats and misinformation when it comes to FA's and their proper, company approved luggage stowage on the aircraft.

Ask an FA to show you the company made signs next time you fly SW. Oh wait, you don't do that anymore.
Obviously... you have no idea who I talked to. Funny, how if what you say is true, and those silly little signs are on every aircraft, why are you the only one that hangs them up? In 2009 I flew SW 127 segments, never saw this till your flight. And the person I spoke with (initials J.R.), did speak with your referenced "inflight management", and they said the rules for your personal luggage was just as I have previously stated. "only luggage containing the in-flight manual should be in the forward OHB". AND that "inflight mngmnt" knew nothing of your "company issued" little sign, which according to "inflight mngmnt", should not be used by their stewardess's, and would certainly cease such use.
But, like you said, I am also done with you, and because of your little childish episode, SW lost a pretty good revenue producing customer, that spent on average $25,000 per year.
And if these signs were actually "company isuued", why were you so concerned as to why I was taking a picture of it????
Kinda makes that little ol sign a bit more valuable now, doesn't it?
Old May 7, 2011, 9:30 am

Originally Posted by DontCallMeShirley
But I do remember in your previous posts that you weren't happy with ANY bags up there in the "PRIME" OHB space, so I suppose the CS dept still didn't give you what you wanted.
No... They stated these OHB's were for their CUSTOMERS use. Where would you suggest the bulkhead customers, usually your higher paying "business select" customers stow their luggage? That is why SW HQ's stated to me that your rules are: only bag containing your in-flight manual should be in the forward OHB's, for immediate access, and that your personal luggage should be stowed at the back of the aircraft, as you are not allowed to de-plane until all of your paying customers have de-planed. They stated that when you stow your personal bag in these forward OHB's, it takes up space they would prefer be saved for customers. The only reason you put your personal luggage there, is laziness. Is walking ALL the way to the back of the plane to fetch your luggage, really that far?
All of your competitive airlines FA's do exactly what your rules state you should be doing.
Old May 7, 2011, 9:30 am

But, like you said, I am also done with you, and because of your little childish episode, SW lost a pretty good revenue producing customer, that spent on average $25,000 per year.
spineangel lecturing about childish episodes...that's rich.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.