Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Official Peanut Gallery Thread

Search this Thread

Old May 8, 2011, 10:54 am

Programs: WN A-List, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by spineangel
And... who are the readers/subscribers of Consumer Reports? Exactly the type SW caters to, the hillbilly's and senior folks. Lets see how they rate when a business publication rates service of airlines......

If you don't like or fly SW, why do you bother posting in this forum?
Old May 8, 2011, 10:55 am

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
I suppose Boeing only makes SW aircraft? Normal airlines have a maintenance department that inspects for those type problems and spend the $$$$ to fix them prior to loading their customers.
I certainly hope you don't really believe that.

This was clearly an unknown problem that no airline was testing for.
Old May 8, 2011, 10:59 am

Programs: Deciding Which Airline to Fly in 2012
Exactly the type SW caters to, the hillbilly's and senior folks.
yes, on the last DC-Chicago flight, we just broke out and sang the theme to "Hee Haw"

perhaps if we were more sophisticated, we'd pay a large premium to fly around the country on ancient 757s and RJs, but I think it would make us wise like you if we were able to watch a Jeff Smisek safety video before every takeoff
Old May 8, 2011, 11:02 am

Originally Posted by hat attack
If you're referring to the hole in the fuselage incident, I don't know how that relates. The NTSA and Boeing have determined that the hole was caused by a Boeing manufacturing defect.
No. I was referring to the disastrous launch of the new RR 2.0 program, coupled with multiple customer-unfriendly policy changes. Followed by still-unresolved customer service and website technical issues, leading to an overburdened and often testy staff. Which is resulting in the subsequent significant loss of goodwill by once-loyal customers, who are expressing their displeasure to a now seemingly uncaring Southwest Airlines and looking elsewhere for their flight needs.
Old May 8, 2011, 11:08 am

Originally Posted by GottaLuvCruising

Let's get back to basics and be who we are...low fares, flexible policies, positive upbeat atmosphere, great rewards.
I agree with everything you said. But the part above is *never* going to happen. Low fares are gone. Policies are evolving into less customer-freindly with every change. The positive atmosphere is harder to create when you're pissing off your loyal flyers. And RR 2.0 did away with great rewards. This is the new Southwest, and management is dedicated to making sure it's here to stay. They're misguided but they're in charge. What remains to be seen is if they'll eventually kill SWA or not.
Old May 8, 2011, 11:23 am
Original Poster

Texashoser -- this is not another joke thread. This goes way beyond that to the general sense that WN is eroding those things that made WN a quirky, yet reasonable way to fly. The notion of Herb's values turning into Gary's values is an interesting one.

Could it also be that just maybe when an airline gets to a certain size they start to all act the same with only a little individuality around the edges?

DontCallMeSHirley, you have tendency with each post to try to move it to extremes as well as attribute things to posters that simply are not true, at least in my case. I am talking about a general sense of negative change away from what WN used to be (and still holds itself out as). I never said the end was near for WN, you did. And I could point out many other examples of this.

Maybe you and spineangel could just take your squabble somewhere else?

To your other thoughts -- here in the Pacific NW it is rainy and cool again. Been that way all spring it seems. And I am sorry you are not feeling well.
Old May 8, 2011, 11:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
WN needs someone like Herbback. I useful like southwest when they were cheap, had a great re program and where on time. N now I only fly them on re tickets
Old May 8, 2011, 11:41 am

ursine1
No. I was referring to the disastrous launch of the new RR 2.0 program, coupled with multiple customer-unfriendly policy changes.
OK, I didn't remember the date of the fuselage incident, but realized your comment was possibly a reference to the launch of new RR 2.0 program.

Hope the Air Tran integration helps move things forward in the IT area.

Last edited by hat attack; Apr 21, 2018 at 7:00 pm
Old May 8, 2011, 11:55 am

Originally Posted by DontCallMeShirley
You can cling to your so called correspondence with CS department and call that truth because it favors your side (and even that is reaching). When in fact it is not correct, and I know that because I practice it everyday. I follow procedure. CS in many companies try to appease you. I am sure you know this as I am sure you have issues with many hardworking companies that have to suffer the wrath of you. They often tell you what you want to hear. For the most part, the customer feels better and moves on.
This interests me. I'm curious why a customer service rep would tell a customer something that isn't true, simply to appease him/her. Isn't this dangerous, to have us be told something that's not actually in practice? It would be especially risky in the arena of FT, where most fliers are extremely frequent fliers - not someone who flies a couple of times a year during the holidays when everything goes to hell anyway.

I'm not trying to add fuel to the fire - I'm genuinely curious why in-flight employees (whose daily tasks include face to face customer relations while on the clock) would not have the support of the company's public relations if what they're putting into practice is protocol. I don't understand all this stuff about overhead bins and whatnot, but on a large scale, this could be a very big deal.

As far as SW CS telling a caller whatever they want to hear, in my experience that's not been true. Unfortunately for me, I've been told other than what I thought was correct on a few occasions.
Old May 8, 2011, 11:57 am

Programs: DL PM, SW, Hilton, , UAL PM, AA Gold-skeptic
Originally Posted by GottaLuvCruising
Hang it up OP! How many times must you bring this up? You are NOT the majority. Where is the "ignore" feature on this board?
^

Also, "hijacked" is (once again) a poor choice of words. The thread was effectively shut down, which really should have been done after the first post due to bad taste.
Old May 8, 2011, 11:59 am

Programs: DL PM, SW, Hilton, , UAL PM, AA Gold-skeptic
Your funny as well, stating the crew is allowed to deplane before your passengers do. But since you have your own set of rules, you do probably bust out first. After all you are a FA. Why should the customer come first?
Wow that's rude. No wonder the thread was neutered.
Old May 8, 2011, 12:12 pm

Originally Posted by sctn8gp
seems to me wn is burning through it's reputation and on some kind of mission to p i s s everyone off nowadays. customer unfriendly changes are becoming a regular thing. i already get a sense of "missing the good ole days".
Perspective?

I emailed SWA CS a couple of weeks ago about a Rapid Rewards question. I usually call them, but decided to send an email this time because it was non-urgent. I didn't realize you are required to submit your full address and phone number as well as an email address. I really don't like this, because I'm the sort of person who called them to ask them to stop sending me birthday cards a few years ago . But I filled it out anyway.

That night, I received multiple phone calls in the span of an hour from an 800 number. I have an Eastern time zone area code, and by that time zone, it was between 11:30 PM and 12:30AM. Fortunately, I was in California at the time and having a late dinner with a friend, but after hitting "ignore" at the restaurant 4 times, I finally took the call. I asked the CS agent to please send me an email because 1) I'm with someone, 2) I'm having dinner, 3) I'm in a restaurant and it's noisy and I'd have to weave through a crowded area to get outside and 4) I only answered this call because I thought it might be some kind of emergency but since it's not, I really can't talk right now, but he didn't want to do that... and launched a long winded answer to the question I had submitted over email.

While this kind of earnestness is appreciated (I guess), I don't understand why the multiple calls late at night. It's stalker ex behavior and I thought the whole thing was very very WEIRD.
Old May 8, 2011, 12:36 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, SWA CP
Originally Posted by Orwaid
No one has been able to tell me why WN FA's couldn't limit themselves to just one or two jokes during the safety briefing and perhaps another one when the plane lands.
I tried, but apparently you missed it. So, please put yourself in the shoes of the WN employee who must write and enforce the "policy" you propose.

What would the policy say? How would you enforce it? What would the consequences be for an employee who violates of it? Also please remember when authoring your policy, it must be in keeping with stated corporate mission and culture (of which, some of the tenets are "Have FUN", "Don't take yourself too seriously", and "Enjoy your work").
Old May 8, 2011, 1:31 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
In the interest of keeping the forum pleasant for readers, I have merged three recent threads into this one. Further attempts to jailbreak these food fights will be summarily deleted, because I really don't have time for any more nonsense. They will also draw an official warning or, for anyone who has already received an official warning, they will draw a suspension.

If I had a lot more time I could have attempted to sort things out better and I could have nipped this earlier. I apologize to everyone for that. This is the best I can do under the circumstances.
Old May 8, 2011, 1:35 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Good point, as long as dontcallmesilly or EEmerilskys is not on the flight.
Make that 4 recent threads. Sheesh.

That personal attack caused me to move this thread to Food Fight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.