Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Official Peanut Gallery Thread

Search this Thread

Old May 8, 2011, 6:10 am

It sure looks that way.
Old May 8, 2011, 6:29 am

Programs: UA (lame duck)1K, US Plat,HHonors Diamond, PC Plat, SPG Plat, MR Platinum
I have seen said sign twice... Been a while but since I generally only fly MHT-PHL-MHT or MHT-BWI-MHT with a few exceptions that's all I can give for specifics. However I do remember seeing it. (didn't look hand made) Based on this spat I suspect truth lies somewhere in the middle and the petty name-calling and childish behavior by the parties involved is boring.

Maybe a respected SWA guy like SWABrian could give us clarification on this rule/policy (can't say I care but it would be an interesting way to put this to bed)
Old May 8, 2011, 6:40 am

Programs: UA (lame duck)1K, US Plat,HHonors Diamond, PC Plat, SPG Plat, MR Platinum
Originally Posted by Orwaid;16346814
[B
In an effort to keep it civil, I apologize for previously offending some people posting here.[/B]

Now, can anyone explain the following:

1) Why do so many WN FAs feel the need to be so over the top when it come to their repeated attempts at inflight humor?
The fact you're saying it is "over the top" is rather subjective. I suspect they don't agree with you so therefore don't feel the jokes are inappropriate.

It was a mere 3 years ago when I went from casual traveler to weekly. I found the jokes and WN humor refreshing. I hate airline CS in general as with most any legacy or airline the "majority" of GA's, FA's etc seem miserable, unhappy and often lucky if customers get a legitimate smile. There are exceptions but overall the CS in airlines suck and the levels of sucktitude only vary as compared to most service businesses.

Now that I fly constantly the WN jokes have gotten boring and lame but I think back to when I didn't hear them so regulary and shrug my shoulders and say "whatever," because at least their entertaining and making some customers happy or more relaxed.

As was said previously, they cater to the casual traveler.. (Most around here like to call those folks old and fat or kettles or whatever name calling they choose because their flying status has made them more important to the remaining herds of the human race )
2) Why was this issue so polarizing? To quote an earlier poster, I "opened Pandora's Box" with the earlier thread. Opinions were as visceral as any I have seen here, to the point where WN FA's thought it was OK to launch personal attacks on multiple posters. And some of them responding in kind.

Again, you seem to give way more credence to your opinion then to the facts. Very subjective that "the issue" was the jokes and that the "jokes" were polarizing. Although it draws up controversy because I think many found your offensive response to it rude and arrogant and felt your continued posts remained rude and arrogant with no real ability to see that others have opinions and yours is the "important" or the "most accurate" etc.

I don't think the issue is anywhere near as controversial as you suggest. The way you post and present your opinions draws people's ire. I realize that is my subjective opinion - it could be wrong, but I somehow doubt it as it relates to the "attacks" you received.
Old May 8, 2011, 7:01 am

Programs: Deciding Which Airline to Fly in 2012
Originally Posted by Orwaid
From too many jokes (my peeve)
WN FAs have been telling jokes since the early 70s, don't see how they would suddenly create "rising" dissatisfaction.

There is definitely a little more regular airline attitude coming in with Gary's bean counters sucking the life out of some of Herb's legacy. But for the most part, it's still far better than flying around the country on RJs, or having to watch Jeff Smisek's narcissistic fits during the safety video.
Old May 8, 2011, 7:18 am

Programs: Deciding Which Airline to Fly in 2012
Why was this issue so polarizing?
Think it was less the issue of joke telling itself, but rather the socially awkward aspect of broadcasting your joke to the entire plane.
Old May 8, 2011, 8:01 am

Programs: WN Rapid Rewards, Delta Skymiles
I've occasionally seen the sign, but as someone who pre-boards and virtually always sits in the bulkhead row I can tell you that even without the sign that's where the FA bags are stored. If there is no room for my bag in there with theirs I just put it in the next bin back.
Old May 8, 2011, 8:02 am

Programs: CO-PLT,Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Silver, AA ex Platinum, Avis 1st
Originally Posted by jkburns1
I have seen said sign twice... Been a while but since I generally only fly MHT-PHL-MHT or MHT-BWI-MHT with a few exceptions that's all I can give for specifics. However I do remember seeing it. (didn't look hand made) Based on this spat I suspect truth lies somewhere in the middle and the petty name-calling and childish behavior by the parties involved is boring.

Maybe a respected SWA guy like SWABrian could give us clarification on this rule/policy (can't say I care but it would be an interesting way to put this to bed)
That would be a good idea. Either him or a CS rep at SW tell us, that it is perfectly within the guidelines (FAA & SW) for the FA to stuff the bulkhead OHB with ALL of their personal luggage, OR ONLY the luggage containg the in-flight manual. And whether SW condones the private use sign.
Old May 8, 2011, 8:06 am

Programs: CO-PLT,Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Silver, AA ex Platinum, Avis 1st
Originally Posted by normalone
I've occasionally seen the sign, but as someone who pre-boards and virtually always sits in the bulkhead row I can tell you that even without the sign that's where the FA bags are stored. If there is no room for my bag in there with theirs I just put it in the next bin back.
What do you do, if that 2nd OHB is full with other passengers bags? In all likelihood, you then are forced to find another seat. Kinda defeats the purpose of trying to get that bulkhead seat. But after all, the FA comes first at SW.....

Last edited by spineangel; May 8, 2011 at 8:07 am Reason: grammar
Old May 8, 2011, 8:23 am

So is it just me, or is there a rising amount of dissatisfaction on these threads over various aspects of "WN-style" service?
It's you.
Old May 8, 2011, 8:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
It's not the product, it's the pricing. You pay a premium to ride WN nowadays, not a discount -- even though they somehow hang onto the brand position of a low-fare airline.
Old May 8, 2011, 8:31 am

Programs: WN Rapid Rewards, Delta Skymiles
Originally Posted by spineangel
What do you do, if that 2nd OHB is full with other passengers bags? In all likelihood, you then are forced to find another seat. Kinda defeats the purpose of trying to get that bulkhead seat. But after all, the FA comes first at SW.....
It's not generally full because I pre-board. If the second bin is full with through passengers bags I put it further back and then return to my seat, or I ask the FA to help me find a spot. It's never been a problem.
Old May 8, 2011, 8:36 am

Originally Posted by normalone
It's not generally full because I pre-board. If the second bin is full with through passengers bags I put it further back and then return to my seat, or I ask the FA to help me find a spot. It's never been a problem.
Good point, as long as dontcallmesilly or EEmerilskys is not on the flight. That would be out of their jurisdiction to help a customer.
But then you have to wait till everyone gets off, before you can get back upstream to gather your bag.
Old May 8, 2011, 8:44 am

It was easier to put up with some of the silly WN-style things like stupid jokes when the non-silly WN things like unused funds transferability made up for it. As parts of the overall intrinsic "Southwest is different" it was easier to deal with the bad because there was also so much good. There's less good now , and that makes it harder to put up with the bad, and easier to mock the things that are simply silly.
Old May 8, 2011, 8:45 am

So is it just me, or is there a rising amount of dissatisfaction on these threads over various aspects of "WN-style" service?

From too many jokes (my peeve) to seat saving and other open seating problems to people jumping the boarding process to RR 2.0 complaints to FA's calling posters on FT all sorts of names to mods changing the name of a thread to "Food Fighting" (because that is what it reminded them of), does it seem like WN is having more issues than before?
EXACTLY!!!! That is why EEmerlsky and Dontcallmesilly are so upset. When the truth starts coming out, as evidenced in this forum, they are scared for their jobs. Especially when they can't cut it at those weird normal airlines.
SW days are numbered.... They are WAY overpriced and WAY under a respectable level of service
Old May 8, 2011, 8:47 am

Originally Posted by BearX220
It's not the product, it's the pricing. You pay a premium to ride WN nowadays, not a discount -- even though they somehow hang onto the brand position of a low-fare airline.
Another example of a satisfied customer

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.