Refund Processing Time!

Old May 4, 20, 4:12 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA - Bronze : HHonnors Gold : Hyatt Gold
Refund Processing Time!

Does anyone know how long itís taking Singapore Airlines to make refunds for cancelled flights?
I put in my claim last week for my June flights.
Old May 4, 20, 5:21 am

Programs: Mucci des canapes, Skywards Gold, BAEC Gold, IC Plat Amb, Accor Gold
I was told 4 weeks. That was more than 4 weeks ago and nothing yet. I will gather my strength to call them again later this week....
Old May 4, 20, 5:21 am

Programs: SQ:TPPS, Marriott: Titanium
I cancelled my May flight back in early April and was told it would take up to 3 months for refunds. Got mine in slightly less than a month. YMMV. In case you are wondering, SQ is not BA, it just got $5B capital infusion plus a new $3B credit line. They have plenty of cash so any delay is unlikely to be a cashflow problem . . . .
Gorcat, tbm13 and bitterproffit like this.

Last edited by williamluk; May 4, 20 at 5:27 am
Old May 4, 20, 5:26 am

The SQ website suggests that refunds may take up to 16 weeks and not to contact them until 4 months have passed since the request.
Gorcat, tbm13 and Aussienarelle like this.
Old May 4, 20, 6:03 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pomkiwi View Post
The SQ website suggests that refunds may take up to 16 weeks and not to contact them until 4 months have passed since the request.
Iíve just done an online Facebook/Messenger chat with a rep and they confirmed that they received my online submission a week ago, but they wonít be working on it yet, as my flights arenít until June, and to expect the process to be complete in about 16 weeks
bitterproffit likes this.
Old May 4, 20, 6:43 am

Just for data, my flight (redemption ticket) in mid March. Wasn't able to get them before the flight, and only got to them 1 week after and paid cancellation fee for the redemption. As of now (4 May), I've yet to receive the miles or taxes back (LHR ticket, so taxes were rather significant).
Old May 4, 20, 8:39 am

Followed up by phone today and essentially got a brush off - confirmed that I would get a refund but not prepared to give any indication when. Given that I first applied for a refund 7 weeks ago when they cancelled the flights, followed up by phone 4 weeks ago and have not even had the request confirmed in writing I have submitted a dispute with Amex.
Gorcat likes this.
Old May 4, 20, 8:46 am
Original Poster

Followed up by phone today and essentially got a brush off - confirmed that I would get a refund but not prepared to give any indication when. Given that I first applied for a refund 7 weeks ago when they cancelled the flights, followed up by phone 4 weeks ago and have not even had the request confirmed in writing I have submitted a dispute with Amex.
Thanks for that update.
Would be good to hear how you get on with Amex.
Old May 4, 20, 7:27 pm

Programs: QFF, UA MP
My flights were PER-SIN-SFO Return Y with April 16 Departure returning April 30. Refund requested just under four weeks ago. Got instant confirmation they had received request but nothing since. I guess I have another three months to wait.
Gorcat likes this.
Old May 4, 20, 8:20 pm

Programs: LX SEN & WoH Explorist
Just as an indication where I stand with my cancelled flights SIN - CMB - SIN for travel dates 30/04 - 04/05:

06/04 Flights were cancelled and I called the same day and asked for refund. They confirmed over hotline but I never received an e-mail confirmation.

07/04 Completed the online form and asked for refund again. Just to have it in writing as well.

09/04 SQ sent an email and offered full refund or flight credits again and I completed the online assistance request form again.

11/04 SQ confirmed that they received my request for full refund.

04/05 Got the final refund notice from SQ with information that I'll receive refund within 4 to 6 weeks, to allow time for the banks to carry out the necessary processes for payment.

Will let you know when the money finally reaches my account.
Old May 4, 20, 8:57 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Plat, GHA Black
I didn't keep track that tightly, but my SIN-NRT and NRT-SIN (separate tickets, so 1 was processed by SG the other processed by JP office) miles were redeposited & money back in credit card within 2 weeks of refund request.
Old May 4, 20, 9:32 pm

Originally Posted by shuigao View Post
I didn't keep track that tightly, but my SIN-NRT and NRT-SIN (separate tickets, so 1 was processed by SG the other processed by JP office) miles were redeposited & money back in credit card within 2 weeks of refund request.
Maybe depends on who you get as the CSO. Mine seems to be ad-hoc CSO. I called for redemption booking cancellation, CSO seems only to know about redemption bookings and not on commercial bookings, so seems to me like an ad-hoc trained CSO, just for this specific line.

On a side note, my card got charged for the redeposit fee, but I did not receive the notice for the fee charged (ie official receipt for the US$75), so could be that the process was not completed on SQ side by the supposedly ad-hoc CSO.
Old May 5, 20, 12:51 am

16 weeks

I called up a few times to chase. They CSOs were giving standard reply of up to 16 weeks from date of cancellation, 23 April 2020 for my redemption tickets travelling late May. Expect miles and refund notice in by August 2020. They say they are refunding the miles & taxes by months, March, April then May. I suspect it's because of cashflow problem because our tickets are all prepaid and they do not want to credit back the miles so fast to your account in case you make another redemption in the coming months and need to cancel again if you cannot travel.
Old May 5, 20, 12:56 am

Received automated confirmation of my refund request for the first time which adds to my feeling that the request I made in March was ignored and nothing happened after my call in early April despite promises made. Amex are now indicating an 8 week target for resolving disputes (I have two - one for this issue and another for flights with South African Airways).
I realise that all airlines are struggling but I didn't anticipate adding SQ to the list of companies I do not regard as honest enough to give my business to if and when I start flying again in the future.
Old May 5, 20, 3:53 am

Not siding SQ but it might seem like that they have procedure for refunding. Might need some higher authority for approval ? Or else someone might be able to cheat and be able to refund more amount n to other account.

As per scoot facebook post today, scoot have processed 75000 refund from April till now. Guess it is time consuming as well.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: