Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Refund Processing Time!

Search this Thread

Old May 5, 2020, 8:39 am

Programs: Accor Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, SQ TPPS
When I enquired with SQ on refund time for my J revenue ticket that was purchased through AMEX travel agent on 15 March, I was told 14 days at first. A couple weeks later, I was told 6 to 8 weeks. Just recently I was told earliest is June. I'm waiting to be told 2021 soon. Quite apparent that this new idea of processing refunds only a month at a time (i.e. if your flight is in June, your refund will only be processed in July, that's what I am most recently told) is because of cash flow issues. Or rather, to try and make the balance sheets look better since they don't exactly have cash flow issues given the Temasek rights issue.
Old May 5, 2020, 10:13 am

Programs: CO *G, UA 2P, Starwood Gold, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by tth_ben
When I enquired with SQ on refund time for my J revenue ticket that was purchased through AMEX travel agent on 15 March, I was told 14 days at first. A couple weeks later, I was told 6 to 8 weeks. Just recently I was told earliest is June. I'm waiting to be told 2021 soon. Quite apparent that this new idea of processing refunds only a month at a time (i.e. if your flight is in June, your refund will only be processed in July, that's what I am most recently told) is because of cash flow issues. Or rather, to try and make the balance sheets look better since they don't exactly have cash flow issues given the Temasek rights issue.
If you purchased a ticket through AMEX travel I would contact them directly and request refund. I had a J revenue ticket for June booked. I called AMEX travel approximately three weeks ago and cancelled with Amex, and received a refund from them in 4 business days. I also noticed that if you had a same class redemption booking you could cancel online on the SQ website without penalty and receive an immediate refund/redeposit if you are able to cancel online. If you have anything else mixed class, star alliance award and you can't cancel online then we're all stuck. I'm still waiting for tickets cancelled in early March when I was told it would be processed in a week to get a refund for those coming up on 60 days for mixed award and star alliance award bookings. God only knows when my June star alliance award booking will be refunded. A bit crappy to have 650k+ miles all stuck in neverever land.
Old May 5, 2020, 2:17 pm

Programs: Accor Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, SQ TPPS
Originally Posted by Wings900-Michael
If you purchased a ticket through AMEX travel I would contact them directly and request refund. I had a J revenue ticket for June booked. I called AMEX travel approximately three weeks ago and cancelled with Amex, and received a refund from them in 4 business days. I also noticed that if you had a same class redemption booking you could cancel online on the SQ website without penalty and receive an immediate refund/redeposit if you are able to cancel online. If you have anything else mixed class, star alliance award and you can't cancel online then we're all stuck. I'm still waiting for tickets cancelled in early March when I was told it would be processed in a week to get a refund for those coming up on 60 days for mixed award and star alliance award bookings. God only knows when my June star alliance award booking will be refunded. A bit crappy to have 650k+ miles all stuck in neverever land.
I have been in constant contact with both AMEX and SQ. AMEX (Singapore) insists that SQ has disabled automatic refund and that they are at the mercy of SQ. I presume your AMEX office is elsewhere?
Old May 5, 2020, 6:35 pm

Programs: CO *G, UA 2P, Starwood Gold, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by tth_ben
I have been in constant contact with both AMEX and SQ. AMEX (Singapore) insists that SQ has disabled automatic refund and that they are at the mercy of SQ. I presume your AMEX office is elsewhere?
Yes, this was AMEX in US.
Old May 6, 2020, 4:01 am

Update: Tried the facebook chat, and asked about the refund. Refund (miles) came back the same day.
My flight was supposed to be in March.
Old May 6, 2020, 11:23 pm

Programs: LX SEN & WoH Globalist
Originally Posted by Gioventu
Just as an indication where I stand with my cancelled flights SIN - CMB - SIN for travel dates 30/04 - 04/05:

06/04 Flights were cancelled and I called the same day and asked for refund. They confirmed over hotline but I never received an e-mail confirmation.

07/04 Completed the online form and asked for refund again. Just to have it in writing as well.

09/04 SQ sent an email and offered full refund or flight credits again and I completed the online assistance request form again.

11/04 SQ confirmed that they received my request for full refund.

04/05 Got the final refund notice from SQ with information that I'll receive refund within 4 to 6 weeks, to allow time for the banks to carry out the necessary processes for payment.

Will let you know when the money finally reaches my account.
Got the refund this morning (07/05), so can't complain in this case... I am more worried about my outstanding LH/LX flights!
bitterproffit likes this.
Old May 7, 2020, 12:36 am

Programs: Mucci des canapes, Skywards Gold, BAEC, IC Plat Amb, LH FTV
Originally Posted by pomkiwi
Received automated confirmation of my refund request for the first time which adds to my feeling that the request I made in March was ignored and nothing happened after my call in early April despite promises made. Amex are now indicating an 8 week target for resolving disputes (I have two - one for this issue and another for flights with South African Airways).
I realise that all airlines are struggling but I didn't anticipate adding SQ to the list of companies I do not regard as honest enough to give my business to if and when I start flying again in the future.
Amex have processed my refund and closed the dispute within 72 hours of me filing it - impressive.
Thai-Kiwi likes this.
Old May 7, 2020, 7:39 am

Programs: A3 Gold, SQ Gold, EK Gold
I submitted a refund on 16 March and was told 6-8 weeks. Upon follow up now they say 6 months minimum. I tried submitting a dispute for a hotel who promised a refund in writing, but has since disappeared. Visa has confirmed they won't process any disputes for airlines or hotels. Funsies.
Old May 7, 2020, 5:21 pm

Quick Data Point & Question Please...

I cancelled 2 award flights that were scheduled for end of July. Both point balances are now expired but they said they will be redeposited and extended. I cancelled these on 4/10 and paid the $75 (actually $75.76, maybe conversion fee?) and it was instantly debited from my card. So as of 5/27 its been about ~1 month and still haven't had the points redeposited or taxes refunded.

I did this over the phone, for those that cancelled over the phone did you receive a e-mail when you cancelled and when the points were redeposited?

I'm in no hurry and grateful that they extended my expired miles just a little concerned nothing is in writing.
Old May 7, 2020, 7:45 pm

Programs: Alaska
Originally Posted by fieldfreen
Quick Data Point & Question Please...

I cancelled 2 award flights that were scheduled for end of July. Both point balances are now expired but they said they will be redeposited and extended. I cancelled these on 4/10 and paid the $75 (actually $75.76, maybe conversion fee?) and it was instantly debited from my card. So as of 5/27 its been about ~1 month and still haven't had the points redeposited or taxes refunded.

I did this over the phone, for those that cancelled over the phone did you receive a e-mail when you cancelled and when the points were redeposited?

I'm in no hurry and grateful that they extended my expired miles just a little concerned nothing is in writing.
I guess refund is processed in the order of flight. Why in such a hurry to pay to cancel flight end of July?
Old May 8, 2020, 3:21 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Gold
Visa has confirmed they won't process any disputes for airlines or hotels.
Did you get this in writing?
Old May 8, 2020, 6:02 am

Programs: HH Diamond
I put in a refund request in late April. I got the auto response. I have seen the new schedule for June from the US showing that there are no JFK-FRA flights. I have tried a dummy booking and it won't book. But, when I check flight status, it shows my June 2 JFK-FRA and my June 16 return as still operating. They haven't cancelled the flight, although they acknowledge that the flight is not on the June operating schedule.

Will they eventually formally cancel the flight and notify? I didn't want to wait, so I put my refund request in as soon as they allowed refunds for June travel. I don't expect a refund any time soon, but I appreciate everyone's data points on here.
Old May 8, 2020, 6:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA - Bronze : HHonnors Gold : Hyatt Gold
Originally Posted by kobuse
I submitted a refund on 16 March and was told 6-8 weeks. Upon follow up now they say 6 months minimum. I tried submitting a dispute for a hotel who promised a refund in writing, but has since disappeared. Visa has confirmed they won't process any disputes for airlines or hotels. Funsies.
Originally Posted by warakorn
Did you get this in writing?
That's a bit concerning!
I did a Google search and found this from Visa from the 27th March
The FAQs are interesting!

https://usa.visa.com/dam/VCOM/global...h-covid-19.pdf
bitterproffit likes this.
Old May 8, 2020, 7:42 am

Originally Posted by freed0m
I guess refund is processed in the order of flight. Why in such a hurry to pay to cancel flight end of July?
My points (144K worth) had already expired in February when I cancelled in April. They gave me 2 options. Option 1 was the open tickets until March 2021 and option 2 was to refund the points even though they were expired and extend them into 2021 but pay redeposit fee. I thought option 2 was the better play and with policies changing so quickly I didn't want to lose this option if things changed again.

I could've probably waited until the flight was cancelled and got the same options but just wanted to play it safe with that many miles outstanding.
Old May 11, 2020, 11:05 pm

I cancelled my Qantas FFP redemption booking on 14 April 2020, got the points in on 01 May 2020 and the taxes in my credit today, 12 May 2020. Satisfied with the process.

Will receive email from Qantas Customer Services 3 days before the taxes are in about refund:
Hello vsepr,
This is to confirm that the requested refund for booking reference XXXXXX has been processed back to the same form of payment that you used to make your original purchase. The nominated bank or financial institution may take some time to process the funds back to this bank account.
If you requested a refund for a booking made using Qantas Points (e.g. a Classic Flight Reward or Points Plus Pay- Flight booking), please allow up to 10 business days for the Qantas Points to be credited to the nominated Frequent Flyer account in accordance with the Terms and Conditions of the fare. The monetary component has been processed back to the same form of payment that you used to make your original purchase. The nominated bank or financial institution may take some time to process the funds back to this bank account.
Thanks,
Qantas Refunds Team

Let's compare the refund experience from Qantas and the airline that prides itself as the "World's Best".

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.