Community
Wiki Posts
Search

General SQ Questions 2009-2021

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17, 2016, 6:44 pm

I have a mixed class award booking booked at the First Class RT award cost with the following itinerary.

LAX-NRT - J confirmed - F Waitlist - Stopover
NRT - SIN - F Confirmed - Stopover
SIN - MLE - J Confirmed (no F on flight)
MLE- SIN - J Confirmed (no F on flight)
SIN-NRT-LAX F Confirmed.

A couple quick questions regarding this as I have read conflicting information.
When I go to SIN airport to catch my SIN-MLE J flight do I get to use the first class terminal and/or get access to the private room as I am on a mixed class booked priced as a F award ticket even though I am leaving SIN to MLE in J class.

Thank you
Old Oct 18, 2016, 1:27 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
If flight is next day then maybe, otherwise no.

Presume you mean first class check-in (there is no first class terminal).
Old Oct 18, 2016, 10:33 am

Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
If flight is next day then maybe, otherwise no.
Outgoing flight is 36 hours after arrival. But its on the same itinerary and priced as a First Class Award.
Old Oct 18, 2016, 11:17 am

This is my first post on FlyerTalk so please forgive me if I don't use the right terms (that's probably also why I haven't been successful in my search for information via Google and this board).

I am booked on SQ in Economy class from the US to SIN on a paid fare and I used some FF miles to book a first class ticket (suites) from SIN to India on the same day. So I arrive around 0600 and leave around 1700. I have a couple of questions.

1) Will SQ check my bags all the way from the US to India or will I need to retrieve them, go through customs & immigration in SIN and then check in and re-check the bags?

2) Will I enjoy any kind of special privilege on SQ prior to arriving in SIN for my suites flight out of SIN?

3) What are the correct search terms for something like this on this board? I tried "economy and first" and "two tickets" and "luggage" and "customs" and etc.

Thank you!
Old Oct 19, 2016, 3:56 am

Originally Posted by katsgone79
This is my first post on FlyerTalk so please forgive me if I don't use the right terms (that's probably also why I haven't been successful in my search for information via Google and this board).

I am booked on SQ in Economy class from the US to SIN on a paid fare and I used some FF miles to book a first class ticket (suites) from SIN to India on the same day. So I arrive around 0600 and leave around 1700. I have a couple of questions.

1) Will SQ check my bags all the way from the US to India or will I need to retrieve them, go through customs & immigration in SIN and then check in and re-check the bags?

2) Will I enjoy any kind of special privilege on SQ prior to arriving in SIN for my suites flight out of SIN?

3) What are the correct search terms for something like this on this board? I tried "economy and first" and "two tickets" and "luggage" and "customs" and etc.

Thank you!
Welcome to Flytertalk!

Essentially you have two different tickets - one in Economy for US to SIN;;
one in First from SIN to India.
Bring copies of both tickets when you check-in for the first flight. The check-in agent for singapore airlines will most likely check your bags all the way to India...as it seems you are not "overnighting" in SIN.

If not, Singapore is a very efficient airport to get things done. If you cannot enter Singapore due to visa restrictions, the transfer desks can help locate your bags and re-tag them to India.

No special privileges on your flights from US to SIN.

When you land in SIN, you can use "The Private Room" (a first class lounge) ...which will be nice.
Old Oct 25, 2016, 9:21 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Explorist
Hi everyone, I will be traveling from HKG to SIN and then from SIN to AKL on the same day (2-3 hours layover).

Just wondering if it will be possible to get HKG to issue to boarding pass to AKL - will they also be able to send my bags onto the next flight without needing me to go through immigration twice?
Old Oct 25, 2016, 9:45 pm

Programs: SQ TPPS, QR Gold
Originally Posted by markcwj
Hi everyone, I will be traveling from HKG to SIN and then from SIN to AKL on the same day (2-3 hours layover).

Just wondering if it will be possible to get HKG to issue to boarding pass to AKL - will they also be able to send my bags onto the next flight without needing me to go through immigration twice?
Both flights on SQ and on the same booking? Then definitely, in fact they'll do that by default.

If they are both on SQ but on different bookings, you'd need to present both tickets, and they'll check you through.

If they are on different airlines, it depends on whether there's an interline agreement between the two.
Old Oct 26, 2016, 6:15 am

Thank you ft4lyf!
Old Oct 26, 2016, 7:02 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by cowie
Both flights on SQ and on the same booking? Then definitely, in fact they'll do that by default.

If they are both on SQ but on different bookings, you'd need to present both tickets, and they'll check you through.

If they are on different airlines, it depends on whether there's an interline agreement between the two.
Thanks Cowie! They are both on SQ and different bookings - I will do that in Hong Kong and hopefully it will all turn out OK. Thanks for your help!
Old Oct 27, 2016, 7:50 pm

Is there any advantage to close in bookings for SQ like there is for CX or something in terms of availability?

Specifically for SQ F from JFK to FRA to SIN.

I just looked at a few flights and seems like no dice - I guess the best bet is like a year out?
Old Oct 27, 2016, 8:02 pm

Originally Posted by jayoxd
Is there any advantage to close in bookings for SQ like there is for CX or something in terms of availability?

Specifically for SQ F from JFK to FRA to SIN.

I just looked at a few flights and seems like no dice - I guess the best bet is like a year out?
I'm assuming you're referring to saver awards.

In my experience, SQ does release saver J awards (and/or clear waitlists) closer to departure. But it is very stingy with saver F, and will often fly out with empty seats.

CX, I hear, is quite consistent in releasing F awards when it's clear that the inventory is going stale.

Your best bet for SQ is at the opening of the booking window, but even then the JFK route is notoriously difficult to snag.
Old Oct 27, 2016, 8:08 pm

Originally Posted by cowie
I'm assuming you're referring to saver awards.

In my experience, SQ does release saver J awards (and/or clear waitlists) closer to departure. But it is very stingy with saver F, and will often fly out with empty seats.

CX, I hear, is quite consistent in releasing F awards when it's clear that the inventory is going stale.

Your best bet for SQ is at the opening of the booking window, but even then the JFK route is notoriously difficult to snag.
Yeah thanks for confirming my suspicion. CX for me was a breeze to book. It looks like SQ F will take some planning. Maybe i'll look from SIN > FRA > JFK.

Do you have to find availability for both legs if you are booking a one way saver or I guess you can waitlist one leg and potentially be stranded?

Thank you!
Old Oct 27, 2016, 8:12 pm

If you don't need a stopover, you should book/waitlist the entire SIN-FRA-JFK itinerary as one ticket. Just search for SIN-JFK. Cheaper that way. Also, no chance of being stranded, so to speak.
Old Oct 29, 2016, 3:21 pm

Programs: BA, AA, SQ, UA, AC, WS, MR TIT
Is it possible to obtain krisflyer Gold status without stepping a foot on SQ metals and just by flying on other *A members like UA & LH?
Old Oct 29, 2016, 7:50 pm

Yeah.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.