Community
Wiki Posts
Search

General SQ Questions 2009-2021

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23, 2016, 7:14 pm

Programs: SQ TPPS, QR Gold
Originally Posted by HGHUA
I've got 3 flights coming up in Nov all booked into first and this is a special treat for me. I don't get to do this often. I also don't drink, not because I have any religious or moral reasons, it just wasn't something i wanted to spend money on as the taste of alcohol isn't very pleasant to me. On these trips however I'd make an exception to trying them. When I flew EK a while ago in F I tried both the normal and Rose Dom. Didn't really like it, but forced myself to stomach it. All in the name of trying new (and expensive) things. lol. I'm willing to try anything once if its really expensive.

Now, wines are a bit different. There are so many I've found a few I really like, almost always the ones with low alcohol content, but hey. Has anyone ever done a "wine tasting" on SQ to try all of them? I would never pay $100 for a bottle I wasn't sure I would like, so this is a chance for me to try some nice ones. What I don't relish however is the fact I know they probably will pour the rest of the bottle down the drain once opened. (maybe they'll have a glass themselves but most will go down the drain. Unless they're having a party in the crew rest I don't know about. haha) While i feel guilty about that, I suppose i did pay for the food already and its not a frivolous intent. if I find one I like, I'll drink more. I felt bad trying the Dom on EK and having to turn down refills.

What do you guys think? Thx.
Go for it. The bottles are probably already opened at the beginning of service anyway, whether you drink them or not. And yes "wine tastings" are a thing on SQ -- people have asked for them before, and crew are very happy to oblige.

Having said that, your sense of taste is quite different in the air (humidity, altitude, etc) than it is on the ground, so a really great wine can taste rather mediocre at 35,000 ft. So I'm not sure whether the wine tasting will be of any practical use to you. But hey it should be fun, so just do it anyway
Old Sep 27, 2016, 4:12 am

Programs: IHG Spire | Marriott Plat | UA Plat | AA Plat Pro
Originally Posted by shuigao
I would, if I were you. A taxi to the central areas is 25-35 mins. I'd much rather spend an afternoon sightseeing, then catch some dinner in town instead of spend the entire time in the airport.
I got my flights re-booked and moved around so now my connection is only 4 hours long, which means a little bit of T2 lounging followed by a little bit of T3 lounging... too bad I was gearing myself up to going around SG.
Old Sep 28, 2016, 10:42 pm

Question:
Flying JFK-FRA-SIN with a stopover in Germany on a saver suite award ticket. I'm planning on visiting Munich, so it makes sense to add FRA-MUC on LH (one way ticket, as I'm also going to Paris) to my itinerary. Does that cost extra miles and taxes? If so, will FRA-MUC be treated as a separate segment and require the regular miles for an award ticket (i.e., 27.5K for one way business within Europe + taxes) in addition to miles required for JFK-SIN plus $100 stopover fee?
Old Sep 29, 2016, 8:17 am

SQ KF Award waitlist question

Hello,
If I find a KF award for one route such as LAX-SIN (confirmed saver award in First),
Can I wait list for SFO-SIN or IAH-SIN (more miles) or JFK-SIN (more miles / suites)?
Final destination will be BKK.

Or can I only wait list for that exact same routing as the original confirmed award?

In general, I have not really found anything available for my dates....but wanted to understand before I jump in and start searching day by day.

THe other interesting thing I learned is the one free-stopover on. It will be quite great to stopover either in NRT or in FRA for me. So, I really should target a set of dates where I can use that stopover facility.

I have No SQ status.
Old Sep 29, 2016, 10:32 am

Originally Posted by ft4lyf
Hello,
If I find a KF award for one route such as LAX-SIN (confirmed saver award in First),
Can I wait list for SFO-SIN or IAH-SIN (more miles) or JFK-SIN (more miles / suites)?
Final destination will be BKK.

Or can I only wait list for that exact same routing as the original confirmed award?

In general, I have not really found anything available for my dates....but wanted to understand before I jump in and start searching day by day.

THe other interesting thing I learned is the one free-stopover on. It will be quite great to stopover either in NRT or in FRA for me. So, I really should target a set of dates where I can use that stopover facility.

I have No SQ status.
You can waitlist for multiple routes and flights as long as you have sufficient miles in your account when you make a new reservation. However, you cannot waitlist for standard & saver awards in the same class of service on the same flight.

To add a free-stopover (it's $100 if it's a saver award), you need to speak with an agent. In the same booking, you can only waitlist for max 2 flights.
Old Sep 29, 2016, 4:58 pm

Originally Posted by little bunny
You can waitlist for multiple routes and flights as long as you have sufficient miles in your account when you make a new reservation. However, you cannot waitlist for standard & saver awards in the same class of service on the same flight.

To add a free-stopover (it's $100 if it's a saver award), you need to speak with an agent. In the same booking, you can only waitlist for max 2 flights.
Excellent. Thank you!^^
Old Oct 7, 2016, 12:14 pm

Programs: Anything that still flies F
I have 2 business class tickets on 2 seperate bookings each for 1 person (travelling together). First just opened up and I was hoping to upgrade, but can only have enough miles for both in 1 account (transferred via chase). Can they do this over the phone or will I run into headaches? Don't want to move the miles if it cant be accommodated.

Thanks!
Old Oct 8, 2016, 12:25 pm

Award flights from non hub cities

I am trying to educate myself on SQ program. They have paid flights from IAD to SIN all over the place. But if I want to use any Singapore awards it doesn't even let me choose IAD as an airport for the search. So my questions are:

1. For an award flight do you have to fly out of only the cities they have listed from the US?

2. Is there a way to book a flight into one of the hub cities on either Singapore or one of their partners into the cities the awards are being shown from?
Old Oct 8, 2016, 2:09 pm

Programs: JL GC | Marriott LT Silver | Global Entry | SQ Silver
Originally Posted by dmarcus163
I am trying to educate myself on SQ program. They have paid flights from IAD to SIN all over the place. But if I want to use any Singapore awards it doesn't even let me choose IAD as an airport for the search. So my questions are:

1. For an award flight do you have to fly out of only the cities they have listed from the US?

2. Is there a way to book a flight into one of the hub cities on either Singapore or one of their partners into the cities the awards are being shown from?
The reason you can't select IAD for award flights is because it will only list out flights that are on SQ metal. If you would like to book on a partner flight or a combination of partner and SQ metal flights, you will have to call their call center.

For flights to/fro IAD, SQ codeshares with VX, VA, and B6 it seems.
Old Oct 8, 2016, 6:08 pm

Originally Posted by lcpteck
The reason you can't select IAD for award flights is because it will only list out flights that are on SQ metal. If you would like to book on a partner flight or a combination of partner and SQ metal flights, you will have to call their call center.

For flights to/fro IAD, SQ codeshares with VX, VA, and B6 it seems.
Thanks for the advice. What is SQ metal?
Old Oct 8, 2016, 6:28 pm
THR

Do you mean what it refers to? It means Singapore Airlines (SQ) aircraft/planes (metal).
Old Oct 9, 2016, 8:11 am

Originally Posted by THR
Do you mean what it refers to? It means Singapore Airlines (SQ) aircraft/planes (metal).
Yes it was the metal comment that got me. Thanks again.
Old Oct 9, 2016, 8:17 pm

Programs: JL GC | Marriott LT Silver | Global Entry | SQ Silver
Originally Posted by dmarcus163
Yes it was the metal comment that got me. Thanks again.
Sorry for the confusion, the 'metal' term seems to be widely used in FT so I went with it. Alternatively it would have been called 'SQ Operated flight'.
Old Oct 10, 2016, 4:15 am

Originally Posted by little bunny

Thanks again.
-------------------------
edited to add:
1. Called again, And was explained that yes, with mixed booking classes, I will end up paying more miles than normal;
2. The second agent clearly understood the situation. So, she smartly did another thing:
She kept the mixed class itinerary on hold;

Then, waitlisted me on a all first class itin to LAX. ; She did that as a "separate" reservation as one segment (BOM-SIN) was available in suites.
SIN-NRT-LAX waitllisted.
Also waitlisted SIN-SFO for that same day.

This second agent was pretty smart in my opinion and definitely did her best to help me! ^^^^
(the first agent below too was very good...just that he was not as convincing.).

Let us pray I clear the wait list!
=================================

Below is my original post from earlier today.

I have one more question:
I found seats for BOM-SIN-SFO ;
BOM-SIN in Business
SIN_SFO in First.

So, I knew I had to call to get this reserved.
However, the agent said I lacked miles, but he would hold the reservation for me. I immediately initiated a transfer for more miles, thinking I was wrong in my calculations.

Now I realized that the agent is quoting me:
1 Business saver award from BOM-SIN
1 First Saver award from SIN-SFO.

So, I have two awards
I thought, this would be one single First Saver from BOM-SFO?
Am I wrong?

(If this was UA, I would be correct...but I do not know much about SQ).

I also asked about wait listing for two different flights. He did it.(ETA - he did not correctly waitlist..so the segments disappeared on a later call).

Sorry for this long post. Any suggestions appreciated.

Last edited by ft4lyf; Oct 10, 2016 at 7:37 am
Old Oct 10, 2016, 10:03 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium/LTG, IHG Platinum
Hi, I have been looking at SQ award flights online - and I am having errors going backwards/forwards... so for example, I search for a flight on the 15th, but then I click > to go to the next day (16) but it doesn't let me and says there's an error finding flights. Is this just me??

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.