Community
Wiki Posts
Search

General SQ Questions 2009-2021

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10, 2016, 3:31 pm

been focusing in on maximizing my award miles and had a question for anyone US-based: I have a United L flight to SIN. I have an empty KrisFlyer account, and a basic UA account with 20k miles. The flight will credit only 3.8k miles if I add it to my UA account, or the full 17k miles with KrisFlyer. Is KrisFlyer worth focusing in on with my miles/points? (Also have Chase UR points to eventually transfer)
Old Aug 10, 2016, 4:11 pm
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
Originally Posted by lemontie13
been focusing in on maximizing my award miles and had a question for anyone US-based: I have a United L flight to SIN. I have an empty KrisFlyer account, and a basic UA account with 20k miles. The flight will credit only 3.8k miles if I add it to my UA account, or the full 17k miles with KrisFlyer. Is KrisFlyer worth focusing in on with my miles/points? (Also have Chase UR points to eventually transfer)
You really have to weigh this one for yourself, but a few things I would suggest considering: do the elite qualifying miles have any incremental value to you with either program (i.e. would crediting these miles to SQ leave you short of the next UA elite tier)? Would it help extend UA mileage expiry (if that might otherwise be a problem for you)? Do you expect you'd soon have enough KrisFlyer miles, either with more flying or with substantial transfers in, to be worth crediting to KrisFlyer? Splitting across programs is not normally worthwhile unless you have a clear plan for the end game, but in this case the difference is large enough that it might be worthwhile--but only if you're sure you'll eventually have enough KrisFlyer miles to do something with them, and an idea of what that might be.
Old Aug 12, 2016, 5:03 am

Programs: DL Silver
Splitting Reservation?

I'm flying FRA-JFK in a few weeks and am on a joint reservation with my (now-ex) girlfriend. She just let me know that she plans to no-show and isn't going to try to cancel/change the reservation. Will SQ have an issue with only 1/2 travellers checking in on a joint reservation? If so, is there a way to split the reservation, or should I cut my losses and book another ticket? Thanks in advance!
Old Aug 12, 2016, 5:26 am

Originally Posted by Chicago Sailor
I'm flying FRA-JFK in a few weeks and am on a joint reservation with my (now-ex) girlfriend. She just let me know that she plans to no-show and isn't going to try to cancel/change the reservation. Will SQ have an issue with only 1/2 travellers checking in on a joint reservation? If so, is there a way to split the reservation, or should I cut my losses and book another ticket? Thanks in advance!
Is it a 2-to-go fare? If it is, then both passengers will need to check in together. If it is not, then no issues with splitting and and cancelling the other ticket.
Old Aug 12, 2016, 5:29 am

Programs: DL Silver
Originally Posted by fone
Is it a 2-to-go fare? If it is, then both passengers will need to check in together. If it is not, then no issues with splitting and and cancelling the other ticket.
Great, thanks Fone. It's not a 2-to-go fare. Is it fairly easy to call SQ and ask them to cancel half the reservation? Alternatively, would they have an issue if she doesn't cancel her reservation and no-shows (but I still check-in)? It would be nice to have the guaranteed empty seat next to me...
Old Aug 12, 2016, 6:54 am
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
Originally Posted by Chicago Sailor
Great, thanks Fone. It's not a 2-to-go fare. Is it fairly easy to call SQ and ask them to cancel half the reservation? Alternatively, would they have an issue if she doesn't cancel her reservation and no-shows (but I still check-in)? It would be nice to have the guaranteed empty seat next to me...
You could always tell them that you meant to buy the second ticket as an empty seat on purpose. Many airlines sell tickets for empty seats.
Old Aug 12, 2016, 2:38 pm

Has anyone seen this online before? I am trying to book a saver first seat from LAX to HKG that routes through ICN and SIN (I did not do this as multiple legs but simply was the first choice when inputting LAX to HKG). The amount shown is 82,500, but when I click on it to book, it turns into 123,250 (145K-15%) in the booking summary instead of 70,125 (which was what I was expecting).

I called customer service and the representative said the lower amount is wrong and the higher one is the correct price and would not honor the lower amount even though it was shown on the site. Has anyone been able to get them to honor the lower price over the phone or do I just take their word for it and book it at the higher amount?
Old Aug 12, 2016, 4:22 pm

Originally Posted by mrpuff26
Has anyone seen this online before? I am trying to book a saver first seat from LAX to HKG that routes through ICN and SIN (I did not do this as multiple legs but simply was the first choice when inputting LAX to HKG). The amount shown is 82,500, but when I click on it to book, it turns into 123,250 (145K-15%) in the booking summary instead of 70,125 (which was what I was expecting).

I called customer service and the representative said the lower amount is wrong and the higher one is the correct price and would not honor the lower amount even though it was shown on the site. Has anyone been able to get them to honor the lower price over the phone or do I just take their word for it and book it at the higher amount?
The agent is correct. The lower amount is only intended for the non-stops between SFO-HKG and LAX-ICN/NRT. I'm pretty sure the PDF chart indicates this.

Going via Singapore triggers two separate awards, one from the West Coast to SIN and another from SIN back up to ICN.
Old Aug 16, 2016, 10:04 am

Programs: BA, AA, SQ, UA, AC, WS, MR TIT
In the SQ Krisflyer award chart, is the amount stated for each award is for round trip or one way?

For example: North America to Europe in F class is it 160k for round trip or for one way?
Old Aug 16, 2016, 10:17 am

Programs: JL GC | Marriott LT Silver | Global Entry | SQ Silver
Originally Posted by NA-Flyer
In the SQ Krisflyer award chart, is the amount stated for each award is for round trip or one way?

For example: North America to Europe in F class is it 160k for round trip or for one way?
Are you referring to the award chart for flying on SQ/MI metal or for flying on Partner airlines? There are 2 different award charts.

Either way, the top of both tables does say it's one way or roundtrip.
Old Aug 16, 2016, 10:21 am

am i right that the only way to redeem business seats or first class seats/suite on Singapore Airlines flight is via Krisflyer?

i know for sure that SQ doesnt release premium class seats to United Mileage Plus, but does SQ release any of these premium class seats to ANA Mileage Club? any past evidence/observation on this?
Old Aug 16, 2016, 10:24 am

Programs: JL GC | Marriott LT Silver | Global Entry | SQ Silver
Originally Posted by gnomey
am i right that the only way to redeem business seats or first class seats/suite on Singapore Airlines flight is via Krisflyer?

i know for sure that SQ doesnt release premium class seats to United Mileage Plus, but does SQ release any of these premium class seats to ANA Mileage Club? any past evidence/observation on this?
From what I've seen, SQ doesn't release seats for longhaul business/first class to partner airlines.
Old Aug 16, 2016, 11:48 am

Originally Posted by lcpteck
From what I've seen, SQ doesn't release seats for longhaul business/first class to partner airlines.
thanks - definition of long-haul is > 6 hours flight ?

have you seen SQ biz/first class seats available to *A airline mileage programs for routes like the below : i think all these are probably > 6 hours, except for the first one:

HKG-SIN
NRT-SIN
ICN-SIN
SIN-SYD
SIN-MEL
SIN-AKL

and the likes... you get the idea
Old Aug 16, 2016, 12:22 pm

Quick question. I'm looking to book 3 award F or J SFO-HKG RT next July. I searched my preferred dates +/- several days. All wait list. What happens if I wait list and it does not come through, and I get shut out? Do I just buy Y tickets and not wait list? Suggestions/advice?
Old Aug 16, 2016, 12:44 pm

Originally Posted by gnomey
thanks - definition of long-haul is > 6 hours flight ?

have you seen SQ biz/first class seats available to *A airline mileage programs for routes like the below : i think all these are probably > 6 hours, except for the first one:

HKG-SIN
NRT-SIN
ICN-SIN
SIN-SYD
SIN-MEL
SIN-AKL

and the likes... you get the idea
SQ does release biz seat awards to *A programs, although they could be for smaller and older planes. I searched availability on ANA website and was able to book HKG-SIN for May 2017 using my UA miles. There were 6 flights HKG-SIN showing on SIA website, but only one showed up on ANA.com, which was the flight using 777-200 plane.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.