Community
Wiki Posts
Search

General SQ Questions 2009-2021

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9, 2016, 8:23 am

Programs: SQ TPPS, QR Gold
Originally Posted by HGHUA
What the best way to get a few points, (like 10). I really don't want to have to waste by transferring over a full 1k. thx.
Try krisflyerspree.com. It's SQ's e-commerce site where they partner up with merchants such as Apple, Redmart, et al. You earn miles with purchases.

Having said that, miles seem to take forever to credit. I started using this since May with Redmart and the points from multiple purchases haven't posted at all. I do get confirmation emails though.
Old Jul 9, 2016, 12:54 pm

Programs: DL PM, OZ Diamond Plus, BA Silver
Originally Posted by cowie
To fly back to SYD from Europe via the US on SQ, you'd need to take SQ26 FRA-JFK, and then make your own way to LAX or SFO. From there, route through ICN/HKG/NRT and SIN. You'd book these as a series of one-way awards SYD-SIN-FRA/ZRH, FRA-JFK, (paid connecting flight), SFO/LAX-ICN/HKG/NRT-SIN.

(And I'm not sure if you know this already, but one-way awards on SQ are exactly half the points cost of return awards.)

You could get a *A award that includes the JFK-SFO/LAX leg on UA, but you'd lose the 15% online Krisflyer discount as this has to be done over the phone.

Alternatively, you could redeem a pair of *A round-the-world tickets, but the cost will exceed your 400k miles (I'm assuming "we" = 2 pax) and I believe to book SQ's premium cabins as part of the RTW obnoxiously incurs further costs.

Not sure why you'd want to do this, but it seems like a lot of hassle (time and money) over simply backtracking on your return.
Originally Posted by THR
Thanks for that. I did some more research and realised it is best just to do Europe return and forget US. Appreciate your feedback.
Actually it can be done and honestly wouldn't be that expensive as compared to backtracking Europe-SIN-SYD:

Book a one-way SYD-SIN-FRA-JFK (91k in J / 117k in F after 15% discount) and then you can call in to add a stopover in FRA for $100.

Then book another one-way SFO/LAX-(connect in NRT/ICN/HKG or nonstop from SFO)-SIN-SYD (85k in J / 119k in F).

If you buy in advance a one-way ticket JFK-LAX/SFO on B6/AA/DL in J (with flat beds) is usually $599. So it's very good value.

SYD-SIN-Europe is 80k in J / 113k in F one-way so really the difference in prices for returning the way you came / going via the US isn't that great. And you also get stopovers in NYC and LA or SF which will be nice.
Old Jul 9, 2016, 7:58 pm
THR

^ Thanks for the info. Will look into it.

Also, this might be a completely dumb/newbie question, but it seems more expensive to book the legs individually than together?

For example, if I look at a flight from SYD-SIN-ZRH, as one ticket, it shows as 132,500 miles (before 15% online discount). If I look at it individually (i.e. buy SYD-SIN, and then a separate award for SIN-ZRH), it shows as 75000 + 107500 - so 182,500 miles (which is as per the award chart).

So ... it obviously makes sense to book all the way through and there is a penalty for booking individually? (Perhaps a newbie obvious question but still trying to plan this all out.)
Old Jul 9, 2016, 8:55 pm

Programs: DL PM, OZ Diamond Plus, BA Silver
Originally Posted by THR
^ Thanks for the info. Will look into it.

Also, this might be a completely dumb/newbie question, but it seems more expensive to book the legs individually than together?

For example, if I look at a flight from SYD-SIN-ZRH, as one ticket, it shows as 132,500 miles (before 15% online discount). If I look at it individually (i.e. buy SYD-SIN, and then a separate award for SIN-ZRH), it shows as 75000 + 107500 - so 182,500 miles (which is as per the award chart).

So ... it obviously makes sense to book all the way through and there is a penalty for booking individually? (Perhaps a newbie obvious question but still trying to plan this all out.)
That is correct. Which is why it makes more sense to book for example SYD-JFK and pay to add stopovers in SIN or FRA instead of booking two separate trips.
Old Jul 9, 2016, 9:03 pm
THR

Thanks again! Very helpful.
Old Jul 9, 2016, 11:09 pm

Originally Posted by truncated
That is correct. Which is why it makes more sense to book for example SYD-JFK and pay to add stopovers in SIN or FRA instead of booking two separate trips.
That's what I'm trying to do right now, but what are the chances of getting off the waitlist for FRA-JFK for someone with no status with star alliance? I guess there's no answer to that... though a data point suggests 14 days prior to departure date. Unconfirmed itinerary makes it difficult to plan trips, including prepaid hotel, non-refundable flight, restaurants, etc...
Old Jul 9, 2016, 11:50 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by little bunny
That's what I'm trying to do right now, but what are the chances of getting off the waitlist for FRA-JFK for someone with no status with star alliance? I guess there's no answer to that... though a data point suggests 14 days prior to departure date. Unconfirmed itinerary makes it difficult to plan trips, including prepaid hotel, non-refundable flight, restaurants, etc...
waitlist suite and book business
Old Jul 10, 2016, 3:06 am
THR

As a follow up to above, if you book business, can you then repeat the booking process and select to wait list suite? Or do you book business and call up and request to be waitlisted for suite/first?
Old Jul 10, 2016, 3:27 am

Originally Posted by TMM1982
waitlist suite and book business
Business (saver) is also only available for waitlisting, or you mean the chances of SQ releasing business seats are greater or book standard business awards?

Last edited by little bunny; Jul 10, 2016 at 3:41 am
Old Jul 10, 2016, 3:32 am

Originally Posted by THR
As a follow up to above, if you book business, can you then repeat the booking process and select to wait list suite? Or do you book business and call up and request to be waitlisted for suite/first?
As long as you have enough miles to waitlist for suite/first, you can do that online as well.
Old Jul 11, 2016, 5:29 am

I have a flight departing from T2(LH F). What's the general consensus on whether it's worth going to the T3 SKL vs just sticking with the T2 SKL these days? I haven't been to the T2 SKL since they renovated it years ago.
Old Jul 11, 2016, 11:25 am

Location: Catania, Sicily/South Jersey (PHL)/Houston, Texas/Red Stick/airborne in-between
Programs: United Global Svs, AA PlatPro, WN RR, AZ/ITA Freccia, Hilton Diam, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz Prez, IHG
There is a rumour on the Houston Airport spotters page that SQ is going to change the IAH-DME-SIN route to IAH-MAN-SIN early next year. Not much more info, just a rumour that seems possible so I thought I'd share.
Old Jul 11, 2016, 8:12 pm

Programs: JL GC | Marriott LT Silver | Global Entry | SQ Silver
Originally Posted by FlyingHoustonian
There is a rumour on the Houston Airport spotters page that SQ is going to change the IAH-DME-SIN route to IAH-MAN-SIN early next year. Not much more info, just a rumour that seems possible so I thought I'd share.
Here's the discussion thread.
Old Jul 11, 2016, 9:15 pm

Location: Catania, Sicily/South Jersey (PHL)/Houston, Texas/Red Stick/airborne in-between
Programs: United Global Svs, AA PlatPro, WN RR, AZ/ITA Freccia, Hilton Diam, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz Prez, IHG
Originally Posted by lcpteck
Here's the discussion thread.
Thanks, I looked but missed it. Nice read.
Old Jul 19, 2016, 1:55 pm

Does it make sense that SQ and ANA are blocked from booking AC saver awards that are otherwise available on AC and UA?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.