Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sale Fares Discussion

Search this Thread

Old May 28, 2018, 6:51 am

Programs: Mucci, BA GGL/CCR
Originally Posted by ChocolateFactory
Would it make sense to credit to AA instead of BAEC for somebody based in Europe? I like that AA doesn't charge YQ for awards. But I guess I'd lose lounge access in the US (which isn't that much of a problem).
I'm currently BAEC Gold (OW Emerald). The only true benefit I see is having access to first class lounges, the rest you also get as Sapphire.
I'm guessing you have accidentally posted this in the wrong thread?
Old May 28, 2018, 6:53 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, BA Silver, A3 Gold, Sixt Diamond
Sort of. I was misled by Dr. HFH's post, thinking this was the "QRPC Changes" thread. Sorry. I guess both our posts can be moved there instead.
Old May 28, 2018, 6:56 am

Programs: Mucci, BA GGL/CCR
Originally Posted by ChocolateFactory
Sort of. I was misled by Dr. HFH's post, thinking this was the "QRPC Changes" thread. Sorry. I guess both our posts can be moved there instead.
Indeed, I suspected that is what happened. If a mod can move both our posts, that would be great
Old May 29, 2018, 2:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat
To be honest though there aren't many reasons to pick another airline when the fares are similar! How many provide a better service then QR? Next month I have a UK-Thailand trip. Choices were TG, QR, EY, BA and I went with QR for their superior product. 8 across in business on BA or a private suite?

Yes I would love it if they had the same fare for $1000 but that is just not sustainable for the product they are offering. We all knew that.
Old May 29, 2018, 5:38 am

Originally Posted by onlysuites
To be honest though there aren't many reasons to pick another airline when the fares are similar! How many provide a better service then QR? Next month I have a UK-Thailand trip. Choices were TG, QR, EY, BA and I went with QR for their superior product. 8 across in business on BA or a private suite?

Yes I would love it if they had the same fare for $1000 but that is just not sustainable for the product they are offering. We all knew that.
You are assuming QR doesn't have the famous downgraded aircraft parked at your gate. ;-)
flyvirgin likes this.
Old May 29, 2018, 6:56 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Which honestly, would still be better than BA (just coming of a DISGUSTINGLY maintained BA 747, (the TV screen?! my iphone has better picture quality) ).
Even the "normal" 777 is an improvement to that.
Originally Posted by NJSwamplands
You are assuming QR doesn't have the famous downgraded aircraft parked at your gate. ;-)
Old May 29, 2018, 7:23 am

Originally Posted by nilsfr69
Which honestly, would still be better than BA (just coming of a DISGUSTINGLY maintained BA 747, (the TV screen?! my iphone has better picture quality) ).
Even the "normal" 777 is an improvement to that.
Understood.

QR is a big premium from JFK in J. JFK-BKK-JFK runs around $8500 USD versus $3077 USD on Finnair. Many asian carriers are 4-5k USD. I love the QR hard ( a380/a350/QSuite) and soft product combos an am willing to pay extra for it but paying that much premium and getting substituted out is not cool.
flyvirgin and Traveller999 like this.
Old May 29, 2018, 7:47 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
I understand Finnair has the same seat config as QR on some planes, that might be an alternative. (reverse heringbone)
flyvirgin and Traveller999 like this.
Old May 30, 2018, 2:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by NJSwamplands
I would still take that over a aged BA 747 or a TG 747 with the old style lye flats.
Old May 30, 2018, 3:12 am

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by nilsfr69
I understand Finnair has the same seat config as QR on some planes, that might be an alternative. (reverse heringbone)
Sort of - the AY layout is basically a slightly budget version of QR, they squeeze a few extra seats in the same space so that the seat definitely feels more cramped than the likes of QR/CX/AA etc. I think it's noticeable enough that I would avoid it if you're tall on, say, a 10 hour BKK-HEL where you need to sleep for work. Obviously, it's great if you get the longhaul A350 on LHR-HEL.

This is the crux of the problem really, QR's onboard product is so compelling that even post-QRPC devaluation I will continue to fly them, just not quite as often as I used to.
I2sky likes this.
Old May 31, 2018, 2:07 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, UA2MM, QF Platinum, VA Platinum., Volare Executive Club
Originally Posted by lost_in_translation
This is the crux of the problem really, QR's onboard product is so compelling
How true, especially if fares continue to be very reasonable. I'll continue to fly QR, but credit to BAEC or QF. But who knows what the future holds, as AAB is not your average CEO of an average commercial enterprise.

Commercial decisions seem to be out the window. Watch out for more surprises...
Old May 31, 2018, 7:38 am

Originally Posted by lost_in_translation
Sort of - the AY layout is basically a slightly budget version of QR, they squeeze a few extra seats in the same space so that the seat definitely feels more cramped than the likes of QR/CX/AA etc. I think it's noticeable enough that I would avoid it if you're tall on, say, a 10 hour BKK-HEL where you need to sleep for work. Obviously, it's great if you get the longhaul A350 on LHR-HEL.

This is the crux of the problem really, QR's onboard product is so compelling that even post-QRPC devaluation I will continue to fly them, just not quite as often as I used to.
Was looking at Finnair seat pitch and see what you are talking about. I am 6'4" ( 193 cm ) and the herringbone/QSuite pitch is beyond lovely. The Finnair herringbone pitch appears to be significantly shorter.
Old Jun 1, 2018, 1:33 pm

Just got a QR email showing a decent drop in J classes. Best I see right now is MIA-BKK-MIA for about $3500 USD in September
Old Jun 1, 2018, 2:14 pm

$2781 LAX-DEL is pretty sweet.
https://goo.gl/flights/va4Sd
Old Jun 1, 2018, 5:29 pm

Programs: CO
JFK-SIN at 3,200 ain't bad either. Do all these fares require a week stay tho? That's all I see
NJSwamplands likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.