Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 5, 2015, 11:11 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: CPH-Flyer
READ BEFORE COMMENTING IF YOU ARE NEW,

Hamad International Airport (HIA) offers passengers a number of different lounges.

This thread, is specifically for the Al Safwa First Class Lounge. Information on the other Lounge options at HIA, can be found here.

Does Al Safwa have a web page?
Yes: http://www.qatarairways.com/global/e...-al-safwa.page

Dining Menu
https://www.qatarairways.com/content...-dining-en.pdf

Where can I find Al Safwa Lounge?
The Lounge is located on Level 3 of the airport.

Can I use the Qatar Airways Al Safwa Lounge?

Access is based on your underlying fare bucket. This means that upgraded tickets, maybe except upgrades with QPoints (see post 2735), are not granted access.

Access is thus restricted to Qatar Airways First Class, and OneWorld First Class passengers :
- either holding a First Class boarding pass* for their next flight
- or holding a First Class boarding pass from their previous flight.

Additionally, Privilege Club platinum club travelling on any business-class fare are welcomed into the lounge. This is a facility introduced recently and one that could just as easily disappear.

- Guests are not permitted.
* Operational Upgrades to First do not give access. Upgrades with Qpoints may do give acces (see post 2735 - Sept 2022)

Arrival access on mid and long haul? (eg. coming from LHR in F)

YES

​​​​​
Ex. CAI-DOH-HEL
Arrival access regional F? (eg. coming from CAI in F)

Yes.
Caveat, if your underlying J fare is P, then the no lounge access for business light kicks in. And there is no access.

Privilege Club Platinum members are currently allowed in the lounge when travelling on any QR business-class fare: that could change. Other Oneworld Emerald members are directed to the Platinum lounge(s) when travelling in any class, and the Al Mourjan lounge when travelling on relevant business-class fares. Yup, it gets complicated.

What does the lounge look like?
Reports on the Lounge, can be found here and here. Photographs of the lounge, can be found here.

Is there a Spa?
Yes, there is a full Spa, but you will have to pay for treatments. A full list of treatments available can be found here

What about the sleeping rooms?
Stargold in http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28199729-post1177.html suggests that access to sleeping rooms is as follows:
'* No reservations allowed - always first-come first-served
* Only available if the remaining time until the flight departure is more than 4 hours
* Passengers are allowed maximum six hours' usage - for any further usage, a fee of QAR 450 is payable for a second block of six hours.
* No F&B of any kind except bottled water in the sleeping rooms.'

What changes can I expect during Ramadan?
Ramadan affects QR and you in many ways so please look at ramadan to see how you are affected.

Updated: 19/11/2023

Print Wikipost

QR Al Safwa First Class Lounge

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27, 2021, 10:31 am

Programs: QR,VS
I'm wondering if anyone can provide clarity on recent experiences because a conversation with QR contact center didn't help very much....

About a year ago I traveled JFK-DOH-JNB on paid J class and was allowed to pay to enter Al Safwa. Is this policy still in effect? With the exception of upgrades with QCredits or points, can any revenue business class pax pay to get into Al Safwa, subject to capacity?

If anyone has a recent account from the last couple of weeks that would be much appreciated! Thanks
Old Oct 27, 2021, 10:35 pm

Originally Posted by dusanb
About a year ago I traveled JFK-DOH-JNB on paid J class and was allowed to pay to enter Al Safwa. Is this policy still in effect? With the exception of upgrades with QCredits or points, can any revenue business class pax pay to get into Al Safwa, subject to capacity?
Read this same thread up above… people have already noted they paid the QAR600 and gotten in for the allowed ~6 hours.
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/33590051-post2132.html

All but P-fares now are eligible.
Old Oct 28, 2021, 7:53 am

Originally Posted by crackjack
Read this same thread up above… people have already noted they paid the QAR600 and gotten in for the allowed ~6 hours.
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/33590051-post2132.html

All but P-fares now are eligible.
Thanks for your reply. I did see that post, but it seemed that R class only worked because the ticket was purchased/issued before the fare rules changed. Excuse my ignorance - "P" class is a miles/QCredits/OpUp upgrade?
Old Oct 28, 2021, 9:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by dusanb
Thanks for your reply. I did see that post, but it seemed that R class only worked because the ticket was purchased/issued before the fare rules changed. Excuse my ignorance - "P" class is a miles/QCredits/OpUp upgrade?
No, P class is the new Business Lite that has replaced the business classic R fares as the no frills business class.
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qata...-bookings.html
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/33578428-post1128.html
crackjack likes this.
Old Oct 28, 2021, 12:03 pm

Originally Posted by jerry a. laska
No, P class is the new Business Lite that has replaced the business classic R fares as the no frills business class.
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qata...-bookings.html
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/33578428-post1128.html
Thanks so much - makes sense now.
Old Nov 3, 2021, 10:52 am
Suspended

Hey folks,

Any recent experience on how early one can check-in at Doha and go through to the Al Safwa lounge?

Flying in short-haul F and would like to sleep in the lounge rather than use the transit hotel.

Thanks in advance.
Old Nov 3, 2021, 10:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by exeu2017
Hey folks,

Any recent experience on how early one can check-in at Doha and go through to the Al Safwa lounge?

Flying in short-haul F and would like to sleep in the lounge rather than use the transit hotel.

Thanks in advance.
24 hours before departure is the earliest that you could check in at Doha Hamad Airport.
Old Nov 3, 2021, 11:24 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
24 hours before departure is the earliest that you could check in at Doha Hamad Airport.
Thanks. Just seen this is a duplicate question from further up. I wish search was a lot better as I spent a while keying in specific search terms into Google without much useful info!
Old Nov 5, 2021, 12:52 am

Programs: OneWorld Emerald/GHA Discovery Black
I have searched but can't seem to find an answer (and a circular Twitter DM convesation with QR Support leaves me frustrated and none the wiser). As a Platinum Privilege Club member travelling on a Business Class "COMFORT" (I class fare bucket) ticket, will I get access to the Al Safwa lounge during my transit of DOH? And if so, will I be able to take a guest (also travelling on a Business "COMFORT" fare but a BA GGL (not PC Platinum)? Thanks in advance for any help.
Old Nov 5, 2021, 2:03 am

Programs: Qatar Gold (OWS), Asiana Diamond (*G)
Originally Posted by Work-Shy
I have searched but can't seem to find an answer (and a circular Twitter DM convesation with QR Support leaves me frustrated and none the wiser). As a Platinum Privilege Club member travelling on a Business Class "COMFORT" (I class fare bucket) ticket, will I get access to the Al Safwa lounge during my transit of DOH? And if so, will I be able to take a guest (also travelling on a Business "COMFORT" fare but a BA GGL (not PC Platinum)? Thanks in advance for any help.
Yes and yes.
Work-Shy and Traveller999 like this.
Old Nov 5, 2021, 5:05 pm

Programs: TP Gold; IB Oro; G3 Diamond; AD Diamond; LA Plat.; HH Diamond; IHG Diam Amb; Marriott Plat.
Wi-fi speed

[rant on] I am at the AS right now. Trying to work, but internet is pretty slow. Speed was below 500Kb at times. Now it is between 1 and 2 Mb. Still not good. You have to use the free airport wi-fi. Quite disappointing. They checked with IT, and IT apparently said that everything is fine, as it is supposed to be, that speed can vary depending on where you are in the lounge and on how crowded the airport is(!). Not the lounge (which is quite empty), but the airport. I have just flown from DXB, where the wi-fi was at least 10X faster. This is really disappointing. I wish I could just be at the bar drinking the La Grande Dame and relaxing, but I actually need to work and QR does not think that AS needs to have its own wi-fi. [rant off]

Update: they eventually brought over a portable modem. I logged in and was able to use fast internet to finish my work. Then on to a great dinner.

AS is such an amazing, incredible lounge. Huge investment has been made, evidently. So I hope they enhance the wifi situation, which is something basic, and should not require a relevant investment, in the grand context.

Last edited by Blackheath; Nov 6, 2021 at 7:24 pm
Old Nov 7, 2021, 2:38 am

Programs: Southwest A-List, Alaska MVP
Seen things online that business pax can pay to access Al safwa is that still true?
Old Nov 7, 2021, 2:47 am

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by Blackheath
AS is such an amazing, incredible lounge. Huge investment has been made, evidently. So I hope they enhance the wifi situation, which is something basic, and should not require a relevant investment, in the grand context.
The WiFi has been like this throughout the entire airport basically since it opened, I wouldn't count on it changing any time soon.
Old Nov 7, 2021, 7:55 am

Programs: Privilege Club - Platinum
Here is the current Al Safwa dining menu for anyone interested.

https://pdfhost.io/v/WAjutLHgB_alsafwadiningen
SanDiego1K likes this.
Old Nov 7, 2021, 8:27 am

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Link just seems to open blank for me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.