Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 5, 2015, 11:11 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: CPH-Flyer
READ BEFORE COMMENTING IF YOU ARE NEW,

Hamad International Airport (HIA) offers passengers a number of different lounges.

This thread, is specifically for the Al Safwa First Class Lounge. Information on the other Lounge options at HIA, can be found here.

Does Al Safwa have a web page?
Yes: http://www.qatarairways.com/global/e...-al-safwa.page

Dining Menu
https://www.qatarairways.com/content...-dining-en.pdf

Where can I find Al Safwa Lounge?
The Lounge is located on Level 3 of the airport.

Can I use the Qatar Airways Al Safwa Lounge?

Access is based on your underlying fare bucket. This means that upgraded tickets, maybe except upgrades with QPoints (see post 2735), are not granted access.

Access is thus restricted to Qatar Airways First Class, and OneWorld First Class passengers :
- either holding a First Class boarding pass* for their next flight
- or holding a First Class boarding pass from their previous flight.

Additionally, Privilege Club platinum club travelling on any business-class fare are welcomed into the lounge. This is a facility introduced recently and one that could just as easily disappear.

- Guests are not permitted.
* Operational Upgrades to First do not give access. Upgrades with Qpoints may do give acces (see post 2735 - Sept 2022)

Arrival access on mid and long haul? (eg. coming from LHR in F)

YES

​​​​​
Ex. CAI-DOH-HEL
Arrival access regional F? (eg. coming from CAI in F)

Yes.
Caveat, if your underlying J fare is P, then the no lounge access for business light kicks in. And there is no access.

Privilege Club Platinum members are currently allowed in the lounge when travelling on any QR business-class fare: that could change. Other Oneworld Emerald members are directed to the Platinum lounge(s) when travelling in any class, and the Al Mourjan lounge when travelling on relevant business-class fares. Yup, it gets complicated.

What does the lounge look like?
Reports on the Lounge, can be found here and here. Photographs of the lounge, can be found here.

Is there a Spa?
Yes, there is a full Spa, but you will have to pay for treatments. A full list of treatments available can be found here

What about the sleeping rooms?
Stargold in http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28199729-post1177.html suggests that access to sleeping rooms is as follows:
'* No reservations allowed - always first-come first-served
* Only available if the remaining time until the flight departure is more than 4 hours
* Passengers are allowed maximum six hours' usage - for any further usage, a fee of QAR 450 is payable for a second block of six hours.
* No F&B of any kind except bottled water in the sleeping rooms.'

What changes can I expect during Ramadan?
Ramadan affects QR and you in many ways so please look at ramadan to see how you are affected.

Updated: 19/11/2023

Print Wikipost

QR Al Safwa First Class Lounge

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5, 2021, 3:50 pm

Programs: OWE, *G
Originally Posted by redmanmark86
According to the wiki and what I got of this thread as my dxb-doh is less then 6 hours and my business doh-ams is the bulk of my flight I should be granted access to Al Safwa and it should have only have been granted when I did ams-doh-dxb.

So maybe the rules have changed and all that matters now is that you have a first class ticket on any part?

And thank you, enjoying it much more as last time I only got like 45 minutes if that as my connevtion time was an hour and ten minutes.
If I understand you correct - on DXB-DOH-AMS you were allowed into Al Safwa on the basis that your 1 hour flight from Dubai to Doha was in First? That is a really interesting development if it can be confirmed as a rule change!
Old Oct 5, 2021, 4:56 pm

Programs: Non-status paid F/J (best value for $$$)
Originally Posted by Andrew35K
If I understand you correct - on DXB-DOH-AMS you were allowed into Al Safwa on the basis that your 1 hour flight from Dubai to Doha was in First? That is a really interesting development if it can be confirmed as a rule change!
Or it could be the case of a lazy programmer. As long as the PNR contains a "First Class" segment (regardless of length of flight), an "OK" message will be sent back to the Android device used by the staff at the bottom of the escalator when the boarding pass is scanned.
Old Oct 5, 2021, 8:59 pm

Programs: AA Platinum
Originally Posted by daniellam
Or it could be the case of a lazy programmer. As long as the PNR contains a "First Class" segment (regardless of length of flight), an "OK" message will be sent back to the Android device used by the staff at the bottom of the escalator when the boarding pass is scanned.
I feel like its a mistake or we would know if its a policy change but maybe not. At any rate I am now most definitely am going to try to get access coming in from DXB in F.

Last edited by happiest_at_40000; Oct 5, 2021 at 9:08 pm
Old Oct 6, 2021, 3:41 am

Originally Posted by daniellam
Hopefully it’s not, as you say, a case of a lazy programmer. It would make sense to allow any F-class travellers into Al Safwa on the basis that Al Mourjan is extremely full during peak hours.

In any case, I will try it when I pass by in November (transiting from Dubai).
Old Oct 6, 2021, 4:11 am

So you all are basically saying that usually the rule is:
DOH-DXB is marked as First so you’re granted access to AS
but return leg DXB-DOH-Somewhere you aren’t supposed to be allowed coming into DOH from an F class flight??
Old Oct 6, 2021, 5:06 am

Originally Posted by NickRivas
So you all are basically saying that usually the rule is:
DOH-DXB is marked as First so you’re granted access to AS
but return leg DXB-DOH-Somewhere you aren’t supposed to be allowed coming into DOH from an F class flight??
That’s the rule. Question is if QR has relaxed/changed it to allow any F arrival, even less than 6 hour flight, to access AS.
Old Oct 6, 2021, 1:44 pm

Programs: AA Platinum
I dont think the flight being 1 hour Vs 3 hours or w/e matters. If its inside the ME they are marketed as F. I think this person was let in by mistake or by someone who just was being nice maybe. Or maybe the policy has actually changed and the ordering of the F ticket doesnt matter so you can access on arrival. That would match up with OW although I realize its not a OW lounge. This is very interesting as I would love to get into AS on the DXB-DOH-USA trip I have but certainly wasnt planning on it since this was always a known NO.
Old Oct 7, 2021, 3:11 am

Originally Posted by happiest_at_40000
I dont think the flight being 1 hour Vs 3 hours or w/e matters. If its inside the ME they are marketed as F. I think this person was let in by mistake or by someone who just was being nice maybe. Or maybe the policy has actually changed and the ordering of the F ticket doesnt matter so you can access on arrival. That would match up with OW although I realize its not a OW lounge. This is very interesting as I would love to get into AS on the DXB-DOH-USA trip I have but certainly wasnt planning on it since this was always a known NO.
It’s on the basis of flight length that the ME was excluded. There was (is?) a rule saying that the incoming F flight must be a certain amount of hours, iirc 6 hours, to allow access to AS when connecting to a non-F flight. Hence the shorthauls were excluded while allowing the A380 F arrivals from LHR, CDG, FRA, CAN, SYD, MEL, PER access.

It would be interesting if anyone has a DXB-DOH-XXX flight in the coming days and can report back.
Old Oct 7, 2021, 4:19 am

Originally Posted by happiest_at_40000
It could also be a temporary thing which might be reverted to the original policy at any time (e.g. with the intention to reduce crowds in AM while it allows OWE and OWS status access).

Sadly difficult to know as it seems QR loathes publishing clear access rules on their site… Let’s see from the next person who posts their experience, perhaps they know to ask the necessary questions and are willing to share the answers.
ISTFlyer likes this.
Old Oct 12, 2021, 8:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by Andrew35K
Noone downstairs today. The nice man upstairs had no issues letting us in with First boarding pass issued on a short haul "F" flight connecting to longhaul J.
mpeterson78 and Andrew35K like this.
Old Oct 12, 2021, 8:31 pm

Originally Posted by rankourabu
Noone downstairs today. The nice man upstairs had no issues letting us in with First boarding pass issued on a short haul "F" flight connecting to longhaul J.
I think at this point we can confirm the rules for short haul F connecting to J is allowed access to Al Safwa.

My friend who came back 3 days after me doing a DXB-DOH-FRA called Qatar when moving his ticket (he was originally meant to go AMS but they switched stock so no Qsuite) and asked them if he would be allowed into Al Safwa for his 8 hour connection and they confirmed he would be allowed.

When he got there they let him in with no issue, he even managed to get a room for a 6 hour sleep.
Old Oct 16, 2021, 10:05 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by redmanmark86
I think at this point we can confirm the rules for short haul F connecting to J is allowed access to Al Safwa.

My friend who came back 3 days after me doing a DXB-DOH-FRA called Qatar when moving his ticket (he was originally meant to go AMS but they switched stock so no Qsuite) and asked them if he would be allowed into Al Safwa for his 8 hour connection and they confirmed he would be allowed.

When he got there they let him in with no issue, he even managed to get a room for a 6 hour sleep.
Indeed so. Yesterday my wife and I flew AMM-DOH in F then DOH-ORD in J. Went to AS desk (no one downstairs at the escalator), guy at the desk scanned my BP then stared at the screen for a bit. He said something to his colleague who came over, pointed at the screen and told him "Yes, because they were in First from Amman." Stamped BP and on our way. Nice.
Old Oct 18, 2021, 7:06 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Tesco, Nectar
P/A bucket but LITE fare?

I'm looking at some tickets: Middle East - DOH - USA (MEA-DOH is FIRST class and 3 hrs)
The fare classes are P & A and then on the return P & A. Confusingly, the fare I selected was 'Business Lite' which stated lounge access was not included. WIll I get to access Al Safwa (at least on the return)?
Old Oct 22, 2021, 9:36 am

Programs: Thai Airways
Originally Posted by 84fiero
Indeed so. Yesterday my wife and I flew AMM-DOH in F then DOH-ORD in J. Went to AS desk (no one downstairs at the escalator), guy at the desk scanned my BP then stared at the screen for a bit. He said something to his colleague who came over, pointed at the screen and told him "Yes, because they were in First from Amman." Stamped BP and on our way. Nice.
Sitting in the AS lounge having travelled AMM-DO in F and 4 hour transit to J Class flight. Reception in the lounge advised me that allowing F to J to use AS lounge is a recent introduction for all such travel.
Old Oct 25, 2021, 10:10 am

Programs: Southwest A List Preferred, Bonvoy Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, American Airlines Gold
Flying DMM-DOH-DFW, and I was allowed in AS no problems. Food was okay. Getting the last quiet room that was available was awesome.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.