Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 5, 2015, 11:11 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: CPH-Flyer
READ BEFORE COMMENTING IF YOU ARE NEW,

Hamad International Airport (HIA) offers passengers a number of different lounges.

This thread, is specifically for the Al Safwa First Class Lounge. Information on the other Lounge options at HIA, can be found here.

Does Al Safwa have a web page?
Yes: http://www.qatarairways.com/global/e...-al-safwa.page

Dining Menu
https://www.qatarairways.com/content...-dining-en.pdf

Where can I find Al Safwa Lounge?
The Lounge is located on Level 3 of the airport.

Can I use the Qatar Airways Al Safwa Lounge?

Access is based on your underlying fare bucket. This means that upgraded tickets, maybe except upgrades with QPoints (see post 2735), are not granted access.

Access is thus restricted to Qatar Airways First Class, and OneWorld First Class passengers :
- either holding a First Class boarding pass* for their next flight
- or holding a First Class boarding pass from their previous flight.

Additionally, Privilege Club platinum club travelling on any business-class fare are welcomed into the lounge. This is a facility introduced recently and one that could just as easily disappear.

- Guests are not permitted.
* Operational Upgrades to First do not give access. Upgrades with Qpoints may do give acces (see post 2735 - Sept 2022)

Arrival access on mid and long haul? (eg. coming from LHR in F)

YES

​​​​​
Ex. CAI-DOH-HEL
Arrival access regional F? (eg. coming from CAI in F)

Yes.
Caveat, if your underlying J fare is P, then the no lounge access for business light kicks in. And there is no access.

Privilege Club Platinum members are currently allowed in the lounge when travelling on any QR business-class fare: that could change. Other Oneworld Emerald members are directed to the Platinum lounge(s) when travelling in any class, and the Al Mourjan lounge when travelling on relevant business-class fares. Yup, it gets complicated.

What does the lounge look like?
Reports on the Lounge, can be found here and here. Photographs of the lounge, can be found here.

Is there a Spa?
Yes, there is a full Spa, but you will have to pay for treatments. A full list of treatments available can be found here

What about the sleeping rooms?
Stargold in http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28199729-post1177.html suggests that access to sleeping rooms is as follows:
'* No reservations allowed - always first-come first-served
* Only available if the remaining time until the flight departure is more than 4 hours
* Passengers are allowed maximum six hours' usage - for any further usage, a fee of QAR 450 is payable for a second block of six hours.
* No F&B of any kind except bottled water in the sleeping rooms.'

What changes can I expect during Ramadan?
Ramadan affects QR and you in many ways so please look at ramadan to see how you are affected.

Updated: 19/11/2023

Print Wikipost

QR Al Safwa First Class Lounge

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22, 2021, 1:27 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75k
Originally Posted by realgaga
Why did you think you would have access to Al Safwa?
Maybe I didn't scroll back far enough but I got the impression that any business class tickets regardless of fare code can have paid entry into AS. I was mistaken.

Last edited by moarmiles; Sep 22, 2021 at 1:39 pm
Old Sep 23, 2021, 4:53 am

Was just at DOH twice this month on an R fare.

Tried to get into Al Safwa and pay for the entrance. Front desk agent asked me “if I tried Al Mourjan”, and I told him we would like to use Al Safwa. And he said “unfortunately you have an R Class fare, so you’re not eligible to pay for an upgrade or have access at all - but you can pay for Al Mourjan entry.”

I told him that we booked our tickets before the new fare restrictions and therefore should be grandfathered in. He looked up our booking dates, confirmed we were booked before November 2020 and made a phone call and then said we could pay for access.

So it worked! But this will only apply to a small percentage of R fare guests. Another member of our party flew through Hammad a couple days later with an R fare (booked over this summer) was denied (rightfully, because he booked his ticket well after the changes).

We got two rooms, one double room for my wife and me. One single room for my mother in law.

after our time was up, we went to Al Mourjan for an hour (the check in guy there was confused because he thought the stamp on our pass meant we had just come from AM, but I explained we had just come from Al Safwa). I was ready to explain we booked our ticket before the rule change - but no need, he just let us in.
Carfield and crackjack like this.
Old Sep 23, 2021, 8:26 am

Recent visit to Al Safwa:

Carfield, PresRDC, mcgahat and 8 others like this.
Old Sep 25, 2021, 7:43 am

Programs: Etihad
Hi all,

How long before my flight will I be allowed entry to the lounge? I will be travelling directly from Doha, with hand luggage only, and my flight is at 02:00. I was hoping to arrive at the airport sometime in the afternoon (2pm or so) and just spend the time in the lounge. Would this be possible?
Old Sep 25, 2021, 8:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by mcfcok27
Hi all,

How long before my flight will I be allowed entry to the lounge? I will be travelling directly from Doha, with hand luggage only, and my flight is at 02:00. I was hoping to arrive at the airport sometime in the afternoon (2pm or so) and just spend the time in the lounge. Would this be possible?
You could access the Al Safwa lounge from 24 hours before your flight till departure if you are flying First Class out of Doha.
Same applies to paid access, however, you need to pay for every 6 hours.
mcgahat and Traveller999 like this.
Old Sep 25, 2021, 11:24 am

Programs: Privilege Club - Platinum
What is the entry policy to Al Sawfa if you hold a business class ticket but are a Platinum member, especially if you book the lite business fare that does not include lounge access?
Old Sep 25, 2021, 1:05 pm

Programs: It's Complicated...
Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
You could access the Al Safwa lounge from 24 hours before your flight till departure if you are flying First Class out of Doha.
is it really 24 hours before? That seems like a really long time.
Old Sep 26, 2021, 1:42 am

Programs: Etihad
Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
Thank you. I am flying on an award ticket in Business paid for with QMiles. I am a Platinum member. Will I still be able to access the lounge early given this context, even though I am not flying First Class?
Old Sep 26, 2021, 3:08 pm

Programs: AS MVP100K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by senatorbrown
Was just at DOH twice this month on an R fare.

Tried to get into Al Safwa and pay for the entrance. Front desk agent asked me “if I tried Al Mourjan”, and I told him we would like to use Al Safwa. And he said “unfortunately you have an R Class fare, so you’re not eligible to pay for an upgrade or have access at all - but you can pay for Al Mourjan entry.”

I told him that we booked our tickets before the new fare restrictions and therefore should be grandfathered in. He looked up our booking dates, confirmed we were booked before November 2020 and made a phone call and then said we could pay for access.

So it worked! But this will only apply to a small percentage of R fare guests. Another member of our party flew through Hammad a couple days later with an R fare (booked over this summer) was denied (rightfully, because he booked his ticket well after the changes).

We got two rooms, one double room for my wife and me. One single room for my mother in law.

after our time was up, we went to Al Mourjan for an hour (the check in guy there was confused because he thought the stamp on our pass meant we had just come from AM, but I explained we had just come from Al Safwa). I was ready to explain we booked our ticket before the rule change - but no need, he just let us in.
This pretty much lines up with my experience. Some agents haven’t even heard of buying AS access. Just keeping pushing until they ask a manager.
Old Sep 27, 2021, 4:12 pm

Programs: AA: Platinum pro Hyatt Globalist
Al Safwa lounge upgrade??

I have a flight with Qatar next week in business class. I have a 15 hour layover and really want to upgrade to the first class lounge. When I open my booking it does not give me the option. Does it usually pop up closer to departure or do I have to just ask when I land in Qatar?
Old Sep 27, 2021, 5:13 pm

Programs: Qatar Gold (OWS), Asiana Diamond (*G)
Originally Posted by Cali08
I have a flight with Qatar next week in business class. I have a 15 hour layover and really want to upgrade to the first class lounge. When I open my booking it does not give me the option. Does it usually pop up closer to departure or do I have to just ask when I land in Qatar?
It should be under 'upgrade options' but if it isn't, then you can just ask at the escalator leading to Al Safwa.
Old Sep 29, 2021, 5:01 am

Programs: Delta SM
I'm planning to book an award flight through American Airlines AMS-DOH-DXB. DOH-DXB is classified as first and I have a 15 hour layover. Will I be able to access Al Safwa?
Old Sep 29, 2021, 6:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by ruby&carlos
I'm planning to book an award flight through American Airlines AMS-DOH-DXB. DOH-DXB is classified as first and I have a 15 hour layover. Will I be able to access Al Safwa?
Yes, you would have access to Al Safwa for your entire layover.
Old Sep 29, 2021, 5:49 pm

Programs: AA MM, AA EXP; OW Emerald, EK silver
OW emerald on a non R ticket. Do I have access to AS for my layover?
Old Sep 29, 2021, 5:56 pm

Programs: Qatar Gold (OWS), Asiana Diamond (*G)
Originally Posted by dwugson
OW emerald on a non R ticket. Do I have access to AS for my layover?
No, only QRPC Plats ticketed in J class can get free AS access.
ISTFlyer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.