Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 5, 2015, 11:11 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: CPH-Flyer
READ BEFORE COMMENTING IF YOU ARE NEW,

Hamad International Airport (HIA) offers passengers a number of different lounges.

This thread, is specifically for the Al Safwa First Class Lounge. Information on the other Lounge options at HIA, can be found here.

Does Al Safwa have a web page?
Yes: http://www.qatarairways.com/global/e...-al-safwa.page

Dining Menu
https://www.qatarairways.com/content...-dining-en.pdf

Where can I find Al Safwa Lounge?
The Lounge is located on Level 3 of the airport.

Can I use the Qatar Airways Al Safwa Lounge?

Access is based on your underlying fare bucket. This means that upgraded tickets, maybe except upgrades with QPoints (see post 2735), are not granted access.

Access is thus restricted to Qatar Airways First Class, and OneWorld First Class passengers :
- either holding a First Class boarding pass* for their next flight
- or holding a First Class boarding pass from their previous flight.

Additionally, Privilege Club platinum club travelling on any business-class fare are welcomed into the lounge. This is a facility introduced recently and one that could just as easily disappear.

- Guests are not permitted.
* Operational Upgrades to First do not give access. Upgrades with Qpoints may do give acces (see post 2735 - Sept 2022)

Arrival access on mid and long haul? (eg. coming from LHR in F)

YES

​​​​​
Ex. CAI-DOH-HEL
Arrival access regional F? (eg. coming from CAI in F)

Yes.
Caveat, if your underlying J fare is P, then the no lounge access for business light kicks in. And there is no access.

Privilege Club Platinum members are currently allowed in the lounge when travelling on any QR business-class fare: that could change. Other Oneworld Emerald members are directed to the Platinum lounge(s) when travelling in any class, and the Al Mourjan lounge when travelling on relevant business-class fares. Yup, it gets complicated.

What does the lounge look like?
Reports on the Lounge, can be found here and here. Photographs of the lounge, can be found here.

Is there a Spa?
Yes, there is a full Spa, but you will have to pay for treatments. A full list of treatments available can be found here

What about the sleeping rooms?
Stargold in http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28199729-post1177.html suggests that access to sleeping rooms is as follows:
'* No reservations allowed - always first-come first-served
* Only available if the remaining time until the flight departure is more than 4 hours
* Passengers are allowed maximum six hours' usage - for any further usage, a fee of QAR 450 is payable for a second block of six hours.
* No F&B of any kind except bottled water in the sleeping rooms.'

What changes can I expect during Ramadan?
Ramadan affects QR and you in many ways so please look at ramadan to see how you are affected.

Updated: 19/11/2023

Print Wikipost

QR Al Safwa First Class Lounge

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3, 2021, 3:47 am

Programs: QR PC Platinum
Originally Posted by pbmac88
Husband and I both have QRPC Platinum status; Travelling on D/I (first leg going to DOH on D, leaving DOH to BCN on I) - do we get access to AS? Would we need to pay?
You will definitely have free access to AS.
Old Dec 3, 2021, 3:48 am

Programs: BAEC GGL
Great, thank you
Old Dec 3, 2021, 8:48 am
formerly JackDann

Have tried to read everything here in order to answer my question, but am struggling.

Am flying into Doha in on an A class ticket - connecting onto a J class fare, which lounge will I have access to.
I am then flying from Doha on an A class ticket on return, from a J class flight, same question.

Help appreciated.
Old Dec 3, 2021, 4:51 pm

Originally Posted by JackDann
Have tried to read everything here in order to answer my question, but am struggling.

Am flying into Doha in on an A class ticket - connecting onto a J class fare, which lounge will I have access to.
I am then flying from Doha on an A class ticket on return, from a J class flight, same question.

Help appreciated.
It’s explicit in the wiki that J->F has Al Safwa access. From recent posts, it also seems clear that F->J is allowed access to AS.

The only exception being if you are on a P-fare, seems the P-fare’s lack of lounge access overrides the A leg’s normal access to AS.
Originally Posted by peckishpassport
They confirmed to me on twitter that I will be able to access the AS F lounge.

Inbound F from AMM and outbound is in J.
Originally Posted by mpeterson78
Can also confirm being given access to lounge based on incoming F (A fare class) and outgoing J (I fare class). Seems this is pretty standard now.

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
We have been denied admittance to the Al Safwa lounge saying that our fare does not qualify nor does our OneWorld Emerald status allow us to access it. We were taken to the Al Mourjan lounge.

Details:
We have an outbound ticket that is an P fare with an A class on to our final destination. I had checked and understood that A class was entitled to the lounge. However, I was told that the underlying fare is P, thus it is irrelevant that we are flying First onward.

[EDIT]One caveat to note: just saw this post suggests that the situation is temporary, but it could have been said to placate the flyer and again, nothing published, so…
Originally Posted by superbobx2

Lounge manager said that the inward flight access (F connecting to J) is a temporary arrangement. My read is because of the overcrowding in the business lounge and some of the lounges remaining closed, they put this into place and the policy will revert to whatever it was.
​​​​​…

Last edited by crackjack; Feb 8, 2022 at 8:19 am
Old Dec 3, 2021, 4:59 pm

Originally Posted by popoemt
That link describes they would have been rejected on a R fare (if purchased after Nov 2020)? Is that the case, or is it, now, anything R and above can buy in (no P fares)?

*We purchased R fare in March 2021.
The post I quoted above was written in September - R fares were only given access to the Al Mourjan lounge retroactively from 1 Oct (https://www.qatarairways.com/tradepo...eFamilies.html: “Will I get complimentary access if I booked Business Classic (RBD R) prior to 4 September 2021, but am travelling post 1 October 2021? Yes, we will give customers access to the more generous and updated Business Classic attributes and will provide complimentary lounge access.”)

That doesn’t necessarily mean such older R fares were also made eligible for buying access to AS post 1 Oct, but might as well try your luck. Do report back!

Last edited by crackjack; Dec 3, 2021 at 5:22 pm Reason: Found the retroactive lounge access policy was effected 1 Oct.
Old Dec 3, 2021, 11:53 pm

I just (1 Dec) flew through Doha with an R-fare purchased prior to 1 Oct and was able to purchase an upgrade to AS with no problems.
popoemt and crackjack like this.
Old Dec 4, 2021, 6:58 pm

Programs: UA Platinum
Originally Posted by dibbzlive
I just (1 Dec) flew through Doha with an R-fare purchased prior to 1 Oct and was able to purchase an upgrade to AS with no problems.
Perfect thank you.
Old Dec 4, 2021, 6:59 pm

Programs: UA Platinum
Originally Posted by crackjack
The post I quoted above was written in September - R fares were only given access to the Al Mourjan lounge retroactively from 1 Oct (https://www.qatarairways.com/tradepo...eFamilies.html: “Will I get complimentary access if I booked Business Classic (RBD R) prior to 4 September 2021, but am travelling post 1 October 2021? Yes, we will give customers access to the more generous and updated Business Classic attributes and will provide complimentary lounge access.”)

That doesn’t necessarily mean such older R fares were also made eligible for buying access to AS post 1 Oct, but might as well try your luck. Do report back!
Got it, thanks for the reply, will report back, hoping for a similar experience like below.
Old Dec 6, 2021, 10:27 am

I see that F to J connections are now allowed to utilize AS. Great! My question is, how do annual QR guest passes for the lounge work? I have an upcoming flight and was planning to guest a friend into the lounge. Does that mean I can only use AM then? Or can I guest her into AS since I'll have access coming off of my F flight? I'm only QR Silver if that makes a difference. Thanks!
Old Dec 6, 2021, 10:31 am

Programs: Qatar Gold (OWS), Asiana Diamond (*G)
Originally Posted by cctible
I see that F to J connections are now allowed to utilize AS. Great! My question is, how do annual QR guest passes for the lounge work? I have an upcoming flight and was planning to guest a friend into the lounge. Does that mean I can only use AM then? Or can I guest her into AS since I'll have access coming off of my F flight? I'm only QR Silver if that makes a difference. Thanks!
In my experience of using a guest pass, you tell the person below the escalator scanning the BP that you want to guest someone in using a guest pass, they radio to reception above and if they give the OK, you proceed to the counter.
Old Dec 6, 2021, 12:09 pm

Programs: QR PC Platinum
Originally Posted by realgaga
In my experience of using a guest pass, you tell the person below the escalator scanning the BP that you want to guest someone in using a guest pass, they radio to reception above and if they give the OK, you proceed to the counter.
You will definitely not be able to guest your friend into AS.
Silver guest passes will under normal circumstances allow your guest access to the Business Class Lounge (not AM) when accompanied by you. Given that this lounge is currently closed you and your guest should be allowed into AM.
Old Dec 7, 2021, 2:20 am
HB7

Programs: BA Exec Club, SIA KrisFlyer, Qantas FF, Emirates Skywards
Just thought I'd add a data point here. I flew DMM - DOH in F (under an hour flight) and then DOH - FRA in J (6 hr flight) and had AS access with no issues at all. I just handed both my boarding passes and was allowed in.
Old Dec 7, 2021, 5:06 am

Originally Posted by kl1987
Silver guest passes will under normal circumstances allow your guest access to the Business Class Lounge (not AM) when accompanied by you. Given that this lounge is currently closed you and your guest should be allowed into AM.
Even if I'm in flying in J? That's kind if a bummer (for future uses when all lounges are open). I always fly in J, so I guess that means that if I ever want to use one if my guest passes, I have to "downgrade" myself to the QR Business Class Lounge? Boo!
Old Dec 9, 2021, 6:16 pm
Community Director Emerita

We were not allowed to use Al Safwa on our outbound flight despite our F class seat from Doha to Muscat. We were allowed to use it on the return. Our outbound fare was P. Our return fare was R.

We had a 19 hour layover in Doha. We had initially intended to spend it in Doha but cancelled when the entry requirements just seemed to onerous. Instead, we headed straight to Al Safwa and its bedrooms on arrival. Of the 12 rooms, 4 are doubles leaving 8 as singles. We were fortunate as a double was being cleaned as we arrived. On signing the document for our 6 free hours, we learned we could pay for 6 additional hours at just 450 Qatari riyals or $125 US. We found the room very comfortable with 2 single beds, a desk, two chairs, a TV, and a restroom with toilet, sink, and shower. We decided to pay the money for the additional time and thought this money well spent.

One the room was secured, we were able to come and go, leaving our luggage in the room. We left the room for lunch in Al Safwa. There is a sitdown restaurant with menu. We found the quality somewhat disappointing. Several hours later, we headed to Al Mourjan for their buffet dinner. It offered a number of well prepared Inidian dishes in addition to western dishes. It also had sushi made to order.

We then returned to Al Safwa. We each found a chair with footstool in an individual cubby. Either you sat in an upright position or the chair slammed back into near prone. There was no ability to stop it at intermediate points. The air conditioning was so high that we then moved to a family room. We were able to persuade the attendant to turn the AC down a bit. This was a comfortable place to wait out the rest of our time to boarding.

We found Wifi very weak. The lounge uses the free airport Wifi. We did not stay connected and had to repeatedly log back on.
msm2000uk and Loungeabout like this.
Old Dec 10, 2021, 2:54 am

Programs: QRPC Plat; Marriott Plat; Hilton Gold
I am flying into DOH in Eco and flying out DOH on BA in J. I am QR Plat and was wondering if i would be allowed in Al Safwa or is it only if flying on QR Metal?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.