Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 5, 2015, 11:11 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: CPH-Flyer
READ BEFORE COMMENTING IF YOU ARE NEW,

Hamad International Airport (HIA) offers passengers a number of different lounges.

This thread, is specifically for the Al Safwa First Class Lounge. Information on the other Lounge options at HIA, can be found here.

Does Al Safwa have a web page?
Yes: http://www.qatarairways.com/global/e...-al-safwa.page

Dining Menu
https://www.qatarairways.com/content...-dining-en.pdf

Where can I find Al Safwa Lounge?
The Lounge is located on Level 3 of the airport.

Can I use the Qatar Airways Al Safwa Lounge?

Access is based on your underlying fare bucket. This means that upgraded tickets, maybe except upgrades with QPoints (see post 2735), are not granted access.

Access is thus restricted to Qatar Airways First Class, and OneWorld First Class passengers :
- either holding a First Class boarding pass* for their next flight
- or holding a First Class boarding pass from their previous flight.

Additionally, Privilege Club platinum club travelling on any business-class fare are welcomed into the lounge. This is a facility introduced recently and one that could just as easily disappear.

- Guests are not permitted.
* Operational Upgrades to First do not give access. Upgrades with Qpoints may do give acces (see post 2735 - Sept 2022)

Arrival access on mid and long haul? (eg. coming from LHR in F)

YES

​​​​​
Ex. CAI-DOH-HEL
Arrival access regional F? (eg. coming from CAI in F)

Yes.
Caveat, if your underlying J fare is P, then the no lounge access for business light kicks in. And there is no access.

Privilege Club Platinum members are currently allowed in the lounge when travelling on any QR business-class fare: that could change. Other Oneworld Emerald members are directed to the Platinum lounge(s) when travelling in any class, and the Al Mourjan lounge when travelling on relevant business-class fares. Yup, it gets complicated.

What does the lounge look like?
Reports on the Lounge, can be found here and here. Photographs of the lounge, can be found here.

Is there a Spa?
Yes, there is a full Spa, but you will have to pay for treatments. A full list of treatments available can be found here

What about the sleeping rooms?
Stargold in http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28199729-post1177.html suggests that access to sleeping rooms is as follows:
'* No reservations allowed - always first-come first-served
* Only available if the remaining time until the flight departure is more than 4 hours
* Passengers are allowed maximum six hours' usage - for any further usage, a fee of QAR 450 is payable for a second block of six hours.
* No F&B of any kind except bottled water in the sleeping rooms.'

What changes can I expect during Ramadan?
Ramadan affects QR and you in many ways so please look at ramadan to see how you are affected.

Updated: 19/11/2023

Print Wikipost

QR Al Safwa First Class Lounge

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2022, 5:57 am

Programs: Skywards Plat, Qatar Gold
Originally Posted by realgaga
You won't be allowed entry into Al Safwa based on your ticket as upgraded tickets don't qualify for lounge access. You may be able to access a lounge with your FFP status if you're at least QR silver or OWS.
No option to buy it for 600 either? I am QR Gold (through status match)
Old Jan 7, 2022, 6:49 am

QR Plat: Flying from LHR in J and from DOH to DXB in Y. Am I eligible to use Al Safwa upon arrival when transiting onto a Y leg on QR ? If not, would Al Mourjan work ?
Old Jan 7, 2022, 10:29 am

Programs: American Airlines, Hilton
I am flying in July on the new AA Flight DOH-JFK in Flagship First...would I be able to visit Al Safa?
Old Jan 9, 2022, 12:48 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

If I am transiting from regional F (A class) to intercontinental J, would I be able to access the Al Safwa First Class Lounge? The wiki seems to say no. I'm also OWE, but I don't think that matters.
Old Jan 9, 2022, 6:50 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold
Originally Posted by dayone
If I am transiting from regional F (A class) to intercontinental J, would I be able to access the Al Safwa First Class Lounge? The wiki seems to say no. I'm also OWE, but I don't think that matters.
Depends on the fare class of your J ticket.
Old Jan 9, 2022, 7:30 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by mpeterson78
Depends on the fare class of your J ticket.
It is R.
Old Jan 9, 2022, 11:21 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL
@BavarianFlyer. Yes, if you are ticketed in first class on any oneworld airline, then you can visit Al-Safwa. This is based on prior experience where flying BA in F granted you access.
Carfield and BavarianFlyer like this.
Old Jan 10, 2022, 10:10 am

Programs: CX DM, BA G4L, QR PLT, EK PLT, Hyatt CourtesyC, HH DM, SQ PPS, BonvoyTit, UK, VS, UA, DL, AA
Originally Posted by dayone
It is R.
As things stand the answer is yes. But QR is constantly changing lounge access rules.
dayone likes this.
Old Jan 11, 2022, 5:35 am

Programs: QR Platinum, HH Diamond, FB Gold
The rules for the lounge are crazy, can't wrap my head around it.

Do I get access to the Al Safwa First Class lounge as a Qatar Platinum flying on a Business class award ticket issued by BA on QR Metal?

According to the Qatar Platinum contact center, the ticket has to be marketed and operated by Qatar. Can someone clarify on this, help is much appreciated.
Old Jan 11, 2022, 8:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by TKFrequentFlyer

Do I get access to the Al Safwa First Class lounge as a Qatar Platinum flying on a Business class award ticket issued by BA on QR Metal?

According to the Qatar Platinum contact center, the ticket has to be marketed and operated by Qatar. Can someone clarify on this, help is much appreciated.

The rules are crazy-complicated. But this is Qatar Airways, and as a bonus the rules can switch on a pin.

What matters is the rules, and how they are interpreted on the day.

The interpretation of current rules by the folk servicing the needs of the airline's elite appear to be that it's a no go for you. Learned voices on the internet may disagree with that, but those opinions count for little at Al Safwa's reception desk: the agents there are probably used to tears, pleading, outrage and the waving of print-outs.

so probably it's best to steel yourself to the spartan pleasure of one of the world's nicest business lounges: maybe a tad over-crowded, but still fine. A diversion to al Safwa will then be a lovely surprise.
plunet likes this.
Old Jan 11, 2022, 8:26 am

Programs: Qatar Gold (OWS), Asiana Diamond (*G)
Originally Posted by TKFrequentFlyer

The agent is correct. You have to be QRPC Plat travelling on a J class ticket issued on QR stock that isn't in fare class P (Business Lite).
Old Jan 11, 2022, 10:28 am

Programs: QR Platinum, HH Diamond, FB Gold
Originally Posted by realgaga
The agent is correct. You have to be QRPC Plat travelling on a J class ticket issued on QR stock that isn't in fare class P (Business Lite).
Originally Posted by IAN-UK
The rules are crazy-complicated. But this is Qatar Airways, and as a bonus the rules can switch on a pin.

What matters is the rules, and how they are interpreted on the day.

The interpretation of current rules by the folk servicing the needs of the airline's elite appear to be that it's a no go for you. Learned voices on the internet may disagree with that, but those opinions count for little at Al Safwa's reception desk: the agents there are probably used to tears, pleading, outrage and the waving of print-outs.

so probably it's best to steel yourself to the spartan pleasure of one of the world's nicest business lounges: maybe a tad over-crowded, but still fine. A diversion to al Safwa will then be a lovely surprise.

Thank you both for the clarification! Will then enjoy the business lounge, also not bad😁
Old Jan 11, 2022, 2:45 pm
formerly JackDann

I see from the Wiki that sleeping rooms are only available for connections over 4 hours and I was just reading a review that states you have to pay to use the showers located in the spa. Is there any other shower facilities I’ll be able to use?
Old Jan 11, 2022, 3:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by JackDann
I see from the Wiki that sleeping rooms are only available for connections over 4 hours and I was just reading a review that states you have to pay to use the showers located in the spa. Is there any other shower facilities I’ll be able to use?
There are complimentary shower facilities at the Al Safwa Lounge so no need to pay.
JD1905 likes this.
Old Jan 12, 2022, 9:23 am

Just fyi, if you book a flight on Qatar J using AA miles, they won’t let you purchase AS access…I asked nicely and even the supervisor said no lol

oh well at least AM isn’t that bad

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.