Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 5, 2015, 11:11 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: CPH-Flyer
READ BEFORE COMMENTING IF YOU ARE NEW,

Hamad International Airport (HIA) offers passengers a number of different lounges.

This thread, is specifically for the Al Safwa First Class Lounge. Information on the other Lounge options at HIA, can be found here.

Does Al Safwa have a web page?
Yes: http://www.qatarairways.com/global/e...-al-safwa.page

Dining Menu
https://www.qatarairways.com/content...-dining-en.pdf

Where can I find Al Safwa Lounge?
The Lounge is located on Level 3 of the airport.

Can I use the Qatar Airways Al Safwa Lounge?

Access is based on your underlying fare bucket. This means that upgraded tickets, maybe except upgrades with QPoints (see post 2735), are not granted access.

Access is thus restricted to Qatar Airways First Class, and OneWorld First Class passengers :
- either holding a First Class boarding pass* for their next flight
- or holding a First Class boarding pass from their previous flight.

Additionally, Privilege Club platinum club travelling on any business-class fare are welcomed into the lounge. This is a facility introduced recently and one that could just as easily disappear.

- Guests are not permitted.
* Operational Upgrades to First do not give access. Upgrades with Qpoints may do give acces (see post 2735 - Sept 2022)

Arrival access on mid and long haul? (eg. coming from LHR in F)

YES

​​​​​
Ex. CAI-DOH-HEL
Arrival access regional F? (eg. coming from CAI in F)

Yes.
Caveat, if your underlying J fare is P, then the no lounge access for business light kicks in. And there is no access.

Privilege Club Platinum members are currently allowed in the lounge when travelling on any QR business-class fare: that could change. Other Oneworld Emerald members are directed to the Platinum lounge(s) when travelling in any class, and the Al Mourjan lounge when travelling on relevant business-class fares. Yup, it gets complicated.

What does the lounge look like?
Reports on the Lounge, can be found here and here. Photographs of the lounge, can be found here.

Is there a Spa?
Yes, there is a full Spa, but you will have to pay for treatments. A full list of treatments available can be found here

What about the sleeping rooms?
Stargold in http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28199729-post1177.html suggests that access to sleeping rooms is as follows:
'* No reservations allowed - always first-come first-served
* Only available if the remaining time until the flight departure is more than 4 hours
* Passengers are allowed maximum six hours' usage - for any further usage, a fee of QAR 450 is payable for a second block of six hours.
* No F&B of any kind except bottled water in the sleeping rooms.'

What changes can I expect during Ramadan?
Ramadan affects QR and you in many ways so please look at ramadan to see how you are affected.

Updated: 19/11/2023

Print Wikipost

QR Al Safwa First Class Lounge

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6, 2022, 3:52 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Yeoman5
If I arrive in DOH on a Qatar flight in F and am in transit departing in J, am I allowed access to the F lounge?
Originally Posted by crackjack
Depends on your ‘J’ booking class, it seems.
Has the rule changed then? I though F connecting to J AS access was only historically for people connecting off F flights over 5 hours? That's assuming OP isn't connecting in from Paris or Heathrow.
Old Feb 6, 2022, 6:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by Schwann
Has the rule changed then? I though F connecting to J AS access was only historically for people connecting off F flights over 5 hours? That's assuming OP isn't connecting in from Paris or Heathrow.
It takes a bit of an effort to keep up with anecdotal reports that soon become this forum's lore on QR's rules and procedures. But it seems the five-hour rule is currently not applied, or has been superceded by a more lax interpretation that includes passengers connecting from regional-first flights. The single exception may, or may not, be connections leading to business-lite (P-class) travel.

Let's face it, five hours plus in F is something of a rare bird in current QR schedules.
crackjack likes this.
Old Feb 6, 2022, 6:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Originally Posted by IAN-UK
It takes a bit of an effort to keep up with anecdotal reports that soon become this forum's lore on QR's rules and procedures. But it seems the five-hour rule is currently not applied, or has been superceded by a more lax interpretation that includes passengers connecting from regional-first flights. The single exception may, or may not, be connections leading to business-lite (P-class) travel.

Let's face it, five hours plus in F is something of a rare bird in current QR schedules.
With the lease of CX 77W, QR has padded its F schedule a bit.
Old Feb 6, 2022, 7:26 am

Originally Posted by Schwann
Nothing published (par the course for QR), but it seems like there was an internal policy change: QR Al Safwa First Class Lounge

There were a few posts around the same time where it was reported that F regional to J long-haul will have access (again, excluding P fares).

[EDIT]One caveat to note: just saw this post suggests that the situation is temporary, but again, nothing published, so…
Originally Posted by superbobx2

Lounge manager said that the inward flight access (F connecting to J) is a temporary arrangement. My read is because of the overcrowding in the business lounge and some of the lounges remaining closed, they put this into place and the policy will revert to whatever it was.
​​​​​…
Schwann likes this.

Last edited by crackjack; Feb 8, 2022 at 8:23 am
Old Feb 6, 2022, 9:14 am

So in Feb: considering my LAX-DOH-DXB QR tix (no fancy QR or OW status). LAX - DOH Business class "I", which lounge/s can I use? (checking in at TBIT).
I figured on OW, but can I use Admiral's club? I've never been there so I don't know if it is so much better. Need some input.
Thx!
sorry, this is LAX related and not AS. hope someone knows. cheers!

Last edited by bvmcginnis; Feb 6, 2022 at 9:23 am
Old Feb 7, 2022, 8:40 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Glob, AA EXP, Marriott Tit
Is there a full list of regional destinations that are coded as first class? I'm aware of DXB, CAI, DMM etc but I would like to see a full list. I've searched and scrolled but with no success. Is IST on the list?
Old Feb 7, 2022, 1:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by houstr8male
Is there a full list of regional destinations that are coded as first class? I'm aware of DXB, CAI, DMM etc but I would like to see a full list. I've searched and scrolled but with no success. Is IST on the list?
(most) destinations in GCC countries plus Egypt, Jordan and Lebanon.

Istanbul is in Europe; Turkish destinations are J class.

My stab at current F city-pairs with DOH

​​​​​​

Last edited by IAN-UK; Feb 8, 2022 at 4:03 pm
Old Feb 7, 2022, 4:06 pm

Programs: Jose Cuervo Gold, Bud Light Platinum, Schwab 401K, VW Bug 2MM
Originally Posted by bvmcginnis
So in Feb: considering my LAX-DOH-DXB QR tix (no fancy QR or OW status). LAX - DOH Business class "I", which lounge/s can I use? (checking in at TBIT).
I figured on OW, but can I use Admiral's club? I've never been there so I don't know if it is so much better. Need some input.
Thx!
sorry, this is LAX related and not AS. hope someone knows. cheers!
OW biz class ticket will get you access to admirals club - but i'm not sure why you'd want to go there
You should also be able to access the AA flagship lounge, but I'm not sure thats worth the trek compared to the oneworld biz lounge.
bvmcginnis likes this.
Old Feb 8, 2022, 9:01 am

Originally Posted by exmike
OW biz class ticket will get you access to admirals club - but i'm not sure why you'd want to go there
You should also be able to access the AA flagship lounge, but I'm not sure thats worth the trek compared to the oneworld biz lounge.
Didn't consider AA flagship. thx. Yeah, went to AA F a some months back. prob not so worth the schlep.
Old Feb 8, 2022, 9:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by IAN-UK
(most) destinations in GCC countries plus Egypt, Jordan and Lebanon.

Istanbul is in Europe; Turkish destinations are J class.

My stab at current F city-pairs with DOH

​​​​​​
Alexandria and Luxor in Egypt are missing.
Old Feb 8, 2022, 3:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
Alexandria and Luxor in Egypt are missing.
I added only current destinations. No idea if Luxor, Suhar (and others) will resume, though I missed that Alex is online. Salalah operates as J
Old Feb 8, 2022, 6:27 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Qatar Airways, Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott, IHG
Hi all - does anyone have experience with or know if QRPC Plats flying long-haul J on a Qcredit upgrade get access to Safwa? I remember that the old/original rules were revenue or redemption F/Plat J only, but thought to check with the post-COVID lounge situation.

khabah
Old Feb 8, 2022, 6:53 pm

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
Originally Posted by kl1987
The room is included in the entry fee but there is no way to secure/guarantee a room beforehand.
If you arrive on the day and the rooms are all occupied then you have to be ready to accept that.
When I asked about purchase of F access I was told the price and that at the time I asked there were no sleep rooms available - so I went to AM.
crackjack likes this.
Old Feb 8, 2022, 10:58 pm

Originally Posted by khabah
Hi all - does anyone have experience with or know if QRPC Plats flying long-haul J on a Qcredit upgrade get access to Safwa? I remember that the old/original rules were revenue or redemption F/Plat J only, but thought to check with the post-COVID lounge situation.
I had the same question and saw that it has already been answered:
Originally Posted by Yenakad
Great experience, wife and I travelled together with infant daughter on upgraded Eco>Biz tickets (with QPoints) from Asia to Europe. As it was our first long-haul trip with an infant I booked the free Al Maha transfer service in Doha for Platinum members (both my wife and I are Platinums). After transit screening the agent asked if we want to go to Al Mourjan and Al Safa. I mention I am not sure if we are entitled for Al Safa. She told us to wait in front of the escalator while she went upstairs to check. Took a while and she came back and we went upstairs. Again waiting a moment at the reception, got our stamped boarding passes and headed for breakfast. Wonderful service and super helpful with our daughter. Flying back in January, will try again and see if we are admitted again. I realized while waiting at the reception that the checking for other people took quite a while. Really hope to get back again.
Originally Posted by Yenakad
Just to report back from our return journey. Same situation, it took a moment to check but finally we were admitted to Al Safa with our Eco>Biz tickets (with QPoints). Both of us are QR Plat. members.
crackjack likes this.
Old Feb 13, 2022, 12:35 am

Programs: BA Gold
Hello everyone, apologies if I’ve missed this somewhere, but is it still possible to pay to upgrade to Al Safwa if you’re on a business class ticket?

I know you used to be able to, and I have a 3 hour layover coming back from MEL coming up - so would be nice to go there again

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.