Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 5, 2015, 11:11 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: CPH-Flyer
READ BEFORE COMMENTING IF YOU ARE NEW,

Hamad International Airport (HIA) offers passengers a number of different lounges.

This thread, is specifically for the Al Safwa First Class Lounge. Information on the other Lounge options at HIA, can be found here.

Does Al Safwa have a web page?
Yes: http://www.qatarairways.com/global/e...-al-safwa.page

Dining Menu
https://www.qatarairways.com/content...-dining-en.pdf

Where can I find Al Safwa Lounge?
The Lounge is located on Level 3 of the airport.

Can I use the Qatar Airways Al Safwa Lounge?

Access is based on your underlying fare bucket. This means that upgraded tickets, maybe except upgrades with QPoints (see post 2735), are not granted access.

Access is thus restricted to Qatar Airways First Class, and OneWorld First Class passengers :
- either holding a First Class boarding pass* for their next flight
- or holding a First Class boarding pass from their previous flight.

Additionally, Privilege Club platinum club travelling on any business-class fare are welcomed into the lounge. This is a facility introduced recently and one that could just as easily disappear.

- Guests are not permitted.
* Operational Upgrades to First do not give access. Upgrades with Qpoints may do give acces (see post 2735 - Sept 2022)

Arrival access on mid and long haul? (eg. coming from LHR in F)

YES

​​​​​
Ex. CAI-DOH-HEL
Arrival access regional F? (eg. coming from CAI in F)

Yes.
Caveat, if your underlying J fare is P, then the no lounge access for business light kicks in. And there is no access.

Privilege Club Platinum members are currently allowed in the lounge when travelling on any QR business-class fare: that could change. Other Oneworld Emerald members are directed to the Platinum lounge(s) when travelling in any class, and the Al Mourjan lounge when travelling on relevant business-class fares. Yup, it gets complicated.

What does the lounge look like?
Reports on the Lounge, can be found here and here. Photographs of the lounge, can be found here.

Is there a Spa?
Yes, there is a full Spa, but you will have to pay for treatments. A full list of treatments available can be found here

What about the sleeping rooms?
Stargold in http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28199729-post1177.html suggests that access to sleeping rooms is as follows:
'* No reservations allowed - always first-come first-served
* Only available if the remaining time until the flight departure is more than 4 hours
* Passengers are allowed maximum six hours' usage - for any further usage, a fee of QAR 450 is payable for a second block of six hours.
* No F&B of any kind except bottled water in the sleeping rooms.'

What changes can I expect during Ramadan?
Ramadan affects QR and you in many ways so please look at ramadan to see how you are affected.

Updated: 19/11/2023

Print Wikipost

QR Al Safwa First Class Lounge

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2023, 9:31 am

Staying in the al-safwa in the very early morning within next week, I think between 5 am and 8 am, any chances to get any other food than breakfast during this time or are they doing on-demand all the day?
Old Mar 13, 2023, 8:21 pm

Programs: QR Platinum, Star Alliance Gold (LH Sen)
Originally Posted by kanexxz
Staying in the al-safwa in the very early morning within next week, I think between 5 am and 8 am, any chances to get any other food than breakfast during this time or are they doing on-demand all the day?
I think no, unfortunately. QR is well known NOT to be flexible in concern to their "rules".
Nevertheless, I will be there today around midnight and will ask the staff - I´ll let you know the answer then.
KingCanute likes this.
Old Mar 14, 2023, 3:04 am

Showing my bad habits here, but does the Al Safwa have a smoking room and does the duty free shop in the lounge sell cigarettes?
Old Mar 14, 2023, 3:09 am

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by ft101
Showing my bad habits here, but does the Al Safwa have a smoking room and does the duty free shop in the lounge sell cigarettes?
Yes and yes.
Old Mar 14, 2023, 12:09 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite; Aeroplan 35K; United Premier Silver, AAdvantage Platinum Pro
I'm thinking of booking a BA Multi Carrier. I'd arrive on BKK-DOH in F at 00:05 and then depart on DOH-LGW in at 01:05 the following day. I was just thinking of spending the whole day at the lounge, would I still have access or would they deny given that it is techically over a 24-hour connection?
Old Mar 14, 2023, 3:36 pm

Originally Posted by kanexxz
Originally Posted by Traveller999
I think no, unfortunately. QR is well known NOT to be flexible in concern to their "rules".
Nevertheless, I will be there today around midnight and will ask the staff - I´ll let you know the answer then.
As promised - I am in Al Safwa now and staff says “sorry but until 11am only the breakfast menu is out for selection”
Nevertheless, it is worth to ask when you arrive, sometimes miracles are happen ;-)
Old Mar 14, 2023, 3:45 pm

No champagne

I am in Al Safwa right now and guess what - NO Champagne available!
I don’t know if I should cry or laugh 😹
Just now the bar manager showed up with the last bottle of Laurent Perrier (no comment, as we all know the downgrade) champagne…but great effort from him

I think this is the worlds only first class lounge, where the champagne can run out 😂 a “real” 5 star experience ;-)
Old Mar 14, 2023, 3:52 pm

Programs: BA GGL / GfL
Just now the bar manager showed up with the last bottle of Laurent Perrier (no comment, as we all know the downgrade) champagne…but great effort from him

I think this is the worlds only first class lounge, where the champagne can run out 😂 a “real” 5 star experience ;-)
Sounds like QR’s F&B team are taking lessons from AA & BA’s F&B team who are managing the Chelsea lounge at JFK 🙄

Pilot37
seanp7 and Traveller999 like this.
Old Mar 14, 2023, 3:58 pm

i think it’s unusual that any F lounge have 24/7 - must be 1 AM now
Old Mar 14, 2023, 4:09 pm

Originally Posted by DirektornSE
Yes, you are right, it is around 1 AM!
I came here in the past at different times, at 5AM, at 5PM, at 11Pm, at 2PM and there never ever was a lack of Champagne.
Honestly, at a first class lounge, especially the mighty Al Safwa from the “best ever 5 star airline” ;-), I expect no lack of anything :-)
But that’s just my opinion
Tofino87 likes this.
Old Mar 14, 2023, 4:15 pm

Programs: AC, MH, BA, AF-KL
Originally Posted by DirektornSE
1am is one of the busiest times in DOH. If there's ever a prime time for the lounge, that would be it.

QR has several banks throughout the day so it makes perfect sense for lounges to be open 24/7.
seanp7, jah718, spizzy and 1 others like this.
Old Mar 14, 2023, 4:27 pm

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
Also, 1am in Doha is 6pm in New York, or 9am in Sydney. If someone wants to drink champagne at 1am local time, that should be an option - it's on the menu.

It certainly is turning a little into an AA/BA Chelsea situation. I stopped in AS 6am-7am on Sunday after some strong headwinds SYD-DOH, connecting to DOH-JFK. Sat at the bar and tried the Charles Heidsieck Rosé which was ok, and then drank water. As I was connecting to QR J, I just waited for the good stuff.

Seems strange that per my last visit and a recent post, you can get LP Alexandra in Al Mourjan North, and in QR J - but not AS.

Originally Posted by IAN-UK
​​​​​​...and I get irritated by all the greetings I get moving about in Safwa.
+1.
Traveller999 likes this.
Old Mar 14, 2023, 11:21 pm

Originally Posted by seanp7
Seems strange that per my last visit and a recent post, you can get LP Alexandra in Al Mourjan North, and in QR J - but not AS.
It does seem like a ball has been dropped with the AS supplies, and odd that stocks wouldn't be shared between lounges in the meantime. But hopefully it's just a matter of days now until the krug/clicquot/perignon tanker arrives with whatever new stuff is to delight us all. And when I say days, I mean less than 10, which is when I'll next be passing through
Traveller999 likes this.
Old Mar 14, 2023, 11:44 pm

Programs: AA EXP/LT PLAT, Marriott Titanium/LT PLAT
Came in on a DXB-DOH F and connecting to DOH-MAA in J … was allowed entry to the lounge. Champagne is Charles Heidsieck Rose. They don’t have any Brut available. The liquor selection is a bit poor for an F lounge.

The lounge is beautiful, spacious and large. After the morning bank departed, I felt like I was the only person in the lounge. Got a day room to sleep for a bit.

Gonna try out Al-Marjoun North after I wake up.

Took a nice nap in the day room for a few hours and then got ready and went for a walk. Went to Al-Marjoun North and ate some sushi. Nothing to get excited about.

Champagne being served is terrible .. Joseph Perrier Rose and a Martini sparkling wine so headed back to Al-Safwa.

The service is great at the lounge .. the WiFi isn’t working in the lounge or the airport so the attendants are proactively going around and connecting people to portable myWiFi devices so we can stay connected.

The food was pretty good though and enough so I didn’t have to eat till the next morning. I had to try the two desserts just to see what they were. Both were really good.

Last edited by anaggie; Mar 15, 2023 at 10:32 pm
Old Mar 15, 2023, 12:19 pm

Originally Posted by anaggie
Came in on a DXB-DOH F and connecting to DOH-MAA in J … was allowed entry to the lounge. Champagne is Charles Heidsieck Rose. They don’t have any Brut available. The liquor selection is a bit poor for an F lounge.

The lounge is beautiful, spacious and large. After the morning bank departed, I felt like I was the only person in the lounge. Got a day room to sleep for a bit.

Gonna try out Al-Marjoun North after I wake up.

Took a nice nap in the day room for a few hours and then got ready and went for a walk. Went to Al-Marjoun North and ate some sushi. Nothing to get excited about.

Champagne being served is terrible .. Joseph Perrier Rose and a Martini sparkling wine so headed back to Al-Safwa.

The service is great at the lounge .. the WiFi isn’t working in the lounge or the airport so the attendants are proactively going around and connecting people to portable myWiFi devices so we can stay connected.

Only a few days ago they were serving this in AM north... QR are so hit and miss
spizzy and Traveller999 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.