Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 5, 2015, 11:11 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: CPH-Flyer
READ BEFORE COMMENTING IF YOU ARE NEW,

Hamad International Airport (HIA) offers passengers a number of different lounges.

This thread, is specifically for the Al Safwa First Class Lounge. Information on the other Lounge options at HIA, can be found here.

Does Al Safwa have a web page?
Yes: http://www.qatarairways.com/global/e...-al-safwa.page

Dining Menu
https://www.qatarairways.com/content...-dining-en.pdf

Where can I find Al Safwa Lounge?
The Lounge is located on Level 3 of the airport.

Can I use the Qatar Airways Al Safwa Lounge?

Access is based on your underlying fare bucket. This means that upgraded tickets, maybe except upgrades with QPoints (see post 2735), are not granted access.

Access is thus restricted to Qatar Airways First Class, and OneWorld First Class passengers :
- either holding a First Class boarding pass* for their next flight
- or holding a First Class boarding pass from their previous flight.

Additionally, Privilege Club platinum club travelling on any business-class fare are welcomed into the lounge. This is a facility introduced recently and one that could just as easily disappear.

- Guests are not permitted.
* Operational Upgrades to First do not give access. Upgrades with Qpoints may do give acces (see post 2735 - Sept 2022)

Arrival access on mid and long haul? (eg. coming from LHR in F)

YES

​​​​​
Ex. CAI-DOH-HEL
Arrival access regional F? (eg. coming from CAI in F)

Yes.
Caveat, if your underlying J fare is P, then the no lounge access for business light kicks in. And there is no access.

Privilege Club Platinum members are currently allowed in the lounge when travelling on any QR business-class fare: that could change. Other Oneworld Emerald members are directed to the Platinum lounge(s) when travelling in any class, and the Al Mourjan lounge when travelling on relevant business-class fares. Yup, it gets complicated.

What does the lounge look like?
Reports on the Lounge, can be found here and here. Photographs of the lounge, can be found here.

Is there a Spa?
Yes, there is a full Spa, but you will have to pay for treatments. A full list of treatments available can be found here

What about the sleeping rooms?
Stargold in http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28199729-post1177.html suggests that access to sleeping rooms is as follows:
'* No reservations allowed - always first-come first-served
* Only available if the remaining time until the flight departure is more than 4 hours
* Passengers are allowed maximum six hours' usage - for any further usage, a fee of QAR 450 is payable for a second block of six hours.
* No F&B of any kind except bottled water in the sleeping rooms.'

What changes can I expect during Ramadan?
Ramadan affects QR and you in many ways so please look at ramadan to see how you are affected.

Updated: 19/11/2023

Print Wikipost

QR Al Safwa First Class Lounge

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13, 2016, 6:53 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Originally Posted by NoY
Am in Al Safwa now - very nice!

So......no access if arriving from DWC/DXB/AUH in F and connecting in J (because there is no F!) still...?
Correct. No access for those arriving in short-haul intra-Gulf F
Old Aug 13, 2016, 7:06 am

NoY access to Al Safwa is regulated by ONE rule and ONE exception.
Rule: you must be departing DOH in F since Al Safwa is a departure lounge.
Exception: Arriving in longhaul F (5+ hours flying time) you have access no matter what your onward cabin class is.
Old Aug 13, 2016, 9:41 am
NoY

Programs: SQ *Gold, BA, QR, EY, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, Amex Platinum
As I suspected. A shame but understood. Its a very nice facility. One of the best IMHO!
Old Aug 13, 2016, 12:10 pm

Hi, I feel like this question has been asked before (sorry!), but I have been looking through threads and searching various key words and can't find what I'm looking for. Basically, I'm wondering if a first class (Z) award ticket gives access to Al Safwa when departing from DOH? I know that normally award tickets DO include lounge access, but I vaguely remember reading a thread that discussed this scenario as an exception. I can't find that discussion now....and I sure hope I'm wrong! :-)
Old Aug 13, 2016, 12:39 pm

cctible If you are departing DOH in F on a QR ticket no matter how you 'purchased' it then you will have access to Al Safwa. OP ups do not give access.
Old Aug 13, 2016, 12:48 pm

Thanks remdk! That's great news!
Old Aug 13, 2016, 10:37 pm

Originally Posted by NoY
As I suspected. A shame but understood. Its a very nice facility. One of the best IMHO!
I was there 3 days ago around 3:00 / 4:00am and it was quite dead, some of the food stations were closed, coffee machine was not working (Service or cleaning)

The whole atmosphere was just odd for me. yes its nice... a lot of luxury, they have one internal duty free shop which has high end luxury items like Rolex Watches, or bulgari jewellery and stuff like that, but again I rather buy in the other shops.

I asked for any complimentary service, 20 minute massage or something like that and nothing...

I think I prefer Al Mourjan... does that make me less F class?

One good thing is that you get transportation to the plane from that specific lounge so you dont have to worry where is your gate, just pass the control area they have inside and they will take you to the plane (Perhaps for few flights without gate like Intra gulf ones).
Old Aug 14, 2016, 4:06 am
NoY

Programs: SQ *Gold, BA, QR, EY, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by LoungeBum
I was there 3 days ago around 3:00 / 4:00am and it was quite dead, some of the food stations were closed, coffee machine was not working (Service or cleaning)

The whole atmosphere was just odd for me. yes its nice... a lot of luxury, they have one internal duty free shop which has high end luxury items like Rolex Watches, or bulgari jewellery and stuff like that, but again I rather buy in the other shops.

I asked for any complimentary service, 20 minute massage or something like that and nothing...

One good thing is that you get transportation to the plane from that specific lounge so you dont have to worry where is your gate, just pass the control area they have inside and they will take you to the plane (Perhaps for few flights without gate like Intra gulf ones).
Each to their own.

I was there late morning until mid afternoon - excellent service, food, beverages. Great.

(they can improve the signage in there though- cr@p!!)

The last time I was in Al Mourjan the food was disgusting slop - no really - has it improved - I hope so? This was last October.
Old Aug 14, 2016, 4:11 am

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Originally Posted by LoungeBum

Massages are not complimentary, nor have they ever been in The Al Safwa Lounge. I appreciate EK and EY offer free short massages to their F customers at their home airports, but not QR.

A chauffeur service is available to those boarding from remote stand gates - this saves you a long walk and taking the bus...plus it's pretty cool!

I agree with Noy that the signage could be better, and this is something I'm told they are working on at present.

M
Old Aug 14, 2016, 10:32 am

Originally Posted by msm2000uk

A chauffeur service is available to those boarding from remote stand gates - this saves you a long walk and taking the bus...plus it's pretty cool!

M
Do they tell you about the chauffeur service when you enter the lounge? If not, how do you know that it's a remote gate for your particular flight?
Old Aug 14, 2016, 10:44 am

Originally Posted by cctible
Do they tell you about the chauffeur service when you enter the lounge? If not, how do you know that it's a remote gate for your particular flight?
The staff should mention it at the Reception Desk when you reach the top of the escalators.

However, if a boarding gate has not yet been allocated to your onward flight, it's always worth asking the staff prior to leaving the Lounge.

Additionally, Al Maha staff usually roam the Al Safwa calling out specific departures for Boarding - but the ones they call, are remote stands so they are quite helpful.

M
Old Aug 14, 2016, 3:41 pm

No, by default they don't.
Old Aug 14, 2016, 4:16 pm

If you are not told then look at the monitors dotted around.
Bus gates are C20-C30, D20-D30 and E20-E30.
Old Aug 15, 2016, 7:32 pm

Programs: QFF, AA, LM, EY
Originally Posted by msm2000uk
Massages are not complimentary, nor have they ever been in The Al Safwa Lounge. I appreciate EK and EY offer free short massages to their F customers at their home airports, but not QR.
So do QF. And BA. And LH. And AF.

QR may be unique in this - offering ONLY paid massages at their F lounge at their home port.

I was disappointed when this was first revealed and to be honest I am still disappointed.
Old Aug 15, 2016, 9:01 pm
NoY

Originally Posted by Nizar
So do QF. And BA. And LH. And AF.

QR may be unique in this - offering ONLY paid massages at their F lounge at their home port.

I was disappointed when this was first revealed and to be honest I am still disappointed.
I would certainly never choose an airline based on a free (probably 15 minutes in many cases) massage! Would you?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.