Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 5, 2015, 11:11 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: CPH-Flyer
READ BEFORE COMMENTING IF YOU ARE NEW,

Hamad International Airport (HIA) offers passengers a number of different lounges.

This thread, is specifically for the Al Safwa First Class Lounge. Information on the other Lounge options at HIA, can be found here.

Does Al Safwa have a web page?
Yes: http://www.qatarairways.com/global/e...-al-safwa.page

Dining Menu
https://www.qatarairways.com/content...-dining-en.pdf

Where can I find Al Safwa Lounge?
The Lounge is located on Level 3 of the airport.

Can I use the Qatar Airways Al Safwa Lounge?

Access is based on your underlying fare bucket. This means that upgraded tickets, maybe except upgrades with QPoints (see post 2735), are not granted access.

Access is thus restricted to Qatar Airways First Class, and OneWorld First Class passengers :
- either holding a First Class boarding pass* for their next flight
- or holding a First Class boarding pass from their previous flight.

Additionally, Privilege Club platinum club travelling on any business-class fare are welcomed into the lounge. This is a facility introduced recently and one that could just as easily disappear.

- Guests are not permitted.
* Operational Upgrades to First do not give access. Upgrades with Qpoints may do give acces (see post 2735 - Sept 2022)

Arrival access on mid and long haul? (eg. coming from LHR in F)

YES

​​​​​
Ex. CAI-DOH-HEL
Arrival access regional F? (eg. coming from CAI in F)

Yes.
Caveat, if your underlying J fare is P, then the no lounge access for business light kicks in. And there is no access.

Privilege Club Platinum members are currently allowed in the lounge when travelling on any QR business-class fare: that could change. Other Oneworld Emerald members are directed to the Platinum lounge(s) when travelling in any class, and the Al Mourjan lounge when travelling on relevant business-class fares. Yup, it gets complicated.

What does the lounge look like?
Reports on the Lounge, can be found here and here. Photographs of the lounge, can be found here.

Is there a Spa?
Yes, there is a full Spa, but you will have to pay for treatments. A full list of treatments available can be found here

What about the sleeping rooms?
Stargold in http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28199729-post1177.html suggests that access to sleeping rooms is as follows:
'* No reservations allowed - always first-come first-served
* Only available if the remaining time until the flight departure is more than 4 hours
* Passengers are allowed maximum six hours' usage - for any further usage, a fee of QAR 450 is payable for a second block of six hours.
* No F&B of any kind except bottled water in the sleeping rooms.'

What changes can I expect during Ramadan?
Ramadan affects QR and you in many ways so please look at ramadan to see how you are affected.

Updated: 19/11/2023

Print Wikipost

QR Al Safwa First Class Lounge

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27, 2016, 8:10 am

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)
Accessing using a refundable ticket and cancelling whilst in the lounge could be construed as theft. I'm not saying it would be, or that QR would come and turf you out the lounge and demand payment for anything you'd consumed, but far safer to do as the OP suggested and buy a reward ticket and simply don't fly it.

If (s)he is prepared to use the miles in exchange for lounge access, I don't see how there can be any issues there.
Old Oct 27, 2016, 9:47 am

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by Wozza2404
Accessing using a refundable ticket and cancelling whilst in the lounge could be construed as theft. I'm not saying it would be, or that QR would come and turf you out the lounge and demand payment for anything you'd consumed, but far safer to do as the OP suggested and buy a reward ticket and simply don't fly it.

If (s)he is prepared to use the miles in exchange for lounge access, I don't see how there can be any issues there.
Well you could say "I was going to India, but I changed my mind and I think I'd want to travel to Abu Dhabi instead, but my plans changed and the event I have in India was cancelled but now the issue is fixed"

I don't see it as theft as long as your "changing your travel plans" and legally using a service you're entitled to and not breaking any rules.
Old Oct 27, 2016, 10:51 am

Originally Posted by Wozza2404
Remember what I said about being "stupid in execution?"
Old Oct 27, 2016, 2:26 pm

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)
This is semantics. It comes down to what you're comfortable with morally. Personally I'd rather go down the miles route than cancelling a ticket, personally. As always, YMMV.
Old Nov 1, 2016, 11:42 pm

Originally Posted by weirdlyndon
I'll be transiting through DOH soon connecting to India in C, but since I have a twelve hour connection in DOH (purposely so I could do a Doha City Tour) was curious if anyone has had experience double booking themselves onto a DOH-DXB/AUH flight in F just to use the Al Safwa lounge. Since I'll only have access to Al Majouran lounge, I was thinking of using points to book a late PM flight to DXB or something just to get access to the F lounge, but then take my needed flight to India. Any reports of doing this?
If a recall correctly there are no fares that are completely refundable between DOH and DXB. All entail some form of cancellation fee.
Old Nov 1, 2016, 11:43 pm

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by yerffej201
If a recall correctly there are no fares that are completely refundable between DOH and DXB. All entail some form of cancellation fee.
How large is the fee?
Old Nov 2, 2016, 1:14 am

miamiflyer8 Change/cancellation fees are shown as part of the booking process. They vary from origin to origin, from destination to destination, from ticketing class to ticketing class and from offer to offer. If they were not retained during booking they can be difficult to find. You can get an idea as to their size by making a dummy booking but that is not always accurate.
Old Nov 2, 2016, 2:56 am

Programs: QR Gold / EK Gold / Bonvoy Plat
Originally Posted by weirdlyndon
I'll be transiting through DOH soon connecting to India in C, but since I have a twelve hour connection in DOH (purposely so I could do a Doha City Tour) was curious if anyone has had experience double booking themselves onto a DOH-DXB/AUH flight in F just to use the Al Safwa lounge. Since I'll only have access to Al Majouran lounge, I was thinking of using points to book a late PM flight to DXB or something just to get access to the F lounge, but then take my needed flight to India. Any reports of doing this?
I doubt that would work, because you would have to be "checked in" to your F DOH DXB flight to be able to use the lounge. So once you check in you have used the ticket and doubt you will get refund.

Also, there will be security issues on this.

I wouldn't try it.

S
Old Nov 2, 2016, 2:58 am

Programs: QR Gold / EK Gold / Bonvoy Plat
Access to Safwa Lounge if we upgrade with Miles

Hi

I'm planning to buy DXB-CDG under the new 2 for 1 biz class promotion with QR.

If I upgrade to F using QP miles, will I get access to the Safwa lounge ??

Thanks

S
Old Nov 2, 2016, 3:26 am

sanjaybabur the Wiki on this thread is very clear. If you hold a First class boarding pass you will have access unless it is an op-up.
Old Nov 2, 2016, 2:13 pm

Originally Posted by sanjaybabur
I doubt that would work, because you would have to be "checked in" to your F DOH DXB flight to be able to use the lounge. So once you check in you have used the ticket and doubt you will get refund.

Also, there will be security issues on this.

I wouldn't try it.
I wouldn't try it either, but not because of security issues. That doesn't stop people from doing it every day when a change of plans happens after they've checked in. Flexible tickets are handy for this and passing check in does not make them used.
Old Nov 4, 2016, 4:20 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Originally Posted by miamiflyer8
How has this method been unsuccessful?
On a recent trip I had to get a new boarding pass at the gate, and I was curious to find the text " CUSTOMER IN AL MOURJAN LOUNGE" printed on it.
I have no insight into what remdk stated, but if he is correct that might give you a clue as to how.
Old Nov 4, 2016, 4:53 am

Programs: QR Gold, BAEC, Marriott Rewards Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by intuition
On a recent trip I had to get a new boarding pass at the gate, and I was curious to find the text " CUSTOMER IN AL MOURJAN LOUNGE" printed on it.
I have no insight into what remdk stated, but if he is correct that might give you a clue as to how.
I had the same message on my new boarding card after arriving at the gate & discovering I'd been Op-upped to F. Backs up remdk's statement & the wiki entry.
Old Nov 4, 2016, 10:17 pm

Programs: TK Elite, Hilton Diamond, BA Silver
I was in the Al Safwa Lounge yesterday. I arrived around 4am and asked for a quiet room for my 4hrs layover but there was none available so I was offered one of the family rooms where guests who arrived earlier than me have also been directed. I asked the agent about the new policy of maximum 6 hours of use and she confirmed it, as the quiet rooms are getting more & more popular.
Old Nov 6, 2016, 7:14 pm

Programs: TINDER GOLD, STARBUCKS GOLD, COSTCO EXECUTIVE!!
Originally Posted by msm2000uk
Somebol - You will be granted access to the Al Safwa due to your incoming flight from SYD being in F.

Phaze - While I am usually one of the first to say that the Lounge Agents are unreliable, I have been granted access to the Al Safwa (on BA F boarding passes) four times in the past 2 months. At no stage have I been questioned, and there were a few other BA F passengers in the lounge too (on my flights).

M
This airline, like its owners and the rulers of the country, are not transparent about anything.

Another data point from a different thread:

Originally Posted by Dubh
I travelled on a QR Y ticket AUH-DOH-ZRH-DOH-AUH last week. I had my BA Gold status on the booking, and they pointed me to the Al Safwa lounge (and let me in!) on my return journey. This was on Wednesday 26th.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.