Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Lounge entitlement at Doha

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27, 2016, 6:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver (but only temporarily) AVIS Presidents Club, Starbucks Gold

Hi,

As mentioned in a previous post I'll be in Thailand over Christmas and New Year. As a BAEC Gold member which I believe translates into OneWorld Emerald status, + flying in Business; I've read (not on QR website though) that I should be able to access the Qatar 1st Class lounge at Doha. Is this correct?

TIA
ML
Old Oct 27, 2016, 6:57 am

Programs: QR Platinum
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qatar...dashboard.html

The forum's dashboard contains a lot of useful information, you can find everything there is to know about lounge access at HIA in this thread.
Old Oct 27, 2016, 6:57 am

Mountlodge the Al Safwa lounge is for QR and OW First class passengers only. OW status does not apply. this can be seen on https://www.oneworld.com/ffp/lounge-access.

To gain access to Al Safwa you must be departing DOH in F or arriving in longhaul F.
To gain access to Al Mourjan you must be departing DOH in J or arriving in longhaul J.
The first class lounge is available for PC platinum and OWEs. The Business class lounge is available for PC silver and Gold and OWSs.
Do not confuse the Al Safwa Premium First lounge with the much poorer, seldom praised, OWE First class lounge.
Old Oct 29, 2016, 12:15 pm
gms

Programs: BA Gold / GfL, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by remdk
Do not confuse the Al Safwa Premium First lounge with the much poorer, seldom praised, OWE First class lounge.
Indeed. To help manage Mountlodge's expectations as a BA status holder, the OWE First lounge at DOH is in my view comparable to a nice BA Galleries Club lounge (with the only significant difference being it will be quieter). It has a small dining area with a very limited selection (soup, sandwiches, salad/arabic mezze dishes and some small dessert items). Plus some staff with varying levels of attentiveness. Champagne available on request. Some self-serve drinks on a trolley. So don't go out of your way to spend any length of time in there!

Plus one of the giant video advertising boards is directly above this lounge, so every few seconds you are blinded by a new coloured of light pouring into the lounge from above
Old Oct 30, 2016, 5:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver (but only temporarily) AVIS Presidents Club, Starbucks Gold

Thank-you to everyone whom so kindly took time to reply to my query regarding lounge access at Doha.

The Business Class lounge at Doha I was hugely impressed with when I was there last year (Better than the 1st class BA lounge at T5). Ironically I've only ever twice flown J or F with BA twice preferring AA (Westbound), and Qatar (Eastbound) but fly BA between Edinburgh and London frequently so get good use out of my Gold status despite accruing the majority of my TP's and AVIOS on other OW carriers. I've thought on occasions about seeking status with either QR or AA but don't know if I would get the same lounge access when flying Economy on BA?

Kind regards,
ML
Old Oct 30, 2016, 7:56 am

Programs: QRPC Silver, BA Silver
Mountlodge

Im QR Plat and although i do take regular QR flights, BA domestics have been a good boost for my QPoints (i.e. BA TP equivalent) balance. Id say speaking to my BAEC friends that I seem to earn TPs faster (i.e. status) by crediting my BA flights to QR. But far far less miles (or Avios equivalent) So if status is what you want, perhaps consider crediting BA to QR. But if its miles/avios, then if you're a mainly BA flier i'd stick with BAEC.
Old Oct 30, 2016, 8:42 am

Programs: BA Silver
Two related questions hence not starting a new thread:

Does a QR ticket in J on DOH-IST route grants entry to the Al Mourjan lounge?

How early can one enter the lounge if arriving on the afternoon and leaving on the next morning?

Cheers.
Old Oct 30, 2016, 9:24 am

Innocent Abroad welcome to the QR forum.

If you are deprting DOH in J on QR then you will have access to Al Mourjan. This is as described in the Wiki on http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qatar...unges-hia.html.

If you have a J boarding pass you may enter Al Mourjan whenever you wish before departure.
Old Oct 30, 2016, 9:36 am

Originally Posted by remdk
Innocent Abroad welcome to the QR forum.

If you are deprting DOH in J on QR then you will have access to Al Mourjan. This is as described in the Wiki on http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qatar...unges-hia.html.

If you have a J boarding pass you may enter Al Mourjan whenever you wish before departure.
Much appreciated remdk! This is indeed my first post here but hopefully not the last I did browse the wiki but somewhere it said something about J on long haul flight so I was not sure about the IST flight. question
Old Oct 30, 2016, 10:07 am

Innocent Abroad if you arrive in J from a longhaul flight (more than 5 hours) and aare transferring to another OW flight then you may also use Al Mourjan no matter the class of the onward flight. Since IST has a flighttime of under four hours that rule does not apply to you.
Old Oct 30, 2016, 11:04 am

I see; well I don't (I arrive on QR in Y) but again I depart in J to IST on QR. Looking forward to that trip...
Old Oct 30, 2016, 10:20 pm

I travelled on a QR Y ticket AUH-DOH-ZRH-DOH-AUH last week. I had my BA Gold status on the booking, and they pointed me to the Al Safwa lounge (and let me in!) on my return journey. This was on Wednesday 26th.
Old Nov 6, 2016, 11:55 am

Programs: BA GGL / GFL, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Premium, IHG Gold, Hertz Gold
I was in the Al Safwa yesterday for the first time... all I can say is wow.. Even after the luxury of The Wing and The Pier in HKG, I've never been in a lounge which was quite so big and grand! I felt quite lucky as I arrived ex-LHR in J and was only on a short F onward segment to RUH.

Sadly on the return, I'll be arriving in shorthaul F and departing in longhaul J which means I think that I can get into the OneWorld First lounge or the Al Mourjan.. I doubt I will be as lucky as dubh
Old Nov 6, 2016, 12:22 pm

ThatT1Feeling welcome to the QR forum.

If you look at the Wiki on http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qatar...l#post27440458 you will see that you will have access to Al Mourjan on your return. There is a significant difference in quality between Al Mourjan and First class lounge.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.